HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Early look at next season... (merged)

Old
05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
redmachine54

vCash: 500
I'm going to take maybe a different road here...

Rolston - Koivu - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Higgins - Chipchura - Latendresse
Bégin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Rozsival
O'Byrne - Gorges

Price
Halak

I don't have Streit or Smolinski returning. One could easily swap Lapierre and Chipchura; I chose based on preference. I think Grabovski might bolt for the RSL. Not the greatest line-up, but I like it.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:18 PM
LastRide

We need players with grit. The type of players that come out and play hard every night and can pop a few in. We have players that take too many nights off. A lot of no shows for games. We need a couple of these guys. We also need a veteran goaltender. I'm not sold on Price. Gainey said around teh trade deadline he could have gotten a lot for Price. Maybe he should look at trading him if the return is good. You can win the cup with a little better than average goalie. If you got the fire power up front and hard working type players you don't need a goalie to stand on their head.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Patty Roy

I believe that Gainey will once again be looking to add an impact player (ie. top 6 forward, top 4 d-man) via either UFA (Hossa, Campbell, Selanne, Sundin) or trade. I haven't crunched all the numbers, but i believe that the Habs should have the cap space to add at least one significant impact UFA while still retaining all their desirable UFAs/RFAs.

I'm not sure that we will see much in the way of depth moves. The Habs brass seems very pleased with our 4th liners and depth d-men. There are however going to be some heavyweights available as UFAs, it will be interesting to see if Gainey decides to add one as a 14th forward.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:24 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
We need players with grit. The type of players that come out an play hard every night and can pop a few in. We have players that take too many nights off. A lot of no shows for games. We need a couple of these guys. We also need a veteran goaltender. I'm not sold on Price. Gainey once said he could have gotten a lot for Price. maybe he should look at trading him if the return is good. You can win the cup with a little better than average goalie. If you got the fire power up front and hard working type players you don't need a goalie to stand on their head.
Yet less than 1 week ago, you wouldnt even have considered trading him for anyone on the planet.

You "what have you done for me lately" fans are hilarious. You need to learn how to be patient, especially when it comes to 20 YEAR OLD goaltenders that are touted as the #1 PROSPECT in the NHL.

Thank God our GM doesnt think like you people.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:26 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I believe that Gainey will once again be looking to add an impact player (ie. top 6 forward, top 4 d-man) via either UFA (Hossa, Campbell, Selanne, Sundin) or trade. I haven't crunched all the numbers, but i believe that the Habs should have the cap space to add at least one significant impact UFA while still retaining all their desirable UFAs/RFAs.

I'm not sure that we will see much in the way of depth moves. The Habs brass seems very pleased with our 4th liners and depth d-men. There are however going to be some heavyweights available as UFAs, it will be interesting to see if Gainey decides to add one as a 14th forward.
I think Selanne would be a nice gamble given his experience with Koivu in international play. Might cost too much, though.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I believe that Gainey will once again be looking to add an impact player (ie. top 6 forward, top 4 d-man) via either UFA (Hossa, Campbell, Selanne, Sundin) or trade.
That would be my 2nd choice right after Rolston. Teemu is not getting any younger but he can still produce at almost a PPG and has chemistry with Koivu. Give him 1 year @ 4m (maybe even go to 5 since it's only 1 year) and see what happens.

That's if (and it's an epic IF) he want to come here though and judging by his past comments it seems to be either the Ducks or retirement

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
too early...

andrei kostistyn is my biggest fear.
i know its cool to play with your brother

but if someone offers you 4 millions and your near of your wife and your new kid... vs 1.5, 2 millions in the NHL?...
You're talking about the NHL as if its a crap league.
His wife and kids are moving to MTL over the course of the summer, so thats a big part of your argument.
He'll have his gf..kid and bro here. He's playing on the team that finished 1st in the East. He gets to play with Kovalev.

What is he going to do if he goes back there?..get 4M..play with..?..
You keep hearing how much russian and european players want to leave and come play here. Look at the Malkin scenario, look at Emelin, etc..
All of them know they will earn more money in the RSL, yet they still want to come here.

If you look at the Players that left the NHL to go play in europe, its usually the ones that couldn't make it in the NHL or were finished(Yashin).

Andrei had a great season, there's no way Gainey is letting him go and he has no reason to go play in russia.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:29 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He did want to sign in Montreal. His wife wanted to live in New York.
So, what's the difference ? Blame the wife, uh ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
You should ask Pronger

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
As much as I want Breezer to retire (on a good note and so I can get some respect back as a poster, lol).. I think he will be back.

I expect to see;

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges
Brisebois

I doubt they will use O'Byrne or Valentenko as the #7.. but they may.. we'll see. Carle isn't ready. Dandenault better not be back.
Well, im pretty sure Gainey signed Brisebois as a type of safety plan. Im not sure anybody expected Gorges to be as good as he became.
So if Gorges and Bouillon play the same way they did this year, I doubt they'll lose their spot.
O'Byrne should play regularly, Streit said he wants to play D and im not sure Gainey wants to let Streit sign with another team.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Valentenko play some games with us either, nor would i be surprised to see Gainey make a push for Campbell.
Having Markov and Campbell on the same team would be incredible.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
Lapierre is not that good, he'll have to fight for a spot each year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I think he'd be competing against Beech and Chipchura for a spot. I do want to see Lapierre be more consistent.
I'll adjust my lineup.
You guys are delusional if you think that Beech is better than either Chipchura or Lapierre at this point.

I hope for the lord of god, that Gainey will not even consider offer him a contract.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

A.Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Hossa- Koivu - Jagr
Higgins - Chipchura - Rolston
S.Kostitsyn - Grabovski - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gorges - Bouillion

Price
Halak

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:42 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The difference is I don't think the Rangers could or even want him back unless he takes a major paycut. And I doubt he's going to play for the Islanders, so that leaves his other choice, Montreal, up for grabs.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Nedved

i dont no why people dont want boullion, him and gorges have great chemistry and they are developing well together.

S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - Higgins
Hagman - Williams - Lapierre
Latendresse/Begin-Chipchura- Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Orpik/Valentenko
Gorges - Bouillon

Price
Halak

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:45 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

We need a big 3rd line center so we can moved lappy to rw and put higgins on lw so we could have a great shutdown line! Higgins-ufa/trade?-lapierre

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
You guys are delusional if you think that Beech is better than either Chipchura or Lapierre at this point.
That's why I'm not a GM!
Can he honestly be any worse than Smolinski?

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
That's why I'm not a GM!
Can he honestly be any worse than Smolinski?
Yes, Yes he can.

There's a reason why he was waived TWICE last season.

Old
05-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Twister mtl

I can assure you that the Habs will the frontrunners for Sundin. think of a 1year contract..8mil. MARK MY WORDS

Twister mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
I agree they are both our worst defensive defenseman but at the same time during the playoff, Brisebois is the only defensemen that was usefull on the powerplay and Bouillon was the only defenseman to bring the puck in the offensive zone by himself.

Streit is supposed to be a good shooter but IMO Brisebois was supperior during the playoff. We need another Defenseman that can shot the puck on the powerplay and not be a defensive liability.
I agree with you on that staement.

But when you think of it, the fact that the Breezer, especially at this point in his career, was -- at least in some ways --one of the Habs best "D" man in the playoffs, this would explain why they could not truely compete in round #2!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Yes, Yes he can.

There's a reason why he was waived TWICE last season.
Maybe I have the "Montreal's Lack of Size" syndrome.

Anyways I had the feeling Beech was expected to be an offensive powerhouse but never lived up to the hype, hence being waived twice.

In an adjusted role as an energy guy with his size he could use being put on the waiver wire as motivation.

Again nothing the Lapierre couldn't do. Just needs more consistency.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Admaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - Rolston
Higgins - Chipchura - Lapierre
Latendresse/Stewart/D'Agostini - Begin - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gorges - Bouillon/Valentenko

Price
Halak

I know that it's not very realistic since i think that our chances of signing Rolston are quite low and we will most likely have to overpay to get him but he would be what the doctor ordered and the perfect replacement for Ryder. A right handed 30 goal scorer with size and wheels who can play a good two way game and can go in the traffic. He can also play center and is very good at it when the situation calls for it. He would fit like a glove on our team. I'd much rather go after him than Hossa or Jagr to be honest
I agree withy uo 100%. I don;t beleive we need much more to take us to the next level. A player like Rolston would really be a perfect fit and exactly what we need. As for the rest, I beleive we have the players to go all the way because you have to factor in the experience they gained from this year. Just take a look at what they were able to acheive. Next year will be that much better and Rolston imo, is the only addition we would need.

Admaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:11 PM
huet the master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admaker View Post
I agree withy uo 100%. I don;t beleive we need much more to take us to the next level. A player like Rolston would really be a perfect fit and exactly what we need. As for the rest, I beleive we have the players to go all the way because you have to factor in the experience they gained from this year. Just take a look at what they were able to acheive. Next year will be that much better and Rolston imo, is the only addition we would need.
I agree, He is exactly what we need, and he would fit in perfectly.

huet the master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister mtl View Post
I can assure you that the Habs will the frontrunners for Sundin. think of a 1year contract..8mil. MARK MY WORDS

Perhaps, but he'll never sign here.

Old
05-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Maybe I have the "Montreal's Lack of Size" syndrome.

Anyways I had the feeling Beech was expected to be an offensive powerhouse but never lived up to the hype, hence being waived twice.

In an adjusted role as an energy guy with his size he could use being put on the waiver wire as motivation.

Again nothing the Lapierre couldn't do. Just needs more consistency.
The fact that he couldn't skate for **** and was extremely inconsistent and still is sure contributed to it.

Old
05-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post

Price
Veteran G
We do need a veteran goalie next year. It takes the pressure off Price knowing we have a capable backup that we know can step in and do the job when called upon.

Rookie Goalie + Rookie Backup = big mistake.

What are our options for Backup UFA's?

Hedberg
Thibault
Grahaeme
Joseph
Lalime
Theodore
Hasek
Aebischer
Conklin
Kolzig
Huet