HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

#14 Edmonton on the clock

View Poll Results: Oiler #14 overall?
Montoya g 8 7.77%
Picard 64 62.14%
Radulov 6 5.83%
Chipchura 12 11.65%
Green d 2 1.94%
Smid d 2 1.94%
Lisin 3 2.91%
Bolland 0 0%
Meszaros d 0 0%
Schultz d 1 0.97%
Wharton d 0 0%
Fransson d 1 0.97%
Alexandrov 1 0.97%
Schneider g 0 0%
other (and write in) 3 2.91%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2004, 11:45 PM
  #26
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
I think it's NY Islanders, Nashville St. Louis and Columbus and Calgary from 15-19
01. Washington Capitals
02. Pittsburgh Penguins
03. Chicago BlackHawks
04. Columbus BlueJackets
05. Phoenix Coyotes
06. NewYork Rangers
07. Florida Panthers
08. Carolina Hurricanes
09. Anaheim MightyDucks:
10. Atlanta Thrashers:
11. LosAngeles Kings
12. Minnesota Wild
13. Buffalo Sabres
14. Edmonton Oilers
15. Nashville Predators
16. NewYork Islanders
17. Saint-Louis Blues
18. Montreal Canadiens
19. Calgary Flames*
20. Dallas Stars:
21. Colorado Avalanche:
22. NewJersey Devils:
23. Ottawa Senators
24. NewYork Rangers (from Toronto)
25. Edmonton Oilers (from PHI)*
26. Vancouver Canucks
27. Washington Capitals (from BOS)
28. SanJose Sharks:*
29. TampaBay Lightnings:*
30. Washington Capitals (from Detroit)

* move cup winner to thirty and everyone else up a spot


Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-16-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Beakermania* is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 12:42 AM
  #27
sushinsky4tsar
Registered User
 
sushinsky4tsar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Edina, MN
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Good list Beakermania. I'm off to Nashville.

sushinsky4tsar is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 11:43 AM
  #28
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
I took Chipchura. As much as I was impressed by Picards play in both the ReMax challenge and the prospect's game, but I would hate to see the Oilers pass up on a big centre man who plays tough and has a history of scoring (though their draft year wouldn't say it). Chipchura from what I've read/heard has good size but is very limited in scoring ability... Doesn't that sound like last years Jeff Carter (who I think is going to be as good as a Primeau) or Ryan Getzlaf. I remember in 95 when the Oilers took speed (Kelly) over a rugged forward (Doan) and that was one of the most painful drafts. I actually think Chipcura may turn out to be a power forward like Doan.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 01:51 PM
  #29
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 725
1. Alvaro Montoya - I just got a feeling he'll be great
2. Kyle Chipchura - Upside of Keith Primeau and downside of Ethan Moreau... How can you lose with this pick?
3. Alexandre Picard - Seems to be the consensus pick.

Sethis is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 01:53 PM
  #30
oilswell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wandering the globe
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar
Yep looks like it didn't take long to get a concensus.
I chose Smid for no other reason that he'll fit in well with Smith Smyth Smith and Smith.

oilswell is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 01:57 PM
  #31
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
2. Kyle Chipchura - Upside of Keith Primeau and downside of Ethan Moreau... How can you lose with this pick?
I think here lies the problem... his upside isn't great, but he probably won't be worse than a 3rd liner. I think Edmonton needs a game breaker, and Chipchura doesn't sound like that kind of guy.

Then again, he's probably the safest pick in the draft when all is said and done.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 02:33 PM
  #32
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I think here lies the problem... his upside isn't great, but he probably won't be worse than a 3rd liner. I think Edmonton needs a game breaker, and Chipchura doesn't sound like that kind of guy.

Then again, he's probably the safest pick in the draft when all is said and done.
My thoughts exactly. He's the Ryan Kesler of 2004. Which isn't a bad thing.

If the Oilers didn't have Stoll, I would put more stock into them picking up Chipchura. But they do have Stoll

I could see a team such as the Canadiens picking up Chipchura though. They need more guys like him.

Mizral is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 02:39 PM
  #33
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
My thoughts exactly. He's the Ryan Kesler of 2004. Which isn't a bad thing.
I think that's a pretty good comparison. I'd rather have Chipchura, but those types of players are usually pretty good to have. I agree with the whole Stoll thing.

Seachd is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 02:47 PM
  #34
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,276
vCash: 500
I think we gotta go with Picard, but that would leave us with a glut of top 2 centre prospects (Ninnimakki, Pouliet, Picard among others). Maybe we deal Ninimakki and/ or Rita along with Phillys 1st, and try moving up?

Mowzie is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 03:05 PM
  #35
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,108
vCash: 500
Something I'd like to add:

With the Oilers second pick in the draft (1st round, Flyers pick), it might be a good idea to take a long hard look at a player named Ryan Garlock. I saw him play several times this past season. I think he plays 'Oilers hockey' to a frickin tee. He's quite skilled with good size and boy can he hit. I am hoping the Canucks take a look at him too.

Mizral is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 05:25 PM
  #36
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Something I'd like to add:

With the Oilers second pick in the draft (1st round, Flyers pick), it might be a good idea to take a long hard look at a player named Ryan Garlock. I saw him play several times this past season. I think he plays 'Oilers hockey' to a frickin tee. He's quite skilled with good size and boy can he hit. I am hoping the Canucks take a look at him too.

Position? Height? League? Type of Game? Fill us in man!

As for Chipchura, I agree but would likely be willing to do it none-the-less. Like Boyd Gordon, Jarret Stoll, or Ryan Keslers picks, it would not be for the upside as much as knowing you'll have a really good player on your team if he can progress properly.

Sethis is offline  
Old
05-19-2004, 07:52 AM
  #37
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar
Agreed. But then again, I think the only selection where you can say bad pick, is O'Neill to the Ducks at #9.
Things changed in the last two weeks...At the time we wanted a franchise defensmen, but I don't think O'Neill is going to be one...we know now that Bryan Murray wont draft O'Neill...

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
05-19-2004, 12:11 PM
  #38
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
Position? Height? League? Type of Game? Fill us in man!
Ryan Garlock - Centre, 6'1 or 6'2 (I've heard different things throughout the year. Maybe he grew to 6'2?), OHL (Windsor Spitfires, though he played the bulk of the season with the Guelph Storm)

He plays a lot like Horcoff actually, but with better offensive instincts. He got an ankle injury this year, but he still put up 19 goals, 44 assists for 63 points in 52 games. Though not an elite offensive talent, he still has exceptional hands in close. Loves to drive the net, hit in the corners, and in general plays a lot like Brendan Morrow of the Dallas Stars. He has a very, very strong work ethic which is what I like the most about him.

I'd say he's got #2/3 centre upside, and could slip as far as the early 2nd round.

Mizral is offline  
Old
05-19-2004, 01:36 PM
  #39
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I think we gotta go with Picard, but that would leave us with a glut of top 2 centre prospects (Ninnimakki, Pouliet, Picard among others). Maybe we deal Ninimakki and/ or Rita along with Phillys 1st, and try moving up?
No need. Picard is a LW, not a centre. Possibly in 4 years time? (if of course, nobody gets injured, gets into contract dispute, comes over from Russia, actually proves themselves at the NHL, doesn't slip in the shower and break leg, likes Edmonton, that Edmonton survives past the CBA, etc.)

Picard - Pouliot - Hemsky
Mikhnov - Niniimaki - York
Torres/Smyth - Stoll - Salmelainen
Smyth/Torres - Horcoff/Reasoner - Stortini

Brewer - Semenov
Lynch - Woywitka
Bergeron - Green
Staios

Deslauriers

PB: Rita (still)

Master Lok is offline  
Old
05-19-2004, 02:03 PM
  #40
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,108
vCash: 500
Mikhnov over Smyth and or Torres is absolutely laughable. Sorry neogeo, but the guy is still a longshot to make the NHL at all.

Mizral is offline  
Old
05-19-2004, 02:14 PM
  #41
Doomsday Device
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Posts: 2,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Ryan Garlock - Centre, 6'1 or 6'2 (I've heard different things throughout the year. Maybe he grew to 6'2?), OHL (Windsor Spitfires, though he played the bulk of the season with the Guelph Storm)

He plays a lot like Horcoff actually, but with better offensive instincts. He got an ankle injury this year, but he still put up 19 goals, 44 assists for 63 points in 52 games. Though not an elite offensive talent, he still has exceptional hands in close. Loves to drive the net, hit in the corners, and in general plays a lot like Brendan Morrow of the Dallas Stars. He has a very, very strong work ethic which is what I like the most about him.

I'd say he's got #2/3 centre upside, and could slip as far as the early 2nd round.
Just a correction on the stats, Garlock had 19 goals and 28 assists for 47 points in 52 games. If he'd put up your numbers, the Oilers should be looking at him with their first pick.

Doomsday Device is offline  
Old
05-19-2004, 03:47 PM
  #42
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
A long shot? If he's a long shot the Nucks don't have a single player in their system with a shot. Only thing stopping Alexei is coming over to N.A. which he would have done this year if it wasn't for the CBA.

thome_26 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.