HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Early look at next season... (merged)

Old
05-04-2008, 09:49 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Is Ryan Malone a UFA??

If so, I would love the habs to get their hands on him. Big Forward that can score and plant himself in front of the net. If not...Rolston would be nice. I would stay away from Hossa as he will command a very long term deal and a lot of money. I would rather save our $$$ for the 2009 crop of UFA's

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:50 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo.O View Post
Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Lapierre - Dupuis
Kostopoulos - Chipchura - Stewart/Laraque

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gorges - Bouillon

Price
Halak

(Sorry, I really don't see Streit coming back..)
Why would Dupuis and Laraque leave Pittsburg - and their star- filled line up - for Montreal ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Year 101

Higgins Koivu Kovalev
Kostitsyn Plekanec Kostitsyn
Latendresse Lapierre Bernier
Kostopoulus Chipchura Stewart

Markov Komisarek
Hamrlik Obyrne
Gorges Bouillon/Valentenko

Price
Halak

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:53 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Is Ryan Malone a UFA??

If so, I would love the habs to get their hands on him. Big Forward that can score and plant himself in front of the net. If not...Rolston would be nice. I would stay away from Hossa as he will command a very long term deal and a lot of money. I would rather save our $$$ for the 2009 crop of UFA's
My only problem with Malone is that I dont think he'll score half the goals he did with Malkin. He would be a great 3rd line winger, but will probably get overpaid.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Why would Dupuis and Laraque leave Pittsburg - and their star- filled line up - for Montreal ?
It's a question of whether they're even wanted back. Laraque will likely get an offer, but Dupuis may not.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
sign 3 FAs and leave no room for the youth to develop?
I think the next good crop of youngsters is a few years away. Our AHL team is barren right now. The only players of note I think are Valentenko and Carle on defense and D'Ags and Chipchura as forwards. The only wildcard that I see on the forward lines is Pacioretty and on d is Emelin. We could have used the latters gumption in the playoffs. Will he ever leave Russia? Therefore, the UFAs that I suggested will not hinder the development of younger players. The ones that could be crossed out are Laraque and Kalinen/Norstrom.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Garnet

I was thinking cole would look good in montreals line up. He gets hurt a lot. I think I would trade higgins for him. This team just needs to be tweaked a bit.

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:16 AM
CanadienErrant*

The Habs can't afford a high price UFAs. Anyway, there is almost none that are really interesting. I would go for a goon like Koci, though to use once in a while.

Gainey should just keep going with his youth movement and/or try to make a trade for the player he really wants. For me, Ryder, Smolinski are gone. Brisebois and Streit might me re-signed. Grabovski might leave for Russia too.

At worst, next October, we gonna have these players, but Gaineyy should make a deal at trade deadline to bring more grit and size to this line up.

A.Kost - Plekanec - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - S.Kost

Grabovski (?) - Lapierre - Latendresse - Streit (?)

Bégin - Chipchura - Kostopoulos

Stewart

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - Gorges

Bouillon - O'Byrne

Brisebois (?)

Price & Halak

Old
05-04-2008, 10:17 AM
FrankMTL

Montreal does need one of those "Erik Cole Type" players in their lineup. These guys always seem to come up big in the playoffs. RJ Umberger did to us exactly what Erik Cole did to us in the playoffs a few years ago.

Max Pac will halp us but not for a year or two. If we could get another guy like that it would be huge....

Old
05-04-2008, 10:29 AM
le_sean

Shanahan - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Higgins - Plekanec - Kovalev
Latendresse - Chipchura - S. Kostitsyn
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gorges - Valentenko

Price
Halak

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Shanahan - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Higgins - Plekanec - Kovalev
Latendresse - Chipchura - S. Kostitsyn
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gorges - Valentenko

Price
Halak
Shanahan would have been good 2 years ago...He's having major problems keeping up the pace in New York. He will be close to done after this year I have a feeling.

We are a team built around speed...and he's just gonna be lagging behind our players.

Old
05-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I love Subban and all.. but I think Weber will be a better NHLer during his career.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:38 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
In response to Gilles Tremblay's concerns in the "year 4 of year 5" thread, I decided to take a look at our players for next season. Hopefully we can get a more holistic outlook for next season and see if we really can ice a contender next year.

I agree. Let's break it down to the components (i.e the players)

Kovalev--->>can he repeat the (regular) season he had? He's getting up there in age but I believe he still has a couple of really good years left in the tank. If he has another great season then count your lucky dollars that the team will also be succesful during the year (especially on the power play).

Koivu--->>By all accounts an off-year but his playoff performance was BEAST! He totally Kovaleved the playoffs! He's 33, it's not terribly old but management will soon have to look in at a replacement for him...Maxwell is at least 3-4 years away ( saddled with injury troubles). Koivu can top 65 points next year, he should bounce back. Next year may be the last season where we get a Koivu-Kovalev tandem at decent peak level of play, let's not waste this opportunity.

Higgins--->>Inconsistent, inconsistent, inconsistent. He really needs to learn to keep his intensity up during the playoffs. A terribly frustrating player to watch sometimes. All that said, he's still a player on the rise and can likely pot 30 goals next season barring injury. His upside may be more limited than we believed though.

Plekanec--->>Had a very strong regular season. Started very poorly in the playoffs but showed tenacity in the farewell match. Hopefully he's learned and improved.

Latendresse--->>Well he scored 16 goals. He's 20. He was sparingly used in the playoffs (oh why oh why did you not score at 4-4!!!!)
In all seriousness, his problems can no longer be simply attributed to lack of fitness. He needs to find the answer within. Hopefully having a kid during the summer can shed some perspective in his life, since his future in the NHL is nowhere near secured. But I hold out great hope for him.

A. Kostitsyn--->>Thank god that pick is somewhat vindicated. Next year should see his production explode. I can see him putting up close to ppg numbers (fingers crossed), he could break 40 as soon as next year. (After all he did score 5 goals in 12 games in the playoffs whilst displaying the intensity of an inanimate object).

S.Kostitsyn--->>The other major piece of the youth movement. I think he's firmly entrenched a spot in the top 6-9. He's very versatile. A lot of people will be expecting big things from him, I'm one of those people. I think he has it in him to record 100 pts. Maybe I'm being optimistic, maybe I'm a functional alcoholic, who's to say who's right and who's wrong? 55-60 points next season.

Smolinski--->>Gone. Thank you for your play down the stretch and in the first round but I'm glad you won't be impeding our chances to win during the other parts of the season. I'm glad you were there though.

Brisebois--->>Gone. Everyone hates you for your untimely turnovers and your russian roulette breakout passes (or is it outbreak pass?) but I'll remember your pride in donning the ch after you were run out of town, as well as the leadership and the heart you showed throughout the playoffs.

Kostopoulos--->>Good pickup by Gainey. I'm glad he's signed through next season, he makes for an excellent 4th liner who will do whatever it takes to win. I look forward to seeing him in action next year, I can't say he'll improve though. What you see is what you get. That's a saying that goes for all career 4th liners.

Begin--->>He takes penalties at the worst possible moments, but we shouldn't let that cloud our judgment of him. He's still an effective 4th liner who works hard and plays hard. Although I have reason to believe he'll be back next year, somehow I can see him being dealt soon.

Grabovsky
-->>I think he's done with us. I hope he can come back. He can be a decent stopgap until Maxwell or a true 1st line C comes along. Carbo should just let him fly a little and see what it yields.

Lapierre-->>Shows flashes of the **** disturber/pest every team needs. Too bad he has Kovalev's temperament and decides to show up half the time. For a 4th liner with 3rd liner upside, that's a no-no and can land him on the outs very soon. I still think there's tremendous potential in him however. Oh and learn to pass the freakin puck once in a while.

Markov--->>Well an up and down season and when I say up and down, I mean it started really well up until the all-star break, and then his play took a plunge and never truly recovered. As brilliant as he can be, he makes too many mistakes in key situations. Still an all-star defenseman, I'm harsh on him because I know he can take his play to the next level, almost touching Lidstrom esque levels of steadiness. Yes I said Lidstrom!

Streit---->>> Well a lot of people are ready to cut him loose after a sad playoffs to put it mildly. He's a fairly unique player in that he doesn't particularly fill any need but fills every use. I want us to re-sign him but at what cost? He's like the defenseman version of Gerber.

Hamrlik--->>Besides the first couple of games against Boston, his play took a dip afterwards. It doesn't mean he was ineffective or bad, just not as steady as his usual self. He's getting old, if he repeats his performance next year, then I'll be happy. Otherwise, Gorges has a serious learning curve ahead of him.

Gorges--->>Mr. unsung hero. Hard to believe he's only 23 the way people sometimes treat him. He can make for a fabulous bottom pairing guy or a decent #4. I think he's effectively replaced Rivet even though he doesn't have the same physical stature. He is more gifted in the transition play however and that should suit us fine.

Bouillon--->>ehh Frankie boy. Overpaid and pencil like height, he's a bull and can take on almost anyone physically. I'm never EVER secure with him in the dying seconds of a game but when he plays well he's very useful. He'll probably be back next year and we have to expect the same from him. Hopefully Carbs knows how to limit his minutes.

Ryder--->> Ouch. Can't see him re-signing here. It's a shame, I really enjoy watching him when he works hard and scores goals. I'm also going to miss that awe-shucks Newfie attitude he brought to the team.

Komisarek--->>The injury MUST have bothered him in the playoffs because that wasn't the same Komisarek we saw during the year. He was shaky and made some questionable plays in his own zone. I can't see him making the 6mil he's purported to make if he can't bring his level of in the playoffs. Still, a KEY component of our defense and one that can accede to Rod Langway levels of steady.

O'Byrne--->>Is it just me or is he the least intimidating 6'5 guy ever? I swear if I'd never known he was 6'5 230 lbs I would just assume he was a player of average build the way he plays. That being said he's young and will improve. He's a pretty good skater too. I'm happy with his play so far given the context.

Price-->>Well mr.savior didn't come through against Philly. He's still the best goalie prospect in the world. He'll start in at least 55 games next year where he'll be exposed to different levels of pressure. I think he's got most of the youthful jinks out of the way. I expect a Dipietro like season next year. In other words, a very good year. A lot of people are praising him for his calmness, while this is true, it seems he'll let in 1-2 REALLY weak goals just after letting in a crucial one. This happened time and time again in the playoffs. He needs to compose faster.

Halak-->> ah mr. forgotten and mistreated, he's in a serious bind at the moment. If we didn't have Price, he'd be in his shoes living the dream. Some serious untapped potential in this kid and we expect him to thrive in a situation that completely stunts his growth as a goalie. Hopefully, he doesn't go to Europe and gets some playing time (20-25 games), then goes to a team where he can be the true #1 (by which point Price can comfortably play 65-70 games)

Prospects to look forward to next year:

Chipchura-->>Will make the team for good this time and handily take Smolinksi's spot.
Pacioretty-->>Will Gainey sign him in the summer?
G.Stewart-->>Was tremendous in his first game, can he replace Steve Begin?
Valentenko-->>like a bigger Kasparaitis?
D'Agostini-->>A replacement for Ryder?

Well there ya have it boys, feel free to comment on the write-up. I expect Gainey to make some moves but overall, the team we saw this year will be the team we see next year. And I for one, am PUMPED!
I agree with you on most points.

O'Byrne was a huge deception after the "Purse Gate" and his injuries after a game where he had to fight twice. He is certainly not the same player since then.

Gainey got to find another strong winger for Koivu, and play Higgins with Latendresse on a third line (with Chipchura ?)

Old
Lafontaine

amazed!

The fascinating thing to me is, all the Hab fans here seem to agree on the same needs and mostly the same players.

Essentially, it seems obvious that there are only a few players we'd realilstically like to see with a shot at our top two lines (Rolston/Malone/Shanny).

A veteran, defense-oriented, tougher player is clearly a need (and some good ones might be available - Holik/Avery/etc)

There are also some decent UFA D-men out there and it looks as though we are pretty much unanimous that a Stuart/Norstrom/etc. would be a step up from Streit/Dandenault.

I base this not just on this thread, but a few other recent ones as well. Damn, could be a new era of agreement from posters on this board

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dlandry77

I really like the Rolston idea, he would provide that much needed grit in the playoffs.

What about John Michael liles from the Avs to replace Streit. He is a solid d-man there and he usually tallies around 40 - 50 points. I think we need a d man that has that great slap shot. There are not many players available that can do that, maybe one of our young prospects.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

These are the lines I think Gainey/Carbo will decide upon to start the season;

Guillaume Latendresse - Saku Koivu - Alex Kovalev
Andrei Kostitsyn - Tomas Plekanec - Sergei Kostitsyn
Christopher Higgins - Kyle Chipchura - UFA (Antti Miettinen, Radim Vrbata, Andrew Brunette)
Mark Streit - Maxim Lapierre - Tom Kostopoulos
Greg Stewart, Steve Begin

Andrei Markov - Mike Komisarek
Roman Hamrlik - Ryan O'Byrne
Josh Gorges - Pavel Valentenko
Patrice Brisebois

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak

UFA: May be subbed for Mikhail Grabovski if they decide to play him on the wing. That would be what I would do, but we'll see.

POSSIBLE UFA's: Fabian Brunnstrom, Jason Williams, Andrew Brunette, Antti Miettinen, Martin Straka, Radim Vrbata, Ryan Malone, Jarrko Ruutu, Brendan Morrison). My first three choices are in brackets.

Last edited by Hawkguy: 05-04-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old
05-04-2008, 10:44 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Shanahan would have been good 2 years ago...He's having major problems keeping up the pace in New York. He will be close to done after this year I have a feeling.

We are a team built around speed...and he's just gonna be lagging behind our players.
There is enough speed on this team already, we need more grit and leadership, he brings both.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:45 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Im saying the fans wont accept him and wouldnt fit in well with this city.
I will accept any player that wears the habs jersey
if avery signs with the habs ill cheer for him

hockey > politics

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:51 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Christopher Higgins - Kyle Chipchura - UFA (Fabian Brunnstrom)

Patrice Brisebois

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak

UFA: May be subbed for Mikhail Grabovski if they decide to play him on the wing. That would be what I would do, but we'll see.
Latendresse is far from being a 1st liner at this point. Still has a lot to improve.

Old
05-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Latendresse is far from being a 1st liner at this point. Still has a lot to improve.
Lol damn you quoting my lineup before I fixed it, haha.

Nah, I don't think he's a first line player at all .. But he seems to only play extremely well with Koivu. Just throw him up there to start.. and see what he does.

Latendresse producing somewhat with Koivu is better than him being a checker and/or energy type player.

Plus, I want the Higgins/Chipchura line to add a guy who can score but play well defensively. That line could be outstanding.

Old
05-04-2008, 10:54 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The Habs can't afford a high price UFAs.

Grabovski (?) - Lapierre - Latendresse - Streit (?)
Then forget about resigning Streit because someone will offer him at least $3 mil per.

Not worth it for someone whos only useful on the PP.

Old
05-04-2008, 10:56 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Lol damn you quoting my lineup before I fixed it, haha.

Nah, I don't think he's a first line player at all .. But he seems to only play extremely well with Koivu. Just throw him up there to start.. and see what he does.

Latendresse producing somewhat with Koivu is better than him being a checker and/or energy type player.

Plus, I want the Higgins/Chipchura line to add a guy who can score but play well defensively. That line could be outstanding.
They need Lats to be that "guy in front of the net" that they lacked in the playoffs. Hes still young but has the frame to fit that role a la Lucic.

Old
05-04-2008, 10:57 AM
habs fan uk

Avery is one of those players you hate when he plays against you but love him when he plays for you, if he came here I'd cheer him.

If we do sign Brunnstrom then it is not really to bad if he busts because it is not like we will be giving anything up for him for example players and/or picks (only salary will be given up).

I'd like to see a top 4 d-man come to play and bolster our line up and have a D of Markov, Komi, Hamrlik, UFA, O'Byrne, Gorges and Boullion (this would be pretty decent).

I would also like to see another top 6 forward to come and replace Ryder if we let him go (which I hope we do). If we got Avery I'd like to see Lats given next season with s.Kost and Saku on the top line and see if this motivates him and put Higgins on a line with him and Chipchura.
If we don't get Avery then put Lats with Chips and Higgins on the top line.

S.Kost - Koivu - Lats
UFA / A.Kost - Pleks - Kovy
Higgins - Chips -Avery
Stewart - Begin - Lappy

Markov - Komi
UFA - Hamrlik
Gorges - O'Byrne
(dunno if i got the D sides right)

Price and Halak (possibly another experienced goalie as well)

habs fan uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:58 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

Christopher Higgins - Kyle Chipchura - UFA (Antti Miettinen, Radim Vrbata, Andrew Brunette)

Patrice Brisebois

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak

POSSIBLE UFA's: Fabian Brunnstrom, Jason Williams, Andrew Brunette, Antti Miettinen, Martin Straka, Radim Vrbata, Ryan Malone, Jarrko Ruutu, Brendan Morrison). My first three choices are in brackets.
The Koivu-Kovalev experience didn't work.

Latendresse with Koivu and S.Kost on a second line is a possibility.

Old
05-04-2008, 10:59 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs fan uk View Post

S.Kost - Koivu - Lats
UFA / A.Kost - Pleks - Kovy
Higgins - Chips -Avery
Stewart - Begin - Lappy

Markov - Komi
UFA - Hamrlik
Gorges - O'Byrne
(dunno if i got the D sides right)

Price and Halak (possibly another experienced goalie as well)
again, how does Latendresse make the 1st line over Higgins? Hes far from being a 1st line winger.