HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate the Dispatch's CBJ Coverage

View Poll Results: Rate the Dispatches Coverage
A. Best Paper for Hockey in the Nation 2 3.70%
B. Pretty Good Coverage 39 72.22%
C. Nothing Special 12 22.22%
D. Sub-par 0 0%
E. Sub Message Board 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Rate the Dispatch's CBJ Coverage

A few threads have had grumblings against the Dispatch, and since one of these pops up every summer, I figured I'd be the one that starts it.

05-02-2008, 11:52 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
A few threads have had grumblings against the Dispatch, and since one of these pops up every summer, I figured I'd be the one that starts it.
I don't see a heck of a lot of other papers, but I see Chicago and San Jose papers pretty frequently, as well as USA Today, and the Dispatch is way better than those.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Resident Lune
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Resident Lune Send a message via MSN to Resident Lune
There's a difference, I think, between total amount of coverage, and quality of coverage.

They'd definitely get a B, possibly even an A in my mind, when it comes to the quantity. This includes, of course, the amount of content that's been added with Puck Rakers now around.

But quality? Ehn. It seems like every other day I find a factual error in something Portzline or Reed write (without making any announced corrections, no less, hence why I point it out), let alone grimace whenever they seem to try and stir the pot amongst the CBJ fanbase (see: milking the MacLean cow the other day).

So an A for effort, but a D for professionalism.

Army of the Ohio - A CBJ Blog
Resident Lune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Aging Goalie

They have more than my local rag but I live almost 2 hours away and still get at least some coverage. I think it is unfair to qualify some of thier links as coverage as other than 1-2 stories daily (average) the rest of those links are just tidbit picture graphics that don't really qualify as coverage.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Puck-rakers definitely upped their score. Without it, the coverage is average. Most of the news hits the blog before and sometimes only. Sometime's they romance too much in rumors they "hear" which reminds me of Eklund hearsay.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
People are counting the podcast Cannon Fodder as part of their coverage, right?

Good additions with the blog and podcast.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
People are counting the podcast Cannon Fodder as part of their coverage, right?.
Forgot about Cannon Fodder. I really like that roundtable discussion they have. Next one should be coming out within a few days.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

I gave it a B since the poll is about their coverage of the Jackets. Overall NHL coverage is weaker, IMO.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 760
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
The latest blurb over Maclean's fairly innocuous comments on Mr Mac display the axe the writers at the Dispatch feel the need to continually grind and it's really to their own detriment. If it wasn't for that, I'd say the coverage was pretty good. As it is, it's only petty good.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:24 PM
forktie

I dunno guys. I think if you want a local paper to have more and better coverage on the NHL and their team, you probabaly have to move to Canada. Seriously.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Skraut

Cannon fodder ROCKS! I like the blogs, though at times they're on the fine line of being a bit unprofessional (like during the Adam Foote Debacle and this stuff with Dougie's comments) But overall they're good. A lot better than other cities. When i lived in San Jose (a lot of ways similar because they only have NHL like Columbus) sharks stories seemed to be squeezed in between all the other "Real" sports. In the summer, forget it. Heck the Dispatch has as much or more coverage than the Freep in "HockeyGhostTown"

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by forktie View Post
I dunno guys. I think if you want a local paper to have more and better coverage on the NHL and their team, you probabaly have to move to Canada. Seriously.
Not really. The OC Register and LA Times are actually, in my view, better than the Dispatch. I don't believe either have bothered to start doing a podcast or blog and kudos to the Disptach for trying something new to extend their coverage. But as I pointed out elsewhere today, I think their problem is they know the Blue Jackets very well, but only know hockey so-so. I don't get the sense most of these guys (there is/are exception(s)), outside of playoff time, bother to look around the league to know what's going on any more than the casual fan.

Puckrakers gets mixed marks from me. In its attempt to be fresh and up-to-the-minute, I find its sometimes borders on tabloid "journalism". Anyone remember the different colored jersey hub-bub from morning skate?

And then there's the unnecessary Doug MacLean retread comments. Hey, I was front and center in wanting the guy gone, but let's move on and focus on the present. I hope we don't see much Adam Foote coverage in the future for the same reason--old news.

Bottom line, if they were just judged on effort, they'd get an "A", but the quality could use some significant improvement.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
DougKnowsBest

solid B. i only ding them because i dont care to read about their own personal vendettas

the Fan gets a fat F

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM
pipe dreams

I thought the coverage this year was very good compared to years past. and I really enjoy AP's blog. I hope the coverage gets better and better. It can only help the franchise. Fans want info!!!

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
A solid B-

I like Tom Reed and the Cannon Fodder podcasts.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:07 PM
X0ssbar

Pretty damn good coverage if you ask me. Much more than I see out of other US cities papers.

They really upped their game this year with the podcasts and the blog.

A solid B+.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
I gave it a B since the poll is about their coverage of the Jackets. Overall NHL coverage is weaker, IMO.
I gave it a B as well. It seems like they strike out when it counts(see: Deadline day), but in general have really stepped things up, so we're getting there.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

I'm still pleasantly suprised by the volume and quality of the coverage the Dispatch provides.

B+/A-

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:59 PM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Portzline has annoyed me with his whining lately (i.e. Doug comments, blog whining about Ron Wilson showing up Jody Shelley, Foote whining got old really fast), but overall, the blog has been a great addition.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Pluckfur

How do I vote for A, B, C, D and E?

A. The Dispatch is the best paper in the country when it comes to covering Blue Jacket hockey - that's a semantic given. It's difficult enough just following a team for seven full seasons when not one of those seasons was a winning one ... it's got to be even more difficult to *cover* such a team. The reporting of circumstances surrounding the Foote departure was special, I thought. Tracking down the specifics (plane chartering, NHL ticket buying, the Foote family "reunion" in Calgary on deadline day, and the sourcing of sources in Blue Jacket management circles ) was all some fine reporting of information that we would never have gotten elsewhere.

B. It's pretty good coverage of hockey in general. Most people in Columbus likely don't know (or care) that there is an NHL team in town - and they certainly don't care about teams in other cities. The Dispatch runs the NHL capsules, league standings, statistical leaders, and is pretty reliable in covering important issues/happenings in the league. As hockey fans we are pretty spoiled in the amount of coverage dedicated by the Dispatch to hockey in general and the Jackets specifically.

C. It's nothing special, no. But, the completeness of the coverage, and the fact that Reed, Portzline, Arace really DO like the sport of hockey does shine through. The faults those three have journalistically are tempered (I think) by their passion for, and enjoyment of, the sport of hockey.

D. & E. Sub par is the fuzziness between the "journalism" and the blog/fodder material. I do NOT find the insight and analysis of the Dispatch writers to be very good at all... and that's probably because I usually disagree with them. :shrug: But, there you have it. It's pretty clear that our dear beat writers are regular readers (and contributors ) to this forum ... they learn a lot here, and why shouldn't they? This forum is the single most enlightened source of Blue Jacket hockey on the planet.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
C: nothing special

They don't write anything I haven't read on espn.com or yahoo.com

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
leesmith
Still in.

They get a B+ from me. You have to compare them to other metro newspapers, not what is perfect. In doing so, they rank well above average.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:20 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

remember how we used to gripe that the dispatch didn't have nearly enough coverage?? They now have two dedicated guys (Portie and Reed) And Arace contributes as well, though not as much.

We now have a dedicated blog as well as podcasts almost weekly throughout the season.

Bravo guys. I can remember hearing from someone in the media that the Dispatch covers the NHL and the local team alot more3 then other cities get, but then again, we only have two pro teams.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Axel H (Flashy G)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Lune View Post
There's a difference, I think, between total amount of coverage, and quality of coverage.

They'd definitely get a B, possibly even an A in my mind, when it comes to the quantity. This includes, of course, the amount of content that's been added with Puck Rakers now around.

But quality? Ehn. It seems like every other day I find a factual error in something Portzline or Reed write (without making any announced corrections, no less, hence why I point it out), let alone grimace whenever they seem to try and stir the pot amongst the CBJ fanbase (see: milking the MacLean cow the other day).

So an A for effort, but a D for professionalism.
Alot of unprofessional jabs at people, but the information is definetly a B at least.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:26 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
Alot of unprofessional jabs at people, but the information is definetly a B at least.
Thats how we know they are become a legitimate NHL newspaper...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote