HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Grit? Who has it?

Old
05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Magic33

vCash: 500
Grit? Who has it?

I agree with many posts that the Habs are lacking in the Grit/willing to pay the price department.

Who do you think in the NHL has this grit/pay the price mentality, and which of them would be a possibility for the habs to sign next year?

Also, would you give up anyone on our current roster to obtain someone with grit?

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:43 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I agree with many posts that the Habs are lacking in the Grit/willing to pay the price department.

Who do you think in the NHL has this grit/pay the price mentality, and which of them would be a possibility for the habs to sign next year?

Also, would you give up anyone on our current roster to obtain someone with grit?
O'Byrne and Latendresse will both need to learn to use their bodies more. Also, we will have some players like Valentenko and Subban who both doesn't look like guys who would back off from a physical contest.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
O'Byrne and Latendresse will both need to learn to use their bodies more. Also, we will have some players like Valentenko and Subban who both doesn't look like guys who would back off from a physical contest.
Latendresse uses his a lot, he just needs more ice time. He needs to play with guys that carry the puck like Holmstrom in Detroit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
anarmandaleb

You know who I want on this team but will never happen?
Malkin. Not Ovie, not Crosby, not Lucic. Malkin.
Why? Cause he's awesome and has grit. He really does. But it's more of a wishful thinking kind of choice. Realistically, I don't know.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Moon Man*

Moon Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

More Canadiens. /thread

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 01:23 PM
tinyzombies

Flyers have more GRIT plain and simple

We cannot win one-on-one battles for our lives. Biron is playing great and getting bounces, but we're not on the doorstep anyway (unless it's Koivu on one foot or the 4th line). We need a major overhaul imo, much like the Penguins did. We need to get much grittier, but maintain our skill somehow.

There's no sense gearing our lineup for a grit game beacuse we don't have those horses. Have to stick with the skill and hope something goes in.

All that said, I think we'll win Saturday. This ain't over!

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Philly.

I mentioned before Montreal has too much skill, and not enough grit.

It's a great regular season formula, but doesn't translate into the more grueling playoffs as well. With your skill players up front however, you should be able to move some of them in the offseason and get bigger in your top 6.

Lats just doesn't seem to have it, and outside of him you don't really have any offensive power forwards do you? I know there's MP in the pipeline, but how far away is he, and what kind of upside are you looking at?

My question; is that Montreal's style? As far back as I can remember they've mostly been about the speed and skill game. Can anyone honestly see them move out skill and speed for skill and grit?

Kaoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 01:39 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Philly.

It's a great regular season formula, but doesn't translate into the more grueling playoffs as well. With your skill players up front however, you should be able to move some of them in the offseason and get bigger in your top 6.

Lats just doesn't seem to have it, and outside of him you don't really have any offensive power forwards do you?

My question; is that Montreal's style? As far back as I can remember they've mostly been about the speed and skill game. Can anyone honestly see them move out skill and speed for skill and grit?
Or a healthy mix?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 01:44 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Philly.

Lats just doesn't seem to have it, and outside of him you don't really have any offensive power forwards do you? I know there's MP in the pipeline, but how far away is he, and what kind of upside are you looking at?

How about skill and grit? The Flyers grit guys can also play hockey and they can all skate. That team was built for the playoffs from scratch. They'll be even better next year when they fix their D a bit and maybe get Gagne back.

Koivu is our only grit guy with skill up front imo. Tender is still blossoming. Pacioretty and Chipper are badly needed, hopefully they develop quickly.

Old
05-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
How about skill and grit? The Flyers grit guys can also play hockey and they can all skate. That team was built for the playoffs from scratch. They'll be even better next year when they fix their D a bit and maybe get Gagne back.
Gagne has some serious injury issues. I'd be surprised if he could maintain a full healthy season at this point.

Old
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Gagne has some serious injury issues. I'd be surprised if he could maintain a full healthy season at this point.
Either way, they'll get his salary off the books if that's the case and be able to go sign someone.

Old
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
LeMAD

It's not about grit, but hard work, win your one on one battles and being able to take a hit to make a play. But let's not forget we have the youngest team in the playoffs. Still, too many players are non-factor because they get intimidated physically.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 01:48 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
It's not about grit, but hard work, win your one on one battles and being able to take a hit to make a play. But let's not forget we have the youngest team in the playoffs. Still, too many players are non-factor because they get intimidated physically.
Hard work alone doesn't win one on one battles. You can battle as hard as you want, but that doesn't mean you're going to get the puck. I agree that it's a learning experience for some guys and their bodies are still developing. We also can't give away all our skill. I'd at least like to see three more grit guys with skill up front though and a legit 4th Dman. And a scorer if one of these guys doesn't break out.

Old
05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
You know who I want on this team but will never happen?
Malkin. Not Ovie, not Crosby, not Lucic. Malkin.
Why? Cause he's awesome and has grit. He really does. But it's more of a wishful thinking kind of choice. Realistically, I don't know.
Great choice. And I agree, Malikn is a great player, a quiet leader and he plays with grit and determination. He'll play through the holding, clutching, grabbing and hacking, still make great plays on the net.

Another guy I would love to see in Montral is Ryan Getzlaff -- Habs had a chance to draft him and didn't. Doubt he will ever end up in Montreal!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I agree with most of your statements in this post, but, I do think (for the most part) that Hab's players are working hard. The problem (at least to me) is that they are more effective playing a finnesse game and just not very effective playing a physical game!

The '07 Cup Finals showed that great skill (Sens) and great effort will not be enough to (ultimately) win in the playoffs if your team is "physically" out played!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
KenAF

Malkin would be great to have (for any team), but I don't think he is the answer. Malkin is tough along the boards, and he will crash the net to knock in rebounds, but you can count on one hand the number of times he has has camped in front of the net to screen the goalie or deflect a shot.

Montreal needs a wing with a scoring touch that is physical enough to fight for position in front of net with players like Hatcher. He can't be afraid to loose a few teeth or take a few shots off his legs or body. He should also be a decent passer so he fits in with the rest of Montreal's game. Get such a player and then clone him for the first and second lines.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
transitguy

We have some grit and players sitting in the stands that will go for the net. Ryder, Stewart and Chipchura. But, but who would you sit to get them in? Maybe the useless trio of Lapierre, Latendresse and Streit.

transitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy View Post
We have some grit and players sitting in the stands that will go for the net. Ryder, Stewart and Chipchura. But, but who would you sit to get them in? Maybe the useless trio of Lapierre, Latendresse and Streit.
Would they be the difference? I mean really, it's skill and speed that got you guys this far. Do you abandon that plan right now and take an approach you really aren't geared for?

Lapierre is a guy who consistently gets under the other teams skin, he's the Habs pest and is good at what he does. As a Bruins fan I wanted to see him dead every night, which means he was doing what he was supposed to.

I think the biggest issue for Montreal was running directly into the Flyers right after a hard fought series with the Bruins. You couldn't have run into two teams geared better to wear opponents down. Had you of met Pittsburgh in the second round, or someone else in the first it likely wouldn't have been a big issue.

Old
05-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Fido22

We are a young team. For many of our new core, this is their first meaningful nhl playoffs. I'm far for having given up on Pleks (heck of a game last night), the Kostys, Higgins, etc. as gritty playoff types. They have heart. They will learn.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
We are a young team. For many of our new core, this is their first meaningful nhl playoffs. I'm far for having given up on Pleks (heck of a game last night), the Kostys, Higgins, etc. as gritty playoff types. They have heart. They will learn.
Higgins yes, I think he's already there. Kids all grit and sandpaper, he just has the young issue of finishing but that will come.

Plekanec and the Kostitsyns though, they're a ways off the gritty mark don't you think? Will they ever have that capability?

Old
05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Plekanec and the Kostitsyns though, they're a ways off the gritty mark don't you think? Will they ever have that capability?
The only one I have doubts about in that department is AK. Pleks, I already see coming around. SK always plays with drive (not his best series though). AK, we shall see in this regard.

Old
05-01-2008, 02:46 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
The only one I have doubts about in that department is AK. Pleks, I already see coming around. SK always plays with drive (not his best series though). AK, we shall see in this regard.
AK is a question mark that's for sure, a player with his strength and size shouldn't be shy to play a physical game or go in the corners...but he gets hit and he plays shy and does things out of character.

That needs to change if he wants to be a top notch forward in this league.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Perhaps we have different meanings of the word grit. I don't classify a guy like Kessel as being gritty, even though he proved he can be clutch, and will take the body. Going into the corners should be a forgone conclusion I think, and shouldn';t translate to being a gritty player. Even small guys need to go in and get their nose dirty and try to win battles for the puck, even if its as the third man on the outside digging.

I find the guys you mentioned above, aside from Higgins are more finesse skill players? Maybe I'm unaware of that aspect of their game?

Old
05-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Perhaps we have different meanings of the word grit. I don't classify a guy like Kessel as being gritty, even though he proved he can be clutch, and will take the body.

I find the guys you mentioned above, aside from Higgins are more finesse skill players? Maybe I'm unaware of that aspect of their game?
I'm thinking of willingness/ability to pay the price. Not in the sense that they will become grinders. Generally, that they will adapt to play the more physical, less space game the playoffs require.