HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post Game Thread 4: We will Still WIN this Series...

Old
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
CBBRH

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CBBRH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
HELL ******* YES we will win game 5.

Then game 6.

Then game 7.

The wait until Saturday night will be a long one, lots of time to think things over which might not be good for a young team. But if they step out onto the ice and just work hard and try and get the job done, then they will get the job done. Keep things simple. Play your game. Work hard. Hit the net. Clear the zone. They don't have to pull out some miracle performance, they just have to do things right. If they can do that, they can win.

Go Habs Go
An excellent post QGD! WE WILL WIN!!!

CBBRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Yep and we could of had Hossa....
Well...Hossa sucks hairy horse balls these series too. The difference is that Hossa has Crosby feeding him pucks like a kid popping quarters at an arcade.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
We can win this series! BELIEVE!! GO HABS GO!

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:11 PM
les3couleurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Flyers are quicker They are not. We're much quicker than them that is why we spend most of the time with the puck in their zone

Flyers are more physical Yes

Flyers have had better D No they have, they've had better G

Flyers can actually AIM at the net OK, but still shoot on our goalie and it still goes in. That doesn't happen to us.

Flyers play a simple effective style Score on the PP and hang on with Biron ?

Flyers block 60%+ of our shots Overstated

Flyers WANT to win We do too, too much for some #22

We are slow Get glasses, seriously

We have problems making 3 straight passes It's certainly tough

Our PP is attrocious No arguing there

We play too fancy A bit, but we have them beaten and the puck bounces over our sticks

We miss the net and it creates offensive chances for them Doesn't happen that much

Anyone surprised we're actually playing a 5th game saturday! it's a actually a bonus game!
You should take the NHL out of your name it'd be more appropriate.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:16 PM
habsfan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Habs won't win next 3.
It's over.
Stop being an idiot because we dont want to hear your stupid opinion,thats nice that you dont think the habs are going to win but dont have your ass on here when they do win an advance to the next round. Why do people feel the need to come in here and run down the team saying were not going to win..Does that make you feel good about yourself?

GO HABS GO!!!

habsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:16 PM
brownman*

As much as I want to chock up the lack of finish and slick plays to a collective reluctance to pay the price, I think the problem lies more in their lack of anticipation (or maybe communication).

How many times was the puck wired from the point, on the PP, around the boards only to have all of Higgins/Koivu/Kovalev chasing it as a Flyer cuts it off, turns around and dumps it? And it seems like every time one of the top six are engaged with a defender along the boards they're expecting a second man to come in and help, so they ease off the puck and try to keep the defender in check only to realize that second man is in the slot or ten feet away, nowhere near in support.

But anticipation and whatnot aside, it really does just come down to the Habs not being strong enough on the puck. When the puck is loose you're supposed to scratch, jump, claw your way to get it and they're just not doing that enough, as a team.

In game 5, they just need to battle. Just battle and shoot the puck hard, stop trying to get it on net and start trying to put it through the net. This series is winnable, only question is do the Habs want it? I hope so

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Gilles Tremblay

Time to resume normal life now. No more hitting the bar every two nights to catch boring games and worry about getting good seats near the TV. Get the bike out, enjoy Montreal spring everyone. Hope the Habs don't lose in front of the home crowd, but it's just delaying the inevitable. The Habs are tired, like it or not.

Gilles Tremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:20 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
You should take the NHL out of your name it'd be more appropriate.
How dare you question me! lol

You make some valid points but i do not agree that we are quicker...we have the POTENTIAL to be but we simply aren't...look at out defensive zone clearing attempts...the pucks moves on the board and pretty much every time the Flyers F or D is on it 1st....our wingers and standing still and can't anticipated where the puck will go...their F are constantly fore checking by some good skating, moving and getting in position to take a shot.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Well...Hossa sucks hairy horse balls these series too. The difference is that Hossa has Crosby feeding him pucks like a kid popping quarters at an arcade.
too funny....made me laugh.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThePriceisRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan1990 View Post
We can win this series! BELIEVE!! GO HABS GO!
Maybe

ThePriceisRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:22 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I wonder why we're losing the series?
Because the puck will not go in for the Habs and it will go in for the Flyers.

Yes, it really is as simple as that.

3 games running now that the Habs have the better and more numerous chances but the puck simply doesn't go in for them. Whereas the Flyers get the tip here, the bounce there, the screen on that one, and get far more goals on fewer chances. You can hope that your goaltender will stop those goals -- but none of them were genuinely 'weak'.

Call it a hot goalie, call it opportunism, or call it puck luck -- considering the number of posts struck by the Canadiens, I think it's more of the latter, but some of everything. The bottom line is that it happens in hockey, it's maddening, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it because really, you're doing just about everything right.

Unfortunately, hockey is a game where you have to have "puck luck" to win. You can decide not to call it "puck luck" if it sounds like an excuse, call it "mojo" or "opportunism" if it makes you feel better, but in a game that's played around a very bouncy rubbery object over a very slippery and rapidly degrading surface, you are going to have a lot of bouncing and tips and slides that either team does not control. This is a simple fact that people do not like to admit because it sounds like making excuses and there's a very negative view on that. But it's the way it is.

You can maximize your chances by significantly outplaying the other team and generating more and better chances, as the Canadiens have done, and the team that does so will generally win and will be called "better". But if the other team is getting the bounces and you're not, you can still outplay the other guys significantly and lose. Even three games in a row, apparently.

Over the course of a season it tends to even out... over the course of a series, though, a run of good or bad bounces can carry you or make you lose. That's why the playoffs are in large part a crapshoot. There's too much a team can't control, and not enough "volume" for it to even out.

It's frustrating, getting old, and it's very likely to cost the Habs the series at this point. Sad to see such a promising season end this way. Sad, and almost unfair, but both teams do play under the same conditions.

And this, ultimately, is why the Habs come back down 3-1 in the series and there's nobody to blame at all. The puck isn't rolling for them. And if they do get eliminated this way, what do you say? What could they have done better? Who is there to blame?

That's also how Washington lost, by the way. Maybe the Flyers are the Team of Destiny (tm) after all.

Amusingly, the game the Habs played the worst, they won. Maybe they should try to suck, that seems to have worked better for them.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
David

It was a heart breaker.

CH is finally playing Playoff hockey and there was definitely more effort there tonight than any time prior to tonight's game.

Unfortunately, once again, Philly was winning all the dirty battles, hustling to the puck, and taking away CH's time and space time and time again with their hustle so that CH didn't have time to generate anything. Instead, CH kept giving away their puck due to Philly out hustling CH.

THIS is what I am talking about when I say that Canadian boys want to win the Cup more than guys from other countries. Even the no talent Canadian guys are willing to do anything to win, never mind whether it's ugly or not! While the Russian guys are still trying to be fancy and not willing to pay the price.

Although, I gotta admit that there a couple of time when CH did try to stand in front of the net...although far away from goalie to avoid any punishment.

CH got lucky for about 30 seconds but that's about it in this game.

CH's lack of size is starting to show as well.

Markov played a good game for the first time in a while.

Koivu was the anti-Kovalev. Koviu was really hustling and really, really fighting for the puck while Kovalev was still floating along trying to make pretty plays that often got intercepted.

And then there's Begin's mistake...but if your Kosties and Plekanecs and Kovalevs didn't dick around all night, then Begin's mistake would be a moot point. But then again, what would be their motivation? They don't even get paid to play in the playoffs! I'm sure that they can wait to go back home to Russia and Belarus their girl friends' warm *******.

If CH plays with the intensity that they showed tonight and win some of the dirty battles esp. along the boards while driving to the net and distracting Biron, I think that they have a good chance to win the next game.

If they win the next game, they can win the next one after that in Philly. Then game 7 is anyone's game.

But, I still stand by my opinion that this team doesn't have enough Canadians to win the Cup this year. No one is willing to do the dirty work on this team.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Form and Substance

Hell yeah we can win. The key?
DONT ****ING GO DOWN 2-0 IN THE SECOND PERIOD!

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2009 View Post
You're an idiot, you're obivously not a true fan,you NEVER give up hope. Dont come on here when we advance saying oh I know we were going to win because your sorry ass just gave up hope.booooo
Whatever floats your boat, man. Me, I'm going to get tickets for a WHC game Saturday night. I'm with the guy you replied to - time to start enjoying the spring. This series is done. Montreal is just not fighting hard enough to win the games, they keep waiting until they're down a couple to really start pressing. The PP has gone into the toilet again. Koivu's the only forward out there playing like a warrior.

Believe me, I wish it weren't so, for damn good reason: I'm going to Montreal next week and I would have killed to see a game!

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

We can win game 5, and potentially game 7, but game 6 is the question.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Call it a hot goalie, call it opportunism, or call it puck luck -- considering the number of posts struck by the Canadiens, I think it's more of the latter, but some of everything.
Luck for 1 period--fine....1 game--ok...2 games--mmm, but 3 full games?!?

Anyone here remember the Series against the Sabres (we got swept) in the late 90'S where Hasek was so lucky ALL the time...after a while you were wondering if the Habs players were actually trying to shoot the put right at him or his posts...same feeling here

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:28 PM
habsfan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Whatever floats your boat, man. Me, I'm going to get tickets for a WHC game Saturday night. I'm with the guy you replied to - time to start enjoying the spring. This series is done. Montreal is just not fighting hard enough to win the games, they keep waiting until they're down a couple to really start pressing. The PP has gone into the toilet again. Koivu's the only forward out there playing like a warrior.

Believe me, I wish it weren't so, for damn good reason: I'm going to Montreal next week and I would have killed to see a game!
You will see a game because we are going to advance!!!
GO HABS GO!!!

habsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
ed ible*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
We can win game 5, and potentially game 7, but game 6 is the question.
We had a better road record than home record so it dont look good.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

We did it in 2002 with half the talent our team has now. I could never come out and say its impossible.. Do I believe we can come back and win this series? Yes.. But the current situation is pretty demoralising.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:

Anyone here remember the Series against the Sabres (we got swept) in the late 90'S where Hasek was so lucky ALL the time...after a while you were wondering if the Habs players were actually trying to shoot the put right at him or his posts...same feeling here
I remember that Sabres series, it was painful, Hasek flip-flopping around, but nothing got by him...Habs had like 50 shots one game.

This series does feel similar...unfortunately.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Because the puck will not go in for the Habs and it will go in for the Flyers.

Yes, it really is as simple as that.

3 games running now that the Habs have the better and more numerous chances but the puck simply doesn't go in for them. Whereas the Flyers get the tip here, the bounce there, the screen on that one, and get far more goals on fewer chances. You can hope that your goaltender will stop those goals -- but none of them were genuinely 'weak'.

Call it a hot goalie, call it opportunism, or call it puck luck -- considering the number of posts struck by the Canadiens, I think it's more of the latter, but some of everything. The bottom line is that it happens in hockey, it's maddening, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it because really, you're doing just about everything right.

Unfortunately, hockey is a game where you have to have "puck luck" to win. You can decide not to call it "puck luck" if it sounds like an excuse, call it "mojo" or "opportunism" if it makes you feel better, but in a game that's played around a very bouncy rubbery object over a very slippery and rapidly degrading surface, you are going to have a lot of bouncing and tips and slides that either team does not control. This is a simple fact that people do not like to admit because it sounds like making excuses and there's a very negative view on that. But it's the way it is.

You can maximize your chances by significantly outplaying the other team and generating more and better chances, as the Canadiens have done, and the team that does so will generally win and will be called "better". But if the other team is getting the bounces and you're not, you can still outplay the other guys significantly and lose. Even three games in a row, apparently.

Over the course of a season it tends to even out... over the course of a series, though, a run of good or bad bounces can carry you or make you lose. That's why the playoffs are in large part a crapshoot. There's too much a team can't control, and not enough "volume" for it to even out.

It's frustrating, getting old, and it's very likely to cost the Habs the series at this point. Sad to see such a promising season end this way. Sad, and almost unfair, but both teams do play under the same conditions.

And this, ultimately, is why the Habs come back down 3-1 in the series and there's nobody to blame at all. The puck isn't rolling for them. And if they do get eliminated this way, what do you say? What could they have done better? Who is there to blame?

That's also how Washington lost, by the way. Maybe the Flyers are the Team of Destiny (tm) after all.

Amusingly, the game the Habs played the worst, they won. Maybe they should try to suck, that seems to have worked better for them.
I actually think this is why hockey is so unpopular in the US - if you don't understand the dynamics of the game and just flip it on even great players look sloppy, at least if you're used to seeing NFL and NBA players plant their feet and turn hard to consistently make perfect catches.

Sigh.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:36 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Flyers are quicker

Flyers are more physical - Perhaps

Flyers have had better D - Definitely not

Flyers can actually AIM at the net - Circumstancial

Flyers play a simple effective style - Flyers have virtually no system

Flyers block 60%+ of our shots

Flyers WANT to win - So does Montreal

We are slow - Far from it

Sorry as a Flyers fan, this just seems like you are putting yourself down for no reason. I'm sure a few Montreal fans will agree with me that the bounces just seem to be going Philadelphias way. Shot ratio is definitely in Montreal's favor, Flyers just seem to be having a lucky set of bounces, along with Biron holding it together.

If Montreal had of swept Philly ( like so many habs trolls originally proclaimed... ) it wouldn't have surprised me in the least.

That and there's one more thing yeah....

It's not over yet
. If anything our series with Washington will pose as a great demonstration for that.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Luck for 1 period--fine....1 game--ok...2 games--mmm, but 3 full games?!?
Well, you just saw it, didn't you?

How else are you going to explain that a team that dominates territorially, and outchances the other team in ratios of 3 to 2 or 2 to 1, for three games running can lose all three?

What are the Habs supposed to do? They have the puck the majority of the time. They generate quality shots. They get great scoring chances. They limit the opponent's shots and chances.

The power play is a bit of a mess, and you can argue they could have better goaltending, but other than that, they are doing everything they should need to do to win a game. Except put the puck in the net.

Let me restate that. They have played well enough to win each of the last three games.

But they're not winning.

So what do they need to do better? What can they do?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
habtastic

I believe that this week I may suffer a heart attack, whether we win or not, i'm already broken. Two years in a row Begin has screwed us. I love the guy, but when it counts, why Steve? WHY!!!! nevertheless, unlike last year we have 1 to 3 games to make up for it. I DO believe we can do it. We can. I feel the worst for Saku. 3 games in a row, bringing us back. I believe that the rest of the team will play like Saku and give us the jubilation that we experienced in 2004. It's meant to be. It's Price's time to shine. It's time to show everyone that we can overcome adversity. We are the underdogs now and that's when we seem to shine. Common Montreal, get behind your team. We are still in the drive for 25.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:38 PM
MM425

If they can come out with a strong effort and win game 5, I'll start to get optimistic.

Unfortunately there's nothing in the series thus far that makes me think our fortunes will change...

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote