HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Owned by 2006's Worst Team Thread

Old
05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm talking about high priced talent that never delivers when the regular season is over. Its been a knock on Hamrlik for years now, he's a paycheck player.

He was the worst dman on this team from the start of the playoffs. BG is paying him a lot of money, he can't be happy with his post season effort.
I thought he played well aginst the B's, as Markov seemed kind of immobile, and he had a lousy game last night. I don't see it as a pattern though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I thought he played well aginst the B's, as Markov seemed kind of immobile, and he had a lousy game last night. I don't see it as a pattern though.
For the money Hamrlik is being paid, you would have expected a very dominant figure on the blueline. Someone who showed up when the big game was here, or when it mattered.

Can you really remember anything Hamrlik did in the playoffs? He never controlled the PP at any point and he was really weak on the PK. He turned the puck over in the defensive zone more than anyone.

He never generated any offense which is what you would expect from a player in this price range. I mean, Brisebois had a better performance that both Markov and Hamrlik... thats frightening.

13 million dollars for 7 points on our blueline? Yikes... its not like Hamrlik is a rookie and he'll learn from this years playoff adventure. He's a veteran that was expected to help a great deal, yet he ends up a -3.

I have no real issues with the defense, or the rest of the team. Live and learn... we are a young team etc.. but the performance of some of the veterans on this team is cause for concern for BG.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:38 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
At least be honest. You don't have standards. You stay away during the good days and come to whine, like a kid who didn't get a big enough piece of cake when things don't go well. When everything's good, there's little to be said, when things go wrong, everyone's an idiot or whatever clever expressions you want to use that day.

Philly won. They were better. They exposed what I believe to be the team's weaknesses. Good for them. If what's wrong is all you see, it must be depressing as hell for you to be a fan.

I see a lot wrong with the team, I also had more fun watching them this year than any year in a long time.
Right and this thread is about what's wrong with the team.. not the fun you had watching them this year. So you're point is?

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:49 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Right and this thread is about what's wrong with the team.. not the fun you had watching them this year. So you're point is?
Oh, I think the point was pretty clear.

Old
05-04-2008, 12:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
For the money Hamrlik is being paid, you would have expected a very dominant figure on the blueline. Someone who showed up when the big game was here, or when it mattered.

Can you really remember anything Hamrlik did in the playoffs? He never controlled the PP at any point and he was really weak on the PK. He turned the puck over in the defensive zone more than anyone.

He never generated any offense which is what you would expect from a player in this price range. I mean, Brisebois had a better performance that both Markov and Hamrlik... thats frightening.

13 million dollars for 7 points on our blueline? Yikes... its not like Hamrlik is a rookie and he'll learn from this years playoff adventure. He's a veteran that was expected to help a great deal, yet he ends up a -3.

I have no real issues with the defense, or the rest of the team. Live and learn... we are a young team etc.. but the performance of some of the veterans on this team is cause for concern for BG.
I don't think you can put expectation relative to $ in some cases. He's a 2nd pairing pp guy now, and I don't think any more was expected. I think they needed a reliable guy who could play solid minutes, and they got him. Having to overpay is another issue that we can debate but I don't see how we can expect a player to deliver something that's just not in his game right now.

What you can expect from him is to be a stablizing type of player, and he had playoff ups and downs. He had some games where he was very controlled, smart with the puck, but a few glaringly bad ones. Yeah, I wish he was better last night.

otoh, I was pleasantly surprised at his play all year. The 'paycheck' tag, well, I'll take your word for it, I've never heard it before. Summing up his year, he's not the offensive player I thought he was but he's a better d man thatn I expected.

The 3rd Flyer goal summed up teh series to me. Hatcher jumps into the play, puck goes behind the net, caroms off something, deflects as Hamrlik and Hatcher swipe at it, and Umberger scores on the short side. 99% of the time, a forward wouldn't follow behind the puck like that. This series, the guy has #99 instincts the puck comes to where he goes, Hamrlik, the other d man and the low forward lost track of the guy.

I think team D, esp., in terms of the forwards closing off space, applying pressure is the team's biggest single weakness. If you have an east west offense, which tehy obviously have, it's not always going to be there. You can still win 2-1 if you limit chances and get solid goaltending. I always suspect the forwards if your D plays bad, and the D if you aren't getting chances.

So, yeah, Hamrlik stunk last night, and yeah, he was using that shortcut play where you deliver the hit before retrieving the puck, but honestly, he's done that play all year. I'm a bit surprised he wasn't called on it more often.

Old
05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
ruxpin
Accidental User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
It's going up very fast, but when it goes up too fast, it goes the other way just as fast...

Just wait till they lose Carter/Prospal/Smith this summer.
Of them, the only one that is a concern is Carter. If they offer Smith league minimum it will be too much. He absolutely stunk this year.

I would like to keep Prospal but IF Gagne can come back healthy (huge "if") then Prospal really isn't needed. Carter is no where near as good as he's going to be, so he is a definite must-sign. Much different team without him.

ruxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Sigh.

Anybody with an ounce of anything resembling sense ought to be able to realize that the Flyers were not actually a bad, no-talent team last year. Just an horribly snake-bitten and ill-led one with too many injuries, no goaltending and too many flaws, and playing in a stupid style that simply did not suit the game of their players.
That's actually the definition of a bad team... and they're still bad.

However they beat us because every single shot they took that mattered found a way in. The puck had eyes for the flyers, wether it was our goalies letting in softies, our own players deflecting them in and screening the goalie or other weird let's go to Toronto type goals. On our end, we hit about 65 posts in 3 games and faced a Biron that got confident from our uncanny ability to hit posts and miss open nets and played way over his head the few times we didn't shoot at his chest. We carried most of the play, got the most shots almost every single game, got more scoring chances and we just looked better except in the goals department. Which is almost the complete opposite of what happened against the Bruins who probably carried the play for the most part of 5 games (2 to 6) but couldn't buy a goal.

If you looked at the flyers last season and you saw a good team there, and if you look and you see a good team this year, I don't know, we don't have the same definition of a "good team". Maybe I don't have common sense, or maybe we just don't have the same standards.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:13 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarovski View Post
Bouillon is a good defenseman, I can't complain

of course you can turn your team around when you sign Briere, Timonen and Hartnell. Plus Biron.
not really... he was absolutely horrendous in the series. He couldn't do anything great. He also made a big mistake on the Upshall goal. He turned over the puck like an idiot.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:15 PM
ruxpin
Accidental User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I agree. Plus they got so friggin lucky. Umberger probaly sold his soul to score some of these goals.
LOL @ lucky. Take another sip of that kool aid. 4-1 is more than lucky. You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. What is lucky is a highstick goal being counted and a phantom tripping call against mike richards in game 1, or the series would have been 5-0. What is lucky is that the Habs won a game, not that they lost 4.

It's a shame, because both the montreal section of the hfboards and the other canadiens board have some really great posters with some incredible hockey insight. Probably surpassed by none. Only to be marred by the whaa whaa lucky whaa whaa whiners.

Your team lost. Deal with it. You'll fix some things and come back next year even better and your goalie will have some playoff experience. Just another step.

Old
05-04-2008, 12:19 PM
ruxpin
Accidental User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
You know, the stress free argument doesnt work for me (not directed to you, but Im talking in general terms here). Any true competitor would thrive under the pressure that is Montreal. If a player can't perform because of the pressure, then I wouldnt want them here to begin with.

Sometimes, the player's character just doesnt fit
I know Montreal is the mecca of hockey. Toronto doesn't come even a close second. But if anyone thinks Philly is stress-free, they're delusional. Briere was booed in philly this year almost as harshly as anything the Habs fans did in the playoffs (I'm not sure I understand why he SHOULD have signed there, but whatever). "Stress free." bwahaha

Old
05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
not really... he was absolutely horrendous in the series. He couldn't do anything great. He also made a big mistake on the Upshall goal. He turned over the puck like an idiot.
If you think Bouillon was horrendous then you must not have saw Komi and Markov play. I don't understand the hate for Bouillon, he was probably our first or second best defenceman this series. Sure he ****ed up on the Upshall goal but he was very solid up until it.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote