HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey???

Old
05-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Oddly enough The caps won the first game of that series only to let the flyers win the next three. But then a strange thing happened, Huet allowed only 2 goals in the next 2 games whereas Price let in 5 in the most important game of the year.

Face it Huet got the Caps to a game seven and Price folded like a house of cards. Then in fricken OT the flyers get a powerplay and end it for the Caps.

Right now Washington is laughing at us, they got a top tier goalie for chicken scratch.

Yeah, goes back to Gainey's brilliant move!

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Why has Bob Gainey been let off so easy, when he was the person responsible for derailing the Habs Cup run? Leaving playoff goaltending to two rookie goalies is a recipe for disaster. If Huet stayed, just his presence would have taken tremendous pressure of Price. Instead of the go to guy, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, the pressure would be on Huet and then Price could develop at a sensible pace.

The comparisons to Roy and Dryden are unfair and only heightened fan expectation and hence the pressure on Price. There is only one Patrick Roy and one Ken Dryden. While Price may yet turn out to be a solid goalie, he is not in the class of the Roy's of the world and now may have irrepairable damage done to his confidence.

The one to blame for this is Bob Gainey.
Oh man, not another new user like that

If we would have been a bit lucky, and if we would have converted 1/4 of our scoring chances, we would have won the series...now get real, and don't blame Gainey, who give us a conference title in regular season for god sakes!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:13 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

as of today,

Huet NHL playoff experience : 13 games.
Price NHL playoff experience : 12 games.

thank you.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:14 PM
JohnnyB11

I really don't think goaltending lost us the series anyways. Price didn't play terribly, and he made some big stops. What had more to do with the Habs losing was the fact they hit a post/crossbar about 20 times this series, and couldn't seem to execute offensively in both the first and second rounds as well as they had been in the regular season. Missed passes, missed open nets, and bad breaks - a ton of which came against a Philly team that seemed to catch all the bounces.

Trying to pin this on Gainey for dealing Huet? Come on... Price didn't wet the bed out there. And don't bother trying to blame Carbo either. Gainey and Carbo weren't out there on the ice.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:14 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

one of the worst trades I;ve ever seen in my life.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly guys.....if Carbo can be bashed and if the majority of players can be as well, I really don't know why Gainey wouldn't be. Sure we had a hell of a season. What the majority of fans are forgetting to add is that we owe a big thank you to Huet for that season, you know the goalie who did, in the end, ended up winning his share of games while Carey wasn't ready too much.

The same Huet who played a big factor in Caps great comeback for the playoffs, the same guy who was 1 goal away from making the 2nd round and the same guy we used to appreciated.....until he's traded when he suddenly becomes a subpar goalie....

By Gainey's words, he decided to trade Huet 'cause he thought Price would do a better job in the playoffs. Clearly, the kid said that he was fatigued mentally and wasn't ready for the challenge. Meaning Gainey made a mistake, 'cause the kid wasn't ready for that challenge.

How come is so problematic to admit he made a mistake while ALL the team coaches from Melanson to the video coach to the water boy have had their share of blame...............

We will move on and Price might become better 'cause of that experience, but as far as building a team to go far THIS year, evidently, we didn't 'cause we are not.
The thing is, I don't know if we would have done as well with the constant goalie controversy keeping Huet and Price for the playoffs would entail. I think it would cause needless mental strains on both netminders. Who would have started the playoffs?

If I recall correctly, Huet was in a bit of a slump before the deadline. In his last 8 games as a Habs, he gave up 5 goals three times, 3 goals another three times and won only 3 times. There was a sense that the team in fact no longer had confidence in him.

I don't think it would have made any positive difference had we kept Huet to be honest. Huet won 21 games and lost, regualtion + ot/so, 18 games. While Price won 24 and lost, regulation + ot/so, 15 games. What that win/loss record tells me is that the Habs played better with Price in net than Huet. When Huet gets traded to the Caps, suddenly he plays like a star goalie again. He goes 11-2-0 with MUCH better stats than he had with the Habs. Did he just need a change of scenery or does he play better with the Caps style of play?

The thing is we will never know what would have happened had we kept Huet. Would Huet had been as good as he was with the Caps or would he have been as average as he looked for that month of February. I honestly think he couldn't handle being in a 1a/1b situation.

Just my 2 cents.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Preach

wow lol. to think huet would've been any better than price is just laughable. i mean, huet only had ovechkin, semin, backstrom, fedorov, and mike green playing great in front of him... MTL on the other hand, well.. all series long and even dating back to the last few games vs. Boston, the entire team was running around with their sticks between their legs, especially the back end... did they even show up during this series? markov, streit.. hello? only a few habs showed up on a consistent basis.. Kovalev (barely), Koivu.. and they aren't no Ovechkins.

The habs were soft and just didn't show up.. this loss is solely on the Montreal Canadiens team as a WHOLE.

Preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Covenant

I appreciate the fans who have some intelligence and analytical skills. Unfortunately most posters on this site possess neither.

The point is that Price could have started in the playoffs, without the weight of the world on his shoulders, if Huet was there to bail him out if needs be. With a veteren behind him it would have given him a comfort level. However, when he slipped there was only another raw rookie to replace him. This kept the focus on Price and may have compounded his problem.

If Huet was there the pressure would have shifted to Huet and taken the spotlight of Price. In the meantime Price would have gained some playoff experience and came into next season and next years playoffs with some playoff games under his belt and not with the horror memories of this playoff. Confidence is a big thing, especially for a goalie and you have to bring young goalies in particular along at the right pace and not in any way hurt their confidence at a young age. Price was not given this benefit because he was thrust into a situation he was clearly not ready for with no veteran to pick him up when he stumbled.

For this, Bob Gainey has to be held accountable.

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
as of today,

Huet NHL playoff experience : 13 games.
Price NHL playoff experience : 12 games.

thank you.
Dont forget to add the age difference and the number of season each has played in the NHL

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not if Carbo would have decided to OPENLY made Price his #1 goalie and only bring Huet if terribly needed.
What were the chances of that happening. I think Huet would have still been deemed the #1.

Old
05-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
So Huet would have won the Habs the Cup????

Because otherwise who gives a flying **** whether we had him for this playoff run. He was to be gone before next year anyway.

I'd rather give the experience to Price for the future of the team.

Huet - 33 years old, never won a playoff series, never played beyond round 1 of the playoffs.

Price - 20 years old, won playoff series, played in round 2 in his first attempt.

Some people here are really dense.
Hold on a minute here buddy...This experience factor comes with a very high risk of having Price having his confidence shattered thus could set him back many years (and in worst case situation, forever) in his development. Personnally, I think he looks like a goalie that has lost his confidence big time...looked really lost out there pretty much the whole series.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:22 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I can come up with a much bigger list for Carey Price.
what list ? the WJC ? please... team Canada are the favourite team every years. not to mention huet has far less chances to win anything with team france...

so, you would only have the calder cup of last season that is interesting. but that doesn't mean **** in the nhl.

so, what did carey price win in the nhl ? nothing.

btw, i think price will be an excellent goalie in the future. i just don't like posts like "huet is a chocker" and stuff like that. when he was with our team, almost everyone apprectied him and now that he's gone, many of these same people spit on him.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
I appreciate the fans who have some intelligence and analytical skills. Unfortunately most posters on this site possess neither.

The point is that Price could have started in the playoffs, without the weight of the world on his shoulders, if Huet was there to bail him out if needs be. With a veteren behind him it would have given him a comfort level. However, when he slipped there was only another raw rookie to replace him. This kept the focus on Price and may have compounded his problem.

If Huet was there the pressure would have shifted to Huet and taken the spotlight of Price. In the meantime Price would have gained some playoff experience and came into next season and next years playoffs with some playoff games under his belt and not with the horror memories of this playoff. Confidence is a big thing, especially for a goalie and you have to bring young goalies in particular along at the right pace and not in any way hurt their confidence at a young age. Price was not given this benefit because he was thrust into a situation he was clearly not ready for with no veteran to pick him up when he stumbled.

Wouldn't having a veteran who can easily replace you if you are mediocre add more pressure on your shoulders. Instead of thinking 'alright just 1 bad goal, I'll bounce back' he'll be thinking 'damn now will I start next game?'

Old
05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Hold on a minute here buddy...This experience factor comes with a very high risk of having Price having his confidence shattered thus could set him back many years (and in worst case situation, forever) in his development. Personnally, I think he looks like a goalie that has lost his confidence big time...looked really lost out there pretty much the whole series.
if he react like this. he'd be a bust...

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senators Fan 1 View Post
So can we officialy say that Carey Price was overrated?

He's a tremendous goalie but... don't compare him to Roy and Dryden
Nope. Comparisons to Roy & Dryden weren't fair to begin with.

Price is exactly where he should be as a 20 year old and he's way ahead most young goalies. He definitely still has great superstar potential and still the #1 goaltending prospect in the NHL.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:24 PM
BigTimer*

That trade was a no brainer...

I mean sure Huet is an award winning all-star...

But a late second rounder two years down the road could be anything. It could even be an award winning all-star.

[/end Peter Gainey errr Griffin]

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

No, I think you got it all wrong. It would have been worst for Price if he would have started in the playoffs with Huet as a backup, because he would have know that Huet could have replaced him for the rest of the playoffs in case of one or two bad game in a row. Sure he had pressure, but every goaltender in Montreal have that!

And like I said, don't blame Gainey or Price. We were not able to put the puck in the net even if we were better than the Flyers. THAT COST US THE SERIES!!!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Gainey isn't losing sleep over the Huet deal...that's the only certainty we know

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Preach

Quote:

who are you, carey price's goalie coach? carey price's shrink?

the kid has already built a rep of possessing mental toughness.

it was obvious that he was fighting the puck throughout the series, in particular his glove hand & side .. TECHNICAL ASPECTS that can be fixed as a young goalie gains more experience and works on his game.

just because your confidence in him may be shattered doesn't mean his is, or will be.

Preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:27 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach View Post

who are you, carey price's goalie coach? carey price's shrink?

the kid has already built a rep of possessing mental toughness.

it was obvious that he was fighting the puck throughout the series, in particular his glove hand & side .. TECHNICAL ASPECTS that can be fixed as a young goalie gains more experience and works on his game.

just because your confidence in him may be shattered doesn't mean his is, or will be.
Did he build that rep by crying in the dressing room less than 6 months ago after losing a regular season game?

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:28 PM
znk

Quote:
Brodeur went through the same thing when he started. And if Price cant get over this....then he would never have been a top goalie.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Habs

The real question is ...

Is this BG's team.. or Trevor Timmins? Most of BG's trades have been disasters.. Timmins drafts the talent.

I mean.. Bob's job should be to build a contender around the talent Timmins finds for him in the draft. Trevor is doing his job.. Bob didn't do anything to compliment his work.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
what list ? the WJC ? please... team Canada are the favourite team every years. not to mention huet has far less chances to win anything with team france...

so, you would only have the calder cup of last season that is interesting. but that doesn't mean **** in the nhl.

so, what did carey price win in the nhl ? nothing.

btw, i think price will be an excellent goalie in the future. i just don't like posts like "huet is a chocker" and stuff like that. when he was with our team, almost everyone apprectied him and now that he's gone, many of these same people spit on him.
If you don't think the semi final vs USA and the final of the WJC vs Russia were Clutch games; then I'm not gonna bother even arguing this anymore after this post cause you obviously have no idea what I'm talking about when i say big pressure clutch goaltending.

Oh and how bout Game 7 vs the Bruins (winning a playoff round, something HUET has never done).... How bout gme 4 vs the bruins a 1-0 shutout.... how bout the Calder Cup?? How bout games down the stretch... a shutout against Ottawa to clinch the Division.... Games we needed to win to catch Pittsburgh.

The Huet played for France isn't an excuse... the fact that he never got into clutch games is actually a detriment... you only learn how to win by playing in these types of pressure situations.

We have given Price great experience this year, and it will only help down the road.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:31 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:

Who's to say Huet would have provided Price with soime sort of comfort level? Price played his best hockey once Huet was dealt. And I'd have to say that there was more focus on Halak during game 4 than on Price. After all, Halak was in net for that game. Stating that having Huet around instead of Halak would have somehow given Price more confidence is hearsay.

Price has been in high pressure situations before, nd I don;t recall him needing some kind of security blanket to cuddle into when times are tough. Price is a competitor, and is gonna be a great goaltender in Montreal for years to come. And for you to comment on how a young goalie has to be brought along at a pace that Price wasn't is hilarious. Maybe you should apply for the Habs goalie coach, sounds like you REALLY have a handle on how to coach NHL goalies.

How can you say Carey Price was clearly not ready for the pressure of the NHL playoffs. Did you see the saves he made? Did you see the goals scored on him? Alot of them were insane. It's not like he couldn't stop the puck. Yes, he made some rookie mistakes when handling the puck but HE'S A ROOKIE. The experience he gained from this will be invaluable to him, I can't believe you think this is going to ruin his career. Cut the drama, please. Carey Price is better than that. And it was nce to see the fans at the Bell Center rally behind him too - that's only gonna increase his resolve for next season.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:32 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Why has Bob Gainey been let off so easy, when he was the person responsible for derailing the Habs Cup run? Leaving playoff goaltending to two rookie goalies is a recipe for disaster. If Huet stayed, just his presence would have taken tremendous pressure of Price. Instead of the go to guy, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, the pressure would be on Huet and then Price could develop at a sensible pace.

The comparisons to Roy and Dryden are unfair and only heightened fan expectation and hence the pressure on Price. There is only one Patrick Roy and one Ken Dryden. While Price may yet turn out to be a solid goalie, he is not in the class of the Roy's of the world and now may have irrepairable damage done to his confidence.

The one to blame for this is Bob Gainey.
It was exactly what any responsible GM would have done because Huet was not going to get resigned and we got something for him. Add to that: Price got valuable playoff experience, two shutouts and an idea of what to expect next year.

He's not in Roy's class?? From what I've seen he may be the greatest goalie this team has ever had. Seriously, the kid has more potential than Roy ever had. Look at what he did and get over the fact they lost. Who cares? The upside of this team next year with this group is so positive that any fan that is disappointed needs to evaluate his expectations. Next year is our year not this one.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-03-2008 at 11:46 PM.
RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote