HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny on foruth line

Old
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I also dont get all the hate for Sjostrom and Backman. I think that Sjostom has hussled and managed to give the 4th line a bit more presence in the other team's zone...he cycles rather well and uses his size. Backman, who was horrible in the regular season, has really picked up his game in the playoffs. He is still not amazing defensively, but he's ok on the 3rd pairing with Mara. In terms of rushing the puck, I would say that Backman is the best out of all of our D. We just dont have a Leetch right now, but Backman does a decent job. You need a guy like that when you are trying to get the puck out of your zone with a solid pass...
SJostrom hasn't given the 4th line anything in a long time..He doesn't hit..and he rarely gets shots on goal or creates offense..And his clearing of the puck sometimes sucks, like yesterday..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 05:04 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
SJostrom hasn't given the 4th line anything in a long time..He doesn't hit..and he rarely gets shots on goal or creates offense..And his clearing of the puck sometimes sucks, like yesterday..
We know you are a sjostrom hater. Its cool man. Sorry he doesn't do all of that in the span of 5 minutes per game. Maybe you should go replace him and go hit, clear the puck and get a shot on goal all within a 45 second shift. Plesae mr. Larry

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
mti79

Quote:
You don't like Prucha on the 4th, you don't like Freddy on the 4th... who do you want out there? Hollweg-Betts-Orr is not the answer we need either.

mti79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 05:24 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Excellent move but I worry Prucha has sat too long to be effective with 2nd line duties. In reality though all this means is that Prucha will be getting about 5 additional ES minutes, doubling his last games.
i think last game was a conditioning stint on the 4th line for Prucha, hopefully he's got a bit of his game legs back and who knows...fact is gomez has been alone in the offensive zone for 5 full seconds before shanny and the d can even make it there lol, and thats no disrespect to shanny, hes just slow, and to be honest now our 4th line has a chance to put one home, betts and sjo work there ***** off and im sick of seeing orr or holly miss the net or flub it into the goalies pads...maybe shanny makes one mistake count out there against lesser skaters that hes been facing as gomez linemate

Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 04-28-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Staals Eye
What me worry?

Thank god!!! Shanny has been awful!!!!!!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Captain Monglobster

Maybe Renney should have replaced Shanny w/Prucha on our anemic PP. That's where Prucha earns(ed) his paycheck anyway, and it can't possibly make the PP worse than it already is.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
i think last game was a conditioning stint on the 4th line for Prucha, hopefully he's got a bit of his game legs back and who knows...fact is gomez has been alone in the offensive zone for 5 full seconds before shanny and the d can even make it there lol, and thats no disrespect to shanny, hes just slow, and to be honest now our 4th line has a chance to put one home, betts and sjo work there ***** off and im sick of seeing orr or holly miss the net or flub it into the goalies pads...maybe shanny makes one mistake count out there against lesser skaters that hes been facing as gomez linemate
Agree about Gomez needing some help, but it sure ain't the cahllenged Prucah or Sjostrom...I'd still rather go with Sahnny and a chance for a shot...And BS about Betts and SJostrom being the hard workers and Orr/holly screwing off..Holly and Orr work every bit as hard and are 10X more physical then Sjostrom and Prucha..And neither Prucha nor Sjostrom can generate a damn thing...Sjostrom hits nothign and gets nothing on goal...And talking about Stone hands, there's a reason Frederik the Great hs two goals in 50 games..

Old
04-28-2008, 06:37 PM
blandBob

Shanahan is expected to be a force out there, and that is what game 3 will require. Not sure he can do the speed thing at all anymore, or I think he would be. So his size, experience and sniper ability has to out in front of MAF tomorrow, saw a bit of that on Sunday. Whatever way he does it, he has to make his presence felt out there in some way.
I'd rather see Prucha out there than Sjostrom. Sure Prucha wasn't huge out there but I see more potential from him than Sjostrom, at least I've seen Prucha have a nose for the net before.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 06:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The most discouraging thing is Shanny had a week or so off leading up to Game 1 and he didn't seem any more rested than he did Game 5 in Newark.

04-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
You don't like Prucha on the 4th, you don't like Freddy on the 4th... who do you want out there? Hollweg-Betts-Orr is not the answer we need either.
Actually, for this series, and on home ice, I think it is..It was our best 4th line all year and they played well against the Penguins..

Old
04-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Actually, for this series, and on home ice, I think it is..It was our best 4th line all year and they played well against the Penguins..
I was about to say the same thing. Let's not forget, it was the H.B.O. line that shut down Crosby several games over the regular season by playing him physically. Granted, Hossa wasn't there then, but still.

Bottom line: PEPPER THE NET. SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT! WIN!!

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The most discouraging thing is Shanny had a week or so off leading up to Game 1 and he didn't seem any more rested than he did Game 5 in Newark.
I thought the same, except I almost thought he looked worse, if that's possible. I think the only answer is that he's playing through some kind of injury, more significant than just your everyday, playoff bumps & bruises. I dunno what else could possibly explain his lack of....well, everything.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 12:53 PM
squishy

So much for that.

Quote:
After Tom Renney had tinkered with both possibilities yesterday in practice, the coach is going the other way: Both Prucha and Strudwick will be scratches, meaning Christian Backman stays in at defense, and Brendan Shanahan most likely stays on the second line with Scott Gomez and Sean Avery.

In Prucha’s place, Ryan Hollweg looks like he’ll be making his series debut. Go figure.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/0...much-for-that/

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 12:55 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
thank god Struds isn't in. sorta disappointed Shanny isn't being demoted but eh who knows.... it's not like we got blown out the first two games... they both could have went either way.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I kind of like what Renney is doing here, keeping the Pens guessing.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
beastly115

At least Mara is still on the PP.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
n_a_c

Hbo

I think this is the best decision Renney could make. I like having HBO line back together. They all hit, all play decent defensively. I just hope Hollweg is back to last season's form, and not afraid of the NHL talking to him or penalties. Well... hope he doesn't take too many, but does hit.

The penguins haven't been able clear the puck well when Drury, Dawes and Callahan are on preciscely because they do hit & cycle. And HBO can hit and cycle as well if not better.

As to Prucha or Sjostrom - I would rather have Sjostrom on the ice right now. Prucha is extremely streaky, and he didn't prove that he has any confidence right now. With Sjostrom, we know what we are getting.

I'm still confused who Hollweg is replacing though.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
I think this is the best decision Renney could make. I like having HBO line back together. They all hit, all play decent defensively. I just hope Hollweg is back to last season's form, and not afraid of the NHL talking to him or penalties. Well... hope he doesn't take too many, but does hit.

The penguins haven't been able clear the puck well when Drury, Dawes and Callahan are on preciscely because they do hit & cycle. And HBO can hit and cycle as well if not better.

As to Prucha or Sjostrom - I would rather have Sjostrom on the ice right now. Prucha is extremely streaky, and he didn't prove that he has any confidence right now. With Sjostrom, we know what we are getting.

I'm still confused who Hollweg is replacing though.
It's not the HBO line. It's Hollweg-Betts-Sjostrom. Hollweg replaces Prucha.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I thought the same, except I almost thought he looked worse, if that's possible. I think the only answer is that he's playing through some kind of injury, more significant than just your everyday, playoff bumps & bruises. I dunno what else could possibly explain his lack of....well, everything.
Sometimes the simpliest answer is the right one.
Brendan Shanahan
Born: Jan 23, 1969

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Fletch

For a guy...

who played a banging-type power forward game his entire career, that's very telling, Brooklyn. I just moved yesterday and my back hurts from watching the movers move all my crap (Shanny and I were born in the same year) - I can't imagine how he must feel.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
who played a banging-type power forward game his entire career, that's very telling, Brooklyn. I just moved yesterday and my back hurts from watching the movers move all my crap (Shanny and I were born in the same year) - I can't imagine how he must feel.
It's easy for people in their 20s and 30s to overlook the effects of time. But it gets harder and harder once you're in spitting distance of 40.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I haven't read the entire thread but in a way this is sort of sad. It's the end of the road for Shanny. He knows it, we all know it and it would be great if he could go out with a great playoff run. I am reminded of Lanny MacDonald in 1989 who was in a similar posiiton with Calgary (not even dressing for some games) but he was called upon in The Finals and he scored the game winning goal in game 6. He ended his career carrying the Stanley Cup. Could it happen again?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
It's easy for people in their 20s and 30s to overlook the effects of time. But it gets harder and harder once you're in spitting distance of 40.
This post is too epic for a hockey message board. I feel your pain though (or I guess I will feel your pain, in about 15 years.)

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote