HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

back spasms

Old
04-28-2008, 12:25 PM
ArchieIsGod

vCash: 500
back spasms

hey im suffering from a back spasm and i have a game tonight so i was wondering if there is a risk of injuring it further or if its just dealing with the pain. i have no problem working with pain but if i might hurt myself further then its not worth it

thanks for any advice

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Balmer15

Send a message via MSN to Balmer15
You'd probably hurt yourself more, it'd be best going to a doctor for that though.

Balmer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod View Post
hey im suffering from a back spasm and i have a game tonight so i was wondering if there is a risk of injuring it further or if its just dealing with the pain. i have no problem working with pain but if i might hurt myself further then its not worth it

thanks for any advice
Are you sure they are back spasms? Have you ever had a doctor look at your back? I get back spasms from time to time and they are due mostly to disc problems in my case. If you haven't had a doctor look at it, you probably should.

I usually need to let it rest for a couple of weeks before playing again. My doctor tells me to stay away from any weight lifting for a few weeks as well if you work out.

Usually advil helps a little but I've had to get cortisone shots in the past as well.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:16 PM
ArchieIsGod

it happened at work, so i had to go to a doctor and he said it was a back spasm and id be fine by wednesday and put me on light duty...no more than 20lbs lifting. there isnt much pain so i wasnt sure how touchy these things can be

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod View Post
it happened at work, so i had to go to a doctor and he said it was a back spasm and id be fine by wednesday and put me on light duty...no more than 20lbs lifting. there isnt much pain so i wasnt sure how touchy these things can be
Try to stretch out as much as possible. You can find plenty of good back stretching routines on the web.

Once I started stretching out, the spasms didn't occur nearly as often.

Old
04-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Lost Kangaroo

What do you do for a living ?

Im FDNY and just recently suffered from the same ailment, according to the quacks at the medical office. Anyway, just wondering if you saw the same doctors as me.
The pain I was dealing with, there is no way I would be able to skate. Couldnt even stand upright or walk. In any event, I would go to another doc and have your back checked. I dont trust these jack ass doctors at the medical office worth a dam. their main objective is not your well being, its to get you back to full duty or light duty and off medical leave as fast as possible. Just be carefull before you hurt yourself more.

Lost Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Kangaroo View Post
What do you do for a living ?

Im FDNY and just recently suffered from the same ailment, according to the quacks at the medical office. Anyway, just wondering if you saw the same doctors as me.
The pain I was dealing with, there is no way I would be able to skate. Couldnt even stand upright or walk. In any event, I would go to another doc and have your back checked. I dont trust these jack ass doctors at the medical office worth a dam. their main objective is not your well being, its to get you back to full duty or light duty and off medical leave as fast as possible. Just be carefull before you hurt yourself more.

My experience has been more like yours....no way I could skate in a few days. It usually takes a couple of weeks with a mild strain of my back and a couple of months with a severe strain. That is with cortisone shots or pills.

It might be that his spasms are the symptom of a different problem than what you and I experience. Like I posted before, my spasms are a result of a herniated disc and a bulging disc.

The first time I hurt my back (about 15 yrs ago) I was in bed for 3 days and couldn't move. Now that I do a lot of back excercises and stretching, the severity of my strains and spasms has decreased dramatically.

Old
05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
DevsFan84

I have a similar problem, and being a goalie I think aggravates the problem even more.

I do a couple of things that help out- I really make a conscious effort to improve my posture. I was slouching a lot and that had something to do with the spasms. That alone has reduced my back pain by 90%

Also, there is a really good prescription medicine for back spasms called Flexiril which worked well for me.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:35 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Just wrap sock tape around your midsection for increased support? Works great for my hand that I somehow messed up on the weekened

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote