HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brisebois talks about being a role player and possibility of playing another year...

Old
05-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

vCash: 500
Brisebois talks about being a role player and possibility of playing another year...

Here's a Brisebois article from NHL.com about this season.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:52 AM
RE-HABS

Hope it is elsewhere because we need players like O'Byrne to be everyday and with the possibilty of Emelin or Valentanko coming up I think it is time to shed the older players and let the younger one's earn their experience.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Iwishihadacup

If he do not care to let the young play and to act like depth, and to ask the same salary, I would not say no

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
anarmandaleb

I don't love him, but I like him plenty. I think if he'll accept that the youngins need a real chance and that his role is more to share the wisdom, I wouldn't mind seeing him.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
rudethedude66

Better be thinkin bout the ECHL

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Brisebois has been suprisingly... "serviceable"... for the most part this year. An adequate #7-8 guy who can step in and sometimes play well enough to merit top-4 minutes and other times make you wish he was in the pressbox. There's nothing wrong per se with having that depth element on your roster, so long as it's not at a salary which makes it too much of a luxury. I think a $1.4M cap hit is too much for that. And I think we're in some trouble if we still have a use for him next year. Surely we can find somebody better/cheaper in that spot than Brisebois. (Including some of our current players like O'Byrne).

So I think it's fair enough to say he was worth having this year, but it's also fair to fervently hope that he's not back again next year.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
jean004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Brisebois has been suprisingly... "serviceable"... for the most part this year. An adequate #7-8 guy who can step in and sometimes play well enough to merit top-4 minutes and other times make you wish he was in the pressbox. There's nothing wrong per se with having that depth element on your roster, so long as it's not at a salary which makes it too much of a luxury. I think a $1.4M cap hit is too much for that. And I think we're in some trouble if we still have a use for him next year. Surely we can find somebody better/cheaper in that spot than Brisebois. (Including some of our current players like O'Byrne).

So I think it's fair enough to say he was worth having this year, but it's also fair to fervently hope that he's not back again next year.

IF he was willing, and Montreal wanted him to take on this role, would you accept Brisebois as the new assistant coach for our defencemans?

You have:

- Brisebois - D Coach
- Muller - Offensive Forward Coach (works with the 1st and 2nd line)
- Jarvis - Defensive Forward Coach (works with 3rd-4th line)
- Melancon - Goalie Coach
- Carbonneau - Head Coach
- Gainey GM

Not a bad head office, considering that all of these players have won the cup with the Habs. Hell, lets bring in Damphousse lol, he can be our PP coach.

jean004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Brisebois needs to understand that his NHL career as a useful player is over the minute this series is over. If he wants to coach he should be doing it in he AHL.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Slick Nick

Any chance Valentenko gets the job over O'byrne next year?

Heard so many positive things on him in the last few months... havn't seen him play though.

Where's Dan Linn?

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Oh god no.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

I agree. I just hope Carbo realizes he is just that. A serviceable defenseman at this point.

Maybe 30 games a year and less than 15 minutes a night.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Teufelsdreck

Stop with the golden oldies! The Habs need someone with more testosterone.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Marksman

Making Brisebois our defensive coach sounds terrible...

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean004 View Post
IF he was willing, and Montreal wanted him to take on this role, would you accept Brisebois as the new assistant coach for our defencemans?
That is actually a really neat idea. I would love to see him behind the players bench during the games, it would actually give me alot of pride to see Patrice stay with the CH well after his playing career. He is seriously one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, and he has Cup winning experience and wisdom. I love the idea, and for some reason I can seriously see it happening (maybe not D coach, but something with the team)

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

bang on!

Quote:

You have:

- Brisebois - D Coach

are you serious? Do you really want to have our talented youg D-men getting taught how to be NHL defensemen by Patrice Breez-by???

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Mr. Hab

Brisebois alongside Demers and Brunet on RDS!!

The 1993 squad!

p.s.: seen Brisebois in person twice now and he is the nicest person (always smiling and absolutely no attitude, no ego, no "look at me...I'm a millionaire in the nhl!"). It might be nice to see him on RDS (if Patrice wants the job one day).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:11 AM
wedge

I have to admit that, in the playoffs, he's been better than Streit... but still, I hope he retires.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:32 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
bang on!

are you serious? Do you really want to have our talented youg D-men getting taught how to be NHL defensemen by Patrice Breez-by???
Him being an average D at best doesnt mean he couldnt coach... I mean, don't we have Gainey, Carbs and Jarvis part of the otg/team that scored the most goals this season ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I will be very pissed off if he is back next season.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Him being an average D at best doesnt mean he couldnt coach... I mean, don't we have Gainey, Carbs and Jarvis part of the otg/team that scored the most goals this season ?
your absolutely right. In fact playing ability has very little relevance to how good someone can coach the game...
i was more commenting in jest.

breezer may or may not have coaching tools, and he certainly has a wealth of experience from the pro game to draw upon.

but if in his first year coaching I saw even the SLIGHTEST increase in our Dmen passing the puck across our defensive zone in front of the net, I'd fire his ass in a second, just on principle alone

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:34 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
**** off, I hope not.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:34 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Brisebois needs to understand that his NHL career as a useful player is over the minute the playoffs are over. If he wants to coach he should be doing it in he AHL.
Fixed.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:46 AM
mcphee

Quote:

You have:

- Brisebois - D Coach
- Muller - Offensive Forward Coach (works with the 1st and 2nd line)
- Jarvis - Defensive Forward Coach (works with 3rd-4th line)
- Melancon - Goalie Coach
- Carbonneau - Head Coach
- Gainey GM

Not a bad head office, considering that all of these players have won the cup with the Habs. Hell, lets bring in Damphousse lol, he can be our PP coach.

I'm curious as to why you think Brisebois would be a good coach. I'm not flaming or being a smartass, I see posts promoting some guys as coaches and I never know what makes people think that player A would be a good coach.

Right now, Jarvis coaches our D. I'd think that the D have come around nicely for the most part. Gorges,Komi are 2 young players who have improved. O'b improves as he goes along, I think the development curve is going smoothly enough. I'm not sure what the system is for d men below the NHL level, who's charged with that on Lever's staff, but I seee signs of improvement from the D overall. This series hasn't been great obviously, but from October onward, I like the way they've played.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I don't think any of us would be qualified to comment meaningfully on his potential as a coach. For sure, it's not always the players you would think most likely based on their on-ice play that end up being the best coaches. Sometimes it is, sometimes not, I don't think anybody can predict that stuff for the generic player just by watching him play the game. They have Gaston Gingras tutoring in the summer and sometimes mention him as a really good instructor who might also be in line for a D-coaching job. Melanson seems to be a fine goalie coach. Etc. Who knows. It's not all Carbos and Robinsons and Laperrieres who make the best coaches.

So after trying to cover myself with that preface ... NO WAY IN HELL would I want Brisebois as the Habs' D coach next year!!!!!!!!!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
GoHabs20

go away and never come back.

enough with this charity case.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote