HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Here's what I think.......

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Hab-Dawgs

vCash: 500
Here's what I think.......

So here we are....
nearing the end of the season, cheering for one of the four remaining teams, discussing next year's prospects, anxiously awaiting the beginning of next season....
I know, I know, we're cheering for the Flames too....or whoever...

But one thing comes to my mind when I think of how great hockey is to me, and to millions, and I mean MILLIONS of hockey fans there are AROUND THE WORLD, who watch the NHL all through the season. And that is why on earth is there even a question of a lockout?

Yeah, yeah, salary cap, shmalary cap.....

If Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow cannot reach an agreement, they should be fired!

What is the point in having these two puppeteers running the show if they cannot find a way in their stubborn little minds to reach an agreement?

For the players, the coaches and the fans, any hockey is good hockey!

I'm almost certain, that no matter where the players go next year, they will not get paid anything like as much as they would in the NHL.

I don't understand how un-imaginative these two people can be that they can't see that....

It's not difficult:

No Hockey, No jobs

Old
05-18-2004, 10:18 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Damnit, get Steve French some dope already!

Wrong board, bud.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Hab-Dawgs

I know.....but I think the topic deserves more than to be shelved in the "Nobody cares about these subjects" boards....

Sorry

Old
05-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Blackjack

It's not like Goodenow can just wake up one morning and say "you know what? Maybe a hard cap isn't so bad." He represents the interests of the players, and if the NHLPA representatives (there's one on every team) don't want a hard cap, there's nothing Goodenow can do about it. Bettman represents the owners in a similar way. This has nothing to do with Bettman and Goodenow not being able to agree, it has to do with the players and the owners not being able to agree.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Hab-Dawgs

I understand that..........i know it's not only Goodenow.....but i mean, what's the benefit for the players if they're going to be making such a lower salary in Europe??

Old
05-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Blackjack

The benefit for the players is that if they get a more favorable CBA for the next 10 years it's worth a heck of a lot more than playing one year in the NHL. The stakes are very high; that's why both sides are willing to risk a lockout, and why the outlook is so bad.

Old
05-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
It's not like Goodenow can just wake up one morning and say "you know what? Maybe a hard cap isn't so bad." He represents the interests of the players, and if the NHLPA representatives (there's one on every team) don't want a hard cap, there's nothing Goodenow can do about it. Bettman represents the owners in a similar way. This has nothing to do with Bettman and Goodenow not being able to agree, it has to do with the players and the owners not being able to agree.

Maybe the players only want what Goodenow tells them they want? If they had to play for less in Europe or have to work outside of hockey all together and had to sell a home or two that they own to make ends meet they would realize just how well they have it.

Some will argue that players have to make all they can cause their careers are short. BULLSHIVITZ! I have changed careers three times in the last 10 years in order to keep a roof over my head and food on my table. No million dollar deals for me because my different careers have been short. It's called the real world and players need to live in it for awhile.

Old
05-20-2004, 03:12 PM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-Dawgs
So here we are....
nearing the end of the season, cheering for one of the four remaining teams, discussing next year's prospects, anxiously awaiting the beginning of next season....
I know, I know, we're cheering for the Flames too....or whoever...

But one thing comes to my mind when I think of how great hockey is to me, and to millions, and I mean MILLIONS of hockey fans there are AROUND THE WORLD, who watch the NHL all through the season. And that is why on earth is there even a question of a lockout?

Yeah, yeah, salary cap, shmalary cap.....

If Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow cannot reach an agreement, they should be fired!

What is the point in having these two puppeteers running the show if they cannot find a way in their stubborn little minds to reach an agreement?

For the players, the coaches and the fans, any hockey is good hockey!

I'm almost certain, that no matter where the players go next year, they will not get paid anything like as much as they would in the NHL.

I don't understand how un-imaginative these two people can be that they can't see that....

It's not difficult:

No Hockey, No jobs
If they dont have a season, they dont lose as much money.

Alot of franchises are losing more then they are earning

No season = don't have to pay overpriced talent (Jagr)

Closed Thread