HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dirty, Dirty, Dirty, Dirty

Old
04-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Kosti46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cannon View Post
hockey is all about being tough and gritty and intimidating the other team.

get over it.
Your comments show you know next to nothing about hockey.

Tough and gritty does NOT mean cheap and dirty which is what the Flyers do.

Dirty cheap shots need to be eliminated from hockey. That means the Flyers will only have about 5 players left in the playoffs. Ah. sorry. You guys don t have enough talent to play hockey without cheating.

Last edited by Kosti46: 04-29-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:15 AM
BlameCanada*

hey habs fans. ive kinda stayed off of both boards this series cause i got alot of things goin on other than posting i guess.

in regards to tonites game. i think the calls that were made were made even both ways including the hatcher boarding call. i think the calls that were missed were also missed equally both ways.

as for the fans debating for their teams, of course no one is gonna agree on everything but it seems like SOME of the habs posters here since this series started kind of wrote off the flyers as a weak team that cant even compete and wouldnt have a shot in this series. its obvious those statements arent exactly valid.

the habs have hit posts and missed golden opportunities so i wouldnt go as far as saying that the flyers have just dominated this series. biron has come up huge to keep the flyers above water.

as for the dirty stuff, some of this is just ridiculous. downie didnt do anything dirty other than he tripped up price. he was then jumped by two guys and was trying to defend himself. the linesman screwed up by not letting them go cause downie unlocked his helmet and took it off to fight. it would have been 5 and 5 with the 2 minute tripping call. still i dont think any of that is dirty.

the hatcher hit wasnt a b-line hit. he went around the net and boullion turned but it did warrant a 5 minute major but i dont look at it as a premeditated intent to injure someone as compared to downies hit earlier this season on machammond.

i think in dealing with this topic, it should also be noted that a guy like kovalev has gotten away with two major elbows to the head in the last 2 years. its not like the habs arent capable of cheapshots. yes, the flyers play the line but the series turned into that by having a tough guy like kostopolous mug timmonen. its playoff hockey and i love it from both sides. kill each other and sort out em out after the series.

good luck the rest of the way

BlameCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosti46 View Post
Why not? It's definitely a part of it. If the opposing team is afraid to go into the corners and into high-traffic areas because they'll get hit, it makes things an awful lot easier. The Flyers don't seem to have a problem with doing those things: as for the Habs, well, check out the GDT and the many, many instances of the term "dump and watch" being used to describe their attack.

Bottom line: any player or team that plays physical gets the "dirty" reputation, because you have to toe the line in order to intimidate.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:20 AM
no1b4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
I seen him trying to get his feet free from the Flyer holding him but he could have made a kicking motion while he was trying to get loose. I am not a looking thru orange colored glasses like one of the posters who sees nothing wrong with the Hatcher hit.

You right, I just saw the replay on tsn (1:51 in). He was tied up and just gave him the boot.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:24 AM
no1b4me

Quote:

Dirty cheap shots need to be eliminated from hockey. That means the Flyers will only have about 5 players left in the playoffs. Ah. sorry. You guys don t have enough talent to play hockey without cheating.
Your showing your age there. And I don't think you watch much hockey besides your own team.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticFlyerFan View Post
Umm, nice try. He was already a about a foot away from kimmo there was nothing to get away from.
I hope your not taking about me when you say "one of the posters who sees nothing wrong with the Hatcher hit". I never said that, I penalty was deserved. I sipmly stated of another player that does the same hit all the time. I'm sure you would think he is dirty too since he's not a Hab.
The Flyers have always played tough hockey not euro skate around the ice figure skating style.
And don't know how old you are but I have been watching hockey since the 60's and the Habs weren't angels either.
Flyer style is more dirty than tough most of the time, Bruins play tough...Flyers just take cheapshots. That is your reputation face it. Hockey is fun to watch rough and tough but watching the Flyer style is kinda sad really. Whether it is Montreal/Pitsburg or Dallas your style will be your downfall. Pittsburg really has the best PP in the league and has Larocque who won't take the cheap stuff Philly is known for.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:29 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
two of the goals were shots from the wing that deflected of a dmans stick, one bounced off a leg at the side of the net , one was wacked outta the goalies glove(something you might see once a year type goal). Yes some of your good goals were from traffic etc around the net but you must admit you have had alot of lucky fluky goals so far in the series.
I believe in game 2 the good scoring chances were 20-9 for the Habs and haven't heard yet about game 3 but at some point those good chances will turn into goals.
Habs have hit more posts then the Flyers have scored goals.

They've been out played. The Habs can't finish.
The series is 2-1. Hatcher will most likely sit a game, and the Flyers will be warned about crashing the net.

If we lose game 4... i hope they make the Flyers pay by literally crashing the net every shift.

/spit on Flyers.

Old
04-29-2008, 01:29 AM
mercury

Quote:
Flyer style is more dirty than tough most of the time, Bruins play tough...Flyers just take cheapshots. That is your reputation face it. Hockey is fun to watch rough and tough but watching the Flyer style is kinda sad really. Whether it is Montreal/Pitsburg or Dallas your style will be your downfall. Pittsburg really has the best PP in the league and has Larocque who won't take the cheap stuff Philly is known for.
We outscored the Penguins this season. You did know that, right?

mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
We outscored the Penguins this season. You did know that, right?
Ya and the Habs scored the most goals of all 30 teams in the regular season. Doesn't seem to help them right now does it .... like everyone says the playoffs are totally different season. What you did in the regular season means not much now. We beat the Bruins 8-0 in games regular season...playoffs it went 7 games.

Old
04-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Kosti46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Why not? It's definitely a part of it. If the opposing team is afraid to go into the corners and into high-traffic areas because they'll get hit, it makes things an awful lot easier. The Flyers don't seem to have a problem with doing those things: as for the Habs, well, check out the GDT and the many, many instances of the term "dump and watch" being used to describe their attack.

Bottom line: any player or team that plays physical gets the "dirty" reputation, because you have to toe the line in order to intimidate.
You make some good points. Tough and gritty hockey is helpful no doubt. But Hatcher slamming Boullion's face into the boards, The mugging they gave Kosto near the Flyer net. Slammed in the back, and hit in face when he was on his knees is not part of legal hockey. And shoving A. Kostitsyn in the back knocking him over in the Habs zone. Mmmmmmmmm you think these types of plays are ok? I do not.

A good tough team can play tough hockey without resorting to using dirty cheap shots.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:37 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Meh who cares...

In 5 years Philly will go bankrupt just like every American team... LOL.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I hate the Flyers more than anything but you are dead wrong. It went skate to skate... it wasn't even his stick. There was no way he 100% intended on doing it. His skates stayed together, his eyes on the puck, his stick didn't even hit Price.

The flyers are dirty but at least not this time....

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:44 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
This series has been poorly officiated. I'm all in favor of keeping the whistle in the refs pocket but some of these dirty hits and cheap shots have got to get out of the game of hockey in general. That Hatcher hit was disgusting. Players are taking cheap shots and getting away with it. The refs need to make a statement and suspend someone if it gets out of line anymore.

The one time the Refs actually do have to call it tight... they don't. Someone WILL get hurt in this series and it won't be from hard clean physical play.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I hate the Flyers more than anything but you are dead wrong. It went skate to skate... it wasn't even his stick. There was no way he 100% intended on doing it. His skates stayed together, his eyes on the puck, his stick didn't even hit Price.

The flyers are dirty but at least not this time....
If you are talking about Downie on Price ...go watch some replays.....he jabbed his stick in the back of Prices skates(called slew footing by anlysts on TV) No i give Downie some benefit of the doubt that he was trying to get the puck but NOT much.That is the type of player DumbDownie is. That is his reputationa and that is the Flyer rep.

Old
04-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
This series has been poorly officiated. I'm all in favor of keeping the whistle in the refs pocket but some of these dirty hits and cheap shots have got to get out of the game of hockey in general. That Hatcher hit was disgusting. Players are taking cheap shots and getting away with it. The refs need to make a statement and suspend someone if it gets out of line anymore.

The one time the Refs actually do have to call it tight... they don't. Someone WILL get hurt in this series and it won't be from hard clean physical play.
I agree with you ..a game or two for Hatcher may solve most of the problems in this series. Trouble with the Flyers style of play is that they will try to committ 10 cheap shots knowing the refs just can't call everyone, so they get away with half of them. No other team in the league plays cheap like they do. And the Flyer fans call it tough hockey. Guess when they grew up watching Clarke/Schults/Brown/Saleski all those years that is the only thing they understand. And no I am not comparing this Flyer team to those.

Old
04-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
You make some good points. Tough and gritty hockey is helpful no doubt. But Hatcher slamming Boullion's face into the boards, The mugging they gave Kosto near the Flyer net. Slammed in the back, and hit in face when he was on his knees is not part of legal hockey. And shoving A. Kostitsyn in the back knocking him over in the Habs zone. Mmmmmmmmm you think these types of plays are ok? I do not.

A good tough team can play tough hockey without resorting to using dirty cheap shots.
Hatcher got a penalty for his hit, so we can't complain there.

A team that plays a physical style has to be a lot more emotionally involved in the game, because it necessitates more aggression. Sometimes, that team's emotions get the best of them, and they will cross the line of what's legal and what's not: that's why physical teams and players often get the "dirty" label. These players aren't robots: they're still human, they can't be in perfect control of their emotions all the time, and that's why a good tough team will throw its fair share of cheap shots. I'm more concerned with the Habs' failure to respond to the Flyers' physicality than anything.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Scoot

Quote:

On the contrary Kosti, I think it is you who needs to learn the game, rough physical play is what hockey is all about, that's why they wear pads And I haven't even mentioned the playoffs yet.

Did you like hockey in the 80's ? if you remember that was the worst decade for hockey, because then the NHL stood for "No Hitting League", it's similar to that now.

Just be thankful that Scott Stevens isn't playing for the Flyers, because you'd really be belly aching then.

I'm a Devils fan on the Stars bandwagon defending the Flyers, how messed up is that
The Habs have enough physical players to give it back to the Flyers, it's what the game is all about, and it's what makes hockey the greatest game on earth

As Scott Stevens said recently:- "This new NHL is a little too gentle for me"

Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 02:35 AM
newgodz

I don't think the flyers played dirty, the problem with the canadiens is they have too many euros and can't play Playoff style hockey.
your current habs team even though they are very talented cannot come close to the 86 and 93 team

newgodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgodz View Post
I don't think the flyers played dirty, the problem with the canadiens is they have too many euros and can't play Playoff style hockey.
your current habs team even though they are very talented cannot come close to the 86 and 93 team
our problem is goaltending, not our forwards not being tough enough. Go back to fellating Don Cherry.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 02:43 AM
newgodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
our problem is goaltending, not our forwards not being tough enough. Go back to fellating Don Cherry.
I don't agree with you a bit,your defence left all alone price and didn't protect him in game 1 and 2.
i'm sure you agree with me but you just don't wanna admit it.
price can be alot better if he had some kind of protection in front of him but your GM over pays guys like hamerlik and markov

Old
04-29-2008, 03:48 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I think we should stop whining like all those weakling media from Quebec and guess what-have the Habs act like men and strike back. I like that more than a few of our players did in fact stand up for themselves. Although I still see some of them too afraid to pay the price.

It's Stanley Cup playoffs. It's War. Deal with it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 06:05 AM
!nkubus

The Flyers are just classless and stupid.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Downie View Post
Its hockey. Cry about it.
You're right, this is the Flyers game, it should not be surprising anyone. Fans should be pleased that the Habs have been given a decent supply of power play opportunities. If anything needs to be cried about it's the reasons for why the number 1 PP can't hardly muster a chance with a full 5-3 advantage.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Silvertip

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine

Just put the puck in the net.
Exactly. Just like the Sens did!

Silvertip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
newgodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I think we should stop whining like all those weakling media from Quebec and guess what-have the Habs act like men and strike back. I like that more than a few of our players did in fact stand up for themselves. Although I still see some of them too afraid to pay the price.

It's Stanley Cup playoffs. It's War. Deal with it.

Your absolutely 100% right too bad other members donít view hockey the same you do, this team is full of euroís that can be great during regular season and the opposite in the PO, you need gutsy and gritty players to win in the PO.