HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What the Habs lacked to win...

Old
05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Bermy

vCash: 500
rental trades are overrated. Not worth risking young players, especially in the salary cap era of NHL

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Magic33

Ya we can, i dont think one veteran player would have made a huge difference among a bunch of rookies.

However i do think that he has some work to do this summer. No team is perfect, as we showed, and one can always improve his team in the off season, which i expect gainey to do.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:57 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
It's like trying to argue with Creationists.
*shivers*

Old
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
In hindsight I'm still pleased with what Gainey did at the deadline, maybe more so.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
Can we forgive Gainey for not making a move at the deadline, for the 3rd year in a row?

By his own admission he had no "plan B" to the Hossa deal. I can't help but imagine what adding a 2nd line rental might have done for this team in the playoffs.

Ok, you tried for Hossa, where was the backup plan? 2 years ago, when we lost to the Hurricanes - we were probably 1 player away from beating them. No move by Gainey. Last year, again a 2nd tier forward might have been needed for a playoff push.

And this year, you know what happened. Had he had a 2nd line player to replace Koivu during his injury, we might have finished off the Bruins sooner and would have a much easier time in this one.
Calme-to Jacques

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:58 PM
llamateizer

no gainey did the right thing

he didnt sacrificed a player for a rental

there will be 29 bad GM at the end of the season

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
znk

We could have lost in the first round...or in the second and wonder why the hell we traded our prospects for a rental that didnt help.

It's not an error. It's a decision that you disagree with. It doesent make it an error.

His error was making this team this good this fast and getting people to hyped up to realize what's going on.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rayne*

Umberger is this year's Fernando Pisani. If Philly makes it to the finals, he'll get a lot of Conn Smythe consideration.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dlandry77

Quote:
Can we forgive Gainey for not making a move at the deadline, for the 3rd year in a row?

By his own admission he had no "plan B" to the Hossa deal. I can't help but imagine what adding a 2nd line rental might have done for this team in the playoffs.

Ok, you tried for Hossa, where was the backup plan? 2 years ago, when we lost to the Hurricanes - we were probably 1 player away from beating them. No move by Gainey. Last year, again a 2nd tier forward might have been needed for a playoff push.

And this year, you know what happened. Had he had a 2nd line player to replace Koivu during his injury, we might have finished off the Bruins sooner and would have a much easier time in this one.
I did not mind standing still after the deadline. If we kept Huet though it might have worked out better. Hard to say beause you can not predict the future but If we kept Huet it could have helped. Lean on both goalies.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:59 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Uh... there's nothing to forgive. There's no error.

He tried to get Hossa... Then Pittsburgh overpaid.

Quote:
By his own admission he had no "plan B" to the Hossa deal.
There was no player out of the same quality and no hole to fill. A "2nd line rental" would have been pretty much confined to the fourth line really. Maybe if he was a center.

But he was just as likely to mess up team chemistry which was what got the Habs where they were in the first place.

There was no point to a backup plan, and even if there was one, Gainey had absolutely no time to implement it. The Pens swooped in at the last minute leaving him with no time to react.

Gainey did inquire about Havlat once the Thrashers took the Pens' offer, anyay, but the cost was much too high.

There was no error by Gainey. He needed an impact player and had enough 2nd line players. He tried and failed. If anything, he is to be commended for not overpaying for Hossa.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:59 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Well...it looked good until it didn't. Hossa would have cost Higgins,et al. , and for a rental. Could Huet have won? Possibly -- but how long ago was it that there was a thread on these boards on which no one would trade Price for Crosby and Malkin combined? Hockey, she's a funny game, as the man said...
i wouldnt trade crosby and malkin for price either

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Carey Chant

I'm kinda questioning the Huet trade though. Huet may not be the best goalie in the playoffs but he may have been good enough to make key stops to win some games against the Flyers.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:00 PM
CPrice

We lacked
Grit and size.
Look at every remaining team and this is something they all have.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
oli500

The bad luck we had in this series comes down to experience. The youth of this team was a huge factor down the strech. Leadership was there because we fought and fought every minut of this series. It's not like the flyers out played us. We always fought back and made it a game after we gave up a lead. I was impressed with the way montreal kept fighting back even in game 5. Having a 3-1 lead to see it go to waste would of really put any team down. We still came back and made it a game once again. We cant blame this team for not trying. At the end of the day experience had a huge role. It's so important to score the first goal in the playoffs and we just could not get over the hump until tonight. Are young players will have gained a tremoundus amount of experience from this and im sure that the habs will be up to the challenge next year.

Quote:
I'm kinda questioning the Huet trade though. Huet may not be the best goalie in the playoffs but he may have been good enough to make key stops to win some games against the Flyers
Huet played these same flyers in round one. He did just as bad as price did. Give up a huge amount of goals in the first couple of games.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Kirk Muller

What we we didn't lack is an over-abundance of fans whose expectations were so high for such a young team that anything short of the Stanley Cup was a failure.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:05 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
We lacked
Grit and size.
Look at every remaining team and this is something they all have.
Yet we NEVER learn.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Price played the 3rd after a god-awful 2nd and gave up the series-losing goal in a tie game. I don't see how I was wrong in my assertion that Halak would have given us a better chance to win.
YOU ARE WRONG cause there is no goalie in the world who would've stopped that goal. You are saying if we played a different goalie in the third we would win... I say no.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Dynasty

Quite simple really...a combination of bad coaching and too many players with a lack of heart and desire.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Luck. 1 Bounce here and there and we're the ones celebrating right now.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Megaforce

1-Luck
2-Grabbo.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:14 PM
JrHockeyFan

We needed to score more goals. Any way possible. That's it

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:15 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Why do I keep getting called an idiot when I end up being right about everything ?
I missed it; what were you right about again? Imagining the Habs winning after starting Halak in the 3rd? Predicting they wouldn't win the cup? Or that you'd rise again like pond scum to join Big Timer as the most irritatingly negative pairing on the board?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:15 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
YOU ARE WRONG cause there is no goalie in the world who would've stopped that goal. You are saying if we played a different goalie in the third we would win... I say no.
Man. What goalie could stop a tip in winner like that? Has he been born yet?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:16 PM
CPrice

I want to see Gainey make some trades this Summer, or pick up some UFA's. I know his record says otherwise, but we need to add some things and I think we'll have the cap space to do so.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Quite simple really...a combination of bad coaching and too many players with a lack of heart and desire.
Coaching i agree. Carbs was completely out-coached in both rounds.

The lack of heart and desire is more difficult. The kostitsyns i believe it was their first NHL playoff experience and didn't play poorly. Andrei did lack jam and it showed. Sergei was similar to Koivu and never backed down.

Pleks and Higgins were both in their second playoffs i think and imo, for the most part very disappointed in their lack of intensity especially Higgins whose supposed to be a leader.

A guy like Kovalev is more noticeable who is a veteran. He didn't play poorly however do i think he gave it his all, not at all. Too many plays he gave up on or was weak on. Just too many to tell me he gave a playoff warrior effort.

Markov was disappointing too. Injury it seems but at this point its just speculation.

I think the problem lies with inexperience and the lack of passion of the key veterans on the team. Kostopoulos, Begin, and Smolinski brought their lunch buckets and worked their butts off.

In playoffs you just can't have 4 out of your top 6 only bringing 50% of the time.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote