HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd for Huet a steal... FOR US!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2008, 02:10 PM
  #76
Travis Moen
Registered User
 
Travis Moen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Can't make the 2nd round if you don't win the first one.
Huet has always been a Bruins killer. I think he would have handled them.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:12 PM
  #77
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Huet has always been a Bruins killer. I think he would have handled them.
Our whole team has been Bruins killers in the regular season, Boston deserved to win that series as they outplayed us and I guarantee you we would've lost game 4 if we had Huet in net, Price stole us that 1-0 game.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:13 PM
  #78
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
If Montreal had kept Huet they would have two more wins in the 2nd round IMO. That's one gamble that utterly backfired.
No doubt.

However it's a real laugh-riot to read all the know-nothings make all types of excuses for this blunder.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:15 PM
  #79
Enstrom39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Can't make the 2nd round if you don't win the first one.
My point is that the Habs should have started Price but when he faltered they would have had a quality #2 who could step in and play at a high level--or at least one who could make a glove save.

I don't blame them for trying Price first--but a more prudent GM would have made sure he had a veteran backup.

I picked Montreal to win the East--I still think they have the best roster of skaters in the East. But the lack of a capable #2 ruined your post-season.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:17 PM
  #80
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Huet would have ended that Bruins series at game 5 and we would have at least been in a game seven against the flyers. Bob really ****ed this run up for us for a terrible pick.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:20 PM
  #81
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
My point is that the Habs should have started Price but when he faltered they would have had a quality #2 who could step in and play at a high level--or at least one who could make a glove save.

I don't blame them for trying Price first--but a more prudent GM would have made sure he had a veteran backup.

I picked Montreal to win the East--I still think they have the best roster of skaters in the East. But the lack of a capable #2 ruined your post-season.
That's all well and good, but Price wasn't at his best until the traded Huet. Having Christo back up Price didn't seem to be a good option. And what about Halak? Is he bad enough to actually make a difference? There's not much seperating the three.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:22 PM
  #82
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Huet would have ended that Bruins series at game 5 and we would have at least been in a game seven against the flyers. Bob really ****ed this run up for us for a terrible pick.
Is that a fact? He couldn't possibly have lost in 7?

Who in this coming draft will become a superstar and who is a bust? Please let us know.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:22 PM
  #83
Travis Moen
Registered User
 
Travis Moen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Our whole team has been Bruins killers in the regular season, Boston deserved to win that series as they outplayed us and I guarantee you we would've lost game 4 if we had Huet in net, Price stole us that 1-0 game.
You can't say that...
Maybe Huet loses us the second game or maybe he wins us the third game, we don't know. Huet has always been good when his team is outplayed and that's why he has good stats.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:23 PM
  #84
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
If, if, if, if, if...

1) Huet is gone. The Huet era is over. He was going to be gone in the off season anyway. Anybody actually think that we'd have won the cup with Huet? The Price/Halak era is now. Lets deal with it like adults instead of whining like sissies.

2) It's pretty sad to bash Huet to prop up Gainey & Price. We liked him when he was here and I'm sure most still respect him immensely for what he brought to our team and wish him well. Thanks Huet and best of luck to you!

3) There's no point in coming up with imaginary scenarios about "what if Huet was here" to bash Gainey & Price. It's quite a petty thing to do because you hide behind theories that can't be proved. The smugness of those coming up with these scenarios and their belief that their way is the absolute truth is quite funny actually. In a pitiful sort of way.

Seriously, lets move on.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:27 PM
  #85
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Is that a fact? He couldn't possibly have lost in 7?

Who in this coming draft will become a superstar and who is a bust? Please let us know.
He took a worse team to a game seven against the team that should have swept us in four. The guy dominates the bruins year in and out, I would put money on Huet ending the series in 5.

I know it's hard to stop tossing Gaineys salad but please do take a break once in awhile. I'm

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:29 PM
  #86
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
This trade was, and still is a good trade.

Far from being a steal, but it gave Price much needed playoff experience. The second rounder in what could possibly be one of the best drafts in a while is merely a bonus.

It accomplished what it needed to do by giving Price the ability to come into his own and assume his role as the #1 of this team. Huet didn't have a future with this team. The only difference with Huet not being traded would be people complaining about how we lost him for nothing in FA.

Could we have advanced further? Maybe, maybe not. It's useless to argue about contingent realities that will never occur.


Last edited by HotPie: 05-04-2008 at 02:36 PM.
HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
  #87
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Huet also lost to the Flyers so what is the point in debating how well we would have done with him? He's gone. It's history. We have two young goalies that need to get their careers revved up.

This was not our year to win. This last round clearly showed that. Many aspects other than goal just did not deliver what is needed.

But now the young guys have seen what it takes and hopefully they build on it.

A great UFA signing would help too

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
  #88
kovalev47
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Wow you are still around? I thought we lost you and Cristobal Huet (the poster) when Huet got dealt. I still think you two are same person just posting under different accounts. Still wishing ill on Price I see...
Yeah yeah yeah we know the routine. If we defend Huet, we are a Price basher. If we point out any of Price's fault we are a Price basher. If we don't act arrogant and think that the Habs are better than any other NHL team , we are a Price basher.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
  #89
kovalev47
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Is that a fact? He couldn't possibly have lost in 7?

Who in this coming draft will become a superstar and who is a bust? Please let us know.
People here claim that Huet wouldn't win because he hasn't won a playoff series yet. Yet they refuse to look at Huets stats versus Boston. Huet has shutout the Bruins many times. If you look at the past, Huet would have beat the Bruins in fewer games than Price.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
  #90
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
People here claim that Huet wouldn't win because he hasn't won a playoff series yet. Yet they refuse to look at Huets stats versus Boston. Huet has shutout the Bruins many times. If you look at the past, Huet would have beat the Bruins in fewer games than Price.
Price was also undefeated vs the bruins in the regular season..... Regular season and playoffs are different. Price was 3-0 against philly in the regular season.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
  #91
pine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,217
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
People here claim that Huet wouldn't win because he hasn't won a playoff series yet. Yet they refuse to look at Huets stats versus Boston. Huet has shutout the Bruins many times. If you look at the past, Huet would have beat the Bruins in fewer games than Price.
And the last time that happened was in 2005-06. April 1st 2006 to be more precise. Oh and by the way, Price had a better winning percentage against the Bruins than Huet.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:48 PM
  #92
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Why don't some of you go over to the Caps board and ask them who got the better end of this deal?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:50 PM
  #93
n0pan
waddup doe
 
n0pan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to n0pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8 View Post
Plekanec was a 3rd rounder
Ribeiro was a 2nd
Theodore was a 2nd
S. Kostitsyn was a 6th
Patrice Bergeron was a 2nd as well
Lucic was a 2nd too no?
SK74 was a 7th rounder.

n0pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:06 PM
  #94
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Why don't some of you go over to the Caps board and ask them who got the better end of this deal?
So because the deal helped both teams its a bad one??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
  #95
Istvan
Registered User
 
Istvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
If Montreal had kept Huet they would have two more wins in the 2nd round IMO. That's one gamble that utterly backfired.
There really is no guarantee that Huet would have been better.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:10 PM
  #96
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
So because the deal helped both teams its a bad one??
The deal helped the Caps alot more than it helped us. They don't miss that second rounder at all.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
  #97
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,649
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
There really is no guarantee that Huet would have been better.
and there was a lot more signs showing that Huet was going to be worse...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:12 PM
  #98
pine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,217
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The deal helped the Caps alot more than it helped us. They don't miss that second rounder at all.
... until they realize how much of a good player this draft pick will turn out to be, thanks to Timmins and the scouting crew.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:13 PM
  #99
Habbiebo0gie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mtl
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
The whole "we would have won with Huet" argument is about as dumb as it gets. It just doesn't work like that. There are a lot of intangibles that you have to consider here. Some say that we needed a solid backup. But if Huet was still here, Price wouldn't be the starting goalie, and his game wouldn't have improved as it did during the final stretch. In other words, Huet would be the #1, with a unsharpened rookie as his backup. Not that much better than what we had in the playoffs.

Then you have the whole "Huet took a crappier team to game 7 against philie" argument. That's bull. Can we honestly say that we were that much better than the Caps in our series against the Flyers? Sure, we played well, but we couldn't score, gave up 9809897 turnovers. Who's fault is that? Price? I'm not saying Price played well because he didn't, but don't give me the whole "Huet had a crappier team in fornt of him and brought them further". It doesn't work like that.

Both goaltenders have strong points, but also a lot of faults. Huet is worse than a midget AAA goalie at handling the puck. That would have put more strain on our defensemen. Can you honestly evaluate the impact that could have had on our team? No. Sure, Price gave up bad goals. But Huet might have too. How do you know what would have happened?

This whole debate is moot, so saying Huet would have gotten us to the ECF is just dumb. It's simply something that we'll never know. Maybe we keep Huet and lose in the first round. Maybe we keep Huet, finish 4th in the conference and play NJ or NYR. Everything could be different. Gainey made a choice, and and we cannot say that it was a terrible trade, nor can we say it was a good one. Give it 5 more years, maybe our 2nd round pick turns out awesome? Maybe Price improves his game with the experience he got this year? So stop the friggin' complaining, we lost, get over it.

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:15 PM
  #100
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The deal helped the Caps alot more than it helped us. They don't miss that second rounder at all.
And we don't miss Huet... whats your point??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.