HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Owned by 2006's Worst Team Thread

Old
05-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
you know Montreal was a non playoff team too last year right.

Its not like they are that different from Philly.

Philly made shrewd trades and Montreal had good development.

I fail to see the point. Maybe there isn't and its another general *****ing and whining thread.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:24 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Show pride for a team that took 15 years to get to this point of getting ousted in 5 games to a team that a year ago finished DEAD LAST in the NHL?

Show all the pride you want for this organization... I happen to have standards.
They may of finished dead last last year, but they did finish with 10 points less than us this season...what they did last season is totally irrelavant.

Old
05-03-2008, 09:28 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
They may of finished dead last last year, but they did finish with 10 points less than us this season...what they did last season is totally irrelavant.
No it's not. They showed that they know what it takes to win and they went out and got the players to get it done. We didn't. End of story.

What makes it worse is it only took them a year to take care of it and we're still ass backwards 5-10 years in.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
No it's not. They showed that they know what it takes to win and they went out and got the players to get it done. We didn't. End of story.
Im really not in the mood to argue, so I guess we'll leave it at that

Old
05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office View Post
However, now that MTL has reclaimed its spot as an elite franchise and players around the league got to see what a gongshow this city, the Bell Centre and the fans turn into, I think MTL will become a much more attractive place for UFA's this summer and beyond.
Exactly. A year ago people were despairing over the state of the franchise. Now in polls the Habs are coming out as "Canada's team," "top building to play in," etc.

Kudos to the fans for making this season special. They showed the league how to support a franchise. I can't believe how positive things were.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:36 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Exactly. A year ago people were despairing over the state of the franchise. Now in polls the Habs are coming out as "Canada's team," "top building to play in," etc.

Kudos to the fans for making this season special. They showed the league how to support a franchise. I can't believe how positive things were.
Well put. At the beginning of the year I just wanted to see the Habs in the playoffs, add to that they won a playoff series and many of the young kids really matured and are turning into stars and this is the most excited i've ever been as a Habs fan.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:36 PM
CrisisInMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Yeah, the fan support was unreal, especially with all those youtube vids after big wins in Buffalo and Boston and all the fans taking over the concourse with chants. Definitely inspired me to plan a couple of roadies for next season.

There are some tools in our bunch, but really, we are the best fans. Hands down.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Show pride for a team that took 15 years to get to this point of getting ousted in 5 games to a team that a year ago finished DEAD LAST in the NHL?

Show all the pride you want for this organization... I happen to have standards.
Then take your standards and find a new team to cheer for....

We won't miss you.... I'm sure of it.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:58 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

If failure is what you cheer for, then I'm not about to stop you. But it's my right to point out the shortcomings of the Montreal Canadiens and if you don't like it then don't read it.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
gtfo.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zurg999

Quote:

What makes it worse is it only took them a year to take care of it and we're still ass backwards 5-10 years in.
I'm sorry right now for clearing my ignore list.

You need to build yourself a little perspective. Not considering this season a success a mistake.

You seem to me to be one of the those fans that are blinded by a sense of entitlement brought on by past success and our regular season record. The same guys who would favour trading away youth for a blind shot every season.

Get the aforementioned perspective and you'll be a lot happier. The young players mgmt decided to hang onto came up big tonight, in a bigger pressure cooker than you likely imagine.

Look forward to what they'll learn and do in future.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:
If failure is what you cheer for, then I'm not about to stop you. But it's my right to point out the shortcomings of the Montreal Canadiens and if you don't like it then don't read it.
29 teams fail every year than. thats fine but very narrow-minded view on things.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
29 teams fail every year than. thats fine but very narrow-minded view on things.
Finish first in the conference only to finish 5-7 in the playoffs against two teams that shouldn't even be able to compete with us given how long we've been rebuilding. That's pretty much the definition of a failure.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Rayne*

Bouillon was not the problem in this series by any stretch. If Kovalev had played all series like he did tonight, who knows how this series would've ended up by now.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
you know Montreal was a non playoff team too last year right.

Its not like they are that different from Philly.

Philly made shrewd trades and Montreal had good development.

I fail to see the point. Maybe there isn't and its another general *****ing and whining thread.
I agree. Plus they got so friggin lucky. Umberger probaly sold his soul to score some of these goals.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:09 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
It's going up very fast, but when it goes up too fast, it goes the other way just as fast...

Just wait till they lose Carter/Prospal/Smith this summer.
Carter most likely will be re-signed, Prospal was a replacement for Gagne and Smith's (3rd pairing defenseman for most of the time) main purpose was his leadership and shot-blocking ability and might be re-signed anyway.
There's a big chance Umberger leaves but he can be replaced with Downie.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beakermania*

Quote:
If you don't see the progress we are making... then you clearly know nothing about hockey or the way the NHL works today....

And trust me, if I could Ignore you, you'd be ignored.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Finish first in the conference only to finish 5-7 in the playoffs against two teams that shouldn't even be able to compete with us given how long we've been rebuilding. That's pretty much the definition of a failure.
Finishing 1st in the conference means nothing when you realize that the 8th position only finished with 10 points behind. We were not the Wings. We didn't finish with 24 points ahead.

Flyers finished with a whopping 9 points behind while we were 4-0 against them all year. Just put that to 2-2, and they finish 1 point behind....

If you're talking about that 15 years of rebuilding well I agree and not. Past management was not rebuilding, we were repatching and not well may I add. But clearly with this new management, this "rebuild" looks better than it never did. If we would have had that management around the Roy trade, we would not have had that many problems....Having said that Gainey is not perfect and he proved it this year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
losing period is the definition of failure. Whats your point exactly. Thus whoever didn't win the Cup is a failure.

Doesn't mean you still can't see progression unless you were so delusional that Montreal should go from missing the playoffs to winning the Cup in one year.

Maybe thats just it, you are delusional which seems to be going around tonight.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Agreed.I'm getting sick of those so-called fans waiting for opportunities to after return and suddenly and supposedly tell us the ''truth'' and whining about how the organization has failed,etc....

Hindsight is a great asset to use in this case.Unfortunately,it won't help to validate OP's arguments,which I would also add that the thread starter(BigTimer)has a notorious reputation ala clvmcs,YaBasta,you know,those people who only comment when it's tough to only bash and disappear after.We call them fairweather fans.

His posting history certainly proves my opinion.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 05-03-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:20 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
losing period is the definition of failure. Whats your point exactly. Thus whoever didn't win the Cup is a failure.

Doesn't mean you still can't see progression unless you were so delusional that Montreal should go from missing the playoffs to winning the Cup in one year.

Maybe thats just it, you are delusional which seems to be going around tonight.
Who were our workhorses? The only players who looked able to physically keep up with the Flyers were Smoke, Kosto, Begin, Lapierre, and Latendresse. That's not a good thing.

Where were our Umberger's? I mean christ did you see the build on that guy? Pacioretty = Umberger but given how long it will take for all our kids to develop, we're making a mistake not acquiring guys who are ready to step in and provide the type of presence that Umberger did.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:25 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Not our fault he didn't have the balls to become the face of the greatest franchise in sports.
Why would any superstar want to join here? He was booed all series long. I just can't see any superstar UFA wanting to play here because of the media, taxes, and fans. Honestly, if you were a player, would you rather not play where it is stress-free?

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Who were our workhorses? The only players who looked able to physically keep up with the Flyers were Smoke, Kosto, Begin, Lapierre, and Latendresse. That's not a good thing.
This explains it all. You weren't actually watching the games.

Of the 5 you mentioned Kostopoulos was the only workhorse and you fail to mention Koivu who was biggest Hab warrior in this series and was out battling Flyer defenseman every game.

Smoke had his moments as did Begin. Lappy was useless most of series except for after whistle crap and Latendresse barely played and when he did, couldn't even keep up most of time.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:30 PM
windycity

what's with all the dumb@ss threads tonight?

I'm as frustrated as the next guy but if anyone had told us before the season started that we'd win the Northeast and lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs, we'd consider that pretty good progress. Especially if the 1st round included beating the Ruins . . .

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:31 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Why would any superstar want to join here? He was booed all series long. I just can't see any superstar UFA wanting to play here because of the media, taxes, and fans. Honestly, if you were a player, would you rather not play where it is stress-free?
You know, the stress free argument doesnt work for me (not directed to you, but Im talking in general terms here). Any true competitor would thrive under the pressure that is Montreal. If a player can't perform because of the pressure, then I wouldnt want them here to begin with.

Sometimes, the player's character just doesnt fit