HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's not Price, it's that we can't friggin' score

Old
04-29-2008, 07:54 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbiebo0gie View Post
Look, say what you want about Carey Price. Yes he was crap last game. But today? No, he wasn't crap, he got beat by 1 shot he couldn't see, 1 shot that was deflected (and he couldn't see) and a shot he had no chance on.

Now I'm not saying he's been amazing, because he hasn't been, but don't give me the Biron is WAYYY better crap. Biron is good, and he's playing a bit better, but he's been lucky as well.

But luck is the least of our problems. In fact, here's an idea: why don't the Habs try scoring first for a change? Maybe give Price a 2-0 lead to play with? No? Maybe let Biron play with his team down a goal? No?

GOD DAMN THE PROBLEM ISN'T IN OUR NETS, IT'S NOT BIRON, IT'S THAT THE HABS CAN'T SCORER FOR ****!!!! Empty nets? Nope. Perfect passes? Nope. Posts? Yes.
Yes it isn't Price when we lose but it is him when we win right? Come on!!!! contradicting people on here!! Look, price let in 3 soft goals on 12 shots. Not saying they were 100% soft but come on, your team is down 3-0 cause you let in 3/12. Thats a staggering 25%. Then when we were up 3-1 on boston, he allows two 5 goal games back to back...... that wasn't prices fault tho right?

Give Halak a shot... thats what I think. Price either needs to sit or not play period. Dunno whats with this kid but seriously, Halak probably wants to show the world he is capable of doing this, give the kid a shot. NEWS FLASH - HALAK IS ALSO A STAR GOALIE, you people just never seem to want to give the kid a chance. We road his back to a playoff spot last year until carbs put the final game on Huet's back

Give this kid a chance and stop defending Price who all though has been outstanding in 3-4 games, has been terrible in the rest.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:05 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Briere's take on how the Flyers are getting to Price-

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic...als_man_f.html

Quote:
“There were shots with screens and as soon as we get close to (Price), he is pushing everybody and you can tell he’s a little frustrated,” said Flyers centre Daniel Brière. “That is the only way to beat him. We know he is a good goalie so we have to keep going to the net. It is the only way we are going to beat him.”
Think it might be worth while if the Habs used the same tactics with Biron.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:12 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarovski View Post
what I don't understand is that the Flyers are not even good. We could beat them easily but the players don't give their 100%, far from it.

When they play 100%, what happens is the 3rd period. We DOMINATE them.
Couldn't have said it better.
If the Habs played like it's the playoffs and something is on the line, this series would be over before it began.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:13 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Briere's take on how the Flyers are getting to Price-

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic...als_man_f.html

Think it might be worth while if the Habs used the same tactics with Biron.
Sadly no one on the Habs except Koivu seems willing to go in front of the net and pay the price.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Look, say what you want about Carey Price. Yes he was crap last game. But today? No, he wasn't crap, he got beat by 1 shot he couldn't see, 1 shot that was deflected (and he couldn't see) and a shot he had no chance on.

Now I'm not saying he's been amazing, because he hasn't been, but don't give me the Biron is WAYYY better crap. Biron is good, and he's playing a bit better, but he's been lucky as well.

But luck is the least of our problems. In fact, here's an idea: why don't the Habs try scoring first for a change? Maybe give Price a 2-0 lead to play with? No? Maybe let Biron play with his team down a goal? No?

GOD DAMN THE PROBLEM ISN'T IN OUR NETS, IT'S NOT BIRON, IT'S THAT THE HABS CAN'T SCORER FOR ****!!!! Empty nets? Nope. Perfect passes? Nope. Posts? Yes.

True, but getting off to 2-0 and 3-0 deficits is not a good way to go.

Let's start recycling some of the phrases that were used to describe Huet's play shall we, maybe it will put Price's play into perspective. Huet was expected to stop screened shots, deflected shots, and the like. Price in the playoffs is not apparently. But as unfair as that is there is simply one phrase that everyone should learn: Adequate goaltending does not get you to the next round. It's the one position you have to be better than your opponent.

This is the playoffs, not a time to experiment or qualify things with "but he's only 20 years old", not a time to push a Price-is-the-new Roy agenda, it's a time to make adjustments and manage your roster like you're in a seven game series.

The proper adjustment is an immediate switch to Halak. If a switch back to Price is warranted then do that too, but doing the same thing for 4 games and finding yourself down 3-1 in a series doesn't feel any better when you're discussing the ridiculous topic of "deserving to win" or whining about how "we outplayed them".

Carbonneau had a hand in placing disproportionate faith in a young goalie, circumstances are that he has only another young goaltender to turn to. However Halak has not the pressure of a man being compared to the best goaltender in hockey history or being nicknamed from a mythical man-god who turned water to wine and walked on water.

And if there's one thing more annoying than those stupid Bud Light commercials, it's the auto-responses from the Pricebots about kneejerk bandwagoning when a fan is legitimately asking for a tough tactical decision from the coach .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

Its not all Carey Prices fault....that is for sure, but when your goaltender is juggling the puck and making easy saves look difficult.....then he is part of the problem.

When players see their goalie playing like that, it puts the whole team on edge and everybody tightens up and make mistakes. You need to know that your goaltender is there to bail you out if you screw up and right now the Habs players aren't quite sure that Price can do that.

I think its time to give Halak a start and see what he can do. To be perfectly honest, Halak can't do any worse than Price has in this series. Price has looked awful and everybody can see it. His confidence is shot and we can't win when our goalie has no confidence.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 12:39 PM
giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Price is the biggest reason for this loss. I'm not saying he's the only reason, but even the fanboys have to admit that he really dug this team a into a hole after the first 2 periods.
I do not think we have to put the blame on Price. Yes he has not played well lately but the team infront of him is also not playing well. it would be nice if Higgins can put the puck in the empty net. Kovalev made a nice pass to him and he missed it, i think that Kostopolus could have scored that goal. I think we have hit like 10 post in 3 games. that is unbelievable.

giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yes it isn't Price when we lose but it is him when we win right? Come on!!!! contradicting people on here!! Look, price let in 3 soft goals on 12 shots. Not saying they were 100% soft but come on, your team is down 3-0 cause you let in 3/12. Thats a staggering 25%. Then when we were up 3-1 on boston, he allows two 5 goal games back to back...... that wasn't prices fault tho right?

Give Halak a shot... thats what I think. Price either needs to sit or not play period. Dunno whats with this kid but seriously, Halak probably wants to show the world he is capable of doing this, give the kid a shot. NEWS FLASH - HALAK IS ALSO A STAR GOALIE, you people just never seem to want to give the kid a chance. We road his back to a playoff spot last year until carbs put the final game on Huet's back

Give this kid a chance and stop defending Price who all though has been outstanding in 3-4 games, has been terrible in the rest.
I agree - give Halak a shot! Why freaking not? Price, as many have pointed out, just does not look confident. And that insecurity can filter down and affect the rest of the team. I mean, when you're pressing and pressing and then the other team comes back and scores on a seemingly harmless shot from the blueline, that is just terribly deflating.

And is it just me or does it seem like the Habs just aren't enjoying themselves? The flyers, as terrible as they're playing, seem to be having some fun. Maybe the Habs need to try to enjoy themselves a little more - loosen up maybe?

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 03:34 PM
AH

yup.

Where the heck is the offense?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarovski View Post
what I don't understand is that the Flyers are not even good. We could beat them easily but the players don't give their 100%, far from it.

When they play 100%, what happens is the 3rd period. We DOMINATE them.
You mean..when you play half the period on the PP?..
you mean..when the Flyers have a 5min major against them..(and it took us more than 2min to settle down and actually score on the PP).

The habs are executing the plan to perfection, they limited the chances of the Flyers since the beginning of the series. Flyers have been extremely lucky.

Id like you to see you play 82 Games at averaging around 20-23min a game and then around 25min come POs...Like Markov who's taking a lot of heat from the clueless fans.
You think the teams we're facing didn't watch videos of our players and we're gonna let Kovalev-Kost Broz-Plek-Markov skate freely and be dominant as they were during the reg season.

Those guys are extremely talented, but they're young and not as elite as Crosby..or Ovechkin..Malkin. Our team has been very good and if Price played like he did vs the Bruins , we'd be up 3-0 by now and none of these stupid threads would exist.

Saying they dont give their all is very weak and a sour loser type of comment.
We're dominating the Flyers, im sorry, but when you allow just 14shots in a PLAYOFF GAME, thats pretty much as good as you're gonna get on Defense. Its up to the goalie to stop the pucks, regardless of if they're tipped a bit, screened or wtv.
What more would you want?..allow just 10shots?..impossible.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
LesCanadiens

Lets at least hope the Roy/Dryden comparisons come to a screeching halt. As much as I hate Roy, he was money his rookie season, as was Dryden. Those 2 stood on their head game in game out in their 1st playoff.

Price seems to lose focus out there too easily. What's with him being "physical" in front of his net? Carey, let the Komi's and Hammers bang bodies....concentrate on your angles and watch the puck. Please.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote