HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Whipping into shape

Old
04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Whipping into shape

I'm about 6'0, 190-195 lbs currently. While at school I typically put on 10-15 lbs and then lose 5-10 of that over the summer. This summer I'm looking to shed about 15 pounds or so through watching what I eat, running, and working out. I also have a job that requires pretty strenuous physical labor, last summer I lost about 10 pounds without watching what I eat, running, or going to the gym so I think 15-20 is possible this summer.

I intend on going to the gym 3-4 times a week and running 5-6 times a week.

What kind of weight training program would you guys suggest?
I'm not looking to get jacked but just to put on a little bit of muscle and lose some fat.

And what kind of diet should I be looking at?
What are some things that I should be eating?
What are some things I should be staying away from?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
ATrain24

1) eat lots of meat
2) powerlifting
3) keep your jogging under 5k

ATrain24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain24 View Post
1) eat lots of meat
2) powerlifting
3) keep your jogging under 5k
Good suggestions.

If you're only interested in gaining small muscles then go low weights high reps.
Losing weight, watch what you eat - lean meats, lots of veggies, some fruits. Don't eat 'whites' - white potatoes, white breads, white rice, etc.

If you're trying to get into shape for hockey then wind sprints are the best for you while running under 5K every now and then.
Look up HIIT training. It's great with sprints and the stationary bike.

P.S. What some people forget is that the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn - even when you sleep.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
Good suggestions.

If you're only interested in gaining small muscles then go low weights high reps.
Losing weight, watch what you eat - lean meats, lots of veggies, some fruits. Don't eat 'whites' - white potatoes, white breads, white rice, etc.

If you're trying to get into shape for hockey then wind sprints are the best for you while running under 5K every now and then.
Look up HIIT training. It's great with sprints and the stationary bike.

P.S. What some people forget is that the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn - even when you sleep.
I've actually never heard this, what's the reason?

Thanks for the info guys.

Old
04-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I've actually never heard this, what's the reason?

Thanks for the info guys.
1 pound of muscle burns about 50 cal at rest. Gain 10 pounds of muscle, you increase your metabolic rate by 500 calories per day just when you're sitting around. Of course you can just as easily reverse that, lose 10 pounds of muscle, you lose 500 cal/day at rest.

In short, muscle burns calories at rest, fat doesn't.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
What kind of weight training program would you guys suggest?
I'm not looking to get jacked but just to put on a little bit of muscle and lose some fat.
Power lifting and Olympic lifts are what will make you stronger, everything else is just for looks.

Quote:
And what kind of diet should I be looking at?
What are some things that I should be eating?
Chicken, turkey, salmon and rice (lots and lots of rice) should be the bulk of your diet along with fruit and vegetables (lots of these as well). I don't really know the last time I had a lunch or dinner without one of those foods. This is ideal of course, come summer everybody likes the bbqs and what not, but eat as little red meat as possible.

EDIT: and how could I possibly forget. Drink lots (and I mean LOTS) of water.

Quote:
What are some things I should be staying away from?
Alcohol, "Fizzy Drinks", Dairy, candy, saturated fat etc. Again, its all ideal, but the key to life is moderation.

Last edited by Roughneck: 04-27-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old
04-27-2008, 08:48 PM
BigEyedPhish

The important thing about dieting its letting yourself go probably like once a week and allowing yourself to eat whatever the hell you want.. Ice cream, chocolate or whatever..

Last summer I lost about 20 lbs running about 4 miles a day 4-6 times a week, and this is when I used to drink alot at night with friends almost EVERYDAY.. When eating I ate 2 big meals a day and maybe one snack around lunch..

Breakfast is the most important meal do NOT skip it especially if you are going to work out later..

I would eat a big breakfast then a small snack for lunch and then a BIG dinner early in the night, try to eat dinner before 7:00 because that is when your Metabolism really starts to wind down from the day..

and Remember as a 20 year old who is about 5'10 and 170lbs I can burn just about 1800 calories a day JUST LAYING IN BED. I would try to limit yourself to about 2000 calories a day you may want more though because your job makes you take part in physical labor..

All in all, I find it really easy to lose weight, im not sure what the big fuss is about and why some people find it difficult.. I'll admit that it is hard to get back into the grind of going to the gym religiously, but after going 2-3 times in a row I get sort of addicted to the physical activity and if I don't go to the gym I feel kind of dirty, sort of like if I haven't taken a shower all day sort of feeling.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
The important thing about dieting its letting yourself go probably like once a week and allowing yourself to eat whatever the hell you want.. Ice cream, chocolate or whatever..

Old
04-27-2008, 11:33 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

Meat, and as much cardio as you can handle. I would suggest doing a couple sets on a pec deck every other day, did wonders for me.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 08:20 AM
lemieux32*

Roughneck- don't know why you are using that emoticon as that is one of the few things sammitch was right about. Reward yourself withut going overboard.

sammitch- You are very far off base in telling someone to eat two BIG meals a day. It may work for you, but the best thing is to have many small meals in a day.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Chicken, Turkey, Tuna, and Rabbit! Yummy .

Stick with white meats if you can.

Tuna's high in protein and tastes delicious with some olive oil and a piece of bread .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
Roughneck- don't know why you are using that emoticon as that is one of the few things sammitch was right about. Reward yourself withut going overboard.
You're allowed to treat yourself yes, but the idea that "letting yourself go once a week" is a necessity in a diet (the idea of dieting is also something I bang my head at) is one of the most ridiculous things I hear. A girl I train with, who's currently on the Canadian Women's Rugby team was once told by a nutritionist several years ago that because of how much she was training she should have a 'milkshake or something really high in calories' a few times a month to keep her energy up. This was an NSD (National Sport Devellopment) nutritionist, its just remarkable.

Eating bad once a week can throw off your nutrition and energy levels for up to a few hours to even a few days, not to mention the more crap you eat, the more of it you'll want.

Old
04-28-2008, 01:05 PM
BigEyedPhish

I'm just giving him an example to follow with as it worked with me, but everyones metabolism is different so my suggestion is to find out from a doctor what would be best for him.

EDIT: also i will add that you should not drink Soda..at all, well maybe once a week or so but really cut it.. I think people really overlook how many calories and crap are in the stuff they are drinking, I pretty much only drink water, and orange juice and beer . Even orange juice has like 200 calories a serving and nothing in the world is better for you than water..

Also a verrrrrrryyy healthy drink which has been shown to actually help burn fat as well as getting rid of alot of crap in your body is Green Tea.. Green Tea is also being looked into because there are many doctors who think it may have a natural anti-carcinogen with it that helps prevent cancer.

Last edited by BigEyedPhish: 04-28-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old
04-28-2008, 01:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Beer is good if you drink one or two. Don't overdo it . If anyone wants a reason as to why to drink beer over soda, see my other thread .

Here's a funny little calculation. If 3000 calories = 1 pound. If one 20oz soda equals 260 calories. If you drink one soda per day. 94900 calories in a year divided by 3000 = 31.63 pounds.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
BigEyedPhish

The only thing i really did to change my diet was stop drinking soda and that worked lol and I could still get ****faced with my friends.

Old
04-28-2008, 02:21 PM
lemieux32*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
You're allowed to treat yourself yes, but the idea that "letting yourself go once a week" is a necessity in a diet (the idea of dieting is also something I bang my head at) is one of the most ridiculous things I hear. A girl I train with, who's currently on the Canadian Women's Rugby team was once told by a nutritionist several years ago that because of how much she was training she should have a 'milkshake or something really high in calories' a few times a month to keep her energy up. This was an NSD (National Sport Devellopment) nutritionist, its just remarkable.

Eating bad once a week can throw off your nutrition and energy levels for up to a few hours to even a few days, not to mention the more crap you eat, the more of it you'll want.
Actually once you have had the crap the less you have of it the more you crave it, thus rewarding yourself with the crappy stuff you like once a week, in moderation, is quite beneficial.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
Actually once you have had the crap the less you have of it the more you crave it, thus rewarding yourself with the crappy stuff you like once a week, in moderation, is quite beneficial.
I have a cheat day too. I don't go crazy but I'll reward myself with some chips or maybe some hotwings.

I'd say less than 1% of fitness freaks don't cheat a little. It's better to plan it rather than let it get out of control.

Old
04-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
I have a cheat day too. I don't go crazy but I'll reward myself with some chips or maybe some hotwings.

I'd say less than 1% of fitness freaks don't cheat a little. It's better to plan it rather than let it get out of control.
You have to, or else I find you just fly off and go crazy...and then you're remorseful.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

Think of your body like a fireplace. If you put lots of wood on the fireplace it will take a long time to burn. Same thing happens when you eat a lot of food it will take a long time to burn. The best thing to do is eat 6 meals a day and drink lots of water. If you like milk then I would suggest switching to soy milk (lots of protein). Soy milk tastes different but you get used to it after awhile.

Example of what I ate yesterday.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal (not microwaved, stay away from microwaves) with honey and soy milk and banana.

Snack:

Carrot

Lunch:

Pita with ham and swiss cheese

Snack:

Apple

Dinner:

Caesar salad (try to find a salad dressing that has no sugar, usually organics are the best) with croûtons and Parmesan cheese.

Homemade hamburger with whole wheat bun, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle.

Snack:

Cashews

P.S. Nuts are also very important they are one of the most underrated foods out there. A handful of nuts a day is also very good for your body. Peanuts/peanut butter are not the best, but nuts such as cashews, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts etc are all very good.

Mr BLUEandWHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 05:19 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
Think of your body like a fireplace. If you put lots of wood on the fireplace it will take a long time to burn. Same thing happens when you eat a lot of food it will take a long time to burn. The best thing to do is eat 6 meals a day and drink lots of water. If you like milk then I would suggest switching to soy milk (lots of protein). Soy milk tastes different but you get used to it after awhile.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal (not microwaved, stay away from microwaves) with honey and soy milk and banana.

Snack:

Carrot

Lunch:

Pita with ham and swiss cheese

Snack:

Apple

Dinner:

Caesar salad (try to find a salad dressing that has no sugar, usually organics are the best) with croûtons and Parmesan cheese.

Homemade hamburger with whole wheat bun, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle.

Snack:

Cashews

P.S. Nuts are also very important they are one of the most underrated foods out there. A handful of nuts a day is also very good for your body. Peanuts/peanut butter are not the best, but nuts such as cashews, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts etc are all very good.
They are a very good source or protein and other vitamins, but they also contain ALOT of calories.

Old
04-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post

Breakfast:

Cool, thanks for the good info. Just a question though, why do you say stay away from microwaves?

Old
04-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

So to summarize:

I should eat:
A lot of meat but not red meat (chicken, turkey, fish)
Lots of Veggies
Fruits
Drink a ton of water

I shouldn't eat:
White potatoes
White bread
Alcohol (given)
Soda (given)
Sweets
Diary

For working-out/running:
Don't run real long distances at the same pace, try HIIT
Just lots and lots of cardio in general

A little confused though, Roughneck says eat a lot of rice, DolemitesP1mpHand says stay away from whites...including rice. Can anybody provide some clarification here?

I really appreciate all the info guys. I'm really pretty much clueless when it comes to this stuff. Some other foods that I'm interested in whether I should stay away or not as they are things I eat on a regular basis:

Oatmeal
Cheese (I'll buy a block of cheese and cut off a few slices for a snack)
Roast Beef (considered a red meat?)
Yogurt
Breaded chicken fingers (grilled chicken is much healthier, correct?)
Breadsticks (not all greased up as you would find at a restaurant)

I'm at school so these are the kinds of things that are easy to eat as snacks or some things that are often served at the dining halls.

Old
04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Roughneck

Quote:
A little confused though, Roughneck says eat a lot of rice, DolemitesP1mpHand says stay away from whites...including rice. Can anybody provide some clarification here?
Eat brown rice. However I've seen many times that converted rice has a lower glycemic index than brown rice but nobody seems to know why. Brown rice is better for you, but if for some reason you just don't like it, converted rice is a good substitute.

Quote:
Oatmeal is good. try to find some with more fibre as a bonus
Cheese (I'll buy a block of cheese and cut off a few slices for a snack) as good as it tastes, its a pretty bad thing to eat. Its basically the kind of thing that would replce a "freebie day".
Roast Beef (considered a red meat?) If it comes from a cow, its red meat
Yogurt probably the best dairy one could eat so long as there's fruit in it, but don't make it a big part of your diet. Though its definitely the second best thing on this list
Breaded chicken fingers (grilled chicken is much healthier, correct?)yeah, anything breaded is generally a no-no
Breadsticks (not all greased up as you would find at a restaurant)[b] Probably better than breaded chicken fingers and definitely better than cheese
Quote:
I'm at school so these are the kinds of things that are easy to eat as snacks or some things that are often served at the dining halls.
The key to good nutrition is preparation. It generally takes a while to get into a routine where you prepare snacks and meals for a couple days, but once you get a system going it gets so much easier.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Eat brown rice. However I've seen many times that converted rice has a lower glycemic index than brown rice but nobody seems to know why. Brown rice is better for you, but if for some reason you just don't like it, converted rice is a good substitute.
Excellent advice. I shouldn't have said avoid all rice, just white rice.

Again, I don't think eating 'whites' now and then is bad. I still enjoy mashed garlic potatoes once in a while.

But it's like anything in life, too much of anything can be bad for you.

Old
04-30-2008, 12:25 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
You have to, or else I find you just fly off and go crazy...and then you're remorseful.
You know what i've done that kind of satisfies the sweet tooth craving after getting on the diet? Pick up some of those south beat diet bars, decent stats on them, good flavor, have one.... good stuff.

Or if you're hell bent on eating chocolate like some people I know, buy the darkest chocolate you can get your hands on, good antioxidants in dark chocolate and have 1 or 2 pieces, put it away.

The key to any good diet isn't as much WHAT you eat as much as it is CONTROLLING WHAT YOU SHOVE IN YOUR FACE. Portioning is key.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote