HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dissatisfied with Carbonneau

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2008, 08:47 AM
  #101
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,284
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i honestly don't know much about Carboneau as a coach, but i have a lot trouble thinking that John ****in Stevens is outcoaching him.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:15 AM
  #102
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
been ok, but if there's anything he should stop trowing the goalies under the bus like he does all the time...

the "not good enough" comment on Halak in his post-game PC was stupid.
I missed the post-game PC...

So Carbonneau said he would take responsibility for starting Halak.....and then torpedoes him?

That's brutal.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:29 AM
  #103
Munchinator
 
Munchinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
He's a good coach. Stop whining, bunch of ****ing ******s.
In case you didn't remember, the Kovy-Pleks-Kosty line wasn't producing, and I'm pretty sure Koivu and Kovy have been coming together for atleast one goal pg (see Koivus >1ppg).

This fanbase is absolutely retarded. Bashing Begin, bashing Carbo, earlier in the season bashing Koivu. Real true fans right there. ****ers.

Munchinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:38 AM
  #104
Judge Sauer*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nunavut
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,989
vCash: 500
If any coach was going to employ the Flying V, Stevens is the only one that would actually try it.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:49 AM
  #105
nickyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laubelroc View Post
carb has been out coached in almost all games so far .very soft team like i said earlier dont get upset its fact.
I agree completely. It happened in the last series too against a weak Bruins team in which Julien schooled him completely. You could also question Gainey's motivation and the fact that he brought Carbo in to coach because of the very fact that he captained MTL the last time they won a cup, and Bob probably wanted that sentimental value. I'd say it's now established that Carbo really shouldn't be coaching in this league, maybe try your hand as a hockey analyst Guy. Just my opinion.

nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
  #106
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Adams nominee. The players aren't executing.

/thread

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
  #107
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laubelroc View Post
carb has been out coached in almost all games so far .very soft team like i said earlier dont get upset its fact.
You are wrong on every level. We are being outplayed, not out-coached.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
  #108
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
God I love this ignore thread function.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
  #109
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyb View Post
I agree completely. It happened in the last series too against a weak Bruins team in which Julien schooled him completely. You could also question Gainey's motivation and the fact that he brought Carbo in to coach because of the very fact that he captained MTL the last time they won a cup, and Bob probably wanted that sentimental value. I'd say it's now established that Carbo really shouldn't be coaching in this league, maybe try your hand as a hockey analyst Guy. Just my opinion.
Gainey and Carbo have been working together for a very very long time buddy. Get your facts straight.

How is Carbo being outcoached when we have pretty much twice the amount of shots and twice the amount of scoring chances? Its not the coaches fault Biron is playing extremely well and is lucky. Its not his fault our goalies are letting in weak goals.

Our team is full of youngsters, and with those youngsters, we finished 1st in the East. Its not like we have an all-star roster like Pittsburgh. Carbo has been great this season and that's why he'll probably win the Jack Adams.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:12 AM
  #110
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
You can definitely make the argument that Carboneau was outcoached, because we've seen twice now that he has been unable to adjust the team's strategy in the playoffs.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How is Carbo being outcoached when we have pretty much twice the amount of shots and twice the amount of scoring chances? Its not the coaches fault Biron is playing extremely well and is lucky. Its not his fault our goalies are letting in weak goals.
No.

What you don't seem to understand is that Philadelphia gives teams those low-percentage shots. They have all season. That's the Flyer's strategy. The Flyer's strategy encourages perimeter shots and baits the other team's players away from the net so (1) Biron can see everything, and (2) they are always first to rebounds. Over and over again, the Flyers dare Montreal to shoot from a distance and so far, Carboneau and his players and have taken the bait. That's poor coaching.

There is nothing lucky about a goalie stopping perimeter shots with no traffic. That is what good goalies do. This is playoff hockey; you are no longer facing subpar goalies where east-west coast passing and perimeter shooting will result in goals. Montreal has not adjusted to playoff hockey. That's poor coaching.

The Flyers aren't as good on defense (when it comes to clearing the puck), and they aren't as good in the neutral zone, but they are doing what Montreal is not. They are doing the dirty work -- when they have chances, they crash the net and create net traffic. This results in goals off screens and deflections. If a goalie can't see the puck coming, he can't save it and/or can't save it 'clean' with good rebound control. That's playoff hockey.


Last edited by KenAF: 05-01-2008 at 11:20 AM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
  #111
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
You can definitely make the argument that Carboneau was outcoached, because we've seen twice now that he has been unable to adjust the team's strategy in the playoffs.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Why should he try something different when his players dominate, outshoot and outchance the opponant?..The problem is not the strategy, its BIRON!

If the stupid ref doesn't call that dumb penalty, then we probably get to overtime and maybe we win. All of a sudden its 2-2 and none of these idiotic threads would pop out.

Im so disappointed in HF these days, so many clueless fans saying dumb crap invaded.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
  #112
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,854
vCash: 500
Nothing at all wrong with Carbo's coaching. Take a look at the shot differential between the teams. If the players can't put the puck in the damn net that isn't the coaches fault.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
  #113
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
You can definitely make the argument that Carboneau was outcoached, because we've seen twice now that he has been unable to adjust the team's strategy in the playoffs.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

No.

What you don't seem to understand is that Philadelphia gives teams those low-percentage shots. They have all season. That's the Flyer's strategy. The Flyer's strategy encourages perimeter shots and baits the other team's players away from the net so (1) Biron can see everything, and (2) they are always first to rebounds. Over and over again, the Flyers dare Montreal to shoot from a distance and so far, Carboneau and his players and have taken the bait. That's poor coaching.

There is nothing lucky about a goalie stopping perimeter shots with no traffic.
That is what good goalies do. This is playoff hockey; you are no longer facing subpar goalies where east-west coast passing and perimeter shooting will result in goals.

The Flyers are doing what Montreal is not -- crashing the net and creating traffic to screen Montreal's goalies and create deflections. If a goalie can't see the puck coming, he can't save it and/or can't save it and practice good rebound control.
Euuhhhh..what about the empty nets we miss because it bounces over our stick?..what about the 20000 posts we hit??..what about the crappy goals are goalies are letting in??..
Why is it when our goalie makes a save the rebound magically appears on a Flyers stick??..why is it when the Flyers hit a post the puck goes to straight to a Flyers?..Why is it when we hit the post the puck goes in the stands or completely to the side??..
The bounces are going the Flyers way, its not even funny, and not just on offence, but on defence too.
If Price plays like he did vs Boston, the Flyers are getting their golf clubs today.

And during the regular season, Flyers barely made the POs and Biron had a lot of problems, so dont talk about them as if they practice such a great system all seasons.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
  #114
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,904
vCash: 500
Against Julien he did a couple of games but Stevens is getting owned every witch way possible but luck is on his side.We just can't finish plain and simple

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:37 AM
  #115
Maximus Taylor
 
Maximus Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyb View Post
I agree completely. It happened in the last series too against a weak Bruins team in which Julien schooled him completely. You could also question Gainey's motivation and the fact that he brought Carbo in to coach because of the very fact that he captained MTL the last time they won a cup, and Bob probably wanted that sentimental value. I'd say it's now established that Carbo really shouldn't be coaching in this league, maybe try your hand as a hockey analyst Guy. Just my opinion.
yes, that's probably why he got nominated for the Jack Adams. Because he shouldn't even be better than the worst coach in the league.

I'm not sure he's been top 3 all year, but the fact remains that the statement that he shouldn't coach in the league is ludicrous.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:41 AM
  #116
SarahCrash
Registered User
 
SarahCrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: St. Albert, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Stevens can't outcoach Carbo. it's about which team is enduring better because I'd definitely see more skill on the Canadiens, but when certain key guys stop producing and their key guys keep producing, you better have a Vezina type in net or else...

San Jose won last night simply because Nabakov played solid through the third. SJ is still done IMO because their 'key guys' aren't producing- where's Brian Campbell? the same thing is happening in Montreal.

SarahCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
  #117
Sweaty17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Worst thread of the year, can't believe I spent the time to read this

habs finish first, habs make second round, coach nominated for jack adams award,
team is almost out shoting opponets 2 to 1 on a nightly basis.

Carbo has done nothing but given the habs a chance to win.

Biron is standing on his head, playing the best hockey of his life and we can't get any traffic in front of him

That's why were losing, not because of coaching

Sweaty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
  #118
Bruins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
I don't know if he has necessarily been outcoached in this series. Execution is the problem in this series...this and our forwards being frightened to death to go to the front of the net. Carbo was definitely outcoached in the Boston series though. Julien took him to school.

Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:03 AM
  #119
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Euuhhhh..what about the empty nets we miss because it bounces over our stick?..
Both teams have had that. The Flyers have had plenty of passes bounce over their sticks. That sort of thing happens in most games on the east coast, where the ice quality isn't consistently good.

The Flyers have hit their fair share of posts. Twice, the Flyers scored after hitting a post because they had a player in front of the net to get the rebound. When the Habs hit the posts, no one is there to get the rebound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
what about the 20000 posts we hit??..what about the crappy goals are goalies are letting in??..
Once again, when the Flyers have chances, they crash the net and create net traffic. This results in screens and deflections. If a goalie can't see the puck coming, he can't save it and/or can't save it 'clean' with good rebound control. That's playoff hockey.

The Flyers do this during the regular season too, but during the playoffs it is taken to a new level. During the regular season, there are many times where it is too risky to stick one or two players in front of the goalie, in the path of hard shots (i.e. injuries and lost teeth inevitably result). But during the playoffs, that is what good teams do to score goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Why is it when our goalie makes a save the rebound magically appears on a Flyers stick??..why is it when the Flyers hit a post the puck goes to straight to a Flyers?..Why is it when we hit the post the puck goes in the stands or completely to the side??..
That should be obvious. Because the Flyers are right there in front of the net to grab the rebound.

There are many times where there's a rebound on Biron. But the Habs can't get it because they are on the perimeter and/or the Flyers have inside position. Once again, that is the Flyers strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Price plays like he did vs Boston, the Flyers are getting their golf clubs today.
It's not possible to play the same way against Philly. Boston is a defensive team with one of the worst offenses in the NHL. Boston was the worst offensive team in the playoffs besides New Jersey. Boston has zero 30g scorers and just two 20+g scorers; Philly has two 30g scorers and six 20+g scorers. They score all those goals because their style of play (traffic, crashing the net) creates those chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And during the regular season, Flyers barely made the POs and Biron had a lot of problems, so dont talk about them as if they practice such a great system all seasons.
See above. In the playoffs, traffic is taken to another level because you don't have the same injury concerns.

As far as the Flyers "barely" making the playoffs, you may recall that they lost 12 of 14, including 10 games in a row, at one point during the season. Among playoff teams, only Washington had a worse sequence of games (3-16-1). Philadelphia and Washington would both be atop the division without those 2-10-2 and 3-16-1 streaks.

Philadelphia ended their season winning 7 of their last 9 games, with two wins against the NYR, and wins against Pittsburgh and New Jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21pro View Post
San Jose won last night simply because Nabakov played solid through the third. SJ is still done IMO because their 'key guys' aren't producing- where's Brian Campbell? the same thing is happening in Montreal.
When players aren't producing, it is almost always due to (1) injury or (2) something the other team is doing. If your player isn't injured, then you need to take a close look at what the other team is doing. The players on the ice and the system they use is designed to to minimize shots from certain players (or force them to take bad shots) and to minimize shots from certain locations, etc. That's coaching.


Last edited by KenAF: 05-01-2008 at 11:18 AM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:27 AM
  #120
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Like ive said, it doesnt take a lot, especially when you outchance, outhit, outshot, when you have the puck way more often than your opponent. Flyers better finish it in Montreal cuz if we win, confidence will be back and Flyers could get smoked.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:44 AM
  #121
xeric716x
Born To Expire
 
xeric716x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jack City
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
we arent being out coached, we arent being out played.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
  #122
Boulette Cannon
Registered User
 
Boulette Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laubelroc View Post
carb has been out coached in almost all games so far .very soft team like i said earlier dont get upset its fact.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
  #123
Sweaty17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laubelroc View Post
carb has been out coached in almost all games so far .very soft team like i said earlier dont get upset its fact.

Idiot post of the year

I love how a guy gets out coached by a coach he beats out of the play-offs

This is hilirious, a 10th place team a year ago is in the 2nd round of the play-offs and people like you are posting these comments.

There is no IQ test to be a HF member is there??

Sweaty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:06 PM
  #124
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweaty17 View Post
Idiot post of the year

I love how a guy gets out coached by a coach he beats out of the play-offs
Huh? That doesn't make any sense.

During the regular season, teams don't formulate and practice strategies specifically for other teams. For the most part, they play every team the same with minor adjustments. That is not the case in the playoffs. In the playoffs, coaches create game plans for specific teams and specific players and they practice it. That's why coaching becomes a major factor.

After Philly won the last series, Stevens talked about how the Flyers had created and executed a strategy against Ovechkin and the Caps. Stevens created a new strategy for the Habs. I don't know if Carbonneau has a strategy for the Flyers, but it clearly isn't creating goals.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:18 PM
  #125
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 611
LOL.

This is to funny.
The team is young and unexperienced. If they fail its not a big deal. There are growing pains with young teams. Now if they fail to make the playoffs next year then i'd be upset.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.