HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Ryder - Should he Play?? (merged)

Old
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
Offer him some cod as a playoff bonus.
Screech b'y, screech!

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Yes the opportunties on the 3rd and 4th lines with no PP...I forgot those opportunities he didn't take advantage of!

People look at the stats and see he has gotten half the icetime this year. Been on the 3rd to 4th lines majority of the season and no PP time as well. But, still managed to score half the amount of goals he did the previous season before taking half the shots he took as well...well if he had more icetime, more PP time and top 2 line players to play with well that could have been double the shots on net with double the goals...gee, that would mean another 25-30 goal season to go with a low +/-, high hit totals and a an overall better game!

Talk about a coach screwing a guy over...Carbo is an @$$h0!e!!!
The guy spent first two months on Koivu's line with all the PP time - you don't just dump your top goal scorer after a few bad games. As it became increasingly clear to the coaching staff that Ryder couldn't do it, they started looking for a solution on the line's RW and Sergey became one mid December. And he still was getting some PP time, and every now and then Carbo would go back to HKR line hoping, just like some on this board, that Ryder would arise from the dark place to become a scorer again. Even when Saku went down, Ryder was immediately inserted on the second line, and yet again was a non-factor. I like his attitude - he does not pull a Samsonov - and wish he would regain his shooting skill some day, but right now he is in no position to help this team.

Last edited by Locks: 04-29-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: errors
Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
JackieChan

Even if Ryder knows he's gone after this season, the guy still has some friends on this team, he still cares about the team. I'm sure he would work as hard as he can if given the opportunity. He has a contract to negociate this summer, regardless of the team. I'd put him with Koivu and Kovy.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Corey

Everyone has a solution. Ryder is a scorer, put him in. Latendresse is a scorer, put him in. Well, they're not scorers now. Carbonneau will be blamed if the Habs don't get past Philadelphia. Since he's accountable, he should do what he feels is best even if he turns out to be wrong.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Everyone has a solution. Ryder is a scorer, put him in. Latendresse is a scorer, put him in. Well, they're not scorers now. Carbonneau will be blamed if the Habs don't get past Philadelphia. Since he's accountable, he should do what he feels is best even if he turns out to be wrong.
Ut oh not the he was a 30 goal scorer excuse again? Face it he is done with the Habs. The guy has had all season and MANY chances to prove it. And the guy just can't get it done. I wish people would move on. Trade him or let him walk. There is nothing left in the tank, and we have some kids that can give exactly what he has this year.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Chfan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Ut oh not the he was a 30 goal scorer excuse again? Face it he is done with the Habs. The guy has had all season and MANY chances to prove it. And the guy just can't get it done. I wish people would move on. Trade him or let him walk. There is nothing left in the tank, and we have some kids that can give exactly what he has this year.
Wow there, 'nothing left in the tank'? He was still 27 last month... Still kinda young if you ask me. I would still give him another chance in the playoffs if he wants to stay.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
Put Ryder in? To do what? Ah, it is to score goals. Well, he hasn't done that during the season, despite every opportunity he was given, and was beyond horrible in the playoffs against boston. The problem is that he seems to have lost the only real skill he had - his shot. And his other skills are at a level that simply doesn't justify him being in the lineup. All he does is ruins play after play. And now some here want to beleive in miracles that he suddenly becomes the scorer he used to be. He is a liability out there, and I am not just talking defensively.
Everyone has bad years, it doesn't take away from the fact that he was a calder candidate and scored 85 goals in 3 years to lead the team. The guy has talent, he has a shot, and MOST of the time he works insanely hard.

Ryder was one of the hardest workers on the ice in the Boston series, except for the last game he played which was a stinker. However, everyone on the team had a crappy game that night. He was not even close to being beyond horrible - you must've been watching someone else. Getting Bob Cole syndrome?

His other skills don't get him into the lineup? So Dandenault has more skill than Ryder huh? Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and in mine - you are an idiot.

No one here thinks that he is going to become Malkin or Crosby if inserted into the lineup - they just think (and rightly so) that an asset like him should be used instead of a grinder like Dandenault because they need to score. That's one more potential goalscorer into the lineup and one more guy for Philly to watch. No one is going to care too much about Dandenault, he's not dangerous. Ryder potentially is, and that may open up ice for someone else or who knows... he may pot a few.

Welcome to the list. My ignore list.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 06:45 AM
albertonhabsfan

BADHABIT................... Very well said!!!! How could it hurt to give him a chance, he may feel as if he has something to prove!!

albertonhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

I'm sure Pierre Dagenais would put in those empty netters... does that mean we should put him in....

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 07:25 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
I'm sure Pierre Dagenais would put in those empty netters... does that mean we should put him in....
Hey, there's an intelligent response!

Just so you know, Dagenais BEST NHL season saw him get 27 points. Ryder's WORST NHL season saw him get 31. Wow, Dagenais is such a finisher.

At this point, it's not even about goals/assists. Comparing these guys is ridiculous. And now I welcome another idiot into the fold of my ignore list.

Quote:
Yes the opportunties on the 3rd and 4th lines with no PP...I forgot those opportunities he didn't take advantage of!

People look at the stats and see he has gotten half the icetime this year. Been on the 3rd to 4th lines majority of the season and no PP time as well. But, still managed to score half the amount of goals he did the previous season before taking half the shots he took as well...well if he had more icetime, more PP time and top 2 line players to play with well that could have been double the shots on net with double the goals...gee, that would mean another 25-30 goal season to go with a low +/-, high hit totals and a an overall better game!

Talk about a coach screwing a guy over...Carbo is an @$$h0!e!!!
Agreed.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-02-2008 at 08:17 PM.
BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Hey, there's an intelligent response!

Just so you know, Dagenais BEST NHL season saw him get 27 points. Ryder's WORST NHL season saw him get 31. Wow, Dagenais is such a finisher.

At this point, it's not even about goals/assists. Comparing these guys is ridiculous. And now I welcome another idiot into the fold of my ignore list.
He also scored 17 goals that year, playing only 50 games, and playing maybe 12 minutes a game with meagre powerplay time.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Unspoken

I think we need all the scoring talent we can get on the ice. Latendresse should have been there since the first game. He's one of the only players with Higgins and Koivu who goes to the net.

I would also bring back the old lines mentioned above. Remember how it is comfortable to come back to your old bed after you've been on a trip... I think the same kind of feeling can be said about going back to your old lines. Players right now hold their stick too tight (they know they need to score more; they know they missed too many chances). Making them comfortable by bringing back the old lines could reduce the level of anxiety many forwards are now experiencing (which is especially visible on the PP).

More broadly:
Imagine if Ryder had been as good as he was last year or the year before that or if had been able to get back his scoring touch during the last stretch of the regular season... I think we would probably have disposed of the Bruins sooner and we would now be leading this serie (Ryder knew how to score big goals...).

This brings me to this:
Why do we always have at least a case of huge disappointment, a blatant case where a player completely wastes a whole season?
I hate it when players are performing WAY below their potential. I'm not talking about a slump here, but a clear case like Samsonov or Ryder (or Theodore a few years ago) where production shrinks to minuscule level.

I don't mind if a few player have a subpar year or if they have stretches where things don't go very well. Koivu hasn't been as good this year, but he still plays at a decent level and he's still able to help the team.

Do we need to have at least one huge disapointment each year? Is it mandatory or is it possible to have a team where all your key players play more or less around what is expected of them?

1) If it is impossible to avoid this, then who'll be the biggest disappointment next year?
2) To counter this negativity and to those who believe in "jinxing", I'll ask who'll be the biggest surprise (who'll be this year's Kovalev?)

1) Streit (if he's back) or Plekanec (I don't think he can repeat what he did this year. Kovalev won't be as "golden" as he was)
2) I'd go with Latendresse (I'll be hated for this... but if he takes skating lessons this summer, he might have a breakout year; if he's given the chance on an offense line, I think he could double his production)

Unspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I agree Ryder should be re-inserted into the line up, however I also think Koivu and Kovalev need to be split up again.

Go back to the old lines of:

A. Kost Plekanec Kovalev
Higgins Koivu S. Kost
Ryder Lapierre Latendresse
Begin Smoke Kostopoulos

MArkov Komiserek
Hamerlik Gorges
Streit Bouillion -
This line would be a -5 come tomorrow come on! I'm tired of ppl saying put lats in, the guy is horrible, send him to the AHL. Enough quebec pride, the dude sucks just face it, maybe one day he'll be good but he sure as hell isn't now, if anything we should bring up Chipchura cause Lapierre/Streit every time I see them on the ice I know a goal is about to happen for the other team, kind of like when Markov plays the puck in the defensive zone.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

I think Ryder needs to be in the lineup on a 4th line that is rarely going to play, along with Streit and Lapierre.

Keep these guys mostly for special teams - Ryder and Streit on PP, Lapierre as PK.

Ryder may boost the PP, he's not much good for anything else, but the PP needs a boost if you look at the missed opportunities for 5-3. Ryder NEEDS to be on those 5-3's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Unspoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
This line would be a -5 come tomorrow come on! I'm tired of ppl saying put lats in, the guy is horrible, send him to the AHL. Enough quebec pride, the dude sucks just face it, maybe one day he'll be good but he sure as hell isn't now, if anything we should bring up Chipchura cause Lapierre/Streit every time I see them on the ice I know a goal is about to happen for the other team, kind of like when Markov plays the puck in the defensive zone.
It's too late for the AHL. His first professional year should have been in the AHL. They made a mistake on that one.
Yet, this year, the big guy maintained his offensive production while being less of liability in defense + playing less time on offensive lines. Not great, that's for sure, but not horrible either.

Check this thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=512115
1) We need someone in front of Biron. It is obvious.
2) We also need to crash their goalie the way they are doing it with Price.
Lats can do the first without any problem.
2) He doesn't always have the grit for the second one, but he's still got the size and if he's asked to do it by Carbo I'm sure he will.

Most people I've talked to, even Lats haters, seem to think he had a good game monday.

Level-headed analysis. hating or loving should have nothing to do with it. Beside his speed, I think the main problem with Lats is that he still think he doesn't belong in the NHL, he's got a big impostor syndrome, which makes him shy when it comes to assert himself...

Last edited by Unspoken: 04-30-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Unspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Kalcon

Let's face the facts...whether he deserves to or not Ryder will never get a chance to play in this series.
Personally, I feel it's a real shame that Guy Carbonneau has given up on a 27 year old, proven goalscorer who, by all accounts, is very well liked by his teammates and has shown a healthy, positive attitude at a time where most would do just the opposite. I really think Carbonneau would rather lose without him than win with him.
It's hard to regain your confidence when those in charge do not show enough confidence in your abilities to to give you a chance to prove them wrong.
When all's said and done, genuine, good guys like Michael Ryder will end up having the last laugh...mark my words!

Kalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Dandes

The third line do nothing at all against the flyer. I don't think the canadien need ryder in the line up but I'm sure Grab will bring more to the line than ryder. Grab was very impressive at the end of the season and he can handle the pressure (He played pretty well in international competitions). Also, he has a lot of character

so I'm going with streit - grab - lapierre (replace streit for tender and put him in the D )

ciao

Dandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
baboinfou

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
Ryder dont give a S*** anymore
he know hes gone
Exactly.
No passion anymore, for the habs at least...

baboinfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
RE-HABS

[QUOTE=GaineysRightHandMan;13930920]I think Ryder needs to be in the lineup on a 4th line that is rarely going to play, along with Streit and Lapierre.

Keep these guys mostly for special teams - Ryder and Streit on PP, Lapierre as PK.

Ryder may boost the PP, he's not much good for anything else, but the PP needs a boost if you look at the missed opportunities for 5-3. Ryder NEEDS to be on those 5-3's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Five on Three...isn't that Smoke's time to shine?

Steal don't get or understand Carbo's train of thought there! If you have him out incase you get kicked out of the face-off...well (1) his face-off percentage is one of the worse on the team and (2) you have 2 more players on the ice than the other team so the opportunity to get to that lost draw is better for the team with more players on the ice obviously...too many defensive minded fools on that coaching staff with the biggest fool leading it in Carbo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboinfou View Post
Exactly.
No passion anymore, for the habs at least...
read the article bozo...he is fully supporting his teammates and is cheering them on...and even if he knows he is done in Monteal, he knows he still loves to play hockey and that will come out no matter where you play!

Idiots...ignore list....NOW!

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-02-2008 at 08:18 PM.
RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:49 AM
baboinfou

Quote:
read the article bozo...he is fully supporting his teammates and is cheering them on...and even if he knows he is done in Monteal, he knows he still loves to play hockey and that will come out no matter where you play!

Idiots...ignore list....NOW!
Bozo...
Idiots...

I guess you're 15 yo who should be at school now.

CAN a MOD send this young men a warning??

That being said, even if "he still loves play hockey", he hasn't play for a while and last time he did, wasn't really involve in the game. And there's no room for him on top 6. Bottom 6 is not for him...

Now MOD, please, don't let those trash talking happens...

Old
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
Put him on the left wing where Higgins is so he could put in those empty nets.
It's worth a shot....

Them replace Dandy with Higgins - cup's won....

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:01 AM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by baboinfou View Post
Bozo...
Idiots...

I guess you're 15 yo who should be at school now.

CAN a MOD send this young men a warning??

That being said, even if "he still loves play hockey", he hasn't play for a while and last time he did, wasn't really involve in the game. And there's no room for him on top 6. Bottom 6 is not for him...

Now MOD, please, don't let those trash talking happens...
funny how you call him a 15 year old but you call for the mods as if you were calling you mom to rat out your little brother

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:06 AM
baboinfou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
funny how you call him a 15 year old but you call for the mods as if you were calling you mom to rat out your little brother
lol

I should insult him back as he did I guess...
If he can't write without insulting, should leave.
Can't assume everybody will agree on his Ryder's crush...

Old
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
predz

To say he wouldn't care is behond rediculous. I mean a good performance in the playoffs could have a huge impact on the number of team interested in him next summer. He should care more then anybody else on this team (money wise).

predz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:37 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Thanks Jaydee96....since I have him on the "ignore" list I don't get the posts anymore.

And baboinfou for your info I'm in my 30's and have a job and a family, just can't stand reading junk from non-hockey background and mis-informed people like yourself.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote