HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD #9, Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2008, 11:52 AM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
VCL forwarded Spit's pick to me. The Detroit Red Wings are pleased to select an excellent offensive blue-liner: D George Owen.

VCL asked to be skipped, so Kansas City is now on the clock.

Old
04-28-2008, 11:58 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Harry P. Watson (1941-1957)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
In 1994, Harry Watson was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in the veterans category, due in part to the support of broadcasting hosts ***** and Brian Williams, who argued that the stars of the 1940s and 1950s had been ignored too long and were deserving of a place in the Hall.
Throughout his career, Watson was best known for his offensive ability, which he combined with a quiet, even temperament on the ice to complement his strong leadership. A left wing who was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, in 1923, Harry Percival Watson played 14 seasons in the NHL on four different teams from 1941 to 1954.

As a junior player, he won four provincial age-group league titles, moving through the ranks as a member of the Saskatoon Wesleys minor organization. At 18, he made the jump to the NHL, entering the league with the New York Americans in 1941. He scored 10 goals and recorded eight assists in his rookie year with the Brooklyn club before the Americans disbanded just two years later. The next season he went to the Detroit Red Wings, where he was an instant hit. In his first year there his 13 goals helped the Red Wings finish first overall in the regular season. In the playoffs he was dominant as the Wings beat Boston in four straight games to win Stanley Cup.

Like many players of the day, Watson spent two years in the Canadian Armed Forces during his time with Detroit. He was stationed in Montreal, Winnipeg and Saskatoon with the RCAF during the 1943-44 and 1944-45 seasons. Watson kept his skates sharp during his service years, and in 1944 he helped the Saskatoon RCAF win the Western Command Senior Hockey Championships. Watson rejoined the Red Wings for the 1945-46 season, but the next year ****** acquired him for the Toronto Maple Leafs - a trade Watson later said was one of the highlights of his career. No wonder, in Toronto he quickly teamed up with center ***** and tough guy ******** to form a scoring trio feared around the league. This troika helped the Leafs win the Stanley Cup four times during Watson's nine seasons at Maple Leaf Gardens, giving him a total of five Cup wins in his career.

As an individual, Watson's best year was with the Leafs in 1948-49. He led the club in scoring with 26 goals and, unbelievably, didn't record a single penalty minute throughout the season. He also scored the eventual Stanley Cup-winning goal that year en route to a 4-0 swamp of his old team, the Red Wings. Leafs fans also remember Watson as the one who assisted on ****** legendary overtime Cup-winning goal in 1951 against goalie **** of Montreal. His time in Toronto didn't last forever, though. After the first eight games of the 1954-55 season, Conn Smythe sold him to Chicago for cash. He played three seasons with the Black Hawks before finishing his NHL career in 1957.

Overall, Watson played in 809 regular-season games in the NHL, scoring 236 career goals to go with 207 assists for 443 career points. In addition to his five Stanley Cup wins, Watson's teams succeeded in making the playoffs in nine of the 14 years he played. He also played in seven All-Star games, usually as a member of the Cup-winning team. Following his retirement from the Bisons, Watson jumped full-time into coaching with the St. Catharines TeePees - a farm team for the Black Hawks - in the Ontario Hockey Association Junior A league. He coached several other minor teams as well, and even led the Windsor Bulldogs to the OHA Senior A league's Allan Cup in 1963.
NHL RS Statistics
GM: 809
G: 236
A: 207
P: 443
PIM:150

NHL Playoff Statistics
GM: 62
G: 16
A: 9
P: 25
PIM: 27

Awards/Accomplishments/Recognitions
- 5x Lord Stanley Cup Winner
- Scored Cup Winning Goal in 1949
- Played in 7 All-Star Games
- Teams made 9 of 14 playoffs when he was associated with them

Old
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Pwnasaurus

The Kansas City Scouts select Allan "Scotty" Davidson

Old
04-28-2008, 01:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
I am around for pick 594. I think RP is in class. 593 is on the clock.

Old
04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I am around for pick 594. I think RP is in class. 593 is on the clock.
I'm back in town, now.

Old
04-28-2008, 01:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
I'm back in town, now.
As I said, RP is around so contact him for the next pick.

Old
04-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

My internet's bein screwy, so bear with me, here. Anyway, the Maroons select a defensive presence in C Ron Sutter!

Old
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
My internet's bein screwy, so bear with me, here. Anyway, the Maroons select a defensive presence in C Ron Sutter!
Already selected

Old
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Gone. Victoria got him in the last round.

Old
04-28-2008, 03:05 PM
MXD

Hey, glad somebody picked Murray Murdoch, the original IronMan! I've been picking him for the two last MLD's. Your line as a weird direction nik, with one purely defensive forward (Murdoch), a 2-way C (Goyette) and a 1-way RW (Redmond) but I guess it won't be used as a checking unit, so that's okay. Those two guys (Goyette and Murdoch) would make a pretty competent PK duo as well, with a good faceoff-guy to boot.

Old
04-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Dammit. Consider me skipped till I figure out my pick. That shouldn't take long, though.

Old
04-28-2008, 03:19 PM
pitseleh

I know the issue of Frank Boucher's size came up before, and though BM67 did post that story about losing a lot of weight travelling across the country, I did find some photographic evidence to corroborate it. Here's Boucher at the far left standing next to Bill Cook, Bun Cook, Murray Murdoch, and Ching Johnson:

Considering the Cooks and Ching Johnson were big men for their day, it does lend credibility to Boucher's listed size.

And for those of you who may not have seen this site before, there are some excellent hockey pictures on here:

http://www.hockeylegend.com/menu.shtml

Old
04-28-2008, 03:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

OK, I will select pick #594 in the next couple of minutes per McLovin's PM.

Old
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Selection Number: 594

Player: Rick Kehoe

Position: LW/RW

Team: Calgary Stampeders

GMs: Roger's Pancreas and Miami Screaming Eagles

Old
04-28-2008, 03:23 PM
raleh

Just imagine blocking a shot in that gear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I know the issue of Frank Boucher's size came up before, and though BM67 did post that story about losing a lot of weight travelling across the country, I did find some photographic evidence to corroborate it. Here's Boucher at the far left standing next to Bill Cook, Bun Cook, Murray Murdoch, and Ching Johnson:

Considering the Cooks and Ching Johnson were big men for their day, it does lend credibility to Boucher's listed size.

And for those of you who may not have seen this site before, there are some excellent hockey pictures on here:

Old
04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Just imagine blocking a shot in that gear...
All I can say is Yikes!

I'm in the process of re-watching the Canada Cup '76 DVDs and seeing Orr block a shot with his chest (I think it was against the Czechs) was ridiculous when you consider how little upper-body padding they wore.

Old
04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post

Perspective....

Funny how the two big guys (Murdoch and Johnson) are at the back. I guess Taffy Abel would have been at the left (right for viewers) of Ching.

Old
04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Perspective....

Funny how the two big guys (Murdoch and Johnson) are at the back. I guess Taffy Abel would have been at the left (right for viewers) of Ching.
Ching Johnson sorely needs a handlebar moustache and a monocle.

At least with the moustache he could pass as the Monopoly guy.

Old
04-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Well, we've decided to go with our first active player, that being D Mathieu Schneider!

Old
04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
God Bless Canada

Does anyone have FF and Nalyd's list?

Old
04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Does anyone have FF and Nalyd's list?
I will PM them now, since McLovin picked.

Old
04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
EagleBelfour

Damn Ching Johnson is ugly. Never saw an uglier hockey player than him. He look like a taller Barry Pepper.

Old
04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Damn Ching Johnson is ugly. Never saw an uglier hockey player than him. He look like a taller Barry Pepper.
He also looks like he's 50 YO on this pictures, which would explain is slow skating....

Old
04-28-2008, 04:28 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
The Kansas City Scouts select Allan "Scotty" Davidson
I just wanted to let you know that I despise you

Old
04-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
I just wanted to let you know that I despise you
Thx. I feel like he's a great addition to an ATD 4th line. Outstanding 2 way player who because of his severely abbreviated career is relegated to 4th line duty because his numbers extrapolated aren't very easy to discern having only a few (albeit outstanding) NHA seasons to work with. His career might be a bit too short for most GM's taste however his talent from what I have read is pretty undeniable and if we're past drafting a few players whose career to this point has mirrored Scotty's in terms of longevity than I see no reason why he shouldn't be drafted this late and plugged into a 4th line as a solid 2 way option.

Closed Thread