HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

0.95 Seconds; Begin's Penalty Discussion (merged)

Old
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Stone Cutter

vCash: 500
The call was "interference" meaning that the ref thaugh that it was a late hit, not a dangerous play. It was not a late hit base on the standars that both refs set during this game. There was SEVERAL hit similar to that one. If they had called all of them, sure I would live with this call, but it is not the case. Even by the rule book this is a borderline call... It become very questionnable when the refs change their way of calling it during a game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/gamelog/?id=2008043015

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:04 PM
tmp1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the call was interference
So? I'm saying what he did was go out of his way to throw a late hit for no good reason. That was not finishing a check.

tmp1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
JrHockeyFan

The shot was made and within a short time the hit is made.
The wording within 56.1 "INTERFERENCE" in the rules under "Possession of the puck" contact is allowed "immediately following loss of possession of the puck". There is no time so immediate is subject to what the ref thinks. How consistent that call is made depends of interpretation by each ref. So it is by no means a constant. Not even necessarily by the same ref

Could the call be made? Sure

Was the call made? Obviously.

Was it consistent with other calls in the same game? Absolutely not.

Is that unusual? No because it is subject to interpretation

So lots of times fans will get ticked. But if you really think this was an unusual hit, just watch ALL teams make a hit on a D man behind the goal line and see how many there are after "one one thousand". It is VERY common and therefore is not called very often

Forget about the freakin' door and the thought that Begin wanted to hit him through it. It had nothing to do with the call.

So blaming Begin, the top hitter in the playoffs, for making that hit and losing the game is absurd. Besides that fact that there were MANY other more important factors at play, there really was nothing unusual about the call except that it usually does not get made.

Watch a game tonite and count how often no call is made on a hit after the same interval

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:08 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
LOL, blaming Begin is an excuse for the loss, when other, more important things were bigger problems.
maybe but not bigger than this....I know it is hard to admit..

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Am I the only one who no longer cares about Begin, that call, that loss and is focusing on the next game instead of the last one?
No you're not the only one... Same feeling here..

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
No you're not the only one... Same feeling here..
Me too

I'm always the most frustrated after the habs lose but when I wake up the day after I have less and less doubt, and I'm the most excited the day of the game, like the loss never happens.

I remember 2004 vs Boston when we lost game 4 I was about to cry but I always believed.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Was it consistent with other calls in the same game? Absolutely not.
That was my biggest problem with the call. The Flyers were running a lot of "interference" of their own all game.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

What's funny is that logically everytime a guy "finish his check" on a D man it should be counted as interference or as a penalty. Say a D throw the puck behind the net to his other D man, where it slide around the board behind the net, well most of the time the guy that just threw the puck gets checked by the forward of the other team even though he doesn't have the puck for a good 5 second. Well that's what Begin did: guy had the puck, then he didn't have it and you can count a good 5 second before Begin hits him. So it's forbidden if it's in the middle of the ice while guys do it all the time when it's in the other team's zone? I can see how intense checking guys like Begin would be mixed up. Because "finishing your check" in not forbidden and pretty much common and allowed. And for these guys they're pretty much hired for that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What's funny is that logically everytime a guy "finish his check" on a D man it should be counted as interference or as a penalty. Say a D throw the puck behind the net to his other D man, where it slide around the board behind the net, well most of the time the guy that just threw the puck gets checked by the forward of the other team even though he doesn't have the puck for a good 5 second. Well that's what Begin did: guy had the puck, then he didn't have it and you can count a good 5 second before Begin hits him. So it's forbidden if it's in the middle of the ice while guys do it all the time when it's in the other team's zone? I can see how intense checking guys like Begin would be mixed up. Because "finishing your check" in not forbidden and pretty much common and allowed. And for these guys they're pretty much hired for that.
I agree with almost all you said, except when I watch the hit Begin made at regular speed the hit is something less than two seconds after release of the puck. I didn't have a stop watch on it, but did the one one thousand thing

Hitters for the most part are looking for the hit. It all boils down to timing: will he make the hit, will he hit the boards, will he hit him late.

The absolute ONLY thing a ref could do to rationalize calling the hit different is that the player was dumping it in and could not chase the puck. But why that should be different from anywhere else on the ice beats the heck outa me. Every player that gets hit is trying to go somewhere to do something. Rule 56.1 is pretty vague and so are the results

In any case the call was made. I'm not crazy about it, but I can see how it can be called. The point is that it needs to be applied evenly. hammering on Begin for that hit is silly.

In any event it seems that every time we lose, somebody has to get the "big blame". One guy caused the loss. The game is not that simple.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote