HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the Habs lacked to win...

Old
05-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Stephen Locke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Each time we lose we ge the same bunch of people complaining about leadership. This is getting old.
The concept of ''leadership'',especially in high-pressure situations like the NHL playoffs,is vague and you can't really define it.It's easy to say,it looks good but there are different ways to value,''quantify'' or define ''leadership''.I don't think most casual fans can formulate exactly what ''leadership'' is.They probably think that a ''leader'' is a guy like Messier in 1994.Leadership(especially the ''rahrah type speeches ala Messier or in ''NFL movies'' style is at times overrated in my opinion,or overstated.Leading by example and stepping up is underrated though.I don't think the Habs fans will say to me that the Habs lost because Koivu sucked as a ''leader'' and didn't show up when it counted in the playoffs.They would be hypocrites then.

When we win,for some people it's because the team has supposedly leadership.When we lose,the team has no leadership.It's probably the mindset that the OP had when creating this thread.As a person who've observed this series,I don't think ''leadership'' had an impact on the loss.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:20 AM
SOLR

What this team lacked? Experience. Simple enough?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
We lack Bell Centre icegirls.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Rapmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
We lack Bell Centre icegirls.
We have multiple Youppies

Rapmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:53 AM
One Trick Pony

Souray on the PP

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Halak would have won us this game
Hard to imagine Halak being as shaky as Price if he had played the whole series.

Carey has a been major bust in this series

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:18 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Hossa-Chipchura-Gorges was captain in Kelowna.. Simple enough?

Experience.. Goaltending... Yeah, coaching (but that falls under experience for me).

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Guillemin

Coaching.

What we needed was someone who wasn't afraid to change the line combos when they weren't working, and thus spur us out of our rut for a big game 7... maybe even change the goalie situation... who kept the big picture in mind while still having the presence to attend to the little things, like having a pair of centremen on the PP so there's a backup if Koivu gets waived...

Maybe even someone nominated for the Adams.

Too bad we didn't.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Evil Ted

How about some consistant goaltending? Price is young im not bashing him but if he makes some key saves played like he did against boston for the most part we are in this series.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
I don't think Montreal played badly in this series, in fact, a break here or there would have changed the momentum. The Flyers had 2 things going for them, the breaks and the constant whining that got so ridiculous it even made ESPN and Yahoo sports. Because of that whining the refs were reluctant to make calls against the Flyers. We all know how tight Snider and Bettman are, right? Just my opinion.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Sad Leafs fan

Isn't it ironic that the last time a Canadian team won the cup was in 1993 and Gary Bettman who has been labeled as anti-Canadian became commissioner in February 1993. Looking at stats of playoff series in the last few years between Canadian based teams playing American based teams, it's strange how the majority of calls go against the Canadian teams.

Old
05-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
I don't think Montreal played badly in this series, in fact, a break here or there would have changed the momentum. The Flyers had 2 things going for them, the breaks and the constant whining that got so ridiculous it even made ESPN and Yahoo sports. Because of that whining the refs were reluctant to make calls against the Flyers. We all know how tight Snider and Bettman are, right? Just my opinion.
Quote:
Isn't it ironic that the last time a Canadian team won the cup was in 1993 and Gary Bettman who has been labeled as anti-Canadian became commissioner in February 1993. Looking at stats of playoff series in the last few years between Canadian based teams playing American based teams, it's strange how the majority of calls go against the Canadian teams.
There's no conspiracy theory. The officials in this league are terrible and they are asked to call things that should not be considered penalties, but there is no bias. I really don't think the refs played any role in this series to be honest.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:53 AM
KenAF

Quote:
If anything, I thought the penalties were in Montreal's favor.

Perceptions may be altered by where you watch the game. A channel like CSN out of Philly may point out a lot of uncalled penalties against Habs whereas TSN may point out more penalties against the Flyers. I don't have access to TSN so I don't know what their coverage is like.

In terms of penalty minutes, Philly served 65 and Montreal served 60.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Sad Leafs fan

If anything the Flyers deserved 75 and Montreal 45 BUT hey I've read all the 'how the NHL and the world hates us' crap on the Flyers board so aren't I at least allowed to put forward my own conspiracy theory? (one that I dare say is more plausible)

Old
05-04-2008, 02:30 AM
hpheikki

Huet.

hpheikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:43 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

You lacked experience first and foremost, and a consistent goalie. No matter how much you try and defend Price, the fact is he choked. Yes, he's young, yadda yadda yadda, but he lost the game for you guys tonight.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I think most people will evaluate this quickly and factor in these two reasons:

-Leadership
-Price wasn't as good as Biron

But to me leadership is overrated in certain situations: we know Saku has leadership but let's face it he's not the same player as he was. And we can't ask for him the same as he used to give to the game similar as the Rangers can't expect for Brendan Shanahan to be the power forward he used to be. I mean like it or not, Saku woke up the Habs on the 6th game against the Bruins and did as well on the 7th game. This was a team without fire and for a brief time he gave them that.

And we can say Biron was better than Price and you know what, he was. Carey made tons of mistakes.

But for those who watched the Bruins and Flyers series will attest that the Habs clearly lacked drive, desire. Against the Bruins there were games were we didn't have the cojones to fight back. How many games we were outplayed, outworked by the Bruins? Several. And to me that's it really because winning in the series(when it counts) is more than skills, it's bringing your intensity up, it's waking the sleeping warrior in you to do everything it takes to win. It's slapping the hand of a goalie before he touchs the puck to get the goal. Heck it's exactly how the Habs won in 93, by fighting against the odds, eating sticks in face, putting themselves on the line and outworking everybody.

But The Habs were not half near this. I still stay the Habs were more talented and that's what is frustrating because I don't think it needed that much to beat the Flyers. Against a team a little more intense, but as much talent this is a group of Flyers that would have fold quicker than a card player who has no hands. This is what's strange. I know the Habs had a young team but all they needed was step up and they didn't. And to me it's something that will have to be adressed during the summer. This team needs more warriors. And no amount of efforts by Saku and saves by Price will change the fact that more than half the team was on vacation.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual View Post
leadership
Are you taking a shot at Koivu or did you have someone else in mind?

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Souray on the PP
u joke, but he would have nailed a few in. Even with our monstrous PP this year there are times when I miss him and that shot

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:25 AM
ed ible*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
rental trades are overrated. Not worth risking young players, especially in the salary cap era of NHL

Well after watching Higgins in the playoffs I would rather be going into next year with Hossa instead.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:42 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
Are you taking a shot at Koivu or did you have someone else in mind?
Koivu was our best player ... on one FOOT.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Well after watching Higgins in the playoffs I would rather be going into next year with Hossa instead.
Higgins is a good player, but he's pretty much a third liner. Not that there's anything wrong with that, he's just put into a scoring role which is something he can't assume.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Turboflex*

3 offensive lines might've been the difference.

3rd line will be a lot more effective next season we have chipchura or grabs centering it, and S. Kostytsin on wing (with Jagr replacing him on Koivu's line).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:29 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
... or with blind devotion to Carbonneau?
Hey..Im biased...Carbo looks like my dad

Old
05-04-2008, 09:34 AM
CanadienErrant*

Now they have a good talent pool. But they are not built yet for the series. The experience gained is undeniable.

I think they are just a couple of strong, gritty, telented players away to win it all. That's what the Flyers have in Upshall, Hartnell, Richards, Umberger. We need a Holmstrom or Clowe type of player.

In goals, I still tink that getting rid of Huet was not the best Gainey's move. Price needs a vet goalie behind him to support.

It's deceiving but I guess the Habs had more injured players than we thought. I can't beleive Markov and Komisarek were so bad. Price and Kovalev were dreadful.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote