HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dirty, Dirty, Dirty, Dirty

Old
04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
newgodz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24 View Post
Some of us knew going in we DO NOT have a gritty/physical enough team to compete in the playoffs. We are getting owned physically. If the Bruins didn't suck talentwise so much we would have lost in the first round. They owned us physically. Now the Flyer are doing the same thing except they have a bit more skill than the Bruins. We have too many guys that are scared sh&tless. This outcome really doesn't surprise me.
W I N N E R

newgodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Hatcher got a penalty for his hit, so we can't complain there.

A team that plays a physical style has to be a lot more emotionally involved in the game, because it necessitates more aggression. Sometimes, that team's emotions get the best of them, and they will cross the line of what's legal and what's not: that's why physical teams and players often get the "dirty" label. These players aren't robots: they're still human, they can't be in perfect control of their emotions all the time, and that's why a good tough team will throw its fair share of cheap shots. I'm more concerned with the Habs' failure to respond to the Flyers' physicality than anything.
Good post. Couldn't agree more.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Gros Bill

It's the Flyer way. Slash, cross-check, elbow, punch as much as you can, and eventually the refs stop giving you penalties because you'd play the whole game two men down. Flyers "hockey".

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24 View Post
Some of us knew going in we DO NOT have a gritty/physical enough team to compete in the playoffs. We are getting owned physically. If the Bruins didn't suck talentwise so much we would have lost in the first round. They owned us physically. Now the Flyer are doing the same thing except they have a bit more skill than the Bruins. We have too many guys that are scared sh&tless. This outcome really doesn't surprise me.
The only place they have outdone the Habs "physically" is in the goon department. Look at the score sheet from this series and last series and they have outhit and been far more physical clean hits than the so called wannabee "Broad Street Bullies"

Tell me who you think is scared...I see a few kids in their very first playoff action who may not be used to the grind of hockey every 2nd night but I didn 't see them scared in the Boston series

Nitehowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:29 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergzandreikostitsyn View Post
1) The Downie trip on Price. Yes it was called, but still, that was pretty ****ing bad.
2) Hatcher smashing Bou Bou's face into the glass.
3) The Richard's elbow to the face of my man Jaro.
4) Prospal punch on Kosto. Prospal sitting on Flyers bench at the time.
I despise this team now. Everything they did in the season is spilling over into the playoffs.

What are your thoughts on these incidents?

EDIT: 2/4 were called.
I hate this teams style to. What the heck is this?
Until they end someone's career, nothing will get called IMO. In the mean time, the Habs should focus on their chances and berry them. I want the season #1 Line back together. This is not Boston and no Chara.

I have a question for all.
Since wen are we a team that dumps the puck on the PP?I would like Kovy to carry the puck more coming in.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:59 AM
habs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Yaaayyyyyy...

Please stop being so enthusiastic and supportive will you, Mr Super Fan??
I am a huge Habs fan. Always was and always will be, but I'm also realistic. This is not a team that was built for playoff hockey. They are too soft. With a bit more grit/toughness this series is over in 4 maybe 5.

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:03 AM
habs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Tell me who you think is scared...I see a few kids in their very first playoff action who may not be used to the grind of hockey every 2nd night but I didn 't see them scared in the Boston series
Pleks(He even admitted he plays like a girl)
Both Kostitsyns
Streit(He plays more like a girl than even Pleks)
Markov
Brisbois
Smolinski(Although he got involved in some pushing and shoving once)
Kovalev
O'byrne(For a guy that size please hit someone)

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
habfan4

I have a real problem with this thread.

Bouillon is not "Bou Bou" he should only be referred to as "The Cube".

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Bullsmith

Are you guys watching the same series I am? Three games in the Habs have been clearly the better team, massively dominating puck possession and scoring chances. The Flyers aren't that big, aren't that intimidating and aren't that good frankly- I'd rate them last among the 8 teams still in the playoffs and expect them to get trounced if they actually manage to move on.

To their credit, the Flyers are extremely well coached, have very good chemistry and team identity. They're opportunistic scorers who play a game right on the edge of the rules. They are especially good at taking advantage of a chance to hit and they go for the head pretty much whenever they can, but they're still nothing compared to Flyers teams of the past.

Switch the goalies so far and Habs are up 3-0 on blowouts IMO. 14 SOG in a home playoff game is simply pathetic. I suspect the Flyers know how lucky they are to be up in this series.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Banger

As a Flyer fan going into this series I thought it boiled down to two key areas.

1) Getting to Price like the Flyers got to Huet

2) Hit the Habs at every chance to slow them down and make them unwilling to pay the price.

I'm under no illusion that the Flyers are more talented than the Habs, they're not. I do think the Flyers have a lot of leadership and a lot of warriors who will do what it takes to win. If the Habs are going to win they must be willing to take a hit to make a pass, go into the corner and take a hit to get a forecheck going, take a hit in front of the net to make a screen or get a rebound. If they don't they won't win. You can't play the playoffs on the perimeter.

This is exactly how the Caps series started and then they made adjustments, got in Biron's crease and the series changed so we'll see if the Habs see the need for change or if they are happy doing what they are doing....

Last edited by Banger: 04-29-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old
04-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Are you guys watching the same series I am? Three games in the Habs have been clearly the better team, massively dominating puck possession and scoring chances. The Flyers aren't that big, aren't that intimidating and aren't that good frankly- I'd rate them last among the 8 teams still in the playoffs and expect them to get trounced if they actually manage to move on.

To their credit, the Flyers are extremely well coached, have very good chemistry and team identity. They're opportunistic scorers who play a game right on the edge of the rules. They are especially good at taking advantage of a chance to hit and they go for the head pretty much whenever they can, but they're still nothing compared to Flyers teams of the past.

Switch the goalies so far and Habs are up 3-0 on blowouts IMO. 14 SOG in a home playoff game is simply pathetic. I suspect the Flyers know how lucky they are to be up in this series.
You can't make a true determination on how good/bad the Flyers are because they haven't been behind for 1 minute this series. The Flyers will play a bend don't break defense and if they aren't behind there's no reason for them to take chances, send two in on the forecheck, etc. If they are up 2 goals they are perfectly happy to dump it deep and make the Habs try and navigate through a clogged neutral zone and get chances off turnovers. The Habs on the other hand are behind the whole series so of course they are going to play with a greater sense of urgency.

Old
04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
You can't make a true determination on how good/bad the Flyers are because they haven't been behind for 1 minute this series.....
True they haven't been behind, but all I can comment on is the play I've seen, not the play that we might have seen in other circumstances. To say that because they haven't been behind their play isn't representative of who the Flyers are or can't be assessed makes a board like this one fairly pointless no? Of course I form my own judgement how good/bad the Flyers have been so far.

Also- what's your attraction to Habs board?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Taylor View Post
I think you need to familiarize yourself with playoff hockey.
Sir.. I've been an NHL fan since the 1980's. I played hockey from 4 years old all the way thru junior a hockey. I've seen junior GOON hockey and this is reminiscent of that. It's stepping over the line now. I watch these other games purely out of the entertainment value that ice-hockey gives me. I found myself DISGUSTED watching last nights game and I don't even have a horse in the race!

I agree that playoff hockey is scrappier and a lot more physical but some of these cheap shots don't define "physical play". It defines goon hockey and it's not a product that the NHL can sell to wholesome families across Canada and the USA. You have to remember that this is a business too and there is a product involved that WE all love. We need that product to continue on and on for years down the road.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Georgia Dawg

Would this thread even exist if Montreal was up in the series?

This is playoff hockey. It is more intense. More hitting. Some may be dirty. I say man up and inflict some pain on Philly.

Georgia Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Andy Gator

Quote:

How lucky are the habs when Price stones the other teams
You can't have it both way's. Last I checked the goalie is part of the
team. Or don't you think Price is that good, or are you just whinig again.

Andy Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
infamous20v

im not surprised, both the players and their fans are scum. if my caps came back to bring it into a game 7, i KNOW the habs can do it too.

oleee ole ole oleeeee GO HABS GO!!!

infamous20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Banger

Quote:
True they haven't been behind, but all I can comment on is the play I've seen, not the play that we might have seen in other circumstances. To say that because they haven't been behind their play isn't representative of who the Flyers are or can't be assessed makes a board like this one fairly pointless no? Of course I form my own judgement how good/bad the Flyers have been so far.

Also- what's your attraction to Habs board?
I just like to see what the other teams impression of the games are. I also can learn a lot more about the team and it's players by listening to the fans comments.

Last edited by Banger: 04-29-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old
04-29-2008, 10:54 AM
LesCanadiens

Ha ha.....this thread is embarrassing.

Sergzandreikostitsyn: Welcome to NHL playoff hockey.

Please, don't mistake this for any international tournament. Because they have absolutely nothing in common.

The only thing I'll say is....the refs suck just as bad as they do in the regular season. But that is expected too.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:03 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
Would this thread even exist if Montreal was up in the series?

This is playoff hockey. It is more intense. More hitting. Some may be dirty. I say man up and inflict some pain on Philly.

Well let's just say this... I don't have a team in this match up. I'm a penguins fan who just likes to watch the other games out of the enjoyment of hockey.

My friends and I were watching the game last night and were disgusted with how it was being played. It wasn't even exciting when Montreal came back (for fans outside of Montreal's fan base) because all it was.... was power play after power play. There was no even strength hecktic battles leading to a shift of emotion It was a dirty hit from Hatcher... 2 PPG's then they had to kill a penalty at the end of the game and it was a ****** hockey game.

There was no enjoyment from watching that game as an OUTSIDE Montreal/Philly hockey fan. There is no WAY the NHL can sell that product that was on the ice last night.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:18 AM
roy munson

So, to recap...

Habs fans : "They're bums and play dirty"
Flyers fans : "It's playoff hockey. Grow a pair"

I think that sums up the 120+ posts.

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:20 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
So, to recap...

Habs fans : "They're bums and play dirty"
Flyers fans : "It's playoff hockey. Grow a pair"

I think that sums up the 120+ posts.
Pretty much. Can it be locked now?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Uber Coca

It's playoffs hockey indeed. We should stop crying and elaborate a plan to score a goal on the powerplay instead.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
le_sean

I'm surprised no one has rubbed Downie's hearing aid and called him grandma. That should piss him off a little more.

Granted the Russians did that and he owned them.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:52 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
It's playoffs hockey indeed. We should stop crying and elaborate a plan to score a goal on the powerplay instead.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. The Flyers gave the Habs TONS of opportunities for the PP last night and the only goals came from the Hatcher penalty. Physically the Habs aren't holding up that bad, but no one seems willing to fight back. I understand the dirty plays, but at the same time, if you're not willing to bring the game to the opposing team, especially in the playoffs, your team is going to faulter. Every game the Flyers lost in the Caps series was due to the team not skating and they lacked the physical presence that they needed to win.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm surprised no one has rubbed Downie's hearing aid and called him grandma. That should piss him off a little more.

Granted the Russians did that and he owned them.
Holmgren's taught Downie to count to 10 before anything like that, and he's already on a short leash. Except for stupid penalties, he's doing his job.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote