HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michael Ryder - Should he Play?? (merged)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2008, 08:12 PM
  #201
Athlétique_Canadien
Registered User
 
Athlétique_Canadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Ryder has played but in those Boston series games he reminded me of a plumber. He's playing like a 4th liner who can't recover or hold pucks in the offensive zone. He hits and cuts off the transistion attack very well. But if a player isn't scoring when he should be it equates to him not playing! I don't see him coming back next year. Maybe he can be a Leafy now.

Maybe Carbo should play him and ask him if he wants to really save the season - BE THE DIFFERENCE! Apparently, BOb is high on the kid.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:16 PM
  #202
Adam91
Registered User
 
Adam91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: White Rock, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,677
vCash: 500
BadHabit = the truth!, play Ryder!!!

If Ryder doesn't play again this season he is as good as gone and I think I want him back next year, despite what all the haters will say. Im ready to call a bad year a bad year.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:17 PM
  #203
Prrebel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
Dude, just don't go stating items as "facts" if there is no info to back it up. Just don't be ripping players and calling it facts without some proof.

The "anal" part was pretty funny though.. I'll give you that.

Prrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:18 PM
  #204
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prrebel View Post
Dude, just don't go stating items as "facts" if there is no info to back it up. Just don't be ripping players and calling it facts without some proof.

The "anal" part was pretty funny though.. I'll give you that.
I thought you'd like that lol. SOrry if any offended, I'm drunk right now haha

Cheers!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:20 PM
  #205
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Isn't it possible that the "haven't talked to" Ryder context was contract? You seriously believe NOBODY talked to Ryder? How did he know he was in the line-up or out? Sign language?

As for Samsonov? I think it was pretty clear that he wasn't trying from the get go showing up at camp way over weight. He was given lots of chances to work his way into the line-up and did not. He demanded a trade, which the team tried to do and there were no takers. He eventually ended up in Chicago who were underwhelmed by his performance too. Perhaps he woke up long enough to trick carolina into that deal (oddly similar to his Habs deal).

So if you trust samsonov more than Carbo based on sammies history, and sammies word, I think you have it in for carbo

Carbo goes around and sits with every player and says your playing tonight and gives them a hug and a kiss and says good luck?

It's posted on the game sheet, on the board.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
  #206
Prrebel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01

if anyone cares, apparently Ryder spent his time laughing with his friends on his cell phone while the Habs were getting beat on monday. Last night he made paper planes and threw them around while the Canadiens were getting beat again.
Already been posted about 600 times. Who gives a ****. for all we know he may have been laughing after the Habs tied it up and the paper airplanes may have had his room number written on it and he was tossing it to the hot chick in the 27th row and the phone call was probably for some telemarketer telling him he just won a trip to Florida.

Prrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
  #207
Athlétique_Canadien
Registered User
 
Athlétique_Canadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
BadHabit = the truth!, play Ryder!!!

If Ryder doesn't play again this season he is as good as gone and I think I want him back next year, despite what all the haters will say. Im ready to call a bad year a bad year.
The key to winning this series is to rattle Biron on Saturday. Make him have doubts going into game 6. We have to rattle him for sure! Maybe Ryder is the guy to do it! The only thing is he has to play the game of his life! His recent play based on what I watched doesn't bode well.

Given the current situation (unless there's a phantom injury we are unaware of) when your back is against the wall - why not see if Ryder might have Biron's number?

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
  #208
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I was mad at Bob for not locking him up long term before he hit his UFA years but it looks like it was the right move. At some point Carbo just gave up on him, he won't get an offer from the Habs.
Let's see what he does else where before you say it's the right move.

That's like saying what a smart thing Gainey did by getting rid of Ribs for nothing...because we all know how that turned out too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
Ryder has played but in those Boston series games he reminded me of a plumber. He's playing like a 4th liner who can't recover or hold pucks in the offensive zone. He hits and cuts off the transistion attack very well. But if a player isn't scoring when he should be it equates to him not playing! I don't see him coming back next year. Maybe he can be a Leafy now.

Maybe Carbo should play him and ask him if he wants to really save the season - BE THE DIFFERENCE! Apparently, BOb is high on the kid.
Isn't that the line he has been playing on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I thought you'd like that lol. SOrry if any offended, I'm drunk right now haha

Cheers!
Drunk already? It's what 10:30 in Moncton??? What time did you start???

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:26 PM
  #209
Prrebel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
Exactly. What exactly is the 4th lines job?
- Don't do anything stupid defensively
- just don't let the other team score
- Give the 1st 3 lines a 60 break 6 or 7 times a game

So thats what he did.

Prrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
  #210
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
yeah it was most likely Ryder, imo.
Yeah, because Kovy deserved every penny he made the two previous years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
How long should the Habs carry him on the roster while he's not producing at all ? I don't get your point of "we benched him so it's normal he acts unconcerned", he's still paid to do his job when he's asked to do it and not being concerned for the team is not acceptable since it's still his job to help this team.
Since your gone to bed (12 year olds need their sleep)...you don't get paid in the playoffs.


Plus, he is on the roster because Gainey and Co. aren't going to cut him from it because he hasn't done anything personal or childish to be cut from it like a Grabovski requesting to be sent to Hamilton to play or a Dandenault saying he has to talk to his wife about a trade request because of his situation....Ryder not ever once said anything like that! But, he supposedly makes a paper airplane, talks to some fans and friends and he is the bad guy over those two players who requested and talked about possible changes of scenry???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
I seriously think you guys are blind...really. All I hear is "put Ryder in", "give him a chance"....blah, blah, blah. Poor Ryder .

Haven't you guys been watching this year? All the games Ryder played...he was easily amongst our 2-3 worst players on the ice for almost every game he's played. Easily! No contest. He's been given tons of chances and he's blown them.

And please, Re-Hab....quoting a bastion of credibility in Sergei Samsonov doesn't bolster your case. And oh yeah, Bob Gainey didn't trade Ryder just to torture him . If you want to continue talking fantasies and fables, be my guest. IMO, you're making a total fool out of yourself. Want to talk reality? Harken back to Ryder's "efforts" this season. Easily one of the worst players on the team....EASILY. But no, it's Carbos fault
I guess your right, because the +/- and points that Dandy, Lats and others are posting are all reasons he doesn't deserve to be playing...your biased because you have a hate for aplayer...to say he was one of the worse every game is a true show of how knowledgable you are about the game!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
  #211
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Drunk already? It's what 10:30 in Moncton??? What time did you start???
4... What eles is there to do in Moncton?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 10:27 PM
  #212
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,333
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
Why the hell should Carbonneau put a guy like Michael Ryder in the lineup when he's got superstars like Latendresse, Dandeneault, Begin, and Lapierre to choose from? I mean, these guys took the Habs on their backs this year and brought them to the top in the Eastern Conference...of course they got a little help from Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, etc...but for the most part, these 'flying frenchmen' have taken a page out of the book of the old Montreal Canadiens teams of the 1970's. It gives me chills to watch these guys perform at the level that we've all come to expect from French-Canadian superstars.
And Guy Carbonneau...he should be applauded and commended for his refusal to insert Ryder in the lineup when all practical and sensible reasons are telling him to do the opposite. Why would he use a guy who has great career numbers against their current opponent, who has the ability to score goals in bunches, improved his defensive game at his coaches request, and is very well liked by his teamates? Defense wins championships! What a brilliant mind he must have to play a hunch like that!!!
Goalscorers? Goalscorers? We don't need no stinking goalscorers!
Best post ever

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 01:17 AM
  #213
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears
 
Saint Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
Why the hell should Carbonneau put a guy like Michael Ryder in the lineup when he's got superstars like Latendresse, Dandeneault, Begin, and Lapierre to choose from? I mean, these guys took the Habs on their backs this year and brought them to the top in the Eastern Conference...of course they got a little help from Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, etc...but for the most part, these 'flying frenchmen' have taken a page out of the book of the old Montreal Canadiens teams of the 1970's. It gives me chills to watch these guys perform at the level that we've all come to expect from French-Canadian superstars.
And Guy Carbonneau...he should be applauded and commended for his refusal to insert Ryder in the lineup when all practical and sensible reasons are telling him to do the opposite. Why would he use a guy who has great career numbers against their current opponent, who has the ability to score goals in bunches, improved his defensive game at his coaches request, and is very well liked by his teamates? Defense wins championships! What a brilliant mind he must have to play a hunch like that!!!
Goalscorers? Goalscorers? We don't need no stinking goalscorers!
i tip my hat to you sir......

this is really frustrating....common sense!!!

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:28 AM
  #214
Hollywood
Registered User
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Can someone tell me why a team that is completely on the ropes that according to the coach, the team is having troubles scoring, will not insert the leading goalscorer of 3 of the last 4 years and over the course of 4 years the leading scorer sitting up in the stands. 99 goals in 4 years not playing and on the ropes. If he doesn't play tomorrow night it is no longer about ryder but rather about carbonneau and not wanting to lose face. If he does not play then the coach has not exhausted all options. weak city.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:59 AM
  #215
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 500
According to Francois Gagnon, Ryder spent his time in the pressbox making paper airplanes

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 06:24 AM
  #216
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
According to Francois Gagnon, Ryder spent his time in the pressbox making paper airplanes
Wow...thats groundbreaking

  Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:00 AM
  #217
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Even if he was doing this...is Gagnon being honest? And when did it take place? If it took place between periods and he isn't stating that I think that needs to be addressed.

Plus, why would a reporter even put it in the press? To make sure Ryder is a target to deflect for the poor effort by the players on the ice and because of Carbo's bumblings of not dressing him.

I say BS on the whole matter, and if it is true I still say who cares because players talk and tease the fans all the time...only reason this is being brought to attention is that it is Michael Ryder.



I totally see him as Bruin, Julien loves the guy. Knows how to use him and a Newfoundlander in Boston will be loved by the Irish in Beantown!

Montreal should dread seeing a Lucic-Savard-Ryder line.
Gagnon is pretty hard on the team to begin with. He wouldn't try to deflect the attention off the team. He's not a habs fanboy at all. Infact, some people claim that he's a sens fan.

I've heard Gagnon on the team 990 a lot during the course of this season and he's never really displayed an agenda towards ryder.

Some people claim that Gagnon has an agenda towards kovalev (although I'm not entirely convinced), but definitely not towards ryder.

BTW, I dont think this is news because its michael ryder, this would be news if anyone did it. Its not like grabovski got a free pass after he missed the team flight. In fact, he had to wait for an injury to get another shot. I know ryder has been a whipping boy on these boards for a couple years, but I happen to think that the organization has been fair to him and he should show some respect in return.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:05 AM
  #218
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Gagnon is pretty hard on the team to begin with. He wouldn't try to deflect the attention off the team. He's not a habs fanboy at all. Infact, some people claim that he's a sens fan.

I've heard Gagnon on the team 990 a lot during the course of this season and he's never really displayed an agenda towards ryder.

Some people claim that Gagnon has an agenda towards kovalev (although I'm not entirely convinced), but definitely not towards ryder.
True enough, but I'm sure there are antics that happen all year round (regular season and playoffs) on all teams and this gets public now? Why?

I'm not sure why this is coming out...???

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:06 AM
  #219
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
all this energy, posting, arguments...

and over what?


a "sniper" that couldn't score on the highest scoring team in the league
a power play specialist that couldn't deliver on the leagues best power play
a guy that played his way (deservingly so) into the press box in a contract year


Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:23 AM
  #220
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
all this energy, posting, arguments...

and over what?


a "sniper" that couldn't score on the highest scoring team in the league
a power play specialist that couldn't deliver on the leagues best power play
a guy that played his way (deservingly so) into the press box in a contract year

He never got a fair share of PP time this year...hello?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:41 AM
  #221
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
He never got a fair share of PP time this year...hello?
I agree.I never and probably never will understand why Carbo kept putting Smolinski out there for the 5 on 3's this year.Ryder is also a right hand shot and struggled most of the season,but as a coach and you know he's in a slump you would think he would send him out and try to get that confidence back with a goal or a nice pass.Anyways the 5 on 3 worked well for us im not saying Smolinski didn't do a great job but I personally would have sent Ryder out there to get some confidence back that of course being the games he played and wasn't a healthy scratch.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:29 AM
  #222
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
Right now Ryder can't hurt.....we should put him up with Kovi and Koivu
second line stays
third line Higgins Lapierre and Latendresse

our third line will be the that goes a little unnoticed, that can pick up a few goals with less pressure

Considering that no one else can seem to score (at least "timely" goals) might as well try Ryder, just tell him to shoot often, hard and from every angle!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.