HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Am I Crazy?

Old
05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Dicky113

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The Bruins were NOT outplaying Montreal to near the same degree Montreal is outplaying Philly..... NOT EVEN CLOSE.
Perhaps not from a Habs perspective, but from a Bruins perspective we were. It is perhaps something that is hard to judge when it is your team that is not getting the breaks. I have been watching this Habs Flyers series from an objective view (I have distain for both teams in equal measure) and don't think it has been that one sided (although I admit it could easily be 2-2 instead of 3-1). The Flyers have had by FAR the better goaltending which is huge in a playoff series and the Habs have been unable to bury their chances, just as Boston were unable to bury theirs.

Dicky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Dicky113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Really? Which games out of that 7 game series did the Bruins dominate, carry the play, and limit the Habs to so few scoring chances?
2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

Dicky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky113 View Post
2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
2 nope..... pretty even, infact most analysts said the habs had more scoring chances overall
3 nope.... We easily could've had 3 OT goals before Savard scored
4 I would call even, maybe a slight edge to boston, but not huge
5 habs controlled the first... 2nd even.... bruins third.... Third was more dominant then first... edge Boston
6 pretty even.... great game that could've gone either way.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:42 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMan View Post
maybe because the Flyers are up 3-1 and the Habs have never had a lead in any game...
Agreed. I will be the first to say that Habs have played pretty well, but just getting offensive pressure doesn't mean anything unless you actually score goals. I understand that you would expect better from what your team had done, but I don't know how you can really say the Flyers don't deserve to be up 3-1 when so far the Candiens have played with the lead for zero minuets and zero seconds in the first four games of this series. Just because the way the Flyers are getting is done isn't pretty doesn't mean they don't deserve it.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Agreed. I will be the first to say that Habs have played pretty well, but just getting offensive pressure doesn't mean anything unless you actually score goals. I understand that you would expect better from what your team had done, but I don't know how you can really say the Flyers don't deserve to be up 3-1 when so far the Candiens have played with the lead for zero minuets and zero seconds in the first four games of this series. Just because the way the Flyers are getting is done isn't pretty doesn't mean they don't deserve it.
G-O-A-L-P-O-S-T

Thats not called preventing all the good scoring chances as you guys claim... if it was true we wouldn't have 7 posts in 4 games.... its a game of inches, and luck... and I believe your luck is about to run out.

Old
05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
Quote:
G-O-A-L-P-O-S-T

Thats not called preventing all the good scoring chances as you guys claim... if it was true we wouldn't have 7 posts in 4 games.... its a game of inches, and luck... and I believe your luck is about to run out.
Everyone hits goal posts, doesn't mean you don't deserve to win a game. Those kind of things generally even them selves of a game, a series, and a season. It just gets magnified when your team loses a game. There are scoring chances the Flyers haven't cashed in on, but their winning so I really don't need to harp on them. If they lost I would, of course be pissed about it. I don't blame you guys for feeling like your team should win, or that they will win the series. I mean your fans of course you have to believe, just like as a Flyers fan up 3-1 or if they were down 1-3 I would still believe they are going to win. I just don't think that it's fair to say the play has been as lopsided in the Canadiens favor as some on here claim when they have yet to play with the lead in this series. That is a much worse stat than the Flyers getting out shot 142 to 96.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock On View Post

It pisses me off how lucky they've been. Here's the shots stats
Are you actually saying:

Flyers win = luck.
Canadiens win = skill (no luck at all)? wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock On View Post
We clearly outplayed them. Biron is very lucky in this round. He's good but not that good. If only 2 of the posts have gone in, his save % would be .918 wich is normal for a goalie in playoffs.
?? "clearly outplayed them" with never having the lead in regulation over 4 games?

How would it be "normal" for Montreal to be leading or even win this series with a goaltending save percentage that is well below normal?

Biron is "very lucky?" He's given up a few goals that I would classify as lucky for Montreal, yet he's still managed to win. Wait till he gets hot.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Foo Faa

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Everyone hits goal posts, doesn't mean you don't deserve to win a game. Those kind of things generally even them selves of a game, a series, and a season. It just gets magnified when your team loses a game. There are scoring chances the Flyers haven't cashed in on, but their winning so I really don't need to harp on them. If they lost I would, of course be pissed about it. I don't blame you guys for feeling like your team should win, or that they will win the series. I mean your fans of course you have to believe, just like as a Flyers fan up 3-1 or if they were down 1-3 I would still believe they are going to win. I just don't think that it's fair to say the play has been as lopsided in the Canadiens favor as some on here claim when they have yet to play with the lead in this series. That is a much worse stat than the Flyers getting out shot 142 to 96.
Flyers hit a post and we scored on the rebound last night.

Foo Faa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Beakermania*

What are the puck possession stats and the time spent in each team's end....

If you don't see that it is mostly in Philly's end... then I question what games you are watching....

The outplaying is clear... they haven't gotten any breaks to get a lead, but that stat doesn't mean as much as the time spent in control of the puck and threatening the philly goal.

Old
05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo fighters View Post
Flyers hit a post and we scored on the rebound last night.
Exactly, and when that happens to us... the puck doesn't bounce right on one of our sticks.... you guys are getting some bounces and breaks right now.... if those change, it can be a new series very quickly.

Old
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
TomPlex

I love how people try to claim that the Flyers deserve this series because they've scored more goals. What happens is all of those goals were handed to them on a silver platter? I'd like to see the # of scoring chances for both teams. I'd bet it's about 20-25 for the Flyers and 65-70 for the Habs.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
Quote:
The Bruins were NOT outplaying Montreal to near the same degree Montreal is outplaying Philly..... NOT EVEN CLOSE.
I agree, that's why it's so frustating. Everybody was happy we dodged Lundqvist, looks like we were wrong he's giving a lot of goals on very few shots vs the Pens.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:23 PM
samistheman

wow montreal has outplayed philly but will some one please give some respect to the defensive schemes by the flyers... the flyers play a defensive style where you can take all the outside shots you want but they eliminate rebounds and marty has been spectacular... amazing that he still gets no credit... has he been lucky... yes... but he has also made some spectacular saves... doesn't anyone think that the flyers might have something to do with montreal being "unlucky". oh yeah... and the flyers forwards are clearly better than montreal's...7 20+ goal scorers are hard to contain... give them a little credit. sheesh!!

samistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by samistheman View Post
wow montreal has outplayed philly but will some one please give some respect to the defensive schemes by the flyers... the flyers play a defensive style where you can take all the outside shots you want but they eliminate rebounds and marty has been spectacular... amazing that he still gets no credit... has he been lucky... yes... but he has also made some spectacular saves... doesn't anyone think that the flyers might have something to do with montreal being "unlucky". oh yeah... and the flyers forwards are clearly better than montreal's...7 20+ goal scorers are hard to contain... give them a little credit. sheesh!!
You realize we have 7 50+ point getters right??

Old
05-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Playoffs are all about special teams and goaltending, so no, the Habs haven't outplayed the Flyers. If you look at the new NHL, the teams trailing are always the one pressing the most and the Habs haven't had a lead in the series yet.

I still think the Habs can come back though, they just need a few bounces.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
samistheman

Quote:
You realize we have 7 50+ point getters right??
missed my point i guess... my point is the montreal is not playing a slop team... 7 20+ goal scorers is pretty impressive so give them a little credit..

samistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky113 View Post
2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
The Bruins dominated those games? Please elaborate because I recall tones of Habs chances during those games.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by samistheman View Post
Why is it so important for Philly fans that Habs fans, which a lot openly say they hate, to give their opponent credit and not defend their team.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosti46 View Post
Lets give credit where credit is truely due. Biron has not made many great or spectacular saves at all. Habs have hit many posts and shot many shots right at Biron. He has not played that great at all. Any good goalie could do what he has done.

He has been solid but the best player in the playoffs? You must be smoking good weed to think such untrue thoughts. Get real and learn what a great goalie does.

Then look at Biron. He has been above average and thats it. You Philly fans are about to run out of lucky charms.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:19 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
I'll leave this, quite respectfully.

This is the way the Flyers have managed to win games ALL season. They are NOT a puck control team. It irks a lot of us, we have the talent and personnel to play more of a puck possession game, but our coach doesn't seem to emphasize it. Our coach is very content all season with allowing a lot of puck possession by the other team in the less dangerous areas of the defensive zone. He also likes to live off the rush and doesn't emphasize much of a cycle game in the offensive zone. Most of us don't like this aspect of our team, but still even those who feel that way (Flyers fans), and i think Habs fans needs to give credit to the things that they do do well, when on top of their game.

The habs are playing well, but hockey is a lot more involved than who skates around the outside of the rink the most with the puck, and flicks weak wrist shots at the net. I think its obvious the Habs shot totals are a bit inflated by the willingness to simply flick the puck at the net and get a face off. They spend very little time actually going to the net and would rather pass it around the outside and fire it towards the net. That's fine, but i don't think thats going to beat Biron in this series, especially with the way our D has cleared the lanes for him to see those pucks easily. If you guys want to get back into this series, you need to show passion driving the net and pick up those ugly goals. The current strategy clearly isn't working to beat Biron

Anyway, i understand your frustrations, and of course randomness plays into everything to some degree... but i don't think it's fair to chalk up all of this to luck.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 05:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
I'm sick of talking to Flyers fans who believe that THEY should've swept this thing! Are they really THAT delusional? Or is it me?
I'll answer this.

The Flyers feel like they blew Game 1. Refs, breaks, bounces, this, that and the other thing. Bottom line is that the Flyers blew a 2-goal lead, they had a 3-2 lead with 30 seconds left. Any team regardless of the situation, should win when you have a 3-2 lead with 30 seconds left. That's why we think it should have been a sweep, the same reason why the Capitals series should have been a sweep.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:05 PM
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
I'm sick of talking to Flyers fans who believe that THEY should've swept this thing! Are they really THAT delusional? Or is it me?
it is you.

the Flyers had a 3-2 lead with less than a minute left in game 1. they get a penalty, Habs pull their goalie.. giving them a 2 man advantage. then Carter breaks his stick on a defensive zone faceoff making it a 3 man advantage.. so yes, i can see how Flyers fans would say they should've swept the series. they completely blew that first game. it was more them losing it than the Habs winning it. if Richards doesn't take that penalty or Carter doesn't break his stick, this series is over right now.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:04 PM
habfaninvictoria

Series Should Already be over

If not for a couple of breaks both ways and some great goaltending and bad luck this series would be over. IN OUR FAVOUR.
We maybe shouldn't have won game one, but we've been the dominant team in games 2,3,4.

All the people who think it's the goalies fault . Unfortunately the first goal in each of the games was a bit flukey and came after we had massive pressure but were unable to beat an extremely hot goalie.

Biron has been good but he's also had more posts and empty nets missed than I can remember. Part of the game, yup, but I think we're overdue for a bit of a reality check for him.

For whatever reason, and I have some theories, pivotal bounce have gone Philly's way. I'm not whining, cause again, we've benefitted from good bounces in previous games. We're due for a couple breaks.

Teams create their own luck and Philly's been working hard. Some of what they do borders on illegal in todays NHL, but the refs are calling it equal, IMO.

So are we going whine and say the sky is falling, and blame everyone from the goalie to the bus driver OR get behind our team and realize we are still the better team and probably deserve a better fate than we've had so far. It's a great team and I think we're gonna pull out the win.

WE NEED TO SCORE FIRST, the rest will take care of itself.

And for christ sakes lets show the fans in Philadelphia that we have a bit of class and leave the anthem booing to them. It's beneath us, sometimes it's better to take the high road.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote