HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why won't anyone stand in front of Biron?

Old
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Why won't anyone stand in front of Biron?

Curious why we can't ask one of our players to act like Holmstrom and just screen Biron often? Why does nobody want to act as a screen?

Its not like they have to worry about getting hit by a puck from out D since they shoot wide so often.

Who could we park in front of the net?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Players don't wanna pay the price.If they took notes in Philly,they will notice that their captain scored twice being there for a rebound.Im sure game 5 to 7 you will see plenty of traffic in front of biron

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Judge Sauer*

Heat Vision

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:21 PM
The n00b King ©*

It's really sad the Koivu seems to be the only one willing to do so.

Just gives me even more reason to respect him.

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Belso

I agree with you. If it's about being scared, then Montreal doesn't deserve to win. But if it's because they have some other plan, I would rather they learn to screen goalies and place Latendresse in front of Biron. You don't have to run into him. Just make sure he doesn't see the puck.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Aside from K-tops, smokes and Begin...the whole Canadien line up is made up of Cross Dressers. Sad really.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Aside from K-tops, smokes and Begin...the whole Canadien line up is made up of Cross Dressers. Sad really.
I'd like to see you tell Komisarek to his face he is a "cross dresser".

Now that I think of it... these last few games he has played like one, though.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Say what you want about Lucic... but i wish our guys would stand infront of the net like him.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
I'd like to see you tell Komisarek to his face he is a "cross dresser".

Now that I think of it... these last few games he has played like one, though.
Exactly, no physical presence whatsoever. But I was talking more the Hab forwards.

Old
05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

I like Lucic, I liked what he brought to the Bruins, he is more than a goon...wish we picked him instead of Maxwell, and no Hindsight has nothing to do with it...I was really impressed with the Kid as a junior.

Old
05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Say what you want about Lucic... but i wish our guys would stand infront of the net like him.
Exactly! I mean.. Biron can see 99% of the shots.. and he's stopping them. Why don't they make life difficult?

Maybe.. Ryder?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

If these same 6 top forwards are what we have to look forward to in the 100th year anniversary, we're already in trouble. They aren't playoff hockey Material (aside from Koivu).

Old
05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Beakermania*

You guys must all be tired and frustrated.....

Noone is getting the Lucic = crossdresser joke...

Old
05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

tired, disappointed...yep we are

Old
05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
If these same 6 top forwards are what we have to look forward to in the 100th year anniversary, we're already in trouble. They aren't playoff hockey Material (aside from Koivu).
2 of them are in their first playoff, and Plex is in his first playoff in a big role. they might actually learn a thing or two.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
KenAF

One benefit of this extra day off is that it will give the Habs an extra day to practice traffic and screens. You have to assume they talked about it before the last two games, but talking and doing are often two different things. Practice should help.

Montreal's position is very similar to what Washington was in against the Flyers. They were down 2-1 and weren't able to beat Biron from the point or slot after Green's shot in game1. During that day off, Washington changed around their lines and positioning to create traffic. The power play was changed to stick two guys in front of Biron, including Ovechkin. They had someone in front of Biron on every possession in the Flyers zone. The result? One loss in overtime, two straight wins, and a game 7 overtime.

Montreal has an advantage that Washington did not -- puck possession. Washington and Philly were much closer in puck possession. Montreal is superior in the neutral zone and has controlled the puck in Philly's zone for the overwhelming majority of the last two games. They simply need to make higher-percentage shots and chances with traffic. If the Montreal can make those changes with their personnel, then the only question is whether they've dug themselves into too deep a hole at 3-1.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:43 PM
anarmandaleb

It's because they are afraid of his crazy eyes.

I honestly think they haven't figured it out yet. If they had, they would have done it in games 3 and 4.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Curious why we can't ask one of our players to act like Holmstrom and just screen Biron often? Why does nobody want to act as a screen?

Its not like they have to worry about getting hit by a puck from out D since they shoot wide so often.

Who could we park in front of the net?
Kostitsyn and Koivu do it well, but obviously not to the level of Holmstrom. Part of the problem is the habs are too patient looking for the perfect chance, that's fine when the offense is clicking, but when it won't go in...adjust and get a couple of garbage ones.

One thing that coaches teach players now at a young age is to look for open ice and get open, when a team collapses to the font of the net, the natural tendancy is to use the open ice on the outside. In the "new NHL" crowding the middle is a common tactic with the bigger zones.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Players don't wanna pay the price.If they took notes in Philly,they will notice that their captain scored twice being there for a rebound.Im sure game 5 to 7 you will see plenty of traffic in front of biron
That's a BS misconception. There is as much or more "price" to pay in the corners and behind the red line.

Old
05-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's a BS misconception. There is as much or more "price" to pay in the corners and behind the red line.
Which is true and is in fact where Montreal is really losing the series.

How many battles along the boards have the habs won? The number can be counted on your fingers.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post

How many battles along the boards have the habs won? The number can be counted on your fingers.
I don't think thats true.... they are definetely winning lots of battles and keeping the Flyers hemmed in their own end for plenty of the games.

Old
05-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post

If the Flyers are winning all the battles, why are they only getting 15-20 shots a game and spending most of the game in their end?

It's not the fact that the Habs won't go in the slot, it's that they have players there quite often, but they are not getting the puck to there or the net unless it's a clear cut shot. That's very evident on the PP, where the Flyers are giving a lot of room to the Habs umbrella of Kovy Markov and Streit.

Old
05-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Garo

Quote:
You know, Datsyuk and Zetterberg weren't good at all in their first playoffs. Now, I'm not saying we have a player of this caliber on this team, but I'll be patient with the rookies.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If the Flyers are winning all the battles, why are they only getting 15-20 shots a game and spending most of the game in their end?
because they are spending half the game killing penalties. the Habs have been controlling the play a lot, but this shots thing is getting blown way out of proportion. i think it was game 3 in particular when the Flyers had something like 29 total PIM, that's half the game right there. how are you supposed to get shots when you're on the PK all game? i think 5 on 5 this matchup is pretty even.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
We have how much... eleven guys who never played in the NHL playoffs this year? Lets give em a chance guys...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote