HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey???

Old
05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
IHMO if we kept Huet, we wouldn't have finished 1st in the conference.

Big deal, finishing first during the regular season means nothing...The real season is the playoffs and we're still only a marginal team at best for the playoffs.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Why has Bob Gainey been let off so easy, when he was the person responsible for derailing the Habs Cup run? Leaving playoff goaltending to two rookie goalies is a recipe for disaster. If Huet stayed, just his presence would have taken tremendous pressure of Price. Instead of the go to guy, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, the pressure would be on Huet and then Price could develop at a sensible pace.

The comparisons to Roy and Dryden are unfair and only heightened fan expectation and hence the pressure on Price. There is only one Patrick Roy and one Ken Dryden. While Price may yet turn out to be a solid goalie, he is not in the class of the Roy's of the world and now may have irrepairable damage done to his confidence.

The one to blame for this is Bob Gainey.

This thread in particular gives me the opportunity to add some people on the ignore list.Enough of this hindsight and I told you so crap.Fairweather fans....

You'll be the first.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 05-03-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

It has to work both ways guys.

Gainey was praised for removing Halak from the Dogs net and putting Price in there. He now has to be criticize for removing Huet from it and giving it to Price this time and only for these playoffs.

'Cause now it remains to be seen the effect it will have for the future. If it's what it takes to have a formidable goalie for the next 10 years and a clutch one in the playoffs, well I'll take that loss and that trade.

Until then.....needless to say that only with a fine goalie, we would've faced the Pens. We didn't need a goalie to stand on his head during this series. Just a more consistent goalie would've been enough....We had a young team, the other goalie was pretty popular and had that veteran presence that a young team needs.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:48 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Huet finished the season 32-14-6 How the **** does that not equal playoffs?

Please remove head from ass before posting this garbage.
i should've told you that it was with the habs.

missing the playoff (last year)
losing 1st round (2 years ago)

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Huet finished the season 32-14-6 How the **** does that not equal playoffs?

Please remove head from ass before posting this garbage.
I really like this...you put him in his place real good.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:51 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
I really like this...you put him in his place real good.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Beakermania*

I will repeat this again..... HUET HAS NEVER WON A SINGLE CLUTCH GAME IN HIS LIFE..... NEVER.

2006 vs Devils to clinch a playoff spot... Habs blow a big lead, back in to playoffs on help from the Caps
2006 game 3, given the lead, he loses the game (would've been the canes nail in the coffin)
2006 loses Game 6 in OT to the Canes
2007 Game 82 vs the Leafs.... Loss
2008 everytime we had a chance to pass the sens for first place he lost
2008 loses game 7 to the Flyers.

End of story.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Hermamoud

Everybody says that Price doesn't have experience in the playoffs. However, how can he have experience in the playoffs if he's number 2 and doesn't play?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Huet wouldnt have gotten us out of the 1st round

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
Huet wouldnt have gotten us out of the 1st round
Thats so very true...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post

Yes trading Huet two years ago would have really helped us. Kovalev wouldn't have sucked nearly as hard last year and Koivu wouldn't have gotten his eye injury against Carolina!

Hah take that Washington!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well if you look at Huet's stats, you'll see that it is amazingly better with the 8th place Caps than the 1st place Habs. Go figure.
so, the caps were now the favourite to win the cup in the east ? and huet again chocked in the playoffs ? is that what you're implying?

huet did better in his series than price did in the flyers series. the flyers fans said it too. and the numbers prove it too. be rational. there's very good chances huet would have done a better job than price since carey did a very poor job.

now, that doesn't mean we would have beaten the flyers but it's a team game and the team also was very bad.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
By Gainey's words, he decided to trade Huet 'cause he thought Price would do a better job in the playoffs. Clearly, the kid said that he was fatigued mentally and wasn't ready for the challenge. Meaning Gainey made a mistake, 'cause the kid wasn't ready for that challenge.

How come is so problematic to admit he made a mistake while ALL the team coaches from Melanson to the video coach to the water boy have had their share of blame...............

We will move on and Price might become better 'cause of that experience, but as far as building a team to go far THIS year, evidently, we didn't 'cause we are not.
I am not convinced having Huet in net would make a difference in this series. And I don't think the Habs can win the cup this year (although I expect them to go 1 more round).
So by trading Huet, Habs get a second rounder and experience to your franchise goalie. What did they lose? I can't figure that out...

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I will repeat this again..... HUET HAS NEVER WON A SINGLE CLUTCH GAME IN HIS LIFE..... NEVER.

2006 vs Devils to clinch a playoff spot... Habs blow a big lead, back in to playoffs on help from the Caps
2006 game 3, given the lead, he loses the game (would've been the canes nail in the coffin)

End of story.
i totally agree with you
but the only important win that i give him is the game 82 against the panthers .

for the rest. nothing impressing

Old
05-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Dynasty

Quote:

End of story.
Way too simplied thinking...maybe the team playing in front of him might have something to do with this??

Old
05-03-2008, 11:01 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:

End of story.

DIdn't he win a couple of elimination games against Philly? Pretty sure THAT series went 7.

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:01 PM
MM425

Gainey
Carbo
Price
Sarah Jessica Parker
SpongeBob Square Pants

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Turbo

So Huet would have won the Habs the Cup????

Because otherwise who gives a flying **** whether we had him for this playoff run. He was to be gone before next year anyway.

I'd rather give the experience to Price for the future of the team.

Huet - 33 years old, never won a playoff series, never played beyond round 1 of the playoffs.

Price - 20 years old, won playoff series, played in round 2 in his first attempt.

Some people here are really dense.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:04 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoradamwest View Post
DIdn't he win a couple of elimination games against Philly? Pretty sure THAT series went 7.
Oddly enough The caps won the first game of that series only to let the flyers win the next three. But then a strange thing happened, Huet allowed only 2 goals in the next 2 games whereas Price let in 5 in the most important game of the year.

Face it Huet got the Caps to a game seven and Price folded like a house of cards. Then in fricken OT the flyers get a powerplay and end it for the Caps.

Right now Washington is laughing at us, they got a top tier goalie for chicken scratch.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:05 PM
number 11

art vandelay

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:06 PM
tiredman

Quote:

End of story.
that's ridiculous. i could make a list of clutch games that patrick roy hasn't won too. and say "LOOK. HE'S A CHOCKER. HE HASN'T WON THESE GAMES".

but you have to understand and admit that Huet had a very different path to make the NHL. he was drafted by one of the worst team of the league, did well enough to receive a contract. had a good season with the kings, was traded to montreal to be the backup; played good enough to become the #1; gave us a 6 game series against the stanley cup chapions in which he was very good; did very well last season and was even invited to the all star game; got injured and was put into the last game against the leafs after missing weeks of play. then played good enough to be nominated defensive player of the month and then was traded to a team who had a long way to make the playoffs and lead them to the playoffs and gave them a 7 games series that they lost. after all the things the guy went though, you're trying to make me believe the guy is a chocker. get a clue.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoradamwest View Post

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how some people refuse to look at things with an objective mind when they're trying to push their own agenda...just like the agenda against Ryder on here...But more to your point here, these were indeed very huge wins in a do or die situation.

Old
05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
that's ridiculous. i could make a list of clutch games that patrick roy hasn't won too. and say "LOOK. HE'S A CHOCKER. HE HASN'T WON THESE GAMES".

but you have to understand and admit that Huet had a very different path to make the NHL. he was drafted by one of the worst team of the league, did well enough to receive a contract. had a good season with the kings, was traded to montreal to be the backup; played good enough to become the #1; gave us a 6 game series against the stanley cup chapions in which he was very good; did very well last season and was even invited to the all star game; got injured and was put into the last game against the leafs after missing weeks of play. then played good enough to be nominated defensive player of the month and then was traded to a team who had a long way to make the playoffs and lead them to the playoffs and gave them a 7 games series that they lost. after all the things the guy went though, you're trying to make me believe the guy is a chocker. get a clue.
What about Luongo? He never win anything in his career. World Junior? He choked. What about his days in NYI and Florida? O.. even in Vancouver!

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
znk

Is this the offical "I'm a whiner/I told you so" thread? If not...make it official so I only have to ignore one thread.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post

Yeah but I could make a list of games Roy won to counter that... You can't with Huet. You have maybe three games... the panther game... and the game 5 and 6.... I can come up with a much bigger list for Carey Price.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote