HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What could Gainey get for Lats?

View Poll Results: What could Gainey get for Lats?
First round draft pick 6 11.76%
Second round draft pick 16 31.37%
A strong defensive center 9 17.65%
A rental player before the deadline 20 39.22%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Ron Hainsey, Frank Beauchemin,Mike Ribeiro are saying hello to you

And Sergei Kostitsyn, Patrice Bergeron, and Milan Lucic are waving back.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
Trading Lats now would be the worst mistake the Habs management can make. Just sayin', cause I know he wont be traded anytime soon.
No, he enjoys the status of a protected North American species.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I hate to use Mike Milbury as an authority but he makes one good point. A new player should have 3 seasons to show improvement. If he remains at the same level after 3 years, it's time for the GM to look elsewhere. How many years should Gainey wait with Lats? If he doesn't improve next season, his trade value will actually go down. It didn't take long for rookies like Sergei to make their mark. Would Carbonneau make Sergei a healthy scratch?
You didn't see improvement in his game from last year to this year?? Really??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:40 PM
katieboo

Strict diet?

katieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:43 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieboo View Post
Strict diet?
LOLZ. I like you.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

I don't see how trading Latendresse could provide a positive outcome for Montreal in any way, considering Latendresse's value right now...

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins 21 View Post
I don't see how trading Latendresse could provide a positive outcome for Montreal in any way, considering Latendresse's value right now...
Agreed, there's no way the Habs trade Lats at this time. There is definite room for improvement from him considering his age and possible potential.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
And Sergei Kostitsyn, Patrice Bergeron, and Milan Lucic are waving back.
Lucic didn't outproduce Latendresse.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Why trade one of the few big body forward prospects/youngsters on your team. He's also one of our better finishers. I see no points in trading him away before we test him out to see how well he does with more icetime. Seriously people he's 20 and played in only his second season. Luckily for us Timmins still seems to be high on him based on radio interviews.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:52 PM
wedge

I don't want him to be traded before he achieves his potential. Big guys like him are slower to develop.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Habbiebo0gie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Lucic didn't outproduce Latendresse.
So Latendresse >> Lucic?

I'm going to have say that Lucic brings much more to the table than Lats at this point in time. Especially with the improvement Lucic showed during the playoffs, getting bumped onto the top line and all. Latendresse's play has stagnated this season. At this point we cannot say he has a better upside than Lucic, and Lucic is improving at a much faster rate.

I don't know, maybe if Lats loses some weight, takes some skating lessons, and watches Brendan Morrow videos for the next month, his game might make a few jumps? I sure hope so...

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:14 PM
revin5*

I guess no one has noticed how good Lats has become defensively then...

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
MathMan

With all due respect to Lucic, who had excellent playoffs, he scored half as many goals as Lats did this year... and half as many as Lats did in his rookie year, too.

He outproduced Latendresse in the playoffs, sure, but he was playing with Savard and Lats was playing with Lapierre. Hardly a fair comparison.

For all the hype about the next Cam Neely, he also got benched when the Bs needed a goal late in games.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Habbiebo0gie

Ok, it's true that the whole Cam Neely hype is getting pretty ridiculous. But at this point in time if I were to choose between the two, I would probably take Lucic over Latendresse. My 2 cents tho.

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:41 PM
V-2 Schneider

You let Lats develop.If it means he must re-learn proper skating mechanics with a top notch coach, then he must concentrate on that this off season.The kid has the skills,size and smarts to become a top line winger, and adding a half step in quickness will make it easier for him to exert his physical presence all over the ice.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm not saying Latendresse has no value, but I don't see him cracking the top 2 lines for the next few years. I vote for a 2nd rounder.
If anything, the Phillie series proved 2 things we need.

1-an experienced goalie, the 2 kids struggled as the pressure mounted
2-more wingers that are strong in traffic(Lats is our best young one)

Lats is underused playing with guys like Lappy Dandenault Begin etc. Stick him on Koivu's wing with either S.Kost or Higgins. Him and Koivu are made for each other. Lats is not great at carrying the puck, Koivu is strong at it, Lats goes to the net and shoots the puck, Koivu is a prime passer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbiebo0gie View Post
So Latendresse >> Lucic?

I'm going to have say that Lucic brings much more to the table than Lats at this point in time. Especially with the improvement Lucic showed during the playoffs, getting bumped onto the top line and all. Latendresse's play has stagnated this season. At this point we cannot say he has a better upside than Lucic, and Lucic is improving at a much faster rate.

I don't know, maybe if Lats loses some weight, takes some skating lessons, and watches Brendan Morrow videos for the next month, his game might make a few jumps? I sure hope so...
If somebody should watch Morrow videos it's Higgins, not Lats. Lats is 6'2" 225lbs...Morrow is 5'11" 195-200lbs, not the same type of player.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Put Latendresse on a scoring line all year next year and he can pot 25-30 goals, there is no reason to trade him especially since his value wouldn't be very high to other GM's.

I really don't understand the hate for the kid, he played most the year on the 4th line and still scored 16 goals while improving a lot on his defensive game and even gained a bit more speed.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:28 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

But see, this is going to come. They just had a hell of an experience having been shown a glimpse of what it'll take to get to the next level. This summer and into training camp, the organization is going to drive it into the heads of every kid on the team that they were ****ing outstanding this year and it's only going to get better and better as long as they remain committed to the team philosophy and their own personal development as both players and individuals.

Too many are talking of inexperience and the possibility of having been "ruined", particularly in regards to Price but considering the absurd number of cups spread out amongst the coaching staff and Gainey himself, there's little reason to believe that they're not going to steer these kids in the right direction. When a man like Bob Gainey tells you that you are the number one goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens, confidence/belief in yourself as well as the team will be the last thing one can worry about.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I never was a fan of Lats but I would wait a good three years before giving up on the guy before he turns into another Ribeiro. Ribs couldn't play with Kovy, he was too small, too soft, etc...And now look at where he is. Some people are more unorthodox, they have a more unusal style and they don't break-out in the same way.

The main thing I would modify with Lats apart from skating better would be to play him where he always played in junior: on the right-wing side.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

2-more wingers that are strong in traffic(Lats is our best young one)

Lats is underused playing with guys like Lappy Dandenault Begin etc. Stick him on Koivu's wing with either S.Kost or Higgins. Him and Koivu are made for each other. Lats is not great at carrying the puck, Koivu is strong at it, Lats goes to the net and shoots the puck, Koivu is a prime passer.
Also, look at the play where Lats hit the cross bar at the end of the game. That move he made into the slot area is something that none of our top 6 wingers are willing to do except Kovalev. Lats has earned himself a spot in the top 6 and I would like to see him there.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
I guess no one has noticed how good Lats has become defensively then...
I, for one, have. Lats will never be a defensive force but the improvement he showed over the last season is remarkable. He consistently wins battles on the boards and having him on a line as a 2 or 3 works well.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:01 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
I hate to use Mike Milbury as an authority but he makes one good point. A new player should have 3 seasons to show improvement. If he remains at the same level after 3 years, it's time for the GM to look elsewhere. How many years should Gainey wait with Lats? If he doesn't improve next season, his trade value will actually go down. It didn't take long for rookies like Sergei to make their mark. Would Carbonneau make Sergei a healthy scratch?
wow !

If Mike Milbury said it , you can't be wrong ....

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Richybaby

None of the above

Richybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hey, I want to strengthen the Habs, not win a popularity contest. Having someone who's a borderline healthy scratch is not the way to go. The 2 top lines are set and Lats plays with Lapierre and Streit, the most unproductive and poorest defensive unit. I can imagine Max Pacioretty as a better fit and certainly as better in the tough grind of a playoff series.
It took Bertuzzi 5years to crack the 25G mark and 7 to get 1pt/game ratio..
Powerfoward take a lot more time to develop, especially in our new league where speed is extremely important. Lats will hopefully work on his skating during the off season, and keep working his improved Defensive play. If he does that, he'll get top6 minutes.

If you're gonna keep Latendresse with Lapierre and Streit, then obviously he's as useless as one can be.
Latendresse did net 16G this season, this when he's being scratched every now and then, being bumped from line to line, and not getting PP time.
Latendresse will become a very big part of our team, i would be really disappointed if Gainey was to trade him. But i know he wouldn't dare to trade him.

As off next year, lines will be changed. Im pretty sure the Kost Broz will be matched together, I see Higgins very possibly dropping down to 3rd line to play with Chipchura as a great 3rd line 2way duo, and Latendresse playing with Koivu.

If you give Lats, top 6minutes on the same line for the whole season, on top of PP minutes, I guarantee you he'll crack the 25 or at least 20G mark.

As stupid as it may sound, the sole fact that Gainey traded for his brother is proof enough that Lats isn't going anywhere for the time being.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote