HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey???

Old
05-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Gainey is and has always been a winner and he saw that in Price who is the same. Trading Huet is the best thing for Price and Gainey knew it. There will be growing pains but in a year or two you'll be going "Now who was the goalie for the Habs when Price was brought up?"

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Domenic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Why has Bob Gainey been let off so easy, when he was the person responsible for derailing the Habs Cup run?
This was a Cup run?

Like I said before, our time will come, but not now. The Habs really overachieved this year and Price and Halak, and the team, frankly, got some valuable experience to learn from. Our weaknesses were exposed and I hope we can begin to solve some of what was lacking.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:07 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Wow, we should call this the "Hindsight is 20/20" thread. BG made a decision to go with Price. If he had kept Huet and we got put out in the 2nd round, I'm pretty sure there would be guys saying that BG should have got something for Huet and let Price run with the ball to get valuable experience. I guess BG couldn't win either way. I love fair weather fans, they make for great whine and cheese.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
I simply don't buy that we were better than the Flyers...Simply not true. There's no way or no excuse for losing 4 straight games to a team whom your'e supposedly better...Total BS!!!
Don't know man...we overplayed them in all those game IMO, but they were more opportunistic. In my mind, more opportunistic don't mean better, so that's how I see it. Not to say that the Flyers were not good, but at some times, they had a hard time against us. Anyways, kudos to them for converting their few scoring chances into goals!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Belso

Noob

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:32 AM
jordy

i agree with the OP. Gainey took a brain cramp when he traded his veteran goaltender for nothing.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
as of today,

Huet NHL playoff experience : 13 games.
Price NHL playoff experience : 12 games.

thank you.
Price=11 games , and he was pulled in 1.

Oh yeah Luongo=12 games. Not relevent but neither is most of this thread.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:38 AM
peperebougon*

penelope mcquade

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:38 AM
jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
i should've told you that it was with the habs.

missing the playoff (last year)
losing 1st round (2 years ago)
so you think the habs missed the playoffs and lost those series because of Huet. Why dont u take a look back at the teams that Huet goaled for in the past.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Why has Bob Gainey been let off so easy, when he was the person responsible for derailing the Habs Cup run? Leaving playoff goaltending to two rookie goalies is a recipe for disaster. If Huet stayed, just his presence would have taken tremendous pressure of Price. Instead of the go to guy, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, the pressure would be on Huet and then Price could develop at a sensible pace.

The comparisons to Roy and Dryden are unfair and only heightened fan expectation and hence the pressure on Price. There is only one Patrick Roy and one Ken Dryden. While Price may yet turn out to be a solid goalie, he is not in the class of the Roy's of the world and now may have irrepairable damage done to his confidence.

The one to blame for this is Bob Gainey.
Get a life! Price now has 11 playoff games played under his belt, won a series and understands that he is the man in Montreal.

Invaluable experience for a 20 year old. By the time he's 22, he'll be a force to be reckoned with. Boohoo we could've kept Huet for a few more games... It was the right development move, the Habs are such a young team, did anybody really expect the cup this year? Goaltending wasn't the only reason why we lost in the playoffs, the team has weaknesses that need to be tweaked and worked on.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
So we didn't win the cup this year. If Huet had started every game in the playoffs and we had lost in the 3rd round or the Finals does that make it better?

But guess what now Price won't be a rookie for next years playoffs. If Huet had been the starter this time we'd be going to all this rookie goalie garbage next year.

you take the words out of my mouth

that was Gainey's plan, to give Price playoffs experience. He didn't want to win the cup only this year, but be able to win a few cups in the next ten years. That's also why he wasn't ready to sacrifice Higgins for Hossa.

The goal has always been to win the cup for the 100th year and I will feel a lot more comfortable next year with Price in the net, knowing that he's got 11 playoffs games under his belt.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Year 101

For all of you that forget this is year 4 of a 5 year rebuilding plan. Huet in his whole career has yet to get past the first round, Price as a rookie got into the second round. Price also hauled us to first in the eastern conference and first to clinch. Imagine if huet lost in the first round. The threads would be why the hell did they not put in price. Gainey saw a 20 year old kid gain experience, he saw a whole team gain experience and he saw the face of this franchise succeed as a rookie. For all of you that forget that i find it sad... And remember this if bryzgalov went on waivers then a 2nd rounder for huet is a bargain.

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:11 AM
bipolarhabfan

It was and still is a good move. Price got invaluable playoff experience for next season while the Habs got an asset for a player they did not have in their long-term plans. Price will recover and come back hungrier and more driven to succeed next season.

Besides we have a young team that is only starting on the path to perennial elite status. The Habs found out what is missing for playoff success.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:12 AM
AH

The idea behind the Huet trade looks past 2007-2008 results...

I guess it's no surprise that this was lost on the haters ....

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:16 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly guys.....if Carbo can be bashed and if the majority of players can be as well, I really don't know why Gainey wouldn't be.
Why bash anyone?

This is a young team and people seem to have forgotten about that.
Look at Pittsburgh last year, they lost as a team and learned what it takes to win.

I think the whole idea behind moving Huet was to give Price some playoff experience instead of giving it to someone who wasn't going to be here next year anyways.

You have to stop thinking about moves being made only for now.
Gainey is not trying to build a one year wonder, he's working on building a team that will be competitive for years to come.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Why bash anyone?

Look at Pittsburgh last year, they lost as a team and learned what it takes to win.
Pittsburgh has goaltending this year, something they never had last year.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:28 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Why bash anyone?

I think the whole idea behind moving Huet was to give Price some playoff experience instead of giving it to someone who wasn't going to be here next year anyways.

You have to stop thinking about moves being made only for now.
Gainey is not trying to build a one year wonder, he's working on building a team that will be competitive for years to come.
.... Another round would had been sweet though...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
mikeg

Jesus, we finished first overall, when we were expected to fight for the last playoff spot. We played with quite possibly the youngest roster in the league, rode a rookie goalie who has not had a beak in over a year, and still have a glaring hole down the middle, and through all of it... ALL OF IT, we finished first overall and won a round in the playoffs.

Essentially we were very lucky to finish first. We escaped the entire year without a major injury, unfortunately it really does look like everybody just ran out of gas and/or got injured at the worst possible point; end of season/start of playoffs.

There is nothing... ABSOLUTELY nothing to piss on about this year. All our kids got some invaluable experience fighting for first overall, and battling in the playoffs through fatigue, injury and nerves.

To think that Cristobal Huet of all things would have been the savior is bloody ridiculous. How far did he take his new team again?

Get off Gainey's back and stop whining about it. He made the right call, hopefully the kids will learn and be stronger for next year (which was Gainey's plan after all...)

We have more kids coming up, and an entire decade of duking it out with the rest of the conference to look forward to. This year was not suppose to happen the way it did, and I am thankful of the way it turned out.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
i agree with the OP. Gainey took a brain cramp when he traded his veteran goaltender for nothing.
Ya HUET sure took Washington far in the playoffs. Huet is a flashy goalie only cause he is out of position alot. There is a reason why he was ranked as the 24 best goalie in the league. He was not gonna lead this team far and Habs management knew this. They had to give Price the experience

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Jesus, we finished first overall, when we were expected to fight for the last playoff spot. We played with quite possibly the youngest roster in the league, rode a rookie goalie who has not had a beak in over a year, and still have a glaring hole down the middle, and through all of it... ALL OF IT, we finished first overall and won a round in the playoffs.

Essentially we were very lucky to finish first. We escaped the entire year without a major injury, unfortunately it really does look like everybody just ran out of gas and/or got injured at the worst possible point; end of season/start of playoffs.

There is nothing... ABSOLUTELY nothing to piss on about this year. All our kids got some invaluable experience fighting for first overall, and battling in the playoffs through fatigue, injury and nerves.

To think that Cristobal Huet of all things would have been the savior is bloody ridiculous. How far did he take his new team again?

Get off Gainey's back and stop whining about it. He made the right call, hopefully the kids will learn and be stronger for next year (which was Gainey's plan after all...)

We have more kids coming up, and an entire decade of duking it out with the rest of the conference to look forward to. This year was not suppose to happen the way it did, and I am thankful of the way it turned out.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal Huet View Post
Damn, I'm late for the party.

*prepares to be flamed*

ok, if people here really think that Price > Huet still, which when you look at it NOW is absurd.

ok...Price played good hockey in the 1st round, he played well, but it's not as if it wasn't expected either, after all, we played the Bruins, a team we have owned for the past 2 years (and yes, they did take us to 7 games, but besides the point) and a team that all our goalies (Huet, Halak, Price...) have dominated; heck, even Theo played well against them.

Huet goes into the the 1st round sizzling, he was on fire, the Caps won a ******** of games in a row ridiculously just to sneak into the playoffs; he was a main reason, with his .936 SV% and a 1.63 GAA.
Price too played excellently after the Huet deal, to many people's surprise, and looked like, for a while, he was the next "Dryden" or "Roy", emphasis on LOOKED like not WAS THE SECOND COMING.

In the 1st round, Cristo plays a decent Flyers team with a stacked offence, good shutdown defence and average goaltending we just couldn't expose.
He played with his head up his ass, yes I admit it, for the first few games (Games 1 and 3) and then woke up and was a prime reason it went 7 games.
To those who say he didn't "win a single clutch game in his life", just pick between Games 5 and 6, and that's just ONE he won after MANY down the stretch with DC, so please stop with this BS he's never won a game when it counts because he carried his team into the playoffs.
The Caps, who are a much WORSE team than Montreal, lost in 7 to the Flyers.
Huet finished with a 2.90 GAA and a .910 SV% against them...not elite numbers but solid enough to force a Game 7 *which they should've won, thank Don Koharski and co.*

Now, the Habs and Price enter 2nd round play while Huet gets his golf clubs out for a day or so before joining Team France.
Price is coming off a Game 7 shutout win (and let's not overblow this one, it would've been much prettier if it were a say 1-0 win rather than a 5-0 win) and the Habs are looking to crush a depleted Flyers team who just played grueling hockey against a resilient team like Washington.

We won Game 1, and it was the only win and probably game in which Price played decently.
You know the rest, and it was funny reading all the excuses people tried to make for him on here while he was playing bad.
So, my point being...the Habs lost in 5 (**** ) and the Caps lost in 7.
The Habs are a better team than the Caps.
The Caps came closer to victory than Montreal could.
Montreal badly outplayed (yeah we did, just look at the shot totals if you like) Philadelphia on most nights but couldn't bury it.
Washington was badly outplayed for a few games before waking up too.
Price posts a 3.75 GAA and a .856 SV% vs the same team Huet played under better circumstances.

Draw your own conclusion, because if I say it, I'll get flamed, lol.

/thread.

(Please reply NORMALLY to this post rather than or , because you seriously aren't proving why you signed up to post on a message board in the first place).
I love the way you think, out f the box, do not dare to face what other people think, Huet was good, he will be really good next year, and if Price lives a difficult year, he will make us eating crow i am sure

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:07 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
This whole thing not only derailed Huet's stellar season but forced Bob later on to rush a trade with the Caps for Huet. I've never seen so much incompetence in so little time. In fact I remember all of it clearly how Huet had one bad match, Carbo "calling him out" then the Habs calling back Price and everything went downhill from there. Sure Price was good afterwards but this was a season build on Huet's back, his good work. And the only reason Huet started to go bad in my opinion was because Bob and Carbo played with his psyche. To this day I have no idea why they did that other than they wanted Price in quickly and were afraid to lose Huet for nothing. In the first case you want Price to be in there why exactly because of the romantic notion that he's gonna be another Dryden/Roy? In the second case you act out of fear of losing a player rather than preparing your team for the playoffs when let's face it if you really like Price, even if you lose Huet it's no big deal because Price is there. Or you keep the ship steady with Huet, and the guy would have signed with the Habs anyway next year(there's zero indications he wouldn't have).

In my opinion as far as developement, the Habs rushed Latendresse and they rushed Price.
Completely agreed man. To me it seems like Bob favors his draft picks/ friends over people that can do the job well. Julien was also fired so that his friend Carbo could take that spot instead. Also right now we don't know what the consequences will be on Price in the future. Some people here kept arguing that he is so calm, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. However, we won't know for sure what the consequences will be for rushing Price into the NHL until a few years from now. I still feel it was a big mistake rushing him in a market like Montreal.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
That's your opinion. I am not talking about hardware I'm talking about his skills. There is no way we can debate this because Price has to retire way in the future before we can evaluate his career and compare it to Roy's. I'm pretty sure we won't be on this board rehashing this thread by then. The salary cap has squat to do with Price's skills or future.
I just don't see how you can call a goalie better than Roy if he only wins 0 to 1 Stanley Cup rings. The salary cap has an impact because you can't stack teams and win cup after cup. The teams are too close in skill to each other. Next season we could just as easily miss the playoffs as could any other team because of the salary cap.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:16 PM
BigTimer*

Per today's Gazette article:

"Carey Price says he's not going to look at his goaltending equipment for three months."

"It's probably the toughest moment of my career so far,"

"It feels like I've been playing for two years straight,"

"It's been a lot of fun, but I'm drained."

================================================== =========

This 20 year old just wasn't ready to shoulder the load. No big deal, he's only 20 years old. I still don't understand the rush to get him all this playoff experience. It was silly and the proof is in the pudding.

I know Bob Gainey is poorly educated but even he should of known what the numbers 2 and 0 next to one another means age-wise for a goalie.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:37 PM
BigM

The truth is we won't know whether the decision to trade Huet and go with Price was wise or not for at least another year or two (assuming the Habs make the playoffs). I acknowledge that there is a benefit in having given Price the playoff experience this year. It can also be argued that he got us past Boston (but Huet may well have done that too - we'll never know).

My concern is Price's performance really nosedived after Game 4 against Boston.

In those first 4 games, he had a GAA under 1.25 and a save percentage around .957.

In the 7 games he played thereafter, his GAA was around 3.55, with a save percentage of .867. Now obviously the team's performance defensively affected his numbers, but it's hard, based both on the numbers and from witnessing his troubles, not to conclude that he played a significant part in the Habs eventual downfall. His struggles also likely affected his teammates' confidence too.

The hope is that his experience this year as a 20 year old rookie will pay large dividends in the future when the Habs are a more playoff-ready team. But for now, it's just that - a hope (one that I share).

BigM is offline   Reply With Quote