Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

MAHL Question

Old
03-11-2008, 06:53 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

vCash: 500
MAHL Question

I know in the ECHL teams are only allowed to have certain amount of players that they can have on their team at a time. I was wondering between MAHL and ECHL teams can u work out deals like AHL and ECHL have where teams in ECHL can send players down to MAHL to develop?

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 09:26 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Theoretically yes but the ECHL teams would not waste the capital to sign a player and send them to the MAHL. They need the cap space to sign a good player to have a competitive team. This idea has been discussed in regards to the SPHL and it was determined that if would only serve for ECHL teams to sign the top SPHL players. Which they already do.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Kevin Wey

I'm not certain that the PHPA's collective bargaining agreement allows players to be assigned, per se, to lower leagues or other AA leagues. What an ECHL team can have in place is an agreement with an "A" league team to give them some preference in signing players for emergency needs, which we did see some of between the MAHL and the ECHL this season. But, there aren't any players playing in the SPHL or the MAHL (when it existed) on an ECHL contract. The loaning and re-assignment generally only happens between the NHL, AHL, and ECHL, of which the top two levels involve guaranteed contracts (if you're not on a tryout contract at the AHL level). There are specifics in the loaning of players in the NHLPA and NHL's CBA to the AHL and the ECHL, and then the AHL and the ECHL have agreements with the PHPA in the loaning of players, how much loaned players count toward their salary cap, etc.

The fact that we sometimes see ECHL teams fielding sparse rosters due to injuries is one reason I'd like to see Single A hockey make it in various regions around the country, this way there are players close by if needed that have been playing some decent hockey. Even if "Single A" beyond the SPHL meant more of a semi-pro league where only a few players were professional players and the rest had to have jobs on the side, I'd be interested in seeing that succeed. It just doesn't make sense for there to be more AA leagues than A leagues in a sport.

So, I hope that the EPHL finds a way to make it, the MAHL can regroup, and the MWHL gets off the ground. If some sort of western A league could make it, too, that might be able to help the ECHL's western teams, who suffer the most from depleted rosters due to injuries.

Last edited by Kevin Wey: 03-12-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:22 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Question - This MAHL League can players from Canada come play in the league or does it only allow americans play in the league?

Old
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
minorlife

anwer

the question is not "if" canadian players can play in the league, it is can the league legally employ import players. this is the major problem for most leagues as they do not bother to obtain labor certification. in turn this leads to players being deported if caught, so make sure you get the appropriate visa's and check if they are certified by USCIS, if you have questions contact me.

minorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 05:48 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Well the reason why i ask is because i contacted the league about one of the future possible gms jobs and yes i am taking a general manager course for 1500 but anyways my question was about if we can bring canadians over or not because i live up here in Hamilton/Stoney Creek and coach high school and all, and i was thinking if i were to get this gm thing and the very talented players i was going to bring over but i wasn't sure what the rules were and such... As well how many imports can u have on a team?

I know they have to be 20 yrs of age before they come over here just was a question...

Last edited by HamiltonOHL: 04-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old
04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
minorlife

Wow!!!

I just saw some video of their "try out" camp for the south shore shooters, and I have got to say this is High School Hockey for Over Age Adults. If people are paying for this brand of hockey the owners should be ashamed, and the fans have obviously never seen a Junior A game because even lower level junior A is far superior. I also read an interview with their coach from their local paper, if he is the "mouth piece" for this team they are doomed. Very Sad, and now I see why everyone has been so hard on them. Shocking, really shocking!!!

Old
04-07-2008, 11:14 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

It's a tryout. It isn't an accurate portrayal of the level of play because these guys paid their way to the tryout, they weren't invited. The level of players was very inconsistent in the first season as you had guys who couldn't even cut it in the league but you had guys like Justin Depretis and Joey Olson.

Old
04-07-2008, 12:01 PM
minorlife

I understand your point but...

Its April. All players worth anything are still playing. This was a money grab pure and simple. Search on E-bay and you find MAHL gear being sold by Haines. I see how there can be a few good players who fall through to the league, but I am sure that the majority of them are not nearly good enough. Look at the pay scale, the arena's, and the quality of coaches. Normally I could support a league starting and doing what they can to make it. But in this case, when you look at everything that is going on, the fact they only have three teams for next year confirmed, a money grab try out in April, equipment being sold on E-bay, size of arena's for the teams, Jim Riggs is gone, no coaches with any real credentials for coaching, not to mention all the other itemse discussed in this board. This causes even the most enthusiastic of fans to be concerned.

Old
04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Just checking Justin Depretis at the hockey db... He scored 58 goals in what 27 games in MAHL.. Then he played what 29 games in IHL and only scored 16 goals... He isnt as good as ppl think he is from what i hear and seen on the net...

Old
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 View Post
Just checking Justin Depretis at the hockey db... He scored 58 goals in what 27 games in MAHL.. Then he played what 29 games in IHL and only scored 16 goals... He isnt as good as ppl think he is from what i hear and seen on the net...
And he was absolutely useless on a putrid Wheeling team last year in the ECHL.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:51 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

My point was that he was a good enough player who slipped through the cracks and would have ended up not playing pro hockey. I'm not saying we'll see the guy in the show but leagues like the MAHL, if done right, can provide those diamonds in the ruff to shine and move on to bigger and better things.

Old
04-07-2008, 02:58 PM
minorlife

I agree on that point

What i dont agree on is for those few pretty good guys who could in theory become much better if coached and if playing with equal players or better players in a true development league, this league has alot of problems. I love seeing players climb higher and achieve their goals. the problem is not with the opportunity to play, it is with the way the opportunity is packaged and presented. think about it, how much better could a 3rd or 4th line ECHL player become if he was a first or second line player in a real development league? a year or two of seasoning would make this player much better if he was properly coached an guided. this is one of the biggest problems for this league, thats the point i am trying to make.

Old
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
minorlife

has anyone heard this....

I just 15 minutes ago got a phone call from a friend in Indiana who said he heard the league is done. Can anyone verify this? Seems shocking since they just had that tryout, so I was looking for verification either way.

Old
04-09-2008, 09:05 PM
AHLFAN

Email from Haines

Below is a copy of an email I sent Mr. Haines and his reply.

Next week we will be announcing several teams. We'll be playing next year.

-----Original Message-----

Subj: The Mid-Atlantic Hockey League: New Teams
Date: Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:53 pm
Size: 291 bytes
To: ahaines@mahlhockey.com

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.mahlhockey.com from:
Paul <YorkCoGuy@aol.com>

Mr. Haines:

Can you tell me when more teams will be announced for your league? It is being report on a hockey forum that you league is finished. Is this true? I'm hoping that your league can go on.

AHLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
minorlife

interesting

the guy sure isnt much for words is he? lol when he says several, you think he means three? isnt one of the arena's he is planning puting a team the same arena that had an NEHL team in it and didnt draw well? this is a freakin soap opera already. i will pass that info along though, thanks.

Old
04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHLFAN View Post
Below is a copy of an email I sent Mr. Haines and his reply.

Next week we will be announcing several teams. We'll be playing next year.

-----Original Message-----

Subj: The Mid-Atlantic Hockey League: New Teams
Date: Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:53 pm
Size: 291 bytes
To: ahaines@mahlhockey.com

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.mahlhockey.com from:
Paul <YorkCoGuy@aol.com>

Mr. Haines:

Can you tell me when more teams will be announced for your league? It is being report on a hockey forum that you league is finished. Is this true? I'm hoping that your league can go on.
With that being said what are some guess as where the teams could be from?

Old
05-01-2008, 01:29 PM
minorlife

fidel jenkins information...

http://www.invotex.com/assets/BI_20071119.pdf

page 3 left hand column. everyone enjoy, this team is obviously now financialy stable.

Old
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
AHLFAN

Minorlife I dont think your link is working. Waited 10 mins and nothing.

AHLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 05:50 PM
minorlife

i got it fine

its a pdf file, what a good read......BANKRUPTCY INSIDER REPORT FOR ATTORNEY'S