HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weight lifting...

Old
04-28-2008, 01:51 PM
AngryBoss

vCash: 500
I've been doing the Max-OT workout program the last 2 months and I've seen great gains.
For the past 2-3 years I"ve been following a lot of it's principals but not all of them.

Basically if you want to gain strength and size, don't do anything over 6 reps. There are a few exceptions such as forearm and ab work, but everything else should be within the 4-6 rep range.

Also, there are certain exercises which should be avoided. Don't do any isolation movements such as fly's, concentration curls, preacher curls, etc.

And make sure you rest a lot between sets.

I used to do 12-15 sets per body part resting only 45-60 seconds inbetween to fit it all in. But now I've switched to around 5-8 sets per body part with 2 minutes rest and the results have been great.
In only 6 weeks I've added nearly an inch to my arms and over an inch to my chest.

Here's the link:
http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

You have to sign up but it's totally free. I recommend doing the 12-week program and follow it very closely.
I think you'll enjoy doing less and getting more out of your workouts.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Z-Diddy

Thanks for the shared opinion, I just signed up

Z-Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:53 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Diddy View Post
Thanks for the shared opinion, I just signed up
Great! I look forward to hearing your opinion on the program after the first few weeks.
I've really enjoyed it so far.

Old
04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Creedence*

Question for someone who knows:

When they say changing your workour routine promotes muscle growth, does it mean that you change the order in which you do your sets on each given day? Or does it mean switching up part of what you'd do on a reg. Thursday with part of what you'd do on a Friday?

Creedence* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:43 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Question for someone who knows:

When they say changing your workour routine promotes muscle growth, does it mean that you change the order in which you do your sets on each given day? Or does it mean switching up part of what you'd do on a reg. Thursday with part of what you'd do on a Friday?
All of the above.

Typically, you should switch up your workout routine every 8 weeks. After 8 weeks, it's recommended you take 7 days off with doing nothing. Afterwards, change things up.

It can be anything from the order you do your exercises, add different exercises, more sets, less sets, more reps, less reps, more time resting inbetween sets or less time.

Basically, you'll find that your muscles will adapt to whatever you're doing, so changing your routine will help 'shock' them into growth.

Old
04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
All of the above.

Typically, you should switch up your workout routine every 8 weeks. After 8 weeks, it's recommended you take 7 days off with doing nothing. Afterwards, change things up.

It can be anything from the order you do your exercises, add different exercises, more sets, less sets, more reps, less reps, more time resting inbetween sets or less time.

Basically, you'll find that your muscles will adapt to whatever you're doing, so changing your routine will help 'shock' them into growth.
Yup. I think the term is called ''muscle confusion''. So if you're doing a lot of free weights but ignoring barbells for a week, switch it up.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
iceman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
All of the above.

I totally agree wtih your last two posts. I thought i was doing well by working out 5 times a week for 3 years straight but later learned I am much better off taking a week off after 2 months of training. I also change up my routine regularly.

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote