HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

When hockey fans gone wild (serious thread)

Old
05-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Smashley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Maybe next time youll think twice about going to an away game. Stay out of our arena

Buts that no excuse for what your describing, it was wrong what those people did. But then again, this is the playoffs...what were you expecting? Ranger fans to give you a warm hearty hello and a handshake wishing you good luck? Get real buddy, this is New York.
Entire Discussion, In Summary.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Entire Discussion, In Summary.
Vouch.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:44 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterulz View Post
I know dude. I wasn't happy seeing people in Pens jerseys walking around either but that doesn't mean anyone deserves to have anything happen to them. And I certainly don't want our fans to be labelled classless and for the most part, I bet anything they aren't. But some idiots are gonna act out. And it goes both ways. Not just some Ranger fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
Toronto fans are great. Most fans are. Rangers fans are a different breed however.

New york is a place like no other, so naturally the fans are as well to.

Honestly if you get in a fight over words at a hockey game, then thats just stupid. When people start throwing beer and stuff, its a different story.

The funny thing is Philly fans are PHYSCOTIC! Go to any philly arena/stadium they are ruthless.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:04 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Oh look, Chosen is here again to tell us all how to act.
I know I'm wasting my breath on people who think throwing objects at other people is ever justified.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:08 AM
chosen

Quote:
You have grown up in the same environment. Did that make you an "ahole"?
No. I've never thrown quarters at other people or tried to beat up someone because of their jersey even if I didn't like them.

Old
05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
jagrgodr

i've been thinking alot about fighting, especially with the fans. I know other sports will do the same thing ,visiting fans wearing their team's jersey and people making fun/ throwing/ heckling the other play, and if drinks are involved maybe a fight will happen.

Aren't they just imitating what their "role models" are doing by fighting? Hockey is deffinitly a great sport, and i actually really like the fighting, but i think it almost makes fighting "okay" in public, which i do not agree with.

I think that if you have a problem with someone, you shouldn't yell or scream or push or throw **** at them, talk to them. But the NHL is kind of saying the opposite.

Take the VS. Playoff commercial, showing 2 guys working for the same branch and they get in an elevator, one is from Philly the other from New York. The ele door closes and they presumably fight, door opens and they are all beat up and walk away like nothing happened. I know this is TV and its made up, but is this the kind of TV you want your kids to watch?

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:51 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Now you hide behind a computer acting all tough calling us classless. Go die in a corner somewhere.
The best part is that coming here to our boards and asking for trouble is the SAME thing he did at MSG. Where's my virtual quarter?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:54 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I know I'm wasting my breath on people who think throwing objects at other people is ever justified.
I don't think it's justified. But it's like walking through Camden at 2am and then complaining you got robbed. It's par for the course when you wear an opposing jersey. Stuff is going to happen to you.

Use your brain and don't put the jersey on.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:59 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
I don't think it's justified. But it's like walking through Camden at 2am and then complaining you got robbed. It's par for the course when you wear an opposing jersey. Stuff is going to happen to you.

Use your brain and don't put the jersey on.
Honestly, I don't think you can compare the two. I agree walking through Camden at 2 in the morning is just stupid. Wearing a different teams jersey doesn't give someone who is a fan of a different team any reason to abuse you. By abuse, I don't mean heckling, name calling or the like, I mean throwing ANYTHING.

When you to a sporting event, it's assumed that it will be safe and you will just have a good time, wearing another teams jersey doesn't make you fair game.

Old
05-04-2008, 10:37 AM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
When you to a sporting event, it's assumed that it will be safe and you will just have a good time, wearing another teams jersey doesn't make you fair game.
Thats how it should be, but humans (mainly men) are surprisingly not civilized when it comes to sports, and when alcohol is involved. Nothing will change honestly, Men like trouble and like to stir **** and cause fights.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:44 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
this guy is lucky this wasn't the 1970s....he wouldnt have a jersey to wear anymore

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:45 AM
aslim240

Interesting thread.

My seats are in 330 and for the most part visting fans in the area, get what they give, proportional to the number of fans. For the most part 3 types:

1) they come to root for there team, they clap when they score, stay quiet most of the rest of the time. They are usually not bothered and occasionally will even have a conversation with the people around them.

2) people who are loud and want to stand and shout and antagonize for the home fans. They get shouted and antagonized back and have things suggested to them that they are anatomically unlikely to be able to acheive

3) drunks who are looking for a fight. Rarely, do you see a fight in the first period. And it is even more rare that when a fight occurs in the 3rd period, that I had not pointed out the visiting fan to someone I am sitting with as someone who is likely to get punched in the face.

I think the story from the Pens fan who says he got treatment #3, while acting like number 1 is quite unfortunate. The first group of fans are good for the game, usually knowledgeable and would watch a hockey game even if there team was not playing. I have traveled to far more Yankee away games than Rangers (NJ counts as a home game for us) and I know if I acted like 2 or 3 I was putitng myself at risk. I am not excusing the behavior of any fan who initiates a fight, but fans who go into visting arenas and antagonize the home fans should not be surprised when they get a disproportionate response.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:12 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
uefa cup finalists. what a great feeling

trying my hardest to get tickets for the final but its being said that more than 100,000 fans will be travelling to the game. tickets are being sold at a ridiculous price on ebay and other sites so i am not getting my hopes up.

fingers crossed i get lucky
The entire populace of Glasgow will be invading Manchester. Awesome.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:15 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What is so tough to understand about my comment?

I've seen Rangers fans threaten to kill opposing fans. I've seen Rangers fans yell out curse after curse at people who did nothing besides wear the "wrong" jersey".
Right. So what's the issue?

Old
05-04-2008, 11:17 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
It's amazing how sports can turn adults into the biggest children.
You've been to soccer games with us. You know how we act.....

Old
05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
this guy is lucky this wasn't the 1970s....he wouldnt have a jersey to wear anymore
The jersey would have been burned while he was still wearing it. I wish I could have witnessed the greatness and glory that the blueseats bore in the 70's and 80's.

Old
05-05-2008, 08:38 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Right. So what's the issue?
There is no issue. Miscreants are miscreants whether they are at a hockey game, driving their car, or at work.

Old
05-05-2008, 10:19 PM
nyrmetros

ehh. It's a hockey game. sh@t happens. can't wait till october.

Old
05-05-2008, 10:37 PM
otterulz

Are you really comparing the two? You know they're not even remotely the same type of environment and behavior.

otterulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Are you really comparing the two? You know they're not even remotely the same type of environment and behavior.
Nah I'm not comparing the 2. Thoough I wish we had a Glasgow Rangers type atmosphere at a NY Rangers game.

Though ya'll should be thankful that this hasn't happened between NYR and NYI fans yet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080505/...ox5MNa2yBH2ocA

Old
05-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
What?! Say what you want about how bad any team's fans are and a Pens fan getting beat up - but MSG is the ONLY place I've gone to see the Devils and not worn my jersey after seeing how the fans act - even to women who obviously present no threat to beer guzzling men. I've worn my Devils jersey in Toronto numerous times and the worst I've heard it "Devils Suck". My buddy wore his Leafs Jersey to Newark and the worst he heard was a big ol' raging "Boooo". Neither of us would venture to chance doing the same at MSG because of the lack of security and respect for fans.

Pittsburgh, who is notorious for their football crowd treating their rivals in the worst possible way, was nothing compared to MSG. I actually made friends there with the opposition, but I can never see that happening in NY.

(and I was not sitting up in 305 or anywhere close - I was sitting down in the club seats - behind the team benches)

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:09 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I figured you'd get the reference
C'mon the Hoops!

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:45 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannyNYR View Post
C'mon the Hoops!
Where in Ireland is Glasgow?

It's awesome that the Devs fan thinks our street cred rep is better than Steeler fans. Doubt that is accurate, but I love it.

Old
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Neither of us would venture to chance doing the same at MSG because of the lack of security and respect for fans.
You have been on quite the anti-Ranger rampage since April 11. You make it sound like it's a battle zone which just is not accurate.

If you wear opposing teams garb and you are respectful you will not be bothered.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
You have been on quite the anti-Ranger rampage since April 11. You make it sound like it's a battle zone which just is not accurate.

If you wear opposing teams garb and you are respectful you will not be bothered.
Exactly. I was at 38 games this year. Every game, there was at least 1 opposing fan in my section. Always stood up and taunted Ranger fans, who gave it right back with "*******" chants. In one of the last Icelander games, this little punk got into the face of a big Ranger guy in the section next to us. The Ranger fan told him repeatedly to get out of his face. It finally came to blows with the Islander fan getting his ass saved by MSG security. The big guard made him sit down and called him, and I quote: "the dumbest mother****er I've ever seen in this place." Even still, the little pissant wouldn't stop and kept spouting off.

It comes down to respect. If you're a ******* to Ranger fans, you deserve what you get. If you're respectful, you will be treated in kind. Simple as that.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote