HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

0.95 Seconds; Begin's Penalty Discussion (merged)

Old
05-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Habbadasher

vCash: 500
IMHO, th e Flyers were making late hits and running interference all game long, that was what Carbo was referring to in his PC.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Vtwin

I think what the ref did was to average the time from this hit and the late hit this punk laid on Savard which broke his back adnd on which no penalty was called.

That hit was about 10 seconds late so the two average out to be about 5.47 seconds late.

I remember a bunch of Habs fans minimizing the punkishness of that hit by rationalizing that Savard had a history of diving so he got what he deserved.

LOL

Maybe Begin is getting what he deserves based on his long history of being a cheap shotting punk?

Vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Netro

It was a penalty.

And also not a smart play by Begin.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
jcpenny

It was a penalty only because it was dangerous. Fully deserved and again dumb play by Begin.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:29 AM
tmp1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
It is ridiculous. All these "fans" going after Begin for what was the marginal call if I ever saw one.

That hit happens all game long and folks are bellyaching and screaming for Begin's head. Some folks make me sick.

There was NOTHING wrong with that hit that wasn't wrong all game and all season long. Folks are frustrated and want to blame somebody, but Begin is really not the guy to blame. Bogus call. End of story
There was EVERYTHING wrong with that hit. Yes, Begin is blood and guts, heart and soul but unfortunately, no brain. If you watch the replay he skates along the boards, VEERS AROUND another Flyer, then tries to put Kapanen through the open door. Stupid.

tmp1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
habfan4

I don't have a problem with calling Begin for interference (a.k.a. late hate), boarding or even charging on that play. I also don't have a problem with a call that late in the game, a foul in the first 5 minutes of the game should still be called a foul in the last 5 minutes of the game.

What I take issue with is consistency of the officials, and I'm not talking strictly about this series or the last (but in every playoff series). The refs are letting forwards run d-men on an almost constant basis with hits (that by the Begin call standard) should be considered interference or boarding etc... If you're going to make a call on a marginal hit near the players bench then why not make a call when a similar hit occurs near the icing line?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
HabsFanatic36

Am I the only one who thought Begin's hit was clean? Common...

Common... Begin's hit was clean! He finished his check! THIS IS PLAYOFF HOCKEY! Not even 2 seconds passed when Kapanen gave away the puck! The door was open, so what. Begin was just finishing his check. It's not like he attempted to injure Kapanen. "C'est dans le feu de l'action" like we say in French!

Remember Scott Stevens hit on Paul Kariya in the Stanley Cup final of 2003. There was no penalty on this hit. So why on Begin's hit?

Still about this! Did it cost us the game? Yes. BUT not because of Begin. It's a bad call by the referee, that's it!!

HabsFanatic36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Habs _Fan

That was a penalty....no doubt. A stupid penalty...

Habs _Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:35 AM
anarmandaleb

Am I the only one who no longer cares about Begin, that call, that loss and is focusing on the next game instead of the last one?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Clean?The guy got rid of the puck like 5 seconds before.I like Begin but he needs to use his head

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:37 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanatic36 View Post
Common... Begin's hit was clean! He finished his check! THIS IS PLAYOFF HOCKEY! Not even 2 seconds passed when Kapanen gave away the puck! The door was open, so what. Begin was just finishing his check. It's not like he attempted to injure Kapanen. "C'est dans le feu de l'action" like we say in French!

Remember Scott Stevens hit on Paul Kariya in the Stanley Cup final of 2003. There was no penalty on this hit. So why on Begin's hit?

Still about this! Did it cost us the game? Yes. BUT not because of Begin. It's a bad call by the referee, that's it!!
Clean hit yes, late hit yes = penalty.

When your team is the one with all the momentum and has tied the game that type of play is a game killer for the one on the PK 9 times out 10...the writing was on the wall after Begin got that penalty. Especially because Philly's PP has been great.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:37 AM
ThePriceisRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Clean?The guy got rid of the puck like 5 seconds before.I like Begin but he needs to use his head
it was actually less than a second but still it was a dirty hit!!

ThePriceisRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Kriss E

It was a penalty, but since they let a lot of crap slide the whole game, they shouldn't have called it.
I mean, you know there's less than 5min left, its 2-2, the Habs had the complete momentum because we had scored 2 in like 30sec, the Flyers lead the series 2-1 so it is a very crucial game, and the Ref calls a penalty. Its so gay..The refs, once again, want to feel extra important and decide the outcome of a game and possibly a serie.

Its not like Begin came from behind and punched somebody. It was a penalty, but given the time of the call and looking at the way they refereed the game, it was a very stupid call.

What Carbo said is very true, we're faster than they are, we're outshooting and outchancing them, we're dominating and playing better then them , Flyers is the most penalized team in the East and 2nd in the league, its really not normal that we end up having more penalties then them.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Sweaty17

He was late by a second may'be

but if that door is closed ot in another put of the boards, no pentaly.

I know the flyer wasn't hurt, but the opened door made it worst than it was

Either way it was a stupid play by Begin, late in the 3rd in a tie game, is it really necessary to go out of your way to hit someone?

Sweaty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
jcpenny

Clear Penalty and dangerous with the door open not too far. If it was in the corners there would have been no call.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Cam Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweaty17 View Post
He was late by a second may'be

but if that door is closed ot in another put of the boards, no pentaly.

I know the flyer wasn't hurt, but the opened door made it worst than it was

Either way it was a stupid play by Begin, late in the 3rd in a tie game, is it really necessary to go out of your way to hit someone?
idiots like begin never learn. didnt he do the same thing last year in a crucial game towards the end of the year. dont forget he broke savard's back with a crosscheck in a tie game with 40 seconds left in the reg season. and now last night.

people give hockey players too much credit for being intelligent. listen, many of them are not. they are jocks, for life. things that you and i realize are smart (ie like not running someone late in a tie game) go right over the head of some of these players. steve begin is plain and simple dumb. D-U-M-B. how many times does he need to prove that to the fans? steve begin did last night exactly what he has been doing his whole career...making dumb decisions because of inferior intelligence. its the organizations fault for not seeing this and putting him out there when he has atrack record of making dumb plays.

what will steve begin be remembered for in his career? outside of habs nation, he is already appreciated as a DUMB player who makes DUMB plays. dont blame begin, blame the fans for cheering him on and the organization for keeping him with the team.

Cam Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanatic36 View Post

Habs fan or not, that was a penalty and is not funny.

3-1 Flyers

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
llamateizer

Begin took alot of really bad penalties.

i remember those 3

1-game 82 against toronto(2 seasons ago) ... took a high stiking penaltye at the end of the 2nd period
2-game 4 playoff (against toronto) Brisebois just scored and at the end of the 2nd period, he hooked in neutral zone.
3-last game

i really like Begin but he takes too much stupid penalties.
im starting to think that we must get rid of him

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Whine, whine, whine...get over it...it was a penalty...Begin has to play smarter than that.
.95 seconds is not a penalty.

I still laugh at the guy who suggested it was a full 5 seconds. This is how bad this board has become.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
.95 seconds is not a penalty.

I still laugh at the guy who suggested it was a full 5 seconds. This is how bad this board has become.
it was a penalty and it is very hard to admit, I know

Old
05-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
it was a penalty and it is very hard to admit, I know
If this is the first playoffs series you've watched in your life, then yes, it was a penalty.

Old
05-01-2008, 12:44 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
If this is the first playoffs series you've watched in your life, then yes, it was a penalty.
I hate excuses my friend...there is no way around, a penalty that killed the momentum, got scored on, lost the game, 3-1 PHI

Old
05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
I hate excuses my friend...there is no way around, a penalty that killed the momentum, got scored on, lost the game, 3-1 PHI

LOL, blaming Begin is an excuse for the loss, when other, more important things were bigger problems.

Old
05-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Did Bégin know it was 2-2? He left for the locker room after he blocked a shot when it was still 2-0.

That was not a penalty, less that 1 second after he touched the puck are you kidding me?

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp1122 View Post
There was EVERYTHING wrong with that hit. Yes, Begin is blood and guts, heart and soul but unfortunately, no brain. If you watch the replay he skates along the boards, VEERS AROUND another Flyer, then tries to put Kapanen through the open door. Stupid.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the call was interference

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote