HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Put a fork in us

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2004, 12:38 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Small, but positive thing to mention:

Hitch is 2-0 in Conference Finals. Both times Dallas made it to the Finals (99, 00), the Stars were done 3-2 and came back to win the series.

I have confidence Hitch will have these boys ready come tomorrow night.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
Why are most Flyer Fans so sensitive? If you say anything other than the Flyers are the best team ever, they get all insulted. It is ok to be a fan of a team and admit that they are not the best team in the league. I swear it is OK.
It's completely reactionary, due to how the team gets fans hopes up and then pulls the plug. I'm still in recovery due to the 2000 collapse.

I try to be as objective as possible, and it often comes off to some around here as being pessimistic. This Flyer team has dissapointed me to a great extent due to their seeming lack of desire. It's alright to be inconsistant in December, but if you do so in May, you better get your golf clubs ready. This is probably the best shot the Flyers are going to have for the forseeable future, and I'm disheartened to see some players not putting out the effort consistantly.

All that being said, I DO think the Flyers will win game 6. They seem to play well when they are back on their heels, and game 6 will be just that senario.

I'm more worried about a possible game 7.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
It's completely reactionary, due to how the team gets fans hopes up and then pulls the plug. I'm still in recovery due to the 2000 collapse.

I try to be as objective as possible, and it often comes off to some around here as being pessimistic. This Flyer team has dissapointed me to a great extent due to their seeming lack of desire.
Lack of desire, that's one label I would never put on this team.

Biggest problem now is special teams:

Penalty Kill - Desjardins & Ragnarsson are our two best penalty killing defenseman, a huge loss.

Power Play - Desjardins, Pitkanen, and Johnsson are our three best point men on the PP. 2 are out and one has a brokenhand and has trouble shooting the puck.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Lack of desire, that's one label I would never put on this team.
It sure seems that way.

Your two points are valid, but that doesn't explain how inconsistant this team is. A Great effort, followed by lackluster play.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:53 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
It sure seems that way.

Your two points are valid, but that doesn't explain how inconsistant this team is. A Great effort, followed by lackluster play.
Devils series

I think we played well in 13 of the 15 periods.
(2nd period of games 3 & 4)

Leafs series

I think we played well in 15 of the 18+ periods.
(2nd period of games 2 & 3)
(3rd period of game 6)

Tampa series

I think we've played well in 11 of the 15 periods.
(3rd period of game 1)
(beginning of the 2nd period in game 5)
(end of 2nd period in game 1)
(1st period of games 3 & 5)

Old
05-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Anyone can tell you why we are so sensitive. We are tired of losing. We are tired of seeing good teams either not give enough of an effort or just throw it all away. We want a championship. As far as us not being the best team in the league, no, I guess we aren't if we aren't holding the hardware (yet) but we are one of the top 4 if we are still playing right now. Stupid question as to why Flyer fans are sensitive.
The problem to me is that every year since I was in middle school (except for the losing years or 1990-1994) I have heard from countless people that the Flyers will win the Cup that particular year. I am tired of all of the false hope generated by this. I side with Cuiffitelli in all of this. Where has all of the optimism gotten us? Better to be pessimistic and then be pleased with the team's progress rather than the undue optimism that only brings anger.

Overall this team played great. They had a lot of heart and should not be ashamed. If they stayed out of the penatly box (which on occasion is not due to their own play, rather by overvigilant refs or incompetent refs...you choose...) and if they didn't have all of the injuries, I might sing a different tune. However, this is probably this team's last chance. After this, they might as well try to go with a youth movement to compete with the likes of Ottawa, Tampa, SJ, et al.

Last edited by Pantokrator: 05-19-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old
05-19-2004, 03:22 PM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
When are the Flyers going to prove me wrong. Every year I predict what series the Flyers will lose and unfortunately I am always correct. I am sick of this. A lot of you may think that this post is premature but last night lost was just a killer. Even if the Flyers do win on Thursday, there is no way they will win back to back games with game 7 being in Tampa. I feel my annual rant for a youth movement just around the comer. Clarke, you have done good this year but not good enough. Looks like we are going another year without a cup……..29 years and counting.

When will I see a parade? :mad:
For a "Special Opts Comm", you are certainly very pessimistic all of the time!

Alot of us have suffered through many bad endings to seasons through the years, but I don't think this one will be among them. I have faith the Flyers are going to really pick it up for two 60 minute efforts and play the way they did over the final half of last nights game. Call me a Stepford if you want, it's just the feeling I have about this series.

Old
05-19-2004, 04:41 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker 25
For a "Special Opts Comm", you are certainly very pessimistic all of the time!

Alot of us have suffered through many bad endings to seasons through the years, but I don't think this one will be among them. I have faith the Flyers are going to really pick it up for two 60 minute efforts and play the way they did over the final half of last nights game. Call me a Stepford if you want, it's just the feeling I have about this series.

Right on Dude, We can cry when we are out, which we are not yet !!!1 Go Flyers !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old
05-19-2004, 07:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
When are the Flyers going to prove me wrong. Every year I predict what series the Flyers will lose and unfortunately I am always correct. I am sick of this. A lot of you may think that this post is premature but last night lost was just a killer. Even if the Flyers do win on Thursday, there is no way they will win back to back games with game 7 being in Tampa. I feel my annual rant for a youth movement just around the comer. Clarke, you have done good this year but not good enough. Looks like we are going another year without a cup……..29 years and counting.

When will I see a parade? :mad:

I predicted Tampa in 6 and I didn't go off the deep end. I've been saying the Flyers would lose to Ottawa or Tampa Bay for quite a long time. Actually, I said back in October in my predictions that the Flyers would lose to Tampa Bay (2nd round however)

I'm actually more concerned about game 6 than game 7, much like the Toronto series last year. I thought if Toronto won game 6 and forced game 7, the flyers would win 6-1. While I don't think this is such a lock (I think Tampa wins tomorrow), I'm feeling better if we win game 6 because anything can happen in Game 7. Look back at most of the past champions of the league...most of them gave gone through heartbreak before winning. Teams learn to lose before they learn to win.

Old
05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Teams learn to lose before they learn to win.
And we have to support the organization of the short bus students because obviously they haven't learned to win from all this losing... If they have, we'd win the cup this year and the following two or three seasons to make up for past heartbreaks.

Old
05-19-2004, 07:35 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
...most of them gave gone through heartbreak before winning. Teams learn to lose before they learn to win.
we dont have time to learn to lose, we've got our stars on their last leg in the nhl...tampa is only going to become more of a threat as years pass

what a stupid purpose for a thread...i'm the most negative person on here, i'm still on the bandwagon...whining about how our team played, not predicting "how theyre gonna lose" the next game.

tampa came out on fire for game five at home, as expected. down 3-0 we get a wakeup call, bring it to 3-2...did all we could have done in the 3rd period to score goals 3, 4, and so on...but khabibulin just made better saves, whatever, we lost game 1 of a three game series basically.

Old
05-19-2004, 09:00 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Hitch is 2-0 in Conference Finals. Both times Dallas made it to the Finals (99, 00), the Stars were down 3-2 and came back to win the series.
Hell Yeah

Last edited by easton122: 05-19-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old
05-19-2004, 09:04 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Hell Yeah
You know what... a ton of other historical stuff has been holding up, so here's to hoping this will...

Shake shake shake... shake shake shake, shake your banana booty!

Old
05-19-2004, 09:09 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Esche was playing fantastic before those goals. He will play even better in game 6. Im really thinking we might be able to shut this team out and get a 2-0 or 3-0 win in game 6 or 7. The more pressure on Esche the better. He knows he can't let up 3 goals so im betting he'll rebound very well.

Gags was challenged by Clarke and im predicting he's gonna come out on fire in game 6 and he'll at least get a goal. Preems is gonna lead the way. The man knows he is the team and if he plays the game as dominant as he was in game 5 versus the Leafs (our backs were against the wall then IMO) we are gonna win. The problem is for us to win game 7 we need guys like Gags, LeClair, Zhamnov, JR, Amonte, and Recchi to put the puck in the net. I mean seriously as long as one of them scores ill be happy.

Old
05-20-2004, 04:46 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
The problem is for us to win game 7 we need guys like Gags, LeClair, Zhamnov, JR, Amonte, and Recchi to put the puck in the net. I mean seriously as long as one of them scores ill be happy.
Alot was being made about the lack of production out of Recchi and LeClair, and their play has actually picked up somewhat. But Tony Amonte has been the biggest disappointment on the roster for me, by far, throughout the entire playoffs.

Old
05-20-2004, 11:35 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

there is way to much negativity in Philadelphia sports period. yeah fine Philly' sport teams have lost some crucial games. many of them heartbreaking. I would love to hear a constant roar of cheering tonite on the tv from our fans. Because this team deserves it. they have given us everything they have so far, and its gonna continue, i believe that. We have come to far to just give up and lose now.

REFUSE TO LOSE!

Closed Thread