HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you break in new goalie pads?

Old
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Blue32

vCash: 500
How do you break in new goalie pads?

Hey guys.

My 7-year-old will officially be playing as a goalie here in Atlanta starting in June.

I bit the bullet and finally got him some ice hockey pads since he's been practicing in street hockey ones. They are the Vaughn Velocity ones; I've heard really good things about them and I got them for a steal.

Anyway, they seem pretty stiff so I was wondering if there are any tricks to breaking them in. I've heard some pretty extreme things from hitting them with a hammer to running over them with the car. I doubt that's the best way to go so I was wondering what you can share with me from personal experience?

Thanks.

Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:31 PM
ResidentAlien*
Unregistered User

Besides the obvious one, using them

You can try getting some rope, or a belt and stand them up individually, push down on the top so they " accordion" down in their natural breaks. Then tie the rope like that to hold them,leave them over night. That works well, you will have to do it a few times of course.

Also don't forget to let them dry properly after each use ( upside down ) Vaughn also recommends scotchgaurding.

Good luck, also- there is a lot of great info on goalielife.com - lots of Dads and lots of info.

ResidentAlien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
push them down, smack them with sticks pucks whatever. Beat on em till theyre nice and broken in. Good luck to your son.

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:21 PM
nspeen

I think i once read that Arturs Irbe would run his pads over with a bus

nspeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien View Post

You can try getting some rope, or a belt and stand them up individually, push down on the top so they " accordion" down in their natural breaks. Then tie the rope like that to hold them,leave them over night. That works well, you will have to do it a few times of course.

Also don't forget to let them dry properly after each use ( upside down ) Vaughn also recommends scotchgaurding.

Good luck, also- there is a lot of great info on goalielife.com - lots of Dads and lots of info.
this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csn00b View Post
push them down, smack them with sticks pucks whatever. Beat on em till theyre nice and broken in. Good luck to your son.
not this.

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Rickety Cricket

When I had Velocities, the best thing for me was to just practice in them. It only took 2-3 practices to get them broken in

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

They are Vaughn. Therefore, just wear them normal and they will soften up a little. They are stiff pads tho, they won't go to mush about a year.

I've been wearing Velocity 2's for 4 seasons now and they feel just as stiff as the day I first practiced in them. And I love it.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 01:35 AM
TANK200

I have been using Vaughn Velocitys for about four years, and they're great pads. Best way to break them in is just by using them. If you feel you would like to try some other way, just don't do anything foolish like running them over with a car. (Though it doesn't seem like you were really considering that sort of thing seriously anyway.)

TANK200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien View Post

i used to do the same thing but instead of rope i would just wedge them in under a set of stairs or a bench or something. same concept. works great.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Blue32

Great info. Thank you everyone for your responses; I truly appreciate it.

Loved the goalielife.com forums. I'm sure I'll be on there alot.

Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 05:27 PM
shibdib

just practice in them, get him over to some stick and puck sessions if he doesnt practice often and shoot on him. The 3rd stringer on my team had a nice pair of black white velocitys, wouldnt trade em for my rbk's tho

shibdib is offline   Reply With Quote