HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I Crazy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2008, 04:32 AM
  #26
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,453
vCash: 500
This is what used to happen with the Sens and Leafs. We would massively outplay them, but they would capitalize on the few chances they had.

Of course, no one believed us. You come to realize that it isnt just about dominating, it is about finishing. The team that scores more deserves to win each and every time.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:45 AM
  #27
suprez
Registered User
 
suprez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Think about how the player feel?What's happenning? etc ..
When the flyers scored their first goal ... Pierre houde Said at RDS

*THe Flyers probably pinch them right now , What the hell is hapenning*

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:24 AM
  #28
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I don't think the Habs had any chance sweeping the series playing like ****. With the exception of the trustworthy Koivu, who is showing up like a warrior, most skilled players have played crappy hockey. It takes work ethic and talent to win the Stanley Cup. Against Boston, a team that is less talented than Montreal, the Habs got by without showing much work ethic.

Against Philly, a much more talented team, this will not work.

The Habs are losing because the Flyers aren't trying to crush them physically. Their skilled forwards (and they have many, many of those) are content to just generate offense and make good on opportunities. The rest of the time, they play cat-and-mouse with a Habs team that seems to lack focus and heart.
Between this post, and this one:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=112 (Key line: "The Canadiens are a fast, weak team that takes quick, sissy shots from the outside.")

We've got the series summed up. Philly is content to let the Habs outskate them around the perimeter and take the outside shots, because Montreal is not following up. Too many forwards are content to stay to the outside and go, "Oh noes, Biron stopped another one" instead of crashing into the middle like a warrior and ramming home rebound goals. As long as the Flyers take advantage of their chances, like a late third-period power play, and the Canadiens piss theirs away, like a full two-minute 5-on-3 in game 3, it's a winning formula for the Flyers.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:56 AM
  #29
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
First of all, it's amusing to see that the vibe around here is much similar to the vibe in Boston when they struggled against Montreal. There was all this bitter talk on their board about how they should have won this game and that game.

I don't think the Habs had any chance sweeping the series playing like ****. With the exception of the trustworthy Koivu, who is showing up like a warrior, most skilled players have played crappy hockey. It takes work ethic and talent to win the Stanley Cup. Against Boston, a team that is less talented than Montreal, the Habs got by without showing much work ethic.

Against Philly, a much more talented team, this will not work.

Regarding the 1st game, I think you are mistaken. Philly were obviously exhausted from playing their 3rd game in four days (I watched the last game against Washington, it was an all-out physical war) and Montreal didn't even capitalize much. I knew instantly the Habs would be in trouble if they didn't raise the bar.

They haven't.

And each game, the physical exhaustion that Philly had, the edge that the Habs possessed at the start of the series, is disappearing.

The formula for the Habs to win this series is pretty simple: If the skilled Habs work hard on a shift, outskate Philly and force them to commit, the Flyers will have to revert to a physical style. And Montreal responds well to teams that try to intimidate them.

But right now, all the Flyers have to do is to concentrate on trapping and quick counter-attacks. They're not forced to revert to neanderthalism and dumb plays.

The Habs are losing because the Flyers aren't trying to crush them physically. Their skilled forwards (and they have many, many of those) are content to just generate offense and make good on opportunities. The rest of the time, they play cat-and-mouse with a Habs team that seems to lack focus and heart.
I have to disagree Vlad. We've controlled the play and in the last 9 periods and you can make the claim that we contolled 8 of them completely. We've hit more posts in this series than we have all season it seems. We've had our opportunities but haven't capitalized on them. That is the problem. There is no finish. I can't believe how many empty nets we've completely missed and that has nothing to do with heart or focus. You need heart and focus to create those opportunities in the first place. We've outshot them and dominated in puck possession. If they weren't working hard and dominating the play I'd agree with you but they are so I have to think that the goals will come.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:51 AM
  #30
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,595
vCash: 500
We haven't dominated anyone in the playoffs - not even the Bruins. The Habs are playing a perimeter game. They're constantly on the outside. They sure look good skating into and out of the corners and the circles but other than that they're playing a stupid game. Biron can be had if we had more players who would be willing to pay the price and park themselves in the slot. there are 10-15 dangerous rebounds that he lets out every game but there's no one around to take advantage of it.


Which brings me to Latendresse. I thought we drafted this kid for this reason. He had size and he had the hands. But the last two games he has been invisible and completely lost. He can't keep up with speed of the game and has not once placed himself in front of the net. i don't want to pick on the kid but when we have Koivu and S Kostitsyn trying to battle it out and then we have this over-sized teddy bear going for some figure skating lessons, when that happens I think management needs a reality check.

What have they taught this kid the last two years? Just float around. And don't give me that crap that he's only 20 years old. S. Kostitsyn is only 20 and half the size but has displayed more grit and heart than this powder puff. I would sit him and some other floater - maybe Streit and dress Ryder and Stewart. They can't be any worse than Tenderness on Skates.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
  #31
Nielson81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Habs have outshot them 142 to 96....ya the Flyers should have the lead hahaha...they don't deserve to be in this series let alone having a 3-1 lead

Nielson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:11 AM
  #32
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielson81 View Post
Habs have outshot them 142 to 96....ya the Flyers should have the lead hahaha...they don't deserve to be in this series let alone having a 3-1 lead
Most of those shots were from the corners or the point where Biron had a clear view. I'd say 10-15% of those shots were in anyway dangerous. That works out to 20-25 shots in four games. The Flyers are playing smart hockey.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:27 AM
  #33
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
The Flyers deserve to be where they are. They are working hard, they get stellar goaltending and they take advantage of their opportunities. Nothing wrong with that. However, Flyers better win the next game in Montreal because all the Habs need is a win to get them rolling again. When you have the edge in every category in a game and you cant win, all you need is a little break and after that things can turn around in a heartbeat.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
  #34
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
Great goaltending is part of the hockey equation, so while you're not crazy, you disregard one important part of the game entirely. If it weren't for goaltending, we'd probably have like 12 Stanley Cups instead of 24.

The Flyers are just delusional to think they should have swept us, we won that first game fair and square and they keep seeing conspiracies against them everywhere. Just you, watch, if they win the series, they'll say they beat us and the refs the idiots.

If Biron had been plying great, I could live with it...but most great scoring chances end up with a shot in his crest or off the post. The Begin shot last night short handed was a nice save, but if Begin roofs it, it's a sure goal.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:36 AM
  #35
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Yes, you are. The Flyers do deserve this series. We stole the game with the help of the officials in Game 1, and it gave me no confidence whatsoever.

A garbage goal scored from the circle is worth much more than all the pretty passing plays with a shot stopped by a tender.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:43 AM
  #36
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
We ARE the better team, just check that fact in the final standings of this last season. We have the home ice advantage wich basically means you couldnt play better than us during a whole season.

All you have better than us is a very lucky Martin Biron in nets who is on a streak that could blow up in his face any minute.

Lead yourself to believe THAT, since it is the cold hard facts.
if you want to talk cold hard facts, why are we talking about luck? there is no factual evidence that says that luck even exists. it's just an abstract concept of probability.

you can say that the flyers have been outplayed all series, because they have been. but saying they don't deserve to be in this series is ridiculous. the scorelines say otherwise.


Last edited by LEIFey: 05-01-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Ooops, grammar.
LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
  #37
CacaLauncher23
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Honestly, am I crazy to believe that after winning game 1, we should've swept this series? Am I crazy to believe that we've completely dominated this team, and that they're had incredible amounts of luck, great goaltending and the ability to capitalize on the 7 or 8 mistakes that we've made this series?

I'm sick of talking to Flyers fans who believe that THEY should've swept this thing! Are they really THAT delusional? Or is it me?
"Dominating" by throwing a lot of pucks at the goalies chest isn't dominating.

Flyers are opportunists, Habs aren't. They were during regular season, now they're choking.

Face the facts, Flyers lead 3-1. So yes, you're crazy.

CacaLauncher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
  #38
CacaLauncher23
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
We ARE the better team, just check that fact in the final standings of this last season. We have the home ice advantage wich basically means you couldnt play better than us during a whole season.

All you have better than us is a very lucky Martin Biron in nets who is on a streak that could blow up in his face any minute.

Lead yourself to believe THAT, since it is the cold hard facts.
The Ducks had the better team in my opinion. Now they're golfing. San Jose is about to hit the golf course as well.

The cold hard facts is that the habs are losing and that the flyers are finding ways to win.

Stop being in denial and give credits where its due. The Flyers somehow manage to win even if they are ridiculously outshot.

CacaLauncher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
  #39
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Habs have outshot them 142 to 96....ya the Flyers should have the lead hahaha...they don't deserve to be in this series let alone having a 3-1 lead
The Habs have had the lead in the series for 0 minutes in regulation. I'll agree, they dominated game 3, and the early part of game 4. But last night, from midway through the sencond, until the 2 goals 30 some seconds apart, I think the habs had 1 shot (maybe 2).

I'm not dumb, and realize the series is far from over, but IF the flyers win, it will be becasue they earned it.

And saying Biron hasn't been brilliant in goal? Wow.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
  #40
Rock On
Registered User
 
Rock On's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Saint-Jean
Country: Canada
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
No you're not...

It pisses me off how lucky they've been. Here's the shots stats

Flyers : 13 goals 95 shots 1 post (and a goal rights after: Montreal goaltenders save % : .863
Mtl : 10 goals 147 shots 5 posts : Biron save % : .931

We clearly outplayed them. Biron is very lucky in this round. He's good but not that good. If only 2 of the posts have gone in, his save % would be .918 wich is normal for a goalie in playoffs.

So here's why it's 3-1 for Flyers and not 3-1 for Montreal :

1- Poor goaltending for Montreal
2- Outstanding chances missed by Mtl players during all the round
3- Flyers forwards who have scored on almost every chances they got. (and 3/game is not a very good average)
4- Poor reffering even though I don't think Flyers fans are happy with it too

I still can't believe the three last games but I still have hopes for next game at Bell Center and just like it is written in bold on the poste in Fox Mulder's office , I Want To Believe.

Go Habs Go

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:07 AM
  #41
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
More Stats:
Time in the lead this series
158:30 - Flyers
000:00 - Canadiens

I'll leave your board now.
Actually there is no need.
Your facts are the truth.
The Habs can't win a game if they can't get a lead.
Habs have been playing catch up all series long.
Unless they wake up and play with more heart this series is done.
It would be nice if Price can play at his level also.
And Halak? He played well enough to give us a chance to win, unfortunately the rest of the team failed him.
Actually, forget the goalies, we need the offense to score first and it would be nice if we can get a goal in the first period...yeah yeah, we have done that but only once in this series.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 01:45 PM
  #42
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Flyers getting more bounces than we are

Flyers just getting the bounces than we are. Sorry, I don't think I am bias but that is the way I see it.

Think this team is a hell of a team. With the youth we have to play like that. Young, talented goaltending, our defense will be the best in the game in a couple of years. With the speed and balance we have up front. We have a stacked farm system and tons of caproom for next season. I think we are on to something here.

Let's not kidding ourselves here Philly is a good team. There is a reason why Pitt threw the last game of season so they would not have to face them in first round.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:04 PM
  #43
Saint Martin
 
Saint Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
I still think the Habs win the series. The Flyers will stop getting their breaks. I think you guys come out and win 5-2 on Saturday, and then all the momentum is in your corner. Beating the Pens will be a different story.

Saint Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:14 PM
  #44
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Unfortunatley controlling the play means nothing if we cant finish.

The PP has to Kovy AK46 and Pleks, thats what it was ALL year long!!!
EXACTLY! I don't know why Carbo changed that line. It was bad against the Bruins for 5 games, what made him think it'll be bad against the Flyers as well.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:35 PM
  #45
TomPlex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
I think a lot of you give the Flyers TOO much credit. You complain about the lack of finish and heart and whatever, but do you really think our players aren't cringing every time they see a puck slide through the crease? I think that argument is BS. I think we're trying to score just as hard as the Flyers, if not more. Yes, we're not crashing the net as much as we should be, but we shouldn't have to, because that's not our game, and we never did it during the regular season.

Of course, things change during the playoffs, and you could argue that we should be changing our strategies, but the bottom line is that we're still able to create dazzling plays! True many of our plays have been along the perimeter, but many of you are forgetting the shots we've had up close. Pleks, Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Latendresse, Kostopolous... I wish I had video of all the chances we've had from right in front of Biron.

The bottom line is that Biron has been VERY HOT over the past 4 games. I'm not saying that he's playing super-well, I'm saying that he's been hot. There's a difference. A hot goalie has every puck come right to him, and no matter what he seems to do, he's always in good positioning. Whether it's a post, or a puck that slides through the crease right under his pads or a puck that goes right into his glove, he's always been there.

I don't think it's fair to say that the Flyers have "worked hard" for these wins. It's complete BS. Because had our luck gone the other way, we would've had 3-0 leads in most of the games, and the Flyers wouldn't have had enough to get a single goal. They have not impressed me ONCE this entire series. I think I can recall a max of 3 impressive plays that they've made. All the rest of their goals have been BS goals from the perimeter as well, most of them went in because our goalie was SCREENED FROM A DISTANCE.

I can't see how anyone can justify the Flyers deserving this series based on their play. Don't give me that BS of them being comfortable with us being in their zone passing around them like they're not even on the ice and just waiting for Biron to make a save. Teams DO NOT play with that mentality. They know they've been outplayed in 3 straight games, how can you say that they deserve this series?

IMO, that's the only tell. If you're being outplayed for 3 straight games, you don't deserve to win. Sure, you're getting the right bounces, luck and you have an extremely hot goalie going up against a so-so goalie, but you sure as hell haven't done anything in particular to win those games.

Things like bounces, hot goalie and facing a mediocre goalie don't add up to deserving the damn series.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
  #46
Dicky113
Registered User
 
Dicky113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 500
Exactly the same thing that happened in the Bruins Habs series. Habs were outplayed, Boston should have won in 6, instead lost in 7. Eventually things even themselves out. Both teams died because they couldn't finish their chances.

Dicky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:44 PM
  #47
TomPlex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky113 View Post
Exactly the same thing that happened in the Bruins Habs series. Habs were outplayed, Boston should have won in 6, instead lost in 7. Eventually things even themselves out. Both teams died because they couldn't finish their chances.
Very similar, although very different. The Bruins weren't controlling the puck in our zone like we're controlling the puck in theirs. It's COMPLETE domination, whereas I'd say that the Bruins had about 70-75% domination. (Can you measure domination? )

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
  #48
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky113 View Post
Exactly the same thing that happened in the Bruins Habs series. Habs were outplayed, Boston should have won in 6, instead lost in 7. Eventually things even themselves out. Both teams died because they couldn't finish their chances.
The Bruins were NOT outplaying Montreal to near the same degree Montreal is outplaying Philly..... NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:50 PM
  #49
OrangeMan
Registered User
 
OrangeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
I can't see how anyone can justify the Flyers deserving this series based on their play.
maybe because the Flyers are up 3-1 and the Habs have never had a lead in any game...

OrangeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:50 PM
  #50
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky113 View Post
Exactly the same thing that happened in the Bruins Habs series. Habs were outplayed, Boston should have won in 6, instead lost in 7. Eventually things even themselves out. Both teams died because they couldn't finish their chances.
Really? Which games out of that 7 game series did the Bruins dominate, carry the play, and limit the Habs to so few scoring chances?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.