HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the Habs lacked to win...

Old
05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Each time we lose we ge the same bunch of people complaining about leadership. This is getting old.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Is that the same quote you put in every thread? How idiotic!

Halak or Huet wouldn't have stopped two deflected pucks of a shoulder and stick either...your placing blame on a kid that kept us in on a Briere break away and not talking about the turn over because of the last goal.

Shake your head, kiss your mom godd night and go to bed.
Halak from game 4 and the rest of the Habs from game 5 win this game very easily if you don't see that, then you're blind

Price only needed to be average for us to win tonight, he was awful

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:24 PM
KenAF

Montreal saw for the first time how Philadelphia plays from behind. They don't sit back as they do when they are ahead. This was the first game that actually resembled the games in the Philadelphia vs. Washington series. I'm not sure Montreal was prepared for their intensity.

As far as luck... You might lose one game due to luck or poor officiating, but you don't lose four that way. The Flyers created their own luck with traffic and grit. That's how they play and that's how they won all season long. Montreal improved in those areas today, but not quite enough to win.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:27 PM
j52

Goaltending was the difference, obviously. Carey Price is not Roy. In 1986, Roy stoned the Rangers in an overtime game, stopping 13 shots before the Habs scored on their one shot.
Price was built up by many as superman, but he is a rookie, who struggled in round
two. He has some learning to do, otherwise, he may be another Steve Penney.
It was a sad ending to the season. A veteran goalie may have made the difference, but, that was the team's decision.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:29 PM
CHareth

Good thread idea. Silly first post, however.

Guys like Koivu, Kostopoulous, Higgins, and Begin I thought showed great leadership on the ice. None of them has enough talent to win games by themselves and yet each of them still contributed on the score sheet.

Plekanec was right. He played like a girl. It must be an incredibly disappointing playoffs for him. I expect a lot more from him and both Kostitsyn brothers next year.

What the team lacked was what got it to first in the conference: the power play. It was shabby and terrible. I also think this young team lacked the mental toughness necessary to win. Next year should be better, but in the meantime, I am going to be pissed off and bored for at least the next 5 months.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Canadiens1958

Centers

Philly centers outplayed and outscored the Canadiens centers. In the series Philly centers ranked #'s 1-4, Montreal cebters ranked #'s 5-8.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:32 PM
tiredman

A better goalie performance, veterans and what we missed the most : A DEFENSIVE LINE. With a Radek Bonk in our lineup, we would have shutdown Umberger's line...

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
Goaltending was the difference, obviously. Carey Price is not Roy. In 1986, Roy stoned the Rangers in an overtime game, stopping 13 shots before the Habs scored on their one shot.
Price was built up by many as superman, but he is a rookie, who struggled in round
two. He has some learning to do, otherwise, he may be another Steve Penney.
It was a sad ending to the season. A veteran goalie may have made the difference, but, that was the team's decision.
Well Roy had some good players to help him. Larry Robinson. Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau for leadership and a young Chris Chelios and Ludwig the shot blocking machine.

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
I say we lacked punch on the PP, lacked the lucky bounces and lacked a big strong checker.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Masao

I think one of the Canadiens' problem is that they were just unable to finish. They had way too many scoring chances and were just unable to put the puck in.

Not that the Pens could beat the Panthers with Lemieux and Jagr in 96. But it's a question of balance.

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
BigM

I'd like to see some gritty third line forwards who can chip in offensively, and a solid hardnosed defensive defenceman - guys like Yvon Lambert, Mike McPhee and Craig Ludwig.

BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:41 PM
j52

Roy could win a game singlehandedly, and did in the 1986 series. The D didn't stop those 13 shots against the Rangers, he did. Price doesn't have the glove hand to be in the same class. He has to work on his game yet. That having been said, the management traded away the veteran, he didn't.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Le Gros Bill

Size - a player or two who can help diversify the way they score.

You can't rely on those beautiful, highlight reel plays all the time. Teams can figure that out quick if you play them every other night. You need guys who can muck it up well in front of the net and in the corners.

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
CrisisInMTL

I think we need a little more grit in our top 6 forwards, but I'm not sure where you would place it. It's not that the guys are that soft, they just need someone to show them how to dig down and take it to the next level. Our bottom 6 have enough grit.

I think we also need a real#4 defenceman. A proper partner for Hamrlik. Brisebois was serviceable, but he's not the answer. I'm not sure if we should go the UFA route for that or be patient and wait for OB or Gorges to fill that slot.

Tough decisions for Gainey and Carbo.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Lets not give some credit to a brilliant coaching staff who kept him in even after the 4-3 goal

I pretty much knew we were going to lose when I saw Price in the net to start the 3rd
This is the dumbest post I've ever seen.....

There was absolutely no chance to stop Upshall's goal.... You could've had Patrick Roy in his prime in net on that goal and it still would've went in.... and that was the only goal Price gave up in the third.

Seriously Dumb Post.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:45 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

There was absolutely no chance to stop Upshall's goal.... You could've had Patrick Roy in his prime in net on that goal and it still would've went in.... and that was the only goal Price gave up in the third.

Seriously Dumb Post.
You cant reason with irrational carbo hate...you know better

Old
05-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Turboflex*

Habs lacked clutch...

The killer instinct was missing from the Kostytsins, pleks, markov, Price. Markov was injured, and it will come with time for the younger guys. Not worried, just get rid of some softies like Streit and Smolenski.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:50 PM
bipolarhabfan

The series from my end:

1. Price was shaky all series long. Was outplayed by Biron.
2. No puck luck for the Habs. Too many posts and unfortunate goals by the Flyers. They buried their chances while we did not.
3. Size with speed. I think many of our players were tired after the Boston series. Moreover, this size would help in puck recovery, space in the neutral zone, in crashing the net, and screening goalies.
4. Experience.
5. Edit: Hunger. The Flyers seemed to have wanted it more. Hopefully this playoff ouster will be a blessing in disguise.

Please do not go crazy. We have a good team that is still a few pieces away from winning the Cup.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Gainey's error

Can we forgive Gainey for not making a move at the deadline, for the 3rd year in a row?

By his own admission he had no "plan B" to the Hossa deal. I can't help but imagine what adding a 2nd line rental might have done for this team in the playoffs.

Ok, you tried for Hossa, where was the backup plan? 2 years ago, when we lost to the Hurricanes - we were probably 1 player away from beating them. No move by Gainey. Last year, again a 2nd tier forward might have been needed for a playoff push.

And this year, you know what happened. Had he had a 2nd line player to replace Koivu during his injury, we might have finished off the Bruins sooner and would have a much easier time in this one.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Seriously Dumb Post.
Why do I keep getting called an idiot when I end up being right about everything ?

Anyways, I never blamed the last goal on Price, but I think starting a different goalie would have affected the confidence of the Flyers. If you're a Flyer player and you've seen Price give up the kind of goals he had on the 2nd, you gotta feel pretty confident to see him in the nets again. Seeing a much better goalie in Halak might have thrown them off. Not to say that it could have also affected our own player's.

Price played the 3rd after a god-awful 2nd and gave up the series-losing goal in a tie game. I don't see how I was wrong in my assertion that Halak would have given us a better chance to win.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
I say we lacked punch on the PP, lacked the lucky bounces and lacked a big strong checker.
Yup.
We carried the play most of this series.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
You cant reason with irrational carbo hate...you know better
It's like trying to argue with Creationists.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
SherbrookeW

Well...it looked good until it didn't. Hossa would have cost Higgins,et al. , and for a rental. Could Huet have won? Possibly -- but how long ago was it that there was a thread on these boards on which no one would trade Price for Crosby and Malkin combined? Hockey, she's a funny game, as the man said...

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
znk

That Latendress crossbar! ****!

Old
anarmandaleb

Yeah. I'm not buying this crap. I don't like to rent. I like contracts with players that can be built into sports dynasties.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote