HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

0.95 Seconds; Begin's Penalty Discussion (merged)

Old
04-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Cam Neely

vCash: 500
clear penalty in today's NHL.

sadly, the days of putting the whistle away on marginal calls in close games in the playoffs are over.

did you already forget the 6 straight powerplays you got in game 2 against the bruins in the last 10 minutes?

todays NHL my friends....welcome aboard.

Cam Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Clumsyhab

That penalty should be called if it happened in the 1st period, but not with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. It is very similar to Poti's penalty vs Flyers in game 7 OT, since it both happened in center ice, borderline call and at a crucial moment. Still, Begin is dumb.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
ShuttFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Neely View Post

sadly, the days of putting the whistle away on marginal calls in close games in the playoffs are over.

did you already forget the 6 straight powerplays you got in game 2 against the bruins in the last 10 minutes?

you suggest consistency where consistency doesn't exist.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:04 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Sorry but you need to grow some cranial tissue

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
I've voiced my displeasure with the refereeing many times before, and I thought it was clearly a penalty.

Stupid hit, and the right call was made.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
That penalty should be called if it happened in the 1st period, but not with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. It is very similar to Poti's penalty vs Flyers in game 7 OT, since it both happened in center ice, borderline call and at a crucial moment. Still, Begin is dumb.

Ugh, I'm glad refs don't think like you...the rule book is the rule book, it doesn't change during ANY period, including the third.

04-30-2008, 10:09 PM
wamsley

Good teams would have got Begin off the hook. It was an iffy call at that point in the game,
but it did not change the fact that Montreal has not scored all series and that Philly has been
opportunistic.

Series is far from over. The Boston/Washington series' showed that

wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:09 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
D'you workout the rust off your golf game yet there bud?

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:10 PM
wamsley

Yeah, they never call the game differently in the 3rd period or OT

wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post

Habs got the calls the whole series to that point. Apologies and I won't post on your board anymore, but the Habs have zero reason to be ticked at the refs, they've given you every chance to bury the Flyers but they're outgutting you. Good luck in game 5, this series is far from over.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsley View Post
Yeah, they never call the game differently in the 3rd period or OT

They shouldn't, luckily the game is heading in that direction where the game will be called the same no matter what part of the game it's in.

Penguins23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:15 PM
AaronTrieu

selfish plays like that pretty much always backfire. The Flyers bailed each other out tonight.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

The concept really isn't that complicated: The rulebook should be enforced as written -- that's why it was written that way. An infraction that is a penalty in the first five minutes of the game is a penalty in the final five minutes, too. (Should strike zones change in the ninth inning, or the line of scrimmage become flexible after the two-minute warning?)

For a referee to ignore rule violations because the score is close and time is winding down isn't allowing players to decide the outcome of the game. It's intentionally neglecting to do his job and if that happens often enough, the league that employs him should find someone who's willing to do it properly.

Please,please, PLEASE Habs...BEAT THE FLYERS ATLEAST TWO MORE TIMES!!!!!!!!

Old
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
I was as pissed as anyone at Begin after the game but after Carbo's comments after the game I got to wondering.

I can accept the loss considering the lack of intensity this team has shown for so many games in these playoffs. Too many players not ready for prime time.
Lack of intensity?

If the Habs are lacking intensity, what is Phillie, an ECHL team? With average goaltending right now we are leading 3-1 maybe 4-0 if you take out the backbreaking goals.

The turning point tonight was the Umberger goal, in the NHL playoffs your goalie can't give up that one in a close game.

We have the team to beat anybody in the playoffs but the lack of experience in nets is showing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Habs got the calls the whole series to that point. Apologies and I won't post on your board anymore, but the Habs have zero reason to be ticked at the refs, they've given you every chance to bury the Flyers but they're outgutting you. Good luck in game 5, this series is far from over.
Yeah like that too many men call on Monday, replay clearly showed the 6th guy on the bench by the time his replacement gets in the play?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
The concept really isn't that complicated: The rulebook should be enforced as written -- that's why it was written that way. An infraction that is a penalty in the first five minutes of the game is a penalty in the final five minutes, too. (Should strike zones change in the ninth inning, or the line of scrimmage become flexible after the two-minute warning?)

For a referee to ignore rule violations because the score is close and time is winding down isn't allowing players to decide the outcome of the game. It's intentionally neglecting to do his job and if that happens often enough, the league that employs him should find someone who's willing to do it properly.

Please,please, PLEASE Habs...BEAT THE FLYERS ATLEAST THREE MORE TIMES!!!!!!!!
I agree with you on the rule book thing.. but i don't think Begin's hit was a penalty at any time.

Also I fixed your post.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Time from when Kappanen touched the puck until Begin made contact, stopwatch and rewind on the PVR, 10 trials.

Maybe Begin shouldn't have taken that chance and maybe the Habs could have put in a better effort in the first 55 minutes, but it wasn't a penalty and that's frustrating.
It was boarding or interference, plus it was a stupid dangeropus play. You just don't hit someone into a door. Thats attempt to injure.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I agree with you on the rule book thing.. but i don't think Begin's hit was a penalty at any time.

Also I fixed your post.

Yeah I wouldn't have called that but it just frustrates me when people whine about it "being the third period" as an excuse to NOT call a penalty

Old
04-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't have called that but it just frustrates me when people whine about it "being the third period" as an excuse to NOT call a penalty
Same here... I'm also annoyed when fans say... but they have to even out the PPs... we've had 4 more penalties then they have.... Thats not a good reason to let plays go or make marginal calls.... There is no rule in the rulebook that says the PPs should be equal.

They don't equalize Penalties and Fouls in the NBA or NFL... so why should hockey be different?? And no just because that is how it was done pre-lockout is not a good reason.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Same here... I'm also annoyed when fans say... but they have to even out the PPs... we've had 4 more penalties then they have.... Thats not a good reason to let plays go or make marginal calls.... There is no rule in the rulebook that says the PPs should be equal.

They don't equalize Penalties and Fouls in the NBA or NFL... so why should hockey be different?? And no just because that is how it was done pre-lockout is not a good reason.

Could you imagine an Umpire in baseball trying to even out the amount of strikes?

Old
04-30-2008, 11:36 PM
MuffinMan*

Quote:
Could you imagine an Umpire in baseball trying to even out the amount of strikes?
I've done it. It's hard to do, and little league parents are so awful and mean.

MuffinMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:49 PM
HabsPack

Begin's hit was completely needless and irresponsible, that's why the refs called it. If Kapanen was in the corner centering a pass for a possible goal it *might* have been let go, Philly have gotten away with a lot of late hits in their defensive zone. But the fact is there was absolutely no need for that decision by Begin in that position of the ice at that time of the game, very very risky play and I'm not surprised at all the refs called it (it actually looked worse than it actually was which could've been a factor in the call).

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:06 AM
dre2112

I thought this was going to be a thread about how many seconds we've held a lead for... .95 seconds between the time the puck crossed the line in OT and when the horn sounded

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 05:53 AM
flappuck

Quote:
There's no penalty in the book for what you're describing. A huge part of the game is the physical play near the puck, including right after you've played it.
You could pin that hit either as a charging or a boarding penalty.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:20 AM
rocketlives

At that point in the game, Begin shouldn't have been on the ice. It wasn't the time to hit opponents, it was the time to score a goal. I blame Carbonneau and all he could say after the game was Halak was good but not good enough. Where was Kovy tonight? Where was Higgins? Where were the **** brothers?

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote