HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Exodus beginning?

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Exodus beginning?

The waves of Lockout looming are starting to ring around the NHL. Milan Hnlicka and Lukas Mensator have signed in Europe.

Staff cuts for the Washington Capitals and Carolina Hurricanes among others are now a reality including not only cursory employees but long time scouts and employees with over a decade of service.

NHLPA and Agents feel lockout is likely and the rhetoric isn't good.

I want to be optimistic, but the sentiment isn't condusive to optimism.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Mizral

I believe last week Dallas fired 9 of it's front office employees.

Guys like Joel Quenneville and Brian Burke looking for work after the work stoppage aren't going to be hired until the 11th hour. Nobody wants to be paying a guy when he's not needed. After the draft, expect a lot of contracts of several guys in management positions to be 'adrift' until labour negotiations appear to be coming to a head.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Mizral

One thing to notice though, expect the rhetoric to be fast and furious right now, up until after the draft. Once July and August hit, expect all these guys to back off a bit on their posturing.

Remember the last CBA? This thing won't be done until the last possible minute. I have a hard time believing that the NHL & NHLPA want to forgoe several billion dollars in potential revenues just to proove a point though. If these guys are half the money-grubbers we think they are, expect this thing to get hammered out before October rolls around.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:54 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

just one point, Hnlicka signed in Europe because he felt he wasn't being treated fair game in the Kings system. He felt that he wasn't given a true shot to be a backup/starter on NHL level and thinks he's better off playing somewhere else then behind Huet and Cechmanek. so i think he would have left irregardless

Old
05-18-2004, 12:56 PM

Most teams have laid off a considerable amount of their support staff. I don't remember the exact number, but I remember reading the something like 25% of the Coyotes staff was let go.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:19 PM
GudVibransons

In Florida though, they are hiring more employees. Michael Yormark, the Panthers COO, believes that there won't be a lockout and he is hiring more staff members to help increase Panthers ticket sales. There was an article about it in the Sun Sentinel (or maybe it was the Palm beach Post, one of them).

Old
05-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Terrier

As is usually the case in these disputes, the little people are the ones who truly get hurt. Owners are usually wealthy to begin with, willing to sit tight and cut their losses, and the players, who have been such a gravy train that on average they make more than NFL players, have their strike funds at the ready. However, the modest folks who handle everything from group sales to beer sales are, for the time being, sent packing.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:15 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
One thing to notice though, expect the rhetoric to be fast and furious right now, up until after the draft. Once July and August hit, expect all these guys to back off a bit on their posturing.

Remember the last CBA? This thing won't be done until the last possible minute. I have a hard time believing that the NHL & NHLPA want to forgoe several billion dollars in potential revenues just to proove a point though. If these guys are half the money-grubbers we think they are, expect this thing to get hammered out before October rolls around.

I think there will be no play until Christmas.

NHL will make its offers in July-August.

NHLPA will laugh at them will want no play through preseason to prove they mean it.

NHL owers call their bluff and walk away from October-November to prove they can bluff back and aren't backing down.

Players get bored around Dec and start worrying about missing fat checks, GMs/owners get worried about the $$$$ they are watching disappear.

Sides talk seriously in December, all be it more behind the scenes as both don't want to seen to be backing down.

Play resumes in January some time.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:02 AM
I am Jack's Fish

Send a message via AIM to I am Jack's Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagman-O-War
In Florida though, they are hiring more employees. Michael Yormark, the Panthers COO, believes that there won't be a lockout and he is hiring more staff members to help increase Panthers ticket sales. There was an article about it in the Sun Sentinel (or maybe it was the Palm beach Post, one of them).
Actually the Panthers have been firing non-essential office staff for the last few weeks and only have been hiring sales staff that are going to work for selling all events at the ODC.

Those sales staff are basically kids earning around 20K and commissions, and they ahve a whole slew of them coming in and out in a revolving door. But hockey staff people like marketing, media and community relations, team services, etc have started to been let go.

Also most of the hockey operations staff who have contracts will have them expire June 1st.

So the only people the Panthers (which is now essentially the ODC staff now, since they have been merging the groups together) are hiring are kids right out of college to sell tickets to all the events at the ODC.

And saying Yormark doesnt think there is going to be a lockout either is meaningless. This is a guy who sent out a company wide e-mail lauding the Panthers efforts in getting a point against New Jersey. Problem was, the Panthers getting only that point eliminated them from the playoffs. Guess his top 10 list why the Panthers would make the playoffs didnt look to smart.

Old
05-19-2004, 09:29 AM
JFPIV

Take a look at spector's hockey.

He has a free agent page.

Both Christobal Huet and Dany Heatley have signed option contracts with European teams in the event that there is no NHL season this season.

In addition, if you compare this year's European signings with last year's (the site also has last years free agent list up) you'll see that we've already seen as many guys sign with European franchises this offseason as we did all of last year.

At this point it's mostly "marginal" talent, but as the summer drags on and the labor environment gets uglier you will likely see more and more guys on their way overseas.

Closed Thread