HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why won't anyone stand in front of Biron?

Old
05-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Maximus Taylor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
We have how much... eleven guys who never played in the NHL playoffs this year? Lets give em a chance guys...
the expectations because of finishing first in the east has made a lot of people lose sight of that it seems.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob De Funes View Post
the expectations because of finishing first in the east has made a lot of people lose sight of that it seems.
Agreed. This year is a practice run for next year and ou 100th year party. Our kids are learning the hard way but this will make them better a whole lot faster.

Add that and add also that we are going to add new players (rookies and FA's) next year and who knows what can happen!...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I don't think thats true.... they are definetely winning lots of battles and keeping the Flyers hemmed in their own end for plenty of the games.
are they "winning" the battles in this sense or are they being contained to the outside.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Curious why we can't ask one of our players to act like Holmstrom and just screen Biron often? Why does nobody want to act as a screen?

Its not like they have to worry about getting hit by a puck from out D since they shoot wide so often.

Who could we park in front of the net?
For the most part, the Habs top players play a finnesse game (not a physical game), which expalins why they had a good regular season, but have struggled in the playoffs.

Look at the '07 Cup finals. Ottowa could match any opponent with skill, but lacked the physical toughness required to win against the Ducks. Ducks physically manhandled the Sens and easily won the Cup.

For the most part, Habs key forwards are either too small or lack "grit" to compete effectively at that level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Aside from K-tops, smokes and Begin...the whole Canadien line up is made up of Cross Dressers. Sad really.

WOW man!!

As a team, I don't think the Habs are strong physically, but "cross-Dressers???

Quote:
Say what you want about Lucic... but i wish our guys would stand infront of the net like him.

Couldn't agree more.

With him being a slow skater I don't hink he would be a great fit for Montreal, but, I anticipate he will be more effective at the NHL level than say, Ben Maxwell will be!

(I could be wrong and I hope Maxwell becomes a star and proves me wrong)!

The '07 Cup finals proved-- at least to me -- that finnesse players without grit will have limited effectiveness in the playoffs!

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-02-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:20 AM
TomPlex

I'm confident that they're going to watch the previous 3 games over and over again until they can see that the only way we've scored goals on Biron is with guys in front of the net. The previous 4 goals we've scored on him were all the EXACT same plays. It amazes me to see how they only seem to want to try that play at the end of the game.

I have faith that they're going to learn from their mistakes, and combine their amazing play with that tactic to score tons on Biron over the next 3 games!

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
are they "winning" the battles in this sense or are they being contained to the outside.
They are winning the battles.... Watch the forecheck... watch the way they are forcing their d to cough up the puck, and then we are keeping the puck in at the line....

We are doing a great job of this 5 on 5... On the PP it was good in game 4; but atrocious in game 3.... However over both games we forechecked well 5 on 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
because they are spending half the game killing penalties. the Habs have been controlling the play a lot, but this shots thing is getting blown way out of proportion. i think it was game 3 in particular when the Flyers had something like 29 total PIM, that's half the game right there. how are you supposed to get shots when you're on the PK all game? i think 5 on 5 this matchup is pretty even.
Did you ever think the reason that the flyers have so many penalties is because the Habs always have the puck.... Thats what happens when you win the puck possession game, the other team is forced to trip, hook, hold, etc to get the puck off of you.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

I agree that Montreal could be more present in front of the net. But you also have to give some credit to Biron and his rebound control. The Koivu goal during game 4 was one of his only mistake. The problem is, Higgins and to a lesser extent Andrei K., are not burying theirs chances.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Slick Nick

Bégin les culottes baissées

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:05 AM
headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
One benefit of this extra day off is that it will give the Habs an extra day to practice traffic and screens. You have to assume they talked about it before the last two games, but talking and doing are often two different things. Practice should help.
I guess you know by now that Carbo gave the boys the day off on Thursday. I mean, why practice or go over strategies when you're down 3-1?

headliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:53 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by headliner View Post
I guess you know by now that Carbo gave the boys the day off on Thursday. I mean, why practice or go over strategies when you're down 3-1?
They all went golfing...not exactly day off...I'm sure it will help.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 04:52 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Curious why we can't ask one of our players to act like Holmstrom and just screen Biron often? Why does nobody want to act as a screen?

Its not like they have to worry about getting hit by a puck from out D since they shoot wide so often.

the team should take notice of where koivu is getting his goals. Montreal is too low on confidence, and biron is playing way too well for the habs to score their typical skill goals.

Its time to get some garbage goals. If the 5'10 koivu can stand in front of the net, nobody else really has an excuse to stay away from there (other than being gutless).

I still think the habs can get away with the current way they are playing against the flyers if the goalies stop giving up chronic softies. But in the long run, you will have to get some traffic goals to go all the way.

Last edited by Hackett: 05-02-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Kaptain Bégin

Never draft player with this style of play. Timmins, who is my new god, draft guy on their skating first, their shoot and hockey sense. So, we draft guys who can take the puck and make plays. It's perfect for me, it's the style of play I like. But on our young team, nobody of actual line-up, exept Latendresse has been draft for being a player who go on goalies crease. They must learn to do that. In years to come, guys like MaxPac, White, Stewart, Chipchura, Conboy would be had if their developpement go well. But for now, guys must learn to pay the price.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:14 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
They are winning the battles.... Watch the forecheck... watch the way they are forcing their d to cough up the puck, and then we are keeping the puck in at the line....

We are doing a great job of this 5 on 5... On the PP it was good in game 4; but atrocious in game 3.... However over both games we forechecked well 5 on 5.

Did you ever think the reason that the flyers have so many penalties is because the Habs always have the puck.... Thats what happens when you win the puck possession game, the other team is forced to trip, hook, hold, etc to get the puck off of you.
Yeah and the battles Philly does win, Our D pass it back to you guys.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah and the battles Philly does win, Our D pass it back to you guys.
And then Biron stops us cold. Nothing to worry about on your part!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:39 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Agreed. This year is a practice run for next year and ou 100th year party. Our kids are learning the hard way but this will make them better a whole lot faster.

Add that and add also that we are going to add new players (rookies and FA's) next year and who knows what can happen!...

Even the rookies are professional players and should be able to follow instructions. If the coach tells them to get in front of the net and cause traffic, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to follow instructions. I can't give rookies the benefit of the doubt that still make more money in 1 year that i'll make in half my life. Rookies need time to develop their skills, not follow instructions. (that we all learned in kindergarten)

habs need to create traffic around the net. They will score more, and they will get more rebounds because biron won't see the puck to handle it. rebound control goes hand in hand with seeing the shot. again , a no brainer. ex. See koivu's play.

mtl is doing a good job along the boards and causing penalties, but the key to success is the zone right in front of the net. I'm even going so far as to say that they should run biron, even though i'm always against it. Biron is too comfortable over there, they have to get to him mentally and physically.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Joe Cole

To think now, after 82 games of regular season, and 12 of post season, that all of a sudden, we are going to start doing things that we have never done is simply foolish.

What brought the Habs his far?

It wasn't guys standing in front of the net.
It wasn't goalie's stealing games for us.

It was the powerplay.

If we are not winning... it isn't because of things we have NEVER done.... it is the things we always did, and now cannot seem to do as well.

Jesus... it's as if everyone has memory loss.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
To think now, after 82 games of regular season, and 12 of post season, that all of a sudden, we are going to start doing things that we have never done is simply foolish.

It was the powerplay.

If we are not winning... it isn't because of things we have NEVER done.... it is the things we always did, and now cannot seem to do as well.

I agree. It's a bit late to start changing the team's playing style for this playoff year. And yes, you go with the players and the game style that got you there!

The reality is, the Habs have not been a good team 5 on 5 and you cannot rely on the pp to win games all the time!

But, for the future, to become a more effective team, the Habs as an organization may have to start drafting differently and Carbo may have to change (at least somewhat) his approach to coaching if the Habs are to get to the "next level" in the playoffs!

Old
05-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Kalcon

Quote:

Here are a few reasons....timid, soft, scared, intimidated, lack of desire, unwilling to pay the price, no heart, lack of character, etc! (Saku Koivu excluded!)

Basically, it looks like the Flyers want to win more. The will to win or the fear of losing coupled with desire and heart can overcome just skill and speed on most days.

Say what you want but Philly has alot more character players on their team than we do. The difference, in my opinion, is the Canadian content.

Kalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
Here are a few reasons....timid, soft, scared, intimidated, lack of desire, unwilling to pay the price, no heart, lack of character, etc! (Saku Koivu excluded!)

Basically, it looks like the Flyers want to win more. The will to win or the fear of losing coupled with desire and heart can overcome just skill and speed on most days.

Say what you want but Philly has alot more character players on their team than we do. The difference, in my opinion, is the Canadian content.

Well said!

Old
05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
They all went golfing...not exactly day off...I'm sure it will help.

Do you have a source for that?

headliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post

It was the powerplay.

Powerplay during this series : 4/18 or 22,2%
Powerplay during the regular season: 24,2%

I doubt the drop of 2% (or 0,36 goal) is responsible for the 3 losses.

I don't think everyone has memory loss

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:11 AM
habs1989

No one wants to sacrifice thier body for the team, which is why we are not winning this series.

habs1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:33 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post

Some may agree with that comment but i dont. The guys want it as much as the Flyers and the stats prove it. How can you dominate a team more than we are doing right now?? It is also not true that nobody wants to pay the price, its more about the style they play. The first 2 lines like to pass the puck and set up plays instead of throwing it to the net and hope. The bros are learning on the go Kovalev never played that style and the others try as much as they can to crash the net.

Right now the problem is mental, things are just not going our way even if we try hard. Now it seems the guys are lost and a bit discouraged by Biron. With the way we dominated this series and still lost 3 games, just one win could just flip the script. Thats all they need....Philly having more character is bull, they havent done anything great in these series aside from getting many gifts from our goaltenders. Give us a lead just one...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Talent Analyst

Koivu did and score 2 goals. Thats the way it is.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Egg farts. That's about the only excuse. Give the boys some clothespins.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote