HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

An open letter to Mitch Albom

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2004, 12:17 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
An open letter to Mitch Albom

Mitch,

I took notice of your rant on ESPN's the Sports Reporters today and had to wonder what you were thinking. You said you were upset about how the NHL ruins the playoffs by allowing small market clutch and grab teams to overpower the highly skilled top teams of the regular season and therefore destroy the quality of play and level of interest in the playoffs.

While I see the obvious reference to the President's Trophy winning Detroit Red Wings and heard your later comment about media markets of Detroit and Colorado, I had to wonder if you had really noticed who was left in the playoffs.

In the West where you directed your complaints the #2 seed San Jose Sharks are still alive and kicking. They may not be the style team you are looking for or in a major media market, but they were an elite regular season team that trailed only the Wings in the standings in the West.

In the east, how can you complain about lack of either star power, media markets or successful regular season teams? I don't get it. Tampa Bay is the #1 seed in the east and possess the NHL scoring champion from the regular season. Philadelpia is as big a media market and as deep in hockey passiona and tradition as any team outside the original six teams. Did you miss that? OR....is your real point that you are upset that the Wings went home early two years in a row?

Old
05-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Terrier

I also saw Mitch Albom's rant on Sunday morning, and I believe he is simply angry over the Red Wings' ouster from the second round of the playoffs. As a Bruins fan who has witnessed a litany of playoff disappointments during the last quarter century, I would kill for a sniff of the Wings' success. What does Albom want? On one hand, he whines about the teams who have made the NHL's final four, how they're not "major" enough. On the other hand, he probably moans about how big market teams dominate Major League Baseball, how it's become little more than a cold war between New York and Boston, while Detroit has turned into a baseball backwater. At least a hockey team in Tampa Bay can compete. Mitch Albom the baseball fan won't ever have to worry about a World Series between Tampa Bay and Milwaukee.

Old
05-18-2004, 03:13 PM
RI Canuck

Albom's an idiot. After the Bertuzzi-Moore incident he said that "actions like this are typical of every NHL game." He's just another hockey hater at ESPN like Tony Kornheiser.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:18 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Mitch Albom has not earned the right to utter one syllable in regards to the game of hockey.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:43 AM
Shoalzie

If the Wings played with half of the heart and intensity of the Flames, they probably wouldn't have been eliminated. Clutching and grabbing is such a tired excuse. The Wings had plenty of scoring chances but no one could finish. Joseph played well enough to win but his offense failed him. Calgary played a tough series and they deserved to win. I usually like Albom but he is way off base on this.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Canuck
Albom's an idiot. After the Bertuzzi-Moore incident he said that "actions like this are typical of every NHL game." He's just another hockey hater at ESPN like Tony Kornheiser.
First off, Albom is NOT a hockey hater. He is one of the top sportswriters in the enitre country. He's written thousands upon thousands of hockey articles and also a few books about the Red Wings. He is a hockey fan...believe me. The only association he has with ESPN is that he is on the Sports Reporters quite a bit. He isnt "another hockey hater at ESPN". This guy has a clue when talking about hockey...unlike just about everybody at ESPN with the exception of John Buccigross.

Secondly, I agree that his rant was rather short-sighted and came off as whiny. I think the style of play that is being played by the final 4 teams has been fun to watch.

So, I disagree with Albom on this one. But he normally has very good takes on sports. Dont let this 1 bad observation cloud your image of Mitch Albom. He is a top notch sportswriter and a top notch author in his own right.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Albom's team is the one of the best out there at clutching and grabbing.

A hypocrite if I've ever seen one.

Old
05-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
First off, Albom is NOT a hockey hater. He is one of the top sportswriters in the enitre country. He's written thousands upon thousands of hockey articles and also a few books about the Red Wings. He is a hockey fan...believe me. The only association he has with ESPN is that he is on the Sports Reporters quite a bit. He isnt "another hockey hater at ESPN". This guy has a clue when talking about hockey...unlike just about everybody at ESPN with the exception of John Buccigross.
Whatever Albom has to the good is negated by appearing with the blowhards on "The Sports Reporters."

Old
05-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Albom's team is the one of the best out there at clutching and grabbing.

A hypocrite if I've ever seen one.
Calm down. I'll be the first to admit that the Wings changed their style of play quite a bit this past year to more of a clutch and grab team. But who hasnt? You can count on 1 hand the number of teams that DONT clutch and grab consistently. And there is not 1 single team that doesnt do it at one point or another. Not one. There is clutching and grabbing in every game, and done by every team. Some more than others.

I admitted that Albom was off base last week. He is a very well respected and normally very informative writer most of the time.

But, I guess his career is shot now. Nobody can say ANYTHING dumb anymore without being completely thrashed on these boards.

Old
05-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

hey , not all of them are blowhards, i like John Saunders.

Old
05-19-2004, 06:56 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Albom... isnt "another hockey hater at ESPN". This guy has a clue when talking about hockey...unlike just about everybody at ESPN with the exception of John Buccigross.
Are you freaking kidding me? Say what you want about Melrose, but he coached a team to a Stanley Cup Finals, won the Memorial Cup in 1988 and won the Calder Cup in 1992. Melrose also played 300 games in the NHL, plus 178 in the WHA.

Darren Pang and Ray Farraro, the other two hockey experts, also played NHL hockey. Ferraro had a fine career, with numbers that are only about a level below Hall of Fame stats. Pang played 81 NHL games and went on to assistant coaching at Notre Dame University for a few seasons.

Buccigross is a great guy and knows hockey, but his purpose on the show is as the professional broadcaster, much like the play-by-play announcer is paired with someone who knows hockey. In fact, John Saunders, ESPN's other broadcasting pro, knows more about hockey than Buccigross.

Maybe Albom should stick to Oprah to hock his Tuesdays with Morrie.

Closed Thread