HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins has got to bury his chances

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2008, 12:12 PM
  #126
CacaLauncher23
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Only thing Jean Perron ever said right:

"Higgins couldn't score in the ocean"

CacaLauncher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:17 PM
  #127
Domenic
Registered User
 
Domenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
Those stats are pretty irrelevant.
Much like Higgins in the playoffs.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:43 PM
  #128
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
It's so difficult having to explain to people how Higgins is 24 in only his second post-season.


Think about it for a second, why do I have to explain this?


I don't know why people blame and bash him for putting him in a position he's not ready yet.


Bla bla bla..... It's always the same excuses with Higgins, still young, second playoff in his career and bla bla.


The fact is, he's been a non factor this year and a Rookie like Sergei Kostitsyn has outplayed him in every area possible !!

Sergei Kostitsyn has dwarfed Higgins performance and the guy never played in the playoffs so what's you're excuse this time ?! Even guys like Kostopoulos and Smolinspuke has been better than him so far.

And don't tell me that this guy has leadership skills, because he showed none with his performances and his contraversial quotes through out the year.

If Higgins is that good, how come he can't do anything playing alonside the best 2 forwards on this team ?! I'm still waiting for that 40 goals scorer of yours...

Face it, his stone hands and his lack of offensive vision are what makes him a 3rd liner, plain and simple !!



Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:50 PM
  #129
iceman17
 
iceman17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

Face it, his stone hands and his lack of offensive vision are what makes him a 3rd liner, plain and simple !!

Higgins hasnt buried his chances in the playoffs...i'm not disagreeing...but that still doesnt answer the question of how many 3rd liners are there that score 27 goals?

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:52 PM
  #130
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman17 View Post
Higgins hasnt buried his chances in the playoffs...i'm not disagreeing...but that still doesnt answer the question of how many 3rd liners are there that score 27 goals?

Because there are no other better options.

And you said playoffs only ? It's been like that all year long. Ovechkin would've probably put around 75 if you switch him with Higgins place and giving all the scoring chances Higgins had.

A normal superstar instead of Higgins would've put around 80-90 points if he had all Higgins opportunities.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:55 PM
  #131
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn has dwarfed Higgins performance and the guy never played in the playoffs so what's you're excuse this time ?! Even guys like Kostopoulos and Smolinspuke has been better than him so far.
I know you are a Sergei Fanboy... but you do realize there is room for more than one winger on this team.... Sergei can't do everything himself.... We are gonna need other players in our top 6 too.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:46 PM
  #132
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
Those stats are pretty irrelevant.
o rly?

So what's your point? Isn't the fact that Kostopoulos got more points and has been more of an offensive threat revelant enough to say that Higgins is the biggest bust of these playoffs?

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM
  #133
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
I love Higgins and think he will be a 30 goal scorer on a yearly basis (had 27 this year and could have had many more...so not far fetched).

Having said that..I have been dissapointed by his playoffs not because he hasn't done much on the score sheet (even though that IS dissapointing) but because he hasn't done anything really...He never hits anybody, has won few if any battles for the puck and is not bringing a whole lot to his line right now. IMO, if you're not scoring, then do something else..hit...create turnovers..cause havoc..

He's just been invisible for the most part just like his last playoffs. I still believe he will be a great player though, but he has to be more consistent.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM
  #134
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
o rly?

So what's your point? Isn't the fact that Kostopoulos got more points and has been more of an offensive threat revelant enough to say that Higgins is the biggest bust of these playoffs?
Okay and what exactly does that have to do with my post? Nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Bla bla bla..... It's always the same excuses with Higgins, still young, second playoff in his career and bla bla.
Are you saying it's not a good excuse? Do I really have to list the number of players who took time to produce in the PO? Do I really need to show you how dumb you are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
The fact is, he's been a non factor this year and a Rookie like Sergei Kostitsyn has outplayed him in every area possible !!
I'd love a team of non factors who get 27 goals. And what does Kostitsyn have to do with anything, why are you bringing him up? Sergei's my favorite player, when did I ever said Higgins would or is better? Do you know that a rookie Crosby got 102 points at 18 years old. OMGz Sergei sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn has dwarfed Higgins performance and the guy never played in the playoffs so what's you're excuse this time ?! Even guys like Kostopoulos and Smolinspuke has been better than him so far.
A bunch of people had better playoffs than Datsyuk for years. OMGz Datsyuk sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
And don't tell me that this guy has leadership skills, because he showed none with his performances and his contraversial quotes through out the year.
Controversial? Maybe to someone with no brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
If Higgins is that good, how come he can't do anything playing alonside the best 2 forwards on this team ?! I'm still waiting for that 40 goals scorer of yours...
Dig through my posts and find 1 instance where I said I thought he was a 40 goal scorer. How about not inventing crap and reading what's posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Face it, his stone hands and his lack of offensive vision are what makes him a 3rd liner, plain and simple !!
Yeah, so?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:10 PM
  #135
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave* View Post
Within 3 years the guy will be potting 30-40 goals a season and 1st unit PK duty.

wow.... talk about the most overrated player in the Habs uniform I've seen in a long time...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
  #136
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
I think this thread was rolled around quite a few times

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:16 PM
  #137
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,966
vCash: 500
He is what he is.

Not many third liners get 50 points. If he consistently puts up 20-25 Goals and 50-55 points a season I'll be happy. He doesn't hurt the team when he's not scoring as much as, say, Ryder...he brings more to the game than just his offensive production.

Personally, I think he's a perfect two-way second line winger. Nothing wrong with that.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
  #138
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
wow.... talk about the most overrated player in the Habs uniform I've seen in a long time...
So that makes what, 4 months?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:18 PM
  #139
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman17 View Post
Higgins hasnt buried his chances in the playoffs...i'm not disagreeing...but that still doesnt answer the question of how many 3rd liners are there that score 27 goals?
Not many, but guess why? Because they play on third lines! Higgins leeched off of our PP and played top 6 for the most part.

What kind of a weak argument is that?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
  #140
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Not many, but guess why? Because they play on third lines! Higgins leeched off of our PP and played top 6 for the most part.

What kind of a weak argument is that?
I think your argument is a lot weaker to be honest.

Higgins goal and point totals have increased every year... he's only 24... he hasn't hit his peak yet... but you are ready to throw him on the third line.... He may not be an elite first line winger.... but he is what he is... a solid two way player who can chip in points and belongs in the top 6.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
  #141
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Because there are no other better options.

And you said playoffs only ? It's been like that all year long. Ovechkin would've probably put around 75 if you switch him with Higgins place and giving all the scoring chances Higgins had.

A normal superstar instead of Higgins would've put around 80-90 points if he had all Higgins opportunities.
So ig Higgins and AK get the same numbers, AK gets them thru talent and Higgins thru gratuitous providence ? Your staemnets regarding quotes are interseting, but unsupported. Higgins brings a lot of value to the table. Playing a game that should bring from 50 -65 points, with good wheels and able to play big minutes up a goal, is a value to any oorg. If hf goes nuts anytime a kid shows promise, and calls hgim a budding star, it has nothing to do with Higgins. Listen to McGuire's characterization of Higgins, a teremendous player at both ends who has never been a big scorer, so to expect 40 is silly. Higgins own staement about 40 being a goal, didn't help him much.

Yup, he should have taken the cowards way out and avoided the media after practices like many of his teammates did. Higgins realizes that being there when the questions are asked is how the org. relates to the public, and it's a role he was aske dto fill. I think he should step back from this a tad, but that's part of learning the role.

He's a good player. He isn't a great player. If that means you need to dump on him ad naseum, it's more your issue than his and typical of fans that need a scapegoat when teams don't live up to their own foolish expectations.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:29 PM
  #142
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,960
vCash: 500
taking in consideration the minutes he gets, powerplay time, best linemates, Higgins has been a non-factor this playoffs.

I don't really agree with the stone hands assesment (just yet), but at the same time he is soooooooo far from being a genuine top 2 line player.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:17 PM
  #143
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
taking in consideration the minutes he gets, powerplay time, best linemates, Higgins has been a non-factor this playoffs.

I don't really agree with the stone hands assesment (just yet), but at the same time he is soooooooo far from being a genuine top 2 line player.
He's in a funny position. Mtl's the most east west team in the league and Higgins plays north south, at least to be effective, he has to. When he's at his best, he's skating hard to open ice, creating seems, kind of like a soccer player opening field on a run.

I don't see how that style can mesh with Kovalev. I just don't see how it can work . You can get some short term success but not over the long haul. The younger wingers on the team favor the e/w style and are the current flavors of the month because it was a successful year doing it.

Higgins is probably ranked in the 25-35 range as a lw'er, that's easily good enough for any team's top 6. He has to adjust though, and there has to be recognition when something's wrong.

I also think he worked on a lot in th eoff season, mental approach, confidence, physical rehabilitation but didn't seem to adjust his game. Developmentally, though his numbers are around where they'll probably average, he has regressed overall.

Remeber G4 against Boston ? The 1-0 game ? He was everywhere during the last 10 minutes, won key battles in his own end. Got the puck out reatedly down the stretch, did all the things your key players have to do to win. That's Higgins at his best. I don'tr know if he was on the scoresheet that night, I think he was one of the guys in fropnt of the net when Brisebois scored, but his signature was all over the win. That's the type of game they need from him consistently. Getting goal 5 in a 6-1 win are always fun for the crowd, but I want the guy who gets the puck out with 2 minutes left.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:22 PM
  #144
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
He's in a funny position. Mtl's the most east west team in the league and Higgins plays north south, at least to be effective, he has to. When he's at his best, he's skating hard to open ice, creating seems, kind of like a soccer player opening field on a run.

I don't see how that style can mesh with Kovalev. I just don't see how it can work . You can get some short term success but not over the long haul. The younger wingers on the team favor the e/w style and are the current flavors of the month because it was a successful year doing it.

Higgins is probably ranked in the 25-35 range as a lw'er, that's easily good enough for any team's top 6. He has to adjust though, and there has to be recognition when something's wrong.

I also think he worked on a lot in th eoff season, mental approach, confidence, physical rehabilitation but didn't seem to adjust his game. Developmentally, though his numbers are around where they'll probably average, he has regressed overall.

Remeber G4 against Boston ? The 1-0 game ? He was everywhere during the last 10 minutes, won key battles in his own end. Got the puck out reatedly down the stretch, did all the things your key players have to do to win. That's Higgins at his best. I don'tr know if he was on the scoresheet that night, I think he was one of the guys in fropnt of the net when Brisebois scored, but his signature was all over the win. That's the type of game they need from him consistently. Getting goal 5 in a 6-1 win are always fun for the crowd, but I want the guy who gets the puck out with 2 minutes left.
I want to see that Higgins in game 5

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:27 PM
  #145
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Because there are no other better options.
yeah of course, Kovalev, Kost x2, Lats, no potions you say...


he scored 27 goals because he can score that's it

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:34 PM
  #146
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
I want to see that Higgins in game 5
Gainey's dfirst year, he played alongside Lemaire and Cournoyer for the most part. They didn't have a pure checking line. So what they had was a hard skating rookie who would go up and down, finsih every check, but didn't have the creativity to move the puck to his linemates or the experience to read their plays. He scored 8-10 goals, maybe 25 points. hf would've slaughtered Bowman for this stone handed plug going up and down, wasting his 2 linemates.

Higgins, imo, is a wasted asset with Kovy, he has no opportunity to speed thru the neutral zone.

I forget the thread, it was about the game 60 point, I knew something was missing in Higgins game and I couldn't define it. Mike 8 had an excellent post, criticizing Higgins play away from the puck. I appreciatred the post because it verbalized what I was seeing but wasn't defining. Oddly, Higgins game changed around that point and he finished the year strongly.

I believe that if they tinker a bit, they'll get more out of him. Put guys in position to succeed. Unless of course, they really don't want to re-unite Plekanec/Kovalev.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.