HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of UFA's

Old
05-04-2008, 07:26 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
2 guys I really would love to see sign with us.

1) Brooks Orpik. Big size on D. We could really use that. While we have an incredible team defense nobody seems to want to clear the crease and we don't really have a defender we can have just take out the other team's star. It's really tiring to see Rozsival and Malik et al stare as the other team does whatever they want without a guy clearing guys out of the way. He'd be pretty cheap compared to others.

2) Kristian Huselius. We're losing at the very least Shanahan and probably Straka. Who knows with Avery and Jagr. Dawes can and will take a spot but after that it's wide open. We need a pure scoring type. Huselius is streaky but he ultimately will get 25-30 goals. Hossa is out of the question and in a weak FA market, you need to find scoring sources somewhere. I think he would be a great fit. Not too expensive, not too long of a contract, but he'll be productive.

Avery Gomez Jagr
Dawes Drury Huselius
Korpikoski Dubinsky Callahan
Sjostrom Betts ???

Orpik Staal
Girardi Tyutin
Sanguinetti Backman

That back pairing scares me, but I don't see what else is possible. Backman will be here whether you like it or not.

The question marks would be either an FA signing or someone like Byers. Prucha is as good as gone and I can only hope the same with Hollweg. Orr is simply not a nightly basis player.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:32 PM
NYROrtsFan

Malone is a pretty good player... I would take him without a doubt. Impressed me on a few occasions.

Definitely an Orpik fan. Problem is he's going to get more than he's worth, but I guess that is the way things will go for now. He's not quite a top pairing guy, and our 2nd pairing is set with Tyutin and Girardi for the next 10 years, so he'll be playing on the 3rd pairing.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Soundwave

Sather will sign Marian Hossa (UFA) and Brad Stuart (UFA).

Jagr, Straka, and Shanny are goners I think.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's going to hard to sign a top pairing guy to play with Staal. As you said Girardi - Tyutin will be #2 for a while.
#3 is a toss up. So you need a #1. Staal - ????

In someways it seems like we may be stuck with Rozsival.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:37 PM
John Torturella

What do you guys think of Mark Streit from Montreal? He put up 62 points on D and is 31 in in December. What would it take to sign him?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
NYROrtsFan

Jagr has to be back or this team doesn't do anything significant... Shanny is hopefully gone but I would also like Straka back.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:41 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
UFA Defensemen in the top 25 in hits in the NHL:
ORPIK, BROOKS #2 @ 239
HEJDA, JAN #23 @ 148
COMMODORE, MIKE #24 @ 144
WARD, AARON #25 @ 143

Of course Ward isn't coming back, but I would especially push for Orpik and possibly Commodore.

Also, two Rangers in the top 10, Tyutin @ 5 & Girardi @ 8
no, not Commodore

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
I wonder though... the UFA pool this summer is not that juicey. Especially for the type of holes the Rangers need to fill.

Might be time for a deal
I honestly feel the UFA pool is perfect for the Rangers this year, and they can fill the holes they need.

Biggest needs:

1) scoring winger for Gomez

2) tough D-man

3) scoring D-man

4) depth

Solutions on market:

1) Ryder. Yes he had a down year, can we all look past it please. He has a TON of skill. And if anything, his down year will play into OUR hands and he will come cheaper because of it.

Ryder on Gomez's wing = GOLD.

2) Orpik. Cheaper than elite defenseman. We all saw what he is capable of in this series.

3) Campbell. Will he leave San Jose? And will we have enough cap space?

4) In our system.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:55 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Cole is a UFA? News to me
No, he's not. But JOrts has wanted him for awhile. And he wouldn't be a bad Shanahan replacement.

I don't want Malone, someone is going to overpay for him.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:03 PM
blandBob

Specifically on #1
Should be attractive to a winger to potentially get to play with one of the best playmaking centres there is in Scott Gomez. That said, I like Ryder a lot. I have watched him enough to think he might have some 25 - 30 goal seasons in him. He would really fit the Rangers.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:08 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
After three straight years of making the playoffs and advancing no further than the first round, Broadway needs its own young superstar for the 2008-2009 season. (yes, i am grateful for atleast having some PO hockey)

We can't wait for Cherepanov IMO. Who's available?
They got to the 2nd round twice, but I agree. Get Alexei here ASAP.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
NYR Viper

scpring winger:
ryder/rolston
tough defenseman:
orpik/commodore/vandermeer
scoring defenseman:
mccabe(available)/liles

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
2 guys I really would love to see sign with us.

1) Brooks Orpik. Big size on D. We could really use that. While we have an incredible team defense nobody seems to want to clear the crease and we don't really have a defender we can have just take out the other team's star. It's really tiring to see Rozsival and Malik et al stare as the other team does whatever they want without a guy clearing guys out of the way. He'd be pretty cheap compared to others.

2) Kristian Huselius. We're losing at the very least Shanahan and probably Straka. Who knows with Avery and Jagr. Dawes can and will take a spot but after that it's wide open. We need a pure scoring type. Huselius is streaky but he ultimately will get 25-30 goals. Hossa is out of the question and in a weak FA market, you need to find scoring sources somewhere. I think he would be a great fit. Not too expensive, not too long of a contract, but he'll be productive.

Avery Gomez Jagr
Dawes Drury Huselius
Korpikoski Dubinsky Callahan
Sjostrom Betts ???

Orpik Staal
Girardi Tyutin
Sanguinetti Backman

That back pairing scares me, but I don't see what else is possible. Backman will be here whether you like it or not.

The question marks would be either an FA signing or someone like Byers. Prucha is as good as gone and I can only hope the same with Hollweg. Orr is simply not a nightly basis player.
I like how you think. Other players I would really like us to trade for are Joel Lundqvist and Jay Bouwmeister

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Very tough off-season coming up for Glen Sather here. For starters...his captain, and best player is contemplating playing in Europe. And...he will be paid handsomely if he decides to go there. I believe the offer was what $12,000,000!!!!! That's a hell of a lot of money, and almost double what the guy can play here for. Plus...he can do so without the burden of weearing the "C" for the NY Rangers. Something that I personally think he struggles with. Not that he doesn't like playing here, I just think that burden is what he struggles with. Plus, I just don't see Marty Straka sticking around if that is the case, nor do I see Straka fitting in anywhere w/out Jagr.

Now the tough part of this for Sather is... At what point will he know if Jagr plans on returning for another season? Or 4 more seasons, as he pointed out to recently. He wants to play for 4 more years...but where?

If Sather fails to convince Jagr to return, he still has to deal with Avery. I think it is pretty clear that Avery wants to play in NY. This guy was meant to be here! He and the NY Ranger IMO are a perfect fit!...but, how does Avery deal with his injury, and what does this injury do to his value? For anyone that doesn;t think Avery deserves more than $3,000,000...think again. This guy is worth his weight in gold. The Rangers record speaks for itself with him in the lineup. With him out of the lineup, I guarantee this teams loses charachter rapidly! But again...how does his little contract dispute near the end of the season, or his injury come into play here?

Onto Shanny, I think he sticks around next season. When the question was posed to him after the loss today, he said he just wants to concentrate on playing hockey. Doesn't sound like a guy ready to retire next season. I think he'll be back...but what is Sathe rgoing to offer...if he does offer?

Next Sather has to deal with his defense. Roszy, Mara, Malik, Hutch all UFA's. Staal, Tyuts, Girardi all will be back. That's three definates...and of them there truly isn't one real physical presence, nor is there a PP Quarterback.

But for Glen Sather, I think the hardes thing here is limiting his spending. I see a huge supply and demand issue with the up and coming class. Bottom line is there really isn't a lot of top-end talent, so the teams that are bidding might throw out some rediculous offers. Not too mention the cap is also increasing next season.

So, while there are names out there that IMO can and would help this club, the main question is how much Sather is willing to spend to get them here.

Cambell, Redden, and Orpik IMO are the defenseman he will target.

Hossa(who I hate), Rolston, and Malone some possible forwards that could fit in here.

But...all of the aforementioned are going to get paid handsomly, whether it is by the Rangers, or by someone else.

Last year, my hat was off to Glen Sather in the off-season. I think he did a tremendous job. Bt this off-season is really going to put his GM skills to the test.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:15 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I've given him lots of thought lately also... but all things considered... he re-emerged from obscurity in '06-07 and his numbers are inflated playing with Iginla. But he's gonna command $5M for 4 yrs or so... take him away from Jarome, he's probably a 55-pt. second liner - not what he's going to be paid.

He might not be worth it.

The problem is too many question marks with these UFAs... guys like Huselius, Ryder, Liles, Malone fall into the same category where it's unknown how they'll produce... then there's Rolstons, Blakes and Demitras that are aging.

If Jagr doesn't return, I'd love to see this:

Prucha-Gomez-Hossa
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Sjostrom-Dubinsky-Rolston
Hollweg-Betts-Moore

Staal-Pitkanen
Tyutin-Girardi
Orpik-Baranka

1st in '08, Sanguinetti, Dawes for Pitkanen

Old
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
I've given him lots of thought lately also... but all things considered... he re-emerged from obscurity in '06-07 and his numbers are inflated playing with Iginla. But he's gonna command $5M for 4 yrs or so... take him away from Jarome, he's probably a 55-pt. second liner - not what he's going to be paid.

He might not be worth it.

The problem is too many question marks with these UFAs... guys like Huselius, Ryder, Liles, Malone fall into the same category where it's unknown how they'll produce... then there's Rolstons, Blakes and Demitras that are aging.

If Jagr doesn't return, I'd love to see this:

Prucha-Gomez-Hossa
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Sjostrom-Dubinsky-Rolston
Hollweg-Betts-Moore

Staal-Pitkanen
Tyutin-Girardi
Orpik-Baranka

hahahahahahahahha, im sorry but that is the funniest post i have ever read on here, you should be a comedian

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Dantes19

I think that's giving up too much for Pitkanen.
Also, IMO, he's not really what we need at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:53 PM
NYR Viper

it all depends on so many things....

1) will jagr return

2) is korpikoski ready to play third line minutes?

3) did they get sjostrom to play on the 4th line?...or do they see more upside?

4) what will the UFA's this summer require monetarily to sign?

5) what will avery want?

6) what will rozsival want?

IMO there are too many questions.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:22 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
hahahahahahahahha, im sorry but that is the funniest post i have ever read on here, you should be a comedian
Probably bad timing for defending my case, I actually am a comedian... see, it's effortless.

Old
05-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

UFA's I want:

JM Liles
Andrew Brunette
Kristian Huselius
Brad Stuart

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:25 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

you can get pitkanen for prucha and tyutin

and that can be to much on our part too

hes sucked over there and costs alot

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:25 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
UFA's I want:

JM Liles
Andrew Brunette
Kristian Huselius
Brad Stuart
i actually like this alot...!im not too sure but is brunette a speedster or a PWF type player?

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Edge

Malone scares me.

Someone is going to pay him a lot of money and be disappointed when he's only a 20 goal, 40 point player.

He's a good player, but someone is going to reward him with a star contract. And Malone is not a star.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
i actually like this alot...!im not too sure but is brunette a speedster or a PWF type player?
He's a completely underrated play maker. He's signed at 1.6 and averages around 50-60 points per season. He's going to be 35 at the start of the season (I'd give him 2 years), but he still has great speed, good size and is very strong on the puck. If we let Straka go, our only true playmaker is Gomez, Brunette addresses this.

I posted this in another thread:

Resign Jagr (1 year extension), Avery, and Vally.
Let Shanny, Straka, Rosival, Mara and Struds walk.

Sign Liles, Brunette (2yrs 4.2mil), Stuart and Huselius.

Deal Tyutin and Prucha for Christian Ehrhoff.

Brunette - Dubi - Jagr
Huselius - Gomez - Dawes
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Korpedo - Betts - Sjostrom / Orr

Staal - Liles
Girardi - Stuart
Ehrhoff - Potter/Baranka
Backman

Hank
Vally

This was my idea for the 08-09 deadline:
Dawes, Callahan, Ehrhoff/Baranka/Potter + 1st in 09 for Gaborik

Backload his contract so we can fit him under the cap.

09-10 looks like:

Drury - Gomez - Gaborik
Huselius - AA - Cherepanov
Brunette - Dubi - Avery
Korpedo - Betts - Sjostrom / Byers

Staal - Liles
Potter/Baranka/Ehrhoff - Sanguinetti
Girardi - Stuart
Sauer

Hank
Vally

I think that is all a bit too pricey though, I'm too bad with cap figures to figure it out.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Trever1982*

There's no way Sean Avery is going to return to the Rangers unless Sather makes an offer he can't refuse - teams will pay big money for him this summer and I highly doubt he will sign here

Trever1982* is offline   Reply With Quote