HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What could Gainey get for Lats?

View Poll Results: What could Gainey get for Lats?
First round draft pick 6 11.76%
Second round draft pick 16 31.37%
A strong defensive center 9 17.65%
A rental player before the deadline 20 39.22%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2008, 03:55 PM
amnesiac*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Ron Hainsey, Frank Beauchemin,Mike Ribeiro are saying hello to you
Damn straight.

I cant stand these impatient Habs fans. Trade Koivu, trade Kovalev, trade PRICE.....

Fans of their city winning a championship as soon as possible is what they are.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i was responding a bit to you but generally to the OP

and don't dare call me a smartass again
I don't care who you were responding to. You answered my post so I answered you back.

As for the smartass comments...you know where you can stick those....Up your smartass.

05-04-2008, 04:00 PM
MTL-rules

NHL regular at 20yo, great upside still he would fetch no more than a second... come on

What would Bobby Ryan fetch? A 3rd rounder, because he isn't in the NHL yet... this is just silly, I know you don't like Latendresse, but don't show it too much... it's bad for a reputation.

I want to dig up this thread in 5 years from now!!!!

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
NHL regular at 20yo, great upside still he would fetch no more than a second... come on

What would Bobby Ryan fetch? A 3rd rounder, because he isn't in the NHL yet... this is just silly, I know you don't like Latendresse, but don't show it too much... it's bad for a reputation.

I want to dig up this thread in 5 years from now!!!!
i will put this thread in my favourites and undig it next year

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Toro

He isn't going anywhere.....

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
HabsPack

Unfortunately Lats is an enigma.

He lacks speed/offensive smarts to be a top 6 skill guy. He's got the frame but not the demeanor to be a true power forward. He's not defensively aware enough to be a shut down type player, and lacks grit/tenacity/aggressiveness to be a fourth line role player ... not sure where he fits at the moment.

Hopefully with time he'll find his spot on the roster, because at the moment he doesn't really belong anywhere.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post

He lacks speed/offensive smarts to be a top 6 skill guy. He's got the frame but not the demeanor to be a true power forward. He's not defensively aware enough to be a shut down type player, and lacks grit/tenacity/aggressiveness to be a fourth line role player ... not sure where he fits at the moment.

Hopefully with time he'll find his spot on the roster, because at the moment he doesn't really belong anywhere.
how can you evaluate someone's offensive capacities when he was not offered top6 time at least for 30 games a year in a bunch?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post

I'll agree with you on the speed issue. But if you watch the kid closely, his offensive smarts are definitely not lacking. He's also a very underated stick handler with the puck.

His defensive game does need some work. But the same could be said of AK and SK. As for the grit, like I mentioned before. He's shown that he can bring it, but for some reason he's stopped.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:26 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
how can you evaluate someone's offensive capacities when he was not offered top6 time at least for 30 games a year in a bunch?
I'm going by what I've seen of him the past two seasons, I can only go by that.

That's why I mentioned hopefully he'll find his spot in the coming yrs. Since he's young, there is definitely room for improvement in all areas (except those demanding a mean side, i.e. power forward or role player, because a person can't change their basic makeup).

Old
05-04-2008, 04:27 PM
le_sean

This reeks of John Leclair. I don't want to give up on him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So Latendresse is better offensively than Higgins? It doesn't look that way.
I think he is. Latendresse scores more often reletive to their respective ice time and linemates.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Beakermania*

Keep him.... he's 20 years old.... Hes improving.... We'll regret it if we give up on him now.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Madevilz

Trading Lats now would be the worst mistake the Habs management can make. Just sayin', cause I know he wont be traded anytime soon.

Madevilz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Keep him.... he's 20 years old.... Hes improving.... We'll regret it if we give up on him now.
Exactly. Lets not do a 'John Leclair' again and shoot ourselves in the foot. You guys are willing to be patient with Price and he's just 20 years old... So Is Lats!!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM

A player like Jim Dowd

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
What does Maika have to do with it?
You know what, I was just making the "pretty girl=distraction" joke kind of thing, but now that I think of it, I think it is something mental/emotional and not related to his talent, like how he's dealing with all the expectations on him mentally and stuff. I think the skills are there but they don't seem to have been refined much after an entire season of play. I don't think it's cause he's lazy and ineffective, I think he just hasn't been able to get it together enough to do the right kind of work.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I would consider trading Higgins way before Latendresse.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I'll agree with you on the speed issue. But if you watch the kid closely, his offensive smarts are definitely not lacking. He's also a very underated stick handler with the puck.

His defensive game does need some work. But the same could be said of AK and SK. As for the grit, like I mentioned before. He's shown that he can bring it, but for some reason he's stopped.
I will agree he's done some nice passes, mostly last season though. I'm just going by what I think, hopefully I'm wrong for the Habs sake. As I said in my last post though, if there's an area I feel he has the best chance to improve it would be offensively, but not as a power forward.

Old
05-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
You know what, I was just making the "pretty girl=distraction" joke kind of thing, but now that I think of it, I think it is something mental/emotional and not related to his talent, like how he's dealing with all the expectations on him mentally and stuff. I think the skills are there but they don't seem to have been refined much after an entire season of play. I don't think it's cause he's lazy and ineffective, I think he just hasn't been able to get it together enough to do the right kind of work.
Guillaume is going to be a dad in a couple of months. A big step of maturity can just help him (life and hockey career). I kind of understand why a lot of people are always on his back because of his lack of speed and lack of demeanor but the kid is only 20 years old. From what I've seen from Latendresse since he started his NHL career, I can definitely say that the guy can put the puck in the net (good hands and good shot). He never really had a chance to play on the first 2 lines and on the PP and was still able to put 32 goals so far in 2 seasons with limited ice time.

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Live Forever

Steve Bernier + a 1st rounder got San Jose Brian Campbell and a late pick. If the Sharks are able to re-sign Campbell it would be a great deal for them.

I see Latendresse being a similar player to Bernier

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Kaptain Bégin

A 30 goals scorer.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
j52

Gainey could get what he is worth-another 16 goal scorer.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
his sig sure looks like a bruins' one
Hey, I want to strengthen the Habs, not win a popularity contest. Having someone who's a borderline healthy scratch is not the way to go. The 2 top lines are set and Lats plays with Lapierre and Streit, the most unproductive and poorest defensive unit. I can imagine Max Pacioretty as a better fit and certainly as better in the tough grind of a playoff series.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
of course, when you play with smokes and kostopoulos or Lapierre and Dandenault, you have to chip offensively?

Give him go ice time with an offensive center or with a 2 ways center and you'll see better things
He had that chance but Sergei bumped him for good reason. That 16th goal of his is ancient history by now.

Old
05-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
are you kidding? A pick for Latendresse?

Hes 20! Let him develop before saying we should trade for a pick. He could be a very useful player for the Habs in years to come given his size.
I hate to use Mike Milbury as an authority but he makes one good point. A new player should have 3 seasons to show improvement. If he remains at the same level after 3 years, it's time for the GM to look elsewhere. How many years should Gainey wait with Lats? If he doesn't improve next season, his trade value will actually go down. It didn't take long for rookies like Sergei to make their mark. Would Carbonneau make Sergei a healthy scratch?