HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT 2; Game 5 Philly @ Montreal

Old
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
The n00b King *

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
Condolences from all your buddies on the Sens board.

We still love you guys!
Thanks. If you're not being sarcastic, I just gained a lot of e-respect for you.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
MathMan

I mean, Umberger's shooting percentage against Montreal was over 40%.

FOURTY PERCENT.

That's not normal. That's not something sheer skill can get you. That's being touched by Hockey Gods' Grace.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Hab Shark
Better call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Our big players played a little weak. Mental lapses more than weakness along the boards, really.
Bouillon lazily passing that puck in the Habs zone behind the net to the Flyers without looking before the Upshall goal is still frying me. I know we could all go on and on about the "what ifs".

Great season for the Habs anyway! Carbo is my vote for coach of the year with this squad.

My poor born and raised Quebecoise wife is still crying, it's gonna take some kittens to change her mood.

Me, I'm gonna go drown myself in some....................

Hab Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Here's what scares me about this quote, that I'm sure is going to be repeated about 1000x now that season's over.

Kovalev is 35, and Koivu is 33. These guys are not getting any younger and there is nobody on the roster who can replace them. I don't think our window of opportunity is as large as many think it is.
They aren't getting younger, but they aren't slowing down either. We may not have anybody inside who can replace them, but we can always go outside the organization.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:07 PM
hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Toronto and Montreal both played a great season.
What?

hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:24 PM
saskbruin44*
Stanley Cup Champs

Send a message via ICQ to saskbruin44*
Being a proud Canadian, I have to say I'm disappointed that the habs let the whole country down by not being in the cup finals..

saskbruin44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
I just came back from watching the game with friends at my local bar... Tonight's game was just full of excitement.. (ups and downs). Price save on Briere's breakaway was a thing of beauty. Latendresse hitting the crossbar at the end of the game was unfortunate. Upshall scored the GWG with a beautiful deflection. Big props to the Flyers for winning this series and good luck to them in the next round.

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
I've never seen a team so lucky in the playoffs. The Flyers had every single bounce going their way. The game was very frustating with ups and downs, kinda like the whole playoffs in fact. Habs played hard and must be proud of what they did.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:38 PM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I've never seen a team so lucky in the playoffs. The Flyers had every single bounce going their way.
What you call "luck" the Philadelphia players call "skill."

Philadelphia is not a "puck possession" team. Their offense isn't setup to pass the puck back and forth in the other team's zone, so they will never control the puck as much as a team like Montreal. Philly does not score pretty goals with fancy passes that get the other team out of position. That's not the way they play. They are not a 'finesse' team.

Philadelphia's offense is built around traffic -- traffic around the other team's goalie -- and crashing the net. The majority of the Flyers' goals this season were scored by crashing the net. A high percentage of their goals this season were the very type that you saw in this series -- goals off screens, deflections, etc. That's why they had six different players with 20+ goals.

The goals only seem "lucky" to Habs fans because Montreal does not score a lot of those goals. To the Flyers and their fans, they are just typical, "everyday" goals.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
BigM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I mean, Umberger's shooting percentage against Montreal was over 40%.

FOURTY PERCENT.

That's not normal. That's not something sheer skill can get you. That's being touched by Hockey Gods' Grace.
Agreed.

From December 12 to April 22 - that's 4 full months plus the Philly-Washington series - Umberger scored fewer goals (7) than he did against us in 5 games!

His regular season shooting percentage was a terrible 7.5% - compared to 40% against the Habs this series. Ouch!

BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:18 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
What you call "luck" the Philadelphia players call "skill."
Yeah, so they do that a lot. Well, except in this series, they didn't. They just got a goal every time.

See, the downside of the traffic-in-front, tip the puck in approach is that like any approach, often it doesn't work. The puck gets tipped into the goalie, or off-target, or else it gets blocked by one of the bodies in front. While there's an element of skill to that, a lot of it is just plain luck, and you should only score on a given percentage of these chances -- the goal is to create enough of them that you generate enough goals.

The bottom line is, the Flyers scored on an inordinately high percentage of their chances and the Habs on an inordinately low percentage. Both percentages were far off from their normal, regular season pace. See Umberger's 40% shooting percentage for illustration.

Skill can account for some of that, but a discrepancy like that... you can look at things left, right, up and down to try to find an explanation, but you won't find one.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:58 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

you can beat a goalie

but you cant beat lady luck

i cant be disapointed with the habs and their effort because frankly, there was no way you could beat a team that was so incredibly lucky.

But i guess you need one of those every playoffs

And this year, it's Philly's turn.

They'll make the stanley cup finals.

You can count on that.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:45 AM
neelyforpresident

bruins fan here...as much as i hate you guys, you had a great season...hope to continue the rivalry for many years

neelyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:53 AM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
See, the downside of the traffic-in-front, tip the puck in approach is that like any approach, often it doesn't work. The puck gets tipped into the goalie, or off-target, or else it gets blocked by one of the bodies in front.

While there's an element of skill to that, a lot of it is just plain luck, and you should only score on a given percentage of these chances -- the goal is to create enough of them that you generate enough goals.

The bottom line is, the Flyers scored on an inordinately high percentage of their chances and the Habs on an inordinately low percentage. Both percentages were far off from their normal, regular season pace.
While I don't disagree with jist of your post, I would make several points.

The shots against goal do look one-sided, but the numbers are very comparable if you only count shots within 8' of the net. In the series, both teams had ~32 shots around the net. Philadelphia scored 11 of their goals in those 32 shots (that 11 goals includes shots taken elsewhere that were deflected in front of the net). Montreal racked up dozens more SOG from the perimeter.

The Flyers had 134 shots in this series and 20 goals, or 19 if you ignore the empty net. That's 26.8 shots per game and 3.8 goals per game, with a 14% shooting percentage. During the regular season, the Flyers averaged 32.5 shots and 2.99 goals per game, with a 9.2% shooting percentage.

During the Washington series, Stevens (Flyers coach) said one of the differences between the regular season and "playoff hockey" is that you take the physical game to the next level. He said the Flyers will do things in the playoffs that they wouldn't do during the regular season because of the higher risk of injury. That would account for some improvement over the regular season.

You've also got to account for the "softness" of Montreal. Much of the time, the Flyers were simply unchallenged around the Montreal crease. They had a player in front of Price on most possessions in the Montreal zone. Against more physical teams, the Flyers' have to fight for position around the crease which limits their ability to deflect shots and knock in rebounds. It's hard to purposely deflect a pass when you are in a shoving match with a defenseman, and it's much less difficult when you are left alone.

Beyond that, I would agree that Price let in a few 'soft' goals. But the screened shots were not 'soft' goals. On a few of those goals, we saw Price remain virtually still and then look behind at the net when the goal was scored, as if to say, "what happened?" You cannot expect a goalie to stop shots he cannot see due to a purposeful or accidental screen by other players. I suspect frustration over these goals [that Price could do nothing about] was one of the reasons why he let in a few 'soft' goals at other times.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:56 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbruin44 View Post
Being a proud Canadian, I have to say I'm disappointed that the habs let the whole country down by not being in the cup finals..
is this why all the comments on tsn.ca are ripping on us?

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote