HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2nd for Huet a steal... FOR US!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2008, 07:43 PM
  #201
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal Huet View Post
Price also gave up a weak long range slapper goal to Hartnell last night to put the icing on the cake.
Something like the goal Huet gave up to Cory Stillman in Game 6 OT two years ago....season over.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
  #202
Cristobal Huet
Registered User
 
Cristobal Huet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Something like the goal Huet gave up to Cory Stillman in Game 6 OT two years ago....season over.
Something like that, in the end, they're both the same ****, lol.

EDIT: except Huet is better ****. lol, jk.


Last edited by Cristobal Huet: 05-04-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
  #203
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Are you idiots going to argue about this for the next 145 days?

Neither Huet nor Price would have gotten us the Cup. As far as I'm concerned, SC runner up is just 4 places worse in the draft.

Well either Biron Fleury Osgood have a good chance at the cup, why not Huet? The habs did not need their goalie to steal them games, just needed the backbreaking goals to stop.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
  #204
Cristobal Huet
Registered User
 
Cristobal Huet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Well either Biron Fleury Osgood have a good chance at the cup, why not Huet? The habs did not need their goalie to steal them games, just needed the backbreaking goals to stop.
to Price's defence (holy **** did I just say that? *slaps self* ) we didn't bury ALL our chances either.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
  #205
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Something like the goal Huet gave up to Cory Stillman in Game 6 OT two years ago....season over.
Price and Halak gave up one of those or more in each of the 5 games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
  #206
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If you really believe that Washingtons defense corps is anywhere near our level you are wasting my time. We have Komi, Markov and Hamrlik rounding out our top 3.
That's funny, because they weren't playing like our top 3. Not a knock against Gorges but you know when's something wrong when Gorges is your best defenseman in the playoff series, ahead of Markov, Komisarek and Hamrlik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yeah Price really saved the day, he came in and let in 3 goals aswell Wow. Huet faced the Sens at their prime and Price faced them at their absolute worst. There is a reason they were swept in the playoffs remember?
Yeah, Huet faced the Sens at their prime, having lost 3 of their last 4 games. And after their 6-1 win against us, they lost 3 straight.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:10 PM
  #207
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
That's funny, because they weren't playing like our top 3. Not a knock against Gorges but you know when's something wrong when Gorges is your best defenseman in the playoff series, ahead of Markov, Komisarek and Hamrlik.



Yeah, Huet faced the Sens at their prime, having lost 3 of their last 4 games. And after their 6-1 win against us, they lost 3 straight.
He might only have 10 posts but I like this guy.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
  #208
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
That's funny, because they weren't playing like our top 3. Not a knock against Gorges but you know when's something wrong when Gorges is your best defenseman in the playoff series, ahead of Markov, Komisarek and Hamrlik.



Yeah, Huet faced the Sens at their prime, having lost 3 of their last 4 games. And after their 6-1 win against us, they lost 3 straight.

Huet was clutch for the Caps, check his stats down the stretch in all those must win games. He should have won that Phillie series, they blew the call on the tying goal.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:30 PM
  #209
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,660
vCash: 500
Frankly against the Flyers all we needed was a semi-solid goalie. Nothing too fancy and we would have fared better. So being conservative and not showy, Huet would have done THAT job, at least. The thing with Price was not that he was up to the task it was that he was HORRIBLE unfortunetly. He was making around ten mistakes per games, whether it was by not being "alert" enough or by causing turn-overs by going out of his crease. All we needed was someone half decent. And Price was too young maybe to even be half that.

Say what you will about Huet but in our series against Carolina for instance, sure he let in one decisive weak goal but he never made mistakes outside of that and he kept us in the game, the Habs were far more inspired in those games than in the Flyers series. That had this drive to keep going like all playoffs teams should be contrary to this year, because back then they had nothing to mess them up mentaly. They could get "in the zone" and just play hard. While this year with all the Price mistakes per games it was hard for the players to stay focused.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
  #210
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I trust Gainey's judgment when it comes to him... He hasn't been wrong yet.
Ribeiro for Niinima. Ooops. Sergei Samsonov. Ooops

Don't place BG on a plateau and worship him, he makes mistakes as well. I think he'll be able to live with the Huet trade, so that makes it a little more liveable.

90% of the people here are just repeating exactly what the TSN analysts said about the Huet trade and aren't offering any of their own thoughts.

"By trading Huet, it allows Price to emerge as the number one!"

Yeah, thats all fine and dandy... but its risky. Don't tell us we wouldn't have been better with Huet/Price as a tandem going into the playoffs.

The late second round pick we received is a gamble, a gamble that more often than not fails when it comes to draft picks.

So, in the end.. you'll never convince those that believe it was a bad trade and we'll never convince those that worship BG and every single move he makes.

I love Price, glad he's here and part of the future. I don't think a 20 year old should be thrown into a scenario like this playoff year, without a veteran backing him up.

This debate will probably never die.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:39 PM
  #211
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Ribeiro for Niinima. Ooops. Sergei Samsonov. Ooops

Don't place BG on a plateau and worship him, he makes mistakes as well. I think he'll be able to live with the Huet trade, so that makes it a little more liveable.

90% of the people here are just repeating exactly what the TSN analysts said about the Huet trade and aren't offering any of their own thoughts.

"By trading Huet, it allows Price to emerge as the number one!"

Yeah, thats all fine and dandy... but its risky. Don't tell us we wouldn't have been better with Huet/Price as a tandem going into the playoffs.

The late second round pick we received is a gamble, a gamble that more often than not fails when it comes to draft picks.

So, in the end.. you'll never convince those that believe it was a bad trade and we'll never convince those that worship BG and every single move he makes.

I love Price, glad he's here and part of the future. I don't think a 20 year old should be thrown into a scenario like this playoff year, without a veteran backing him up.

This debate will probably never die.
I meant he hasn't been wrong in the way we've dealt with Price....
ie
1) I don't think it was wrong to start him in NHL exhibition games at 18 immediately after the draft.
2) I don't think it was wrong to put him in net for Hamilton last year's playoffs
3) I don't think it was wrong to leave him in Montreal in October
4) I don't think it was wrong to send him down in January
5) I don't think it was wrong to call him back up.

Now I'm saying that the Huet trade, and this playoff experience isn't wrong either... I think we will see in the future that it benefits him.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:44 PM
  #212
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
The Huet deal was the kick off Price needed to have confidence in himself, and looked what happens.. Price ends being the current best goalie in the playoffs at 20 years old and Huet has the biggest GAA in all of the 16 teams. Not to mention we have an amunition for a trade next year when we will become much better then we currently are
what are you smoking??? Huet for a second isn't a steal....at all. Good way to make oneself feel better though...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:46 PM
  #213
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal Huet View Post
to Price's defence (holy **** did I just say that? *slaps self* ) we didn't bury ALL our chances either.
Understatement of forever.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:46 PM
  #214
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,608
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
what are you smoking??? Huet for a second isn't a steal....at all. Good way to make oneself feel better though...
I agree, its not a 'steal' but Huet is aging and will not get any better and i'm happy we got such a pick for him, considering that a lot of 2nd round picks made it to the NHL.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:47 PM
  #215
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
what are you smoking??? Huet for a second isn't a steal....at all. Good way to make oneself feel better though...
you realize this was posted after game 4 of the Boston series when Price was lights out and Huet was awful....

Thats it I blame MaxPac for jinxing us

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:06 AM
  #216
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I agree, its not a 'steal' but Huet is aging and will not get any better and i'm happy we got such a pick for him, considering that a lot of 2nd round picks made it to the NHL.
I personnally would have kept Huet but we will have something good out of that pick. Timmins is gonna do wonders again. I ain't bitter but I found that move risky and unexpected. It's not like we had a rivet-type deal anyways so I would have kept him. Maybe it would have helped, maybe not. We'll never know. A second round draft pick is easier included in a trade proposal than a goalie. I am happy Price had playoffs experience though... that can't be bought!!!!

Anyways, I am looking forward, not back. Now that I know we can win a cup soon, I'll stop talking about the 24 cups we won. It's getting old. Let's get a new one next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!go habs!!!!

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:39 AM
  #217
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
With Huet's shootout record, do you think he stops Richards and Briere on breakaways in game 5??
The thing you don't understand about hockey, be it because you've never played the sport or haven't watched enough of it, is that a goalie who can't stop a breakaway is still a better goalie than one who stops breakaways but can't stop the easy ones. There is NOTHING more demoralizing for a team than your goalie letting in a soft one. More often than not it changes the momentum of the game.

If your goalie lets one in on a breakaway... big deal, you skate to center ice and try to get that one back. In all likelyhood it's a shot you aren't expected to save at the same rate as the average save pct% anyways. But when you're goalie is letting them in from anywhere, first of all it's as frustrating as a teammate not being able to get the puck out of the zone but it also changes the way you play.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:56 AM
  #218
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 500
Gainey hung on the Sauray and got nothing in the end.
Gainey was going to keep Sauray if the contract was not too high, but it was and Gainey let him walk.

With Price as the next goalie for sure, Gainey already knew Huet was Not coming back so a 2nd is much better then nothing.

Overall, Gainey correctly valued his teams overall chances to win the cup this year. Without that top center and or a top winger and or better grit on the 3rd and 4th lines, all the while knowing he has a very good war chest for the off season it really was an easy decision, if you know your hockey.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
  #219
ThePriceisRight
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Gainey hung on the Sauray and got nothing in the end.
Gainey was going to keep Sauray if the contract was not too high, but it was and Gainey let him walk.

With Price as the next goalie for sure, Gainey already knew Huet was Not coming back so a 2nd is much better then nothing.

Overall, Gainey correctly valued his teams overall chances to win the cup this year. Without that top center and or a top winger and or better grit on the 3rd and 4th lines, all the while knowing he has a very good war chest for the off season it really was an easy decision, if you know your hockey.
who is Sauray?

ThePriceisRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
  #220
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
you realize this was posted after game 4 of the Boston series when Price was lights out and Huet was awful....

Thats it I blame MaxPac for jinxing us
I know your just kidding, but man i'm so sick of the "so called" fans who can't look 5 days ahead of a decision Gainey makes.

Some of you guys simply don't get that weather we had Huet or not our team was WAY too unexperienced to win the cup, now all of our kids have bagage for next next year, even players chipchura and Stewart who just practiced now have an idea of what NHL playoffs are all about. What was Gainey supose to do? Win 1, maybe 2 rounds with an average goalie who was goinmg to sign with another team the next summer or take a risk on the franchise goalie you got who was already playing better hockey at the end then your #1? The choice was freakin obvious, it's the same reason why gainey had the Hossa deal let go, we're simply not there, next we could be, ALOT of players will have a better year( A.Kost 30+ goals, Latendresse 20+ goals, Higgins( better play all around) S.Kost 50+ points, Price 30+ win). Next year will be the time to start thinking about having a real chance for the cup.

This thread has become a joke, people are trying to convince us again that Huet is god when after the end of january Price was already getting more starts then him, it's not 1 bad series againts a team who kept charging at him that lowers his potential.

Trading Huet was still an excellent move Gainey made. As i said before, that 2nd rounder will be a valuable asset next year when another impact player becomes available ( Marleau maybe?, Lecavalier?) who knows...


Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-05-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:02 AM
  #221
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 8,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Overall, Gainey correctly valued his teams overall chances to win the cup this year. Without that top center and or a top winger and or better grit on the 3rd and 4th lines, all the while knowing he has a very good war chest for the off season it really was an easy decision, if you know your hockey.
Yeah, you're probably right, Gainey expected the #1 seed to go out in the 2nd round.

"... an easy decision, if you know your hockey." That's great stuff!

"We really had no expectations of winning this year, you know with the center, winger and grit issues this team is currently facing. I know the #1 seed looks good and all, but really, I'm not concerned with any short term accomplishment. Just wait till next year... or maybe the one after that when my plan really falls into place. Maybe we'll tank it just a bit to come at the #6 spot? What do you all think?"

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
  #222
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
The thing you don't understand about hockey, be it because you've never played the sport or haven't watched enough of it, is that a goalie who can't stop a breakaway is still a better goalie than one who stops breakaways but can't stop the easy ones. There is NOTHING more demoralizing for a team than your goalie letting in a soft one. More often than not it changes the momentum of the game.

If your goalie lets one in on a breakaway... big deal, you skate to center ice and try to get that one back. In all likelyhood it's a shot you aren't expected to save at the same rate as the average save pct% anyways. But when you're goalie is letting them in from anywhere, first of all it's as frustrating as a teammate not being able to get the puck out of the zone but it also changes the way you play.
I've played and coached more hockey than you can imagine.... Don't ever assume I've never played before ever again..... Seriously don't paint me in that corner cause reading your posts i know more about this sport than you can even imagine, and I've forgotten more about building a team and the chemistry it takes to win then you will ever know.

And I do agree on what you say about demoralizing the team... but the way Price played prior to the 2nd goal... stopping breakaways, making great saves on the 5 on 3 should have the opposite effect.

The way the team played in game 2-4 not burrying their chances and never getting Price the lead has the same effect on the goalie as the goalie not making saves has on the team. Giving up breakaways every game can also effect the goalie's confidence in his defence.

It works both ways.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:18 PM
  #223
AlexCvm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
By the way, it will be confirm today that Carey Price was playing injured.


Last edited by AlexCvm: 05-05-2008 at 02:24 PM.
AlexCvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
  #224
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Yeah, you're probably right, Gainey expected the #1 seed to go out in the 2nd round.

"... an easy decision, if you know your hockey." That's great stuff!

"We really had no expectations of winning this year, you know with the center, winger and grit issues this team is currently facing. I know the #1 seed looks good and all, but really, I'm not concerned with any short term accomplishment. Just wait till next year... or maybe the one after that when my plan really falls into place. Maybe we'll tank it just a bit to come at the #6 spot? What do you all think?"
LOL

We never had a chance.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.