HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Josh Gorges

Old
05-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Josh Gorges

For those following the Habs since a long time, or since Rivet got traded... I'd like to discuss about a young man by the name of Josh Gorges.

Since his coming to Montreal, he has become a much better player --- yes, you have heard it here first ladies and gentleman, I think Gorges is a great hockey player. I've always thought we would end up giving him up in UFA because he had no impact on the team whatsoever, but this 07-08 season has proved me wrong. I hope to see him playing for the Habs for a few more years (1-2 sounds reasonable, like a test drive of the new and improved Josh).

Here are my questions to you (speculation <3) :

Which player does Gorges remind you of :
Which player will Gorges mostly likely evolve into :
Was the trade for Gorges + 1st round for Rivet good :
Would you sign Gorges and for how many years :
Which line does he belong on :
In the past season, on 5 what would you rate his game :

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
For those following the Habs since a long time, or since Rivet got traded... I'd like to discuss about a young man by the name of Josh Gorges.

Since his coming to Montreal, he has become a much better player --- yes, you have heard it here first ladies and gentleman, I think Gorges is a great hockey player. I've always thought we would end up giving him up in UFA because he had no impact on the team whatsoever, but this 07-08 season has proved me wrong. I hope to see him playing for the Habs for a few more years (1-2 sounds reasonable, like a test drive of the new and improved Josh).

The Search function is your friend..... There must be 5 Josh Gorges Appreciation threads since Christmas. As for your questions

1) Josh Gorges
2) A number 4 defenceman
3) Outstanding deal... .Josh is better than Rivet was at the time of the trade, and Max Pac will be a great one.
4) Yes... I'd give him a three year deal
5) Same pair he is right now with Bouillion.... Weakest defenceman plays with Hammer.
6) 4/5

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The Search function is your friend..... There must be 5 Josh Gorges Appreciation threads since Christmas.
Georges for Norris thread have you seen it yet?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:02 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post

Stéphane Robidas : small guy with a lot of energy and hustle with an underrated physical game

Gorges really improved since his first couple of games with the Habs. At first he made a lot of mistakes and seemed pretty weak in the corners but now it's a whole different story : he works very hard and rarely makes mistakes.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Magic33

this guy was amazing for us. I think he is starting to get some credit for what he did for the Habs this season. One of our best players in the post season

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Turbo

My "dark horse" pick at the beginning of the season (as a player that could surprise) and he turned out even better than I expected.

Solid, plays with heart. Definitely a good trade and will become a mainstay on the blue line as a reliable bottom pairing guy.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Turboflex*

Gorges is a rock solid, smart and gutsy Dman. He's earned good minutes ont he habs' blue line, maybe his offensive game can develop with confidence and experience and he could even earn a PP spot eventually.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Megaforce

I didn't like his play on the Flyers third goal. He didn't chase the guy into the corner one bit. I usually like him but think that a bigger body, like apostrophe would have done better tonight.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Kirk Muller

Probably one if not Montreals most consistent defenseman in the playoffs which is a little sad and thats not to take anything away from Gorges.

Could potentially be a top 4 but most likely a 5. I think you saw a glaring need in Montreal in that Brisebois and Streit can't handle a top 4 role. Not that most didn't know this but needs to be addressed.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
anarmandaleb

I'm sorry. I have to. I can't stop myself.
Did you know Gorges was captain in Kelowna?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I didn't like his play on the Flyers third goal. He didn't chase the guy into the corner one bit. I usually like him but think that a bigger body, like apostrophe would have done better tonight.
i didn't like Hamrliks on that play more. He just watched Umberger wrap it in.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I'm sorry. I have to. I can't stop myself.
Did you know Gorges was captain in Kelowna?
Can someone fill me on that joke,

I know he was the captain, Im guessing certain people have been using that statment a little too much to defend his play or something?

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:15 PM
revin5*

I'm thinking Gorges will eventually replace Bouillon as the veteran anchor on the third pairing when Cube's contract is up. They play a similar game but Gorges is better behind the net while Bouillon has mastered guiding players into the boards along the blue line. Gorges seems to have a better first pass but less speed and both are equally clueless on the other side of center-ice.

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Can someone fill me on that joke,

I know he was the captain, Im guessing certain people have been using that statment a little too much to defend his play or something?
We had a thread about habs who were captains of other teams... and people would come in and not read the thread and post that Gorges was Captain of Kelowna....

then it became a big joke.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Gorges seems to have a better first pass but less speed and both are equally clueless on the other side of center-ice.
The difference is that Gorges still has potential to learn some offense while Bouillon is old and never will. His better passing ability shows some potential offensive instincts.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

He will score a regular season goal next year. Mark my words.

Long live Josh!

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:34 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
He was a rock back there.

He provided the much needed Defensive stability we needed...maybe next year he'll grow on his confidence from this yeah and chip in a bit more offensively

Old
05-04-2008, 09:51 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Really happy with his season and everything else has been said in this thread. He is going to be a good number 4 for years to come.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Prospector

Gorges was simply amazing during the playoffs. Our best D from my point of view.
Behind the net he was rock solid always finding a way to make a good first pass even with two guys on his back.
He pinched in the offensive zone a lot and always at a good moment, keeping a lot of plays alive. That's what surprised me the most.
We saw a couple of good slap shot from the point, his shot is surprisingly powerful!
He was probably the defenseman who made the fewest mistakes.

Sign this guy as soon as possible and at long-term, he can only get better!

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:25 AM
MonacoBlue

Gorges is a very good defenseman and extremely underappreciated by some because he doesn't make any big hits or score a lot of points. If you want him, however, you can just see how solid fundamentally he is and the passion that he plays with. If only some of the other guys on the team would play as hard consistently as he does, then our team would be unstoppable. After watching the Wings destroy Colorado, it just goes to show how important the fundamentals are, work ethic being a part of this. Josh already plays like a Wing; it's up to the others to follow.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Beakermania*

Did you guys know he was Captain of the Memorial Cup Champion Kelowna Rockets??

Old
05-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Did you guys know he was Captain of the Memorial Cup Champion Kelowna Rockets??

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:42 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
We had a thread about habs who were captains of other teams... and people would come in and not read the thread and post that Gorges was Captain of Kelowna....

then it became a big joke.
You forgot to mention that it was 894575636221 people that came in, did not read the rest of the thread and post that Gorges was captain of his Kelowna team.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Corey

I assume the Habs knew what they were doing when they got Gorges in the trade with San Jose. If they thought he was bad, they wouldn't have asked for more than the first rounder. Presumably the Sharks didn't insist on including him in the deal to reduce their payroll, since he wasn't making much money. He turned out to be a far better acquisition than Niinimaa.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Habitants

yup i always thought this kid was ok, i like his atitude, and he is pretty solid. he is young and inexpensive, so i am happy to have him on the team. he has progressed well!

dont have answers for the first 2..
Which player does Gorges remind you of : -
Which player will Gorges mostly likely evolve into : -
Was the trade for Gorges + 1st round for Rivet good : TOTALY!
Would you sign Gorges and for how many years : sign him for 2 now, and then see how it goes, but i think he is solid, so i would take him for longer after that likely
Which line does he belong on : well ideally if you have good depth he would be on the bottom pairing D line for now, and if he can continue to improve he might be a top 4 D
In the past season, on 5 what would you rate his game : 4

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote