HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rumour: Andrei Kostitsyn to Ak Bars Kazan?

Old
04-28-2008, 01:30 PM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
where does that leave gorges' captaincy tho?!
In Russia

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
In Russia
So, what, Hossa's in Kelowna?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
So, what, Hossa's in Kelowna?
I'm dizzy. Aren't you dizzy?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
You don't have to grow up in North America to want to win the Stanley Cup.
To want to win it, no you don't. To want to win it bad over anything else, you do. Most kids in Russia, don't know of the rest of Europe, although Sweden where I live now seems to be the same way, dream of OG and WCh. Kids in Russia begin hearing of the Stanley Cup's importance much later, when agents start they dealings. The NHL is not broadcast on free TV channels, why would they be motivated to dream of it, especially considering the Rus hockey history that they can draw inspiration from?

Quote:
If I grow up in South America, I'd dream to win the European Champions League. That's pretty common.
That's not common. Most kids that grow in South America, and I know that since I have family there, want World Cup, Copa Libertadores and Copa America. Euroleague is too far and detached from the fan base and has no national sentiment to be a primary dream of every kid.

Quote:
As far as living in Montreal v. Kazan, you might have your preference, but the majority of people would disagree.
The majority won't disagree since the majority never heard of Kazan. But I admit that am not a fan of Montreal, and I'll take any city where I have lived (Toronto, Moscow, Stockholm, Austin) over it.

Quote:
Why would Sergei Kostitsyn bother coming to Canada to player juinors? Why wouldn't he just play in the RSL if everything is more superior (better pay, better cities, better competition, chance to win the RSL championship)?
No need to generalize my words. The RSL is not better than the NHL. Nor S. Kostitsyn has anything to do with the RSL or Russia where he never played or lived.

Last edited by Den: 04-28-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Well, it's logical that it is important to a player that has been playing in NA for long and is established there, and had to fight through long NHL seasons and PO's year after year. The discussion in about "it's a dream of every player in the world". And I don't really think it's a dream of zaripovs', sushinskys' or kaluzhnys'. Not to mention that the S Cup is of marginal if not zero importance to the Russian fan base.

Quote:
I'd imagine if it's a dream for legendary Russian players like this, it'll e a dream for a Belarusian like Kostitsyn.
I have no idea what Kostitsyn's dreams are, quite likely its S Cup since he has been playing his ass off for this since 2005. But I do have a problem with the logic of a stament "if this is Larionov's dream, then surely this is every kids dream"

Last edited by Den: 04-28-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old
04-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
The majority won't disagree since the majority never heard of Kazan. But I admit that am not a fan of Montreal, and I'll take any city where I have lived (Toronto, Moscow, Stockholm, Austin) over it.
What's the basis for your prefence for Toronto over Montreal? (I've lived extensively in and think highly of both.)

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
What's the basis for your prefence for Toronto over Montreal? (I've lived extensively in and think highly of both.)
I think the city is taken much better care of (cleaning streets, trash, etc). And I really dislike the Chicago style buildings from the 30's that Plateau, West End and other neighborhoods are full of. They just fall apart inside.

Old
04-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Theran189

Quote:
I think the city is taken much better care of (cleaning streets, trash, etc). And I really dislike the Chicago style buildings from the 30's that Plateau, West End and other neighborhoods are full of. They just fall apart inside.
Plateau is one os the best conservated area for over a century old buildings...
And having been in Toronto a lot these past years it compares well to Montreal in terms of streets cleaning. There are severe fees given to montrealers putting their trashes to early on the street and it paid off...

Theran189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd ncnfzd View Post
Montreal's psy institute happens to be THE foremost world expert in epilepsy and other similar conditions, the first to develop medications to control and yes cure epilepsy.

In our familly my brother was a pioneer patient 40 years + ago and one of the first cured of the condition after 20 years. It is not surprising that it is here that Andrei's condition and medication was tweaked to advantage, it does not mean that he was receiving sub-standard attention back home.....there are only so many world class experts around and Montreal happens to be where the best practice in this field. (Lets hope we can maintain this world class standard)
Thanks for the insight, definitely another added plus in us keeping AKost.

04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Well if you don't like old architecture or Chicago style architecture (one of the great architectural cities in the world) then Toronto is definitely the place for you. Actually for modern architecture Vancouver is head and shoulders the prettiest city in Canada.

On street cleaning I have to agree Toronto is definitely better than Montreal. It's much harder to find a garbage can in Montreal than Toronto.

But both these factors relate more to visiting than living, no? Cost of living and location are such vital factors, especially in Toronto which covers far more area, has much lower density, and has much more variety between neighborhoods.

Old
04-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
I'm not particularly fond of the South-Central-LA style buildings of Malvern, and the crackhouse-kitsch of Jane and Finch.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Den

Quote:
Well if you don't like old architecture or Chicago style architecture (one of the great architectural cities in the world) then Toronto is definitely the place for you. Actually for modern architecture Vancouver is head and shoulders the prettiest city in Canada.

On street cleaning I have to agree Toronto is definitely better than Montreal. It's much harder to find a garbage can in Montreal than Toronto.

But both these factors relate more to visiting than living, no? Cost of living and location are such vital factors, especially in Toronto which covers far more area, has much lower density, and has much more variety between neighborhoods.
Well, I'd say clean streets are important to the residents... And again, there's old architecture, and there are plain old houses. Stockholm is full of old architecture, but pipes don't leak and plaster is not peeling off the walls....

Old
04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I'm not particularly fond of the South-Central-LA style buildings of Malvern, and the crackhouse-kitsch of Jane and Finch.
Actually it's sort of funny to see either Chicago or the 30s referred to for the Plateau. The greystone townhouses that typify the area are clearly turn-of-the century and their distinct external balconies are anything but mid-western. As for the same architecture in the "West End" I don't know what he's referring to.

As for Toronto the fact is you cannot drive into the city without passing through block after block of single-story brick commercial buildings and/or tiny two-and-three bedroom houses each on it's own tiny private lot. In both cases there is architectural style is best described as "small and cheap". Toronto has some great neighborhoods and a few good buildings, but it's not an architecturally impressive city. For diversity, sure.

Old
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Well, I'd say clean streets are important to the residents... And again, there's old architecture, and there are plain old houses. Stockholm is full of old architecture, but pipes don't leak and plaster is not peeling off the walls....
If by old architecture, you mean late 80s, pipes not leaking because there's no water, I would say Rinkeby and Tensta were a marvel to see the last time I was there.

Old
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Um, if you are trying to suggest that typical houses in Montreal have plaster peeling off the walls then you are sadly uninformed. Toronto has some neighbourhoods that are far worse than anything in Montreal does right now, and that's true from every perspective- plaster peeling off the walls to crime and violence.

I can completely understand why many people would and do prefer Toronto, but your representation of Montreal so far is simply not very accurate.

Old
04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Den

Quote:
Actually it's sort of funny to see either Chicago or the 30s referred to for the Plateau. The greystone townhouses that typify the area are clearly turn-of-the century and their distinct external balconies are anything but mid-western. As for the same architecture in the "West End" I don't know what he's referring to.
Did't mean to say "Chicago style" about the Plateau. By the Chicago style West End I mean the standard 2-3 story red brick square 15-20 apt . The garbage bins non-existent. The place for recyclible in the garage is so tiny it overfills in a couple of hours and then it's all over the cars. The squeeky wooden balcony is life-threatenning. One of the two laundrymats has been broken and full of smelly water for a month. That's a snapshot of my place in Hampstead.

Quote:
If by old architecture, you mean late 80s, pipes not leaking because there's no water, I would say Rinkeby and Tensta were a marvel to see the last time I was there.
Point taken. The diff though is that Rinkeby is an almost out of town gettho, while all of UdM students have to cope with something like what I described

Quote:
Um, if you are trying to suggest that typical houses in Montreal have plaster peeling off the walls then you are sadly uninformed. Toronto has some neighbourhoods that are far worse than anything in Montreal does right now, and that's true from every perspective- plaster peeling off the walls to crime and violence.

I can completely understand why many people would and do prefer Toronto, but your representation of Montreal so far is simply not very accurate.
I am trying to suggest that an average Jerry in Toronto gets to live in mid-70's or mid-80's highrises which are no architectural marvel but functional, while from my experience a Montreal equivalent would be what I just described a couple of posts before.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-28-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old
04-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
... That's a snapshot of my place in Hampstead.

Well for the love of Pete you didn't say you were stuck in Hamstead (or fringe NDG maybe). You have my sympathies. If you were stuck in Scarborough (or we used to call it, Scarberia) you'd probably like Toronto less too.

The thing I didn't understand is that escaping those kind of living conditions (except the lack of public garbage cans, which is terrible) is much easier in Montreal than Toronto because the rents are much cheaper and travel times too and from work or school are much shorter, giving more options of where to live.

Anyway, sorry you stuck in such a loser. Our fair city has so much more to offer than that.

Old
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Point taken. The diff though is that Rinkeby is an almost out of town gettho, while all of UdM students have to cope with something like what I described
But your comparing apples and oranges. The dilapitated and dangerous neighborhoods are a no-man's land around all European cities, whereas in NA the worst neighborhoods are closer to the downtown core. I think the gvt pumps alot more money in Hochelaga Maisonneuve than they do in Rinkeby. No tires in the middle of street and unless I'm in the Rock Machines I'm safe there. Walking in Rinkeby, I was counting down the time until I was going to become someone's *****.

Old
04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Den

Quote:
Walking in Rinkeby, I was counting down the time until I was going to become someone's *****.
I assume you are not from Sweden? Then it beats me what in the world would ever bring a visitor to step into Rinkeby? Well, unless you are into extreme sports....

Old
04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
I am trying to suggest that an average Jerry in Toronto gets to live in mid-70's or mid-80's highrises which are no architectural marvel but functional, while from my experience a Montreal equivalent would be what I just described a couple of posts before.
But that's my point. The same apartment costs less and is likely closer to where you have to go in Montreal. Having been raised in a split family in both cities I've lived in almost 30 different places myself and between my brothers and sister and friends I'm familiar with about 100 rental places in both cities. In EVERY instance in my experience, it is easier and cheaper to find decent housing in Montreal than in Toronto. You are the only person I've ever encountered who suggests otherwise, so it's sort of novel.

Old
05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
wedge

Andrei Kostitsyn offered 4 millions by AK-Bars

I'm surprised I haven't read it here (maybe it slipped to me) but I heard on CKAC today that Andrei Kostitsyn was offered 4 000 000 by AK Bars. I went on the Edmonton Journal web site and here's the link

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...f-01d2246dc00d

I hope Andrei isn't going to pull "a Perezogin" and go to Russia. If that happens, it will be the end for us drafting russian players.

wedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
I think it was already discussed.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
rudethedude66

I dont think he will go.....He has it good here and his bro is here....he'll be gettin a big raise neways.....lets hope he isnt swayed by the russian mob

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=511421

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
airlouche