HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What could Gainey get for Lats?

View Poll Results: What could Gainey get for Lats?
First round draft pick 6 11.76%
Second round draft pick 16 31.37%
A strong defensive center 9 17.65%
A rental player before the deadline 20 39.22%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbiebo0gie View Post
So Latendresse >> Lucic?

I'm going to have say that Lucic brings much more to the table than Lats at this point in time. Especially with the improvement Lucic showed during the playoffs, getting bumped onto the top line and all. Latendresse's play has stagnated this season. At this point we cannot say he has a better upside than Lucic, and Lucic is improving at a much faster rate.

I don't know, maybe if Lats loses some weight, takes some skating lessons, and watches Brendan Morrow videos for the next month, his game might make a few jumps? I sure hope so...
Lucic was playing on the first line COMMON

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Lucic was playing on the first line COMMON
He was there because he deserved it. Get my meaning?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
*facepalm*

it is hard to get top 6 time, thus by deserving it if you only have chance to shine under the same spotlight than Dandenault and Lapierre with a defensive role

Old
05-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Lucic didn't play on the first line all the time. He had 27pts, the same number Lats had except Lats had twice the amount of goals.

Bruins had a completely depleted roster, thats why Lucic was on first line.
Lucic has become way too overrated, some comparing him to Cam Neely, thats just ridiculous.

If Lats picks up his speed, he'll be better than Lucic.

And lats should play with Koivu the whole season next year. Watch him crack 25 or at least 20G.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Lucic didn't outproduce Latendresse.
During the playoffs, he certainly did...

Jamie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Thomas View Post
During the playoffs, he certainly did...
euh..he had 1 pt more than Lats..in pretty much the same number of games. Actually 1 less game.
Difference is Lucic was put on 1st line.

Old
05-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Jamie Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
euh..he had 1 pt more than Lats..in pretty much the same number of games. Actually 1 less game.
Difference is Lucic was put on 1st line.
Well you can't say he did not outproduce him. And if you watched the games, you surely have noticed Lucic much more than Latendresse. You can't say that he didn't outplay him, and it is not only because of linemates. Lucic is no Neely that's for sure, but he was a factor in every game.

Latendresse has much more offensive potential than Lucic, no doubt about it. He is not a finished product either, he will get better with years, at least I hope. His biggest challenge is to get better when he starts skating. His starts are just horrible. And to answer the original questions, I don't think it would be wise to trade GUI right now. He doesn't have that great value around the league right now, at least IMO, the best thing to do is wait and hope.

Old
05-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Well you can't say he did not outproduce him. And if you watched the games, you surely have noticed Lucic much more than Latendresse. You can't say that he didn't outplay him, and it is not only because of linemates. Lucic is no Neely that's for sure, but he was a factor in every game.

Latendresse has much more offensive potential than Lucic, no doubt about it. He is not a finished product either, he will get better with years, at least I hope. His biggest challenge is to get better when he starts skating. His starts are just horrible. And to answer the original questions, I don't think it would be wise to trade GUI right now. He doesn't have that great value around the league right now, at least IMO, the best thing to do is wait and hope.

I would like to clarify all of those Lucic comparisons

Lats in the playoffs=benched or on 4th line
Lucic in PO= 1st line

/debate

Old
05-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Lats picks up his speed, he'll be better than Lucic.

And lats should play with Koivu the whole season next year. Watch him crack 25 or at least 20G.
Its not speed he needs... its acceleration.... He's not bad once he gets going, its just hard for him to get to top speed. He needs to work on

1) that first step
2) always moving his feet when he's on the ice, never stop, even if its just little circles

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Jamie Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I would like to clarify all of those Lucic comparisons

Lats in the playoffs=benched or on 4th line
Lucic in PO= 1st line

/debate
So this is how you end a debate? Got to admit I am speechless. I don't even like Lucic but I can admit he outplayed Latendresse during the playoffs. Yes he had more icetime, but most of his shifts of the ice he was making habs players feel his presence. Can we say the same about GUI? I love the guy but really, you can't say he did anything impressive during his 8 games, maybe outside of the post he hit in last night game.

Anyway, the original question is not about Lucic and Latendresse, it is about what Gainey could get for the big 84. My answer is: not enough to get him moved, he has more value from a Habs point of view.

Old
05-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

Anyway, the original question is not about Lucic and Latendresse, it is about what Gainey could get for the big 84. My answer is: not enough to get him moved, he has more value from a Habs point of view.

yeah you are right, not moving Latendresse is the right move to go, anyway, it is not like he his holding a youngster from playing:he is 20 years old

Old
05-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
So this is how you end a debate? Got to admit I am speechless. I don't even like Lucic but I can admit he outplayed Latendresse during the playoffs. Yes he had more icetime, but most of his shifts of the ice he was making habs players feel his presence. Can we say the same about GUI? I love the guy but really, you can't say he did anything impressive during his 8 games, maybe outside of the post he hit in last night game.

Lucic didn't do anything impressive in Game 1. Yet in Game 2 he was on 1st line.
Lats didn't get more than 4th line minutes and was scratched.
Not saying Lucic wasn't more visible, of course he was. But i just find it unfair seeing as Lats didn't have the same chance Lucic had.

Old
05-05-2008, 01:09 AM
habfaninvictoria

What could we get for Lats.... Hmm tough one, cause he has lots of upside, could be a John Leclair type. Unfortunately I think he's destined to become this decades Turner Stevenson. Damned if we trade him damned if we don't. Only way I see getting potential value is a package with another young gun next year to a crappy team for a high draft pick (no 1- 5) in next years stocked draft.

My reasoning... He's not in our immediate plans and we have a ton of young guys who quite frankly have better potential, let them play and draft for talent that will produce a real prospect down the line.

I think he'll do well in another situation but he's doomed to repeat a Ribiero in this town. Needs the ice time, but won't produce like needed if given it here.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
What could we get for Lats.... Hmm tough one, cause he has lots of upside, could be a John Leclair type. Unfortunately I think he's destined to become this decades Turner Stevenson. Damned if we trade him damned if we don't. Only way I see getting potential value is a package with another young gun next year to a crappy team for a high draft pick (no 1- 5) in next years stocked draft.

My reasoning... He's not in our immediate plans and we have a ton of young guys who quite frankly have better potential, let them play and draft for talent that will produce a real prospect down the line.

I think he'll do well in another situation but he's doomed to repeat a Ribiero in this town. Needs the ice time, but won't produce like needed if given it here.
Lats has 16 goals in consecutive seasons.... Stevenson never scored more than 14 and that was his last full year in the league.

Lats is almost halfway to Stevenson's 75 career goals already.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Its not speed he needs... its acceleration.... He's not bad once he gets going, its just hard for him to get to top speed. He needs to work on

1) that first step
2) always moving his feet when he's on the ice, never stop, even if its just little circles
Good observation. Now...can someone tell Gui?!

'Cause once he stops its like a truck stopping (takes time to get it going again, just like Gui). Once he skates/gets it going (accelerates) it's not so bad, it's just when he is not really moving and then all of a sudden...he has to chase a puck and go from gear 1 to 2 to 3, etc (when he accelerates...that's when I'm sighing in agony, BIG time!!).

I hope Gui works on his first step the entire summer (and the rest of his skating).

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Evil Ted

The problem is

Its discouraging to guys comming out of the minors who pay dues to get skipped over a roster spot because they refuse to send him down.

The biggest mistake was keeping him over A kostitsyn, just totally handcuffed this team.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
the way Latedresse play this year, he will need a major wakeup call.. do we have to trade him to Dallas to start playing? Seriously, I know he is young but what a waste of talent.... doesnt hit, doesnt shot, doesnt do squat.. lets say its a sophomore jynx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Its discouraging to guys comming out of the minors who pay dues to get skipped over a roster spot because they refuse to send him down.

The biggest mistake was keeping him over A kostitsyn, just totally handcuffed this team.
I agree, but in some ways, make Kostitsyn wouldnt be where he is now if he wouldnt have start dominating the AHL..

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-05-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
When will people realize that the Habs need 4 strong lines. Having 2 loser lines without a superstar of 2 wont give you the cup. Free agents out of europe or college or on the market and draft and develop is the only way.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote